Menu

Cooking with Greens - Ideas please!

jen3kids

I've joined a CSA again for the summer, and already I'm at a loss as to what to make with my greens.

This is what I got today...

2 big, beautiful bunches of rainbow chard

1 big bunch of bok choy

1 big head romaine lettuce

small bunch kale - Russian ?

1 bunch green onions (about 6-7)

small bunch radishes

small bunch cilantro

garlic scapes

So far, this year, I've made a kale, white bean and chicken dish, quiche with rainbow chard, caesar salad.

What else?  I know there are a ton more, but my mind is stuck!  

Thanks,

Jen

I'd use the green onions, cilantro and bok choy in some sort of Asian inspired dish, either with rice or rice noodles. Quite a few recipes popped up when I googled these ingredients together (using our terms - spring onions for green onions and coriander for cilantro). Enjoy!

My favorite thing to make with kale is pesto (instead of using basil, use chopped kale) Spread it on pizza and top with tomatoes and chevre cheese and basil. You can also use kale pesto on pasta. We like it sauteed with a little bit of bacon and olive oil.

I've joined a CSA again for the summer, and already I'm at a loss as to what to make with my greens.

This is what I got today...

2 big, beautiful bunches of rainbow chard

1 big bunch of bok choy

1 big head romaine lettuce

small bunch kale - Russian ?

1 bunch green onions (about 6-7)

small bunch radishes

small bunch cilantro

garlic scapes

So far, this year, I've made a kale, white bean and chicken dish, quiche with rainbow chard, caesar salad.

What else?  I know there are a ton more, but my mind is stuck!  

Thanks,

Jen

1 big bunch of bok choy- Add to a stir fry

1 big head romaine lettuce- make a taco salad

small bunch kale - Russian ? - Kale chips

1 bunch green onions (about 6-7)- half to the taco salad, half to the stir fry

small bunch radishes - icky

small bunch cilantro- chop and add to said taco salad and/or most Mexican dishes

garlic scapes- what are these?

I'd put the book choy, green onions, and cilantro in a chicken broth soup with either dumplings or noodles and some thinly sliced chicken or pork.

The chard and romain I'd just eat in a salad. (Greek salad I'd a favorite here)

I'd put the kale in a zoupa Toscana.

I'd put the garlic scapes in everything and the radishes in nothing because I don't like them 😬

My favorite thing to make with kale is pesto (instead of using basil, use chopped kale) Spread it on pizza and top with tomatoes and chevre cheese and basil. You can also use kale pesto on pasta. We like it sauteed with a little bit of bacon and olive oil.

Could you share a recipe please?

My two favorite things to do with radishes:

Roasted radishes with greens

Slice the radish roots and toss them in a small bowl with olive oil, balsamic and salt.  Place on parchment and roast at 425.  Wash the radish greens then toss them in the remains of the olive oil/balsamic mixture.  When the radishes are about done (which depends on the thickness of your slices), place the greens on the parchment.  In a few minutes they will wilt.  You can roast them to a crunch if you like.

Radishes and sugar snaps

Destring your sugar snap peas then blanch them in a pot of boiling water.  Drain and rinse with cold water when the peas are vivid green.  Place in a bowl.  Add radish slices. Toss with a dressing made from rice wine vinegar, olive or canola oil, with a few drops of sesame oil.  Garnish with sesame seeds.

I love green garlic.  Do you have much?  I make a couple of sauces for noodles with them, or I toss them in with other greens.  Sometimes I'll use them in place of green onions.  You can just lightly saute them in a bit of oil and add a little rice vinegar and eat them.  They are so good!

You can dry the kale and onions.  I dry a lot of kale, crush it, then add it to soups, stews, mashed potatoes, and lots of other dishes over the winter.  You can freeze it also.  It's an extremely healthy and versatile green.

You can freeze bok choy and chard: http://www.ehow.com/how_5798869_freeze-bok-choy.html  and http://gardenergeorge.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Harvest-Blanch-Freeze-and-Store-Swiss-Chard

Just eat what you can and freeze or dry the rest. You'll be thankful this winter!

I've never seen any method for lettuce other than extending the fridge life: http://www.freep.com/article/20130516/FEATURES02/305160024/celery-vegetables-storage

Hope this helps.

Those CSA bundles always give you so many greens!  ha  With kale, I end up using a lot of it in smoothies.  Almost every day, I put a giant handful in the blender with carrots, berries, half a banana, and coconut milk.  Yum! 

We put cilantro in everything:  salads, sandwiches, soups, stews. 

Romaine makes great sandwich lettuce, or just in a salad on its own.

I never know what to do with the radishes...

That looks interesting!

You can use chard in place of spinach in any recipe if you remove the stems. Last week I made spinach and potato samosas but used swiss chard instead. They were really good.

Also remember greens cook down a LOT. Even if it seems like a huge amount when it's raw, your family will probably eat a whole bunch once it's cooked.