Menu

How the renewal system work at your library?

In our old hometown the loan period for books was two weeks. So, if you checked out a book and decided the next day that you would probably need it longer than two weeks, you could renew it and you were now allowed to keep it for four weeks. The renewal period began the day it was due. But in our current library system, the renewal period begins the day you renew it. This library has 3 week loan periods for books. So, if I check out a book and decide the next day that I'll need it longer than three weeks and renew it, I only get to keep it for 3 weeks and 1 day. Does this seem wrong to you? Or am I the only one who doesn't get this?

Initial checkout period is 3 weeks (for books). If there are no holds on the item, you can renew it twice for an additional 3 weeks each time. Renewal date is based on the date you renew. I believe this is to make sure others get a chance to put a hold on the item before you renew. Otherwise they would potentially have to wait 9 weeks, instead of in 3 week increments.

Books are checked out for 2 weeks and you can have up to 2 renewals. Sometimes I will come home from the library, get on the computer, and immediately renew my books twice. That gives me a total of 6 weeks for the books.

BOO HOO I really miss this (among other things) about the Houston library system. Dallas is just like the OP's. I feel like I'm micromanaging my library books!

Initial check-out time is 4 weeks for books, 1 week for videos. We can renew if there are no holds on the item and we have no more than $3 outstanding fines on our card.

This is our system, too, with a four-day grace period with no fines, so the checkout period is "really" 4 weeks and 4 days, or 11 days for dvd/videos ;-)

We can also renew twice in a row, over the internet or phone.

If I need a book a long time, I can reserve it on my kid's cards, one kid after the other....but then I really am hogging the book, and might as well buy it.

In our old hometown the loan period for books was two weeks. So, if you checked out a book and decided the next day that you would probably need it longer than two weeks, you could renew it and you were now allowed to keep it for four weeks. The renewal period began the day it was due. But in our current library system, the renewal period begins the day you renew it. This library has 3 week loan periods for books. So, if I check out a book and decide the next day that I'll need it longer than three weeks and renew it, I only get to keep it for 3 weeks and 1 day. Does this seem wrong to you? Or am I the only one who doesn't get this?

Our library renews from the day we put the renewal in. Actually, all the libraries I've ever belonged to have. So we wait until the day before or the day it is due to renew.

[but in our current library system, the renewal period begins the day you renew it. This library has 3 week loan periods for books.

This is how ours is. We are also limited to five renewals now. I think this serves two purposes. They say they like the books to be on the shelves for browsers, not just people who put a hold on it. I think it helps them keep a track on lost library books. Someone could keep renewing a book indefinitely as long as no one else had a hold on it, and it could be because the book is missing.

Non-fiction videos and everything else (except "entertainment" videos) are 3 week rentals. Ent. videos are 7 days. We get one day grace period on fines.

Ours is 3 weeks from date of renewal. So I renew towards the *end* of my 3 weeks. I just keep an eye on my account online, and if something is coming up due that I don't intend to return, I'll renew it. Of course, if someone has placed it on hold during that time, it won't allow you to renew.

Of all my complaints about my library, this just isn't one of them. :)

That's how our library works (the way your new library works). Our checkout period is 3 weeks, and we can renew up to 9 times unless someone else requests the book. There are multiple copies of most books, so sometimes if I wait a day or two, the request is fulfilled and I can go ahead and renew the book after all, but I have to pay the overdue fee for the days I was waiting for the book to be renewable.

I keep track of our library books online, including requests and renewals. If that's available at your library, it would allow you to renew your books on the due date without making a trip to the library.

Vancouver, Washington....2 weeks at checkout, and then two weeks additional from the day you renew it. BUT..... :D they don't charge late fees so they don't really care if you go over a bit. We live in a large library system and they want people to really use the library system, so they do all they can to encourage it. If you loose a book, they will forgive one every year or so and not make you pay either. I was talking to the children's librarian one day about the lax policies and she said that if they had stricter policies, and people kept books for less time, they would have to get rid of books because they would have no place to store them! They think of the lax checkout policy as a free storage place :D. We don't have huge beautiful libraries with gorgeous tile floors, but they are decent (very government building looking), clean, friendly and brimming with books. Just they way a library should be! Oooooh, one more brag.....they will also mail you books for free! They put a donation envelope in the book and if you want to contribute to the postage, you can, if not, you don't have to. I opt to donate our old books to the library book sales to support the library.

I live on the border of two states so I also have a card in the next state. The Portland Oregon system is different.

2 weeks at checkout for most people but 6 weeks for educators. They do charge a small late fee (5-10 a day I think), and renewal starts the day you renew it. Educator renewals are 6 weeks also :D They will mail also for postage only.

Both systems allow you to reserve materials online, and manage your account online, and the Portland system has a lot of audio books online that you can download for free and then put on an Ipod or burn to disk.

4 weeks for check out on all materials. You can renew one time and the renewal starts when you renew. (So do it on the day that it is due!) You can only renew if there are no holds. The fine is .05 per day but stops at $1. Somtimes if I need the book a little longer than 8 weeks, I just pay the $1 and keep it.