Menu

Dr HIve--Tick Bite reaction? Update post 30

Chris in VA

So I pulled a brown tick off my side yesterday. It was not attached terribly long--probably less than 5-8 hours.

I know I got the head.

It was just plain brown, no spots, not black, not tiny--probably half an eraser sized. There was a very small red mark.

Later when changing for bed, I noticed it had swollen and gotten lumpy.\

Can't show a pic, but it's as long as my pinky, and slightly less that two fingers wide. It's red and bumpy.

Going to the Dr, but...is it likely just an allergic reaction? Lymes?

UPDATE --Seems ok. Just pulled one off hubby. See Post 30.

That doesn't sound typical for our tick bites here, which usually leave a mark like a mosquito bite.

Our ped recently told me a Lyme reaction will take a while to appear, definitely not in a day.

I'm concluding it could be an allergic reaction, but you should definitely keep an eye on other symptoms developing.

There are many tick borne diseases to worry about in addition to Lyme.  And some of them (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever comes to mind) are much more dangerous than Lyme.  As in it can be fatal if not treated promptly and correctly.  Here's a good geographical breakdown of TBD by the CDC.

But . . I'm guessing this soon it would tend to be more of an allergic reaction to the bite than an actual TBD.  But that's just a guess.

Ticks, and tick-borne diseases, are a big issue where I currently live. Our health unit recently sent out an advisory about how to prevent tick bites, how to remove ticks, etc. They say that if the tick is attached to you for less than 24 hours, the likelihood of being infected is small, but you should monitor yourself for a few days to see if any symptoms develop ... of course, they neglected to tell us what symptoms are common with lymes or the other, nastier tick-borne diseases around here, but I guess Google can close that gap if necessary.

Since you're going to the doctor and he should be familiar with all the relevant information, I wouldn't worry about it. The tick was attached for a short enough time that, according to our med people at least, you should be in the clear. I'd assume allergic reaction unless told otherwise ... but I would get that appointment ASAP.

Around here, they do a "preventative" dose (200 mg) of doxycycline if it's within 72-96 hours and tell you to come back if you have any "flu-like"symptoms in the next two or three weeks.  This is for a tick bite with no other symptoms.

FYI, that is not going to do it.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/written_testimony/5%20Maloney-Prophylaxis.pdf

Thanks again--I esp appreciate hearing from you, Lizzie! (I was hoping you'd chime in.)

I can't get to the Dr until Friday, so I'm going to wait and see.

So, my understanding (based on the webiste) is that a test for Lyme won't be effective until at least 2 weeks go by?

I don't think it was a deer tick--but the rash looks similar to this: http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/images/phocagallery/MedicalPhotos/Rashes/Lyme/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_RashLyme13.jpg

Thanks again--I esp appreciate hearing from you, Lizzie! (I was hoping you'd chime in.)

I can't get to the Dr until Friday, so I'm going to wait and see.

So, my understanding (based on the webiste) is that a test for Lyme won't be effective until at least 2 weeks go by?

I don't think it was a deer tick--but the rash looks similar to this: http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/images/phocagallery/MedicalPhotos/Rashes/Lyme/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_RashLyme13.jpg

Correct, the test won't pick up antibodies for 2-6 weeks.  With a rash that looks like that (what they call atypical) I might well push for no less than 28 days of doxy.

While on it, eat first, take with a full glass of water, don't lie down for an hour after, take probiotics and stay out of the sun.

Around here, they do a "preventative" dose (200 mg) of doxycycline if it's within 72-96 hours and tell you to come back if you have any "flu-like"symptoms in the next two or three weeks.  This is for a tick bite with no other symptoms.

mercy. I'd be on antibiotics all summer.

mercy. I'd be on antibiotics all summer.

You are fortunate to live in an area that is not endemic, perhaps.

VA, esp No VA, is a hotbed for Lyme and co-infections.  I know very few people who have not had a close, personal run-in with Lyme and co-infections.  It's frightening, and it is potentially debilitating and disabling.  Personally, I will never, never be the same after going undiagnosed and untreated for years.  Caution is warranted, and wise.

You are fortunate to live in an area that is not endemic, perhaps.

VA, esp No VA, is a hotbed for Lyme and co-infections. I know very few people who have not had a close, personal run-in with Lyme and co-infections. It's frightening, and it is potentially debilitating and disabling. Personally, I will never, never be the same after going undiagnosed and untreated for years. Caution is warranted, and wise.

We live in Northern VA... Well, not in NOVA, but the northern part of VA if you know what I mean. We find at least one tick on us among the 11 of us each day. Luckily we only have had 2 cases of Lyme and they were easily identifiable. However, I've never had a doctor mention preventative treatment?

When we lived in Alexandria City I had a friend get Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  I had already had Lyme Disease (contracted while I lived in southern MD).  That's when I learned there are a heck of a lot of tick-borne diseases.  Because you have a rash reaction, I'd push for the antibiotics.  Risk vs. benefit.  It would be worth it to me to deal with the temporary GERD, etc. than deal with other possibly long-term TBD effects.

We live in Northern VA... Well, not in NOVA, but the northern part of VA if you know what I mean. We find at least one tick on us among the 11 of us each day. Luckily we only have had 2 cases of Lyme and they were easily identifiable. However, I've never had a doctor mention preventative treatment?

The one hefty dose of doxy as a preventative treatment is not effective, so it's not worthwhile.  That might be why you've not heard of it.  :)

I meant to be advocating to be cautious, wary, and very aware of the possible consequences of a tick bite, rather than advocating for the "prophylactic one dose of doxy" which I think is a waste of time.

It's wise to be wary.  We've had cases of Lyme in our family (obviously), as well as babesiosis, erlichiosis, bartonella, RMSF, Colorado Tick Fever (yes, contracted in VA), protomyxzoa rheumatica, and some other lesser known TBDs.  It's quite an extensive list.  I'm all for caution.

Just to keep you from completely panicking, it is possible to get a regular old infection from a tick bite, just like any scratch or cut. Tick mouths can be dirty, and your skin can too. If nasties get under your skin it can quickly cause an infection. It is worth going to the doctor and having the tests done, but a rash like that doesn't always indicate worst case scenario.

oo that's going to be hard--I work outside.

I have GERD--so it's going to irritate the heck out of my stomach, won't it?

Oh blech.

Thanks so much for the info, though!!!

Yeah, it isn't a sunburn, it's more of a chemical reaction and it is seriously painful.

Some Dr.'s will use Biaxin instead in the summer but I don't know if that is for right away use.

Make sure you take probiotics 1-2 hours before you take it, then eat something, then take it with a full glass of something and stay upright for at least an hour.  Did I mention no dairy 2 hours hours either side already?

The one hefty dose of doxy as a preventative treatment is not effective, so it's not worthwhile. That might be why you've not heard of it. :)

I meant to be advocating to be cautious, wary, and very aware of the possible consequences of a tick bite, rather than advocating for the "prophylactic one dose of doxy" which I think is a waste of time.

It's wise to be wary. We've had cases of Lyme in our family (obviously), as well as babesiosis, erlichiosis, bartonella, RMSF, Colorado Tick Fever (yes, contracted in VA), protomyxzoa rheumatica, and some other lesser known TBDs. It's quite an extensive list. I'm all for caution.

Wow, I've never even heard of some of those. We did have One child with rmsf though. No fun, luckily our ped thought to test for it.

The one hefty dose of doxy as a preventative treatment is not effective, so it's not worthwhile.  That might be why you've not heard of it.   :)

It's wise to be wary.  We've had cases of Lyme in our family (obviously), as well as babesiosis, erlichiosis, bartonella, RMSF, Colorado Tick Fever (yes, contracted in VA), protomyxzoa rheumatica, and some other lesser known TBDs.  It's quite an extensive list.  I'm all for caution.

Yup, here too, wary as all get out.  Eldest has Borellia (Lyme) Bartonella, erlichiosis and babesiosis.  Still not sure if youngest has co-infections or not with her borellia. 

Wow, I've never even heard of some of those. We did have One child with rmsf though. No fun, luckily our ped thought to test for it.

Apparently, our family should play the lottery.   :glare: (not glaring at you, glaring at the ticks)

FWIW, my LLMD is of the opinion that if one treats quickly and thoroughly for Lyme, one has a better chance of beating any other infections that may have been transmitted by the tick.  Lyme has a tendency to lower a person's immune response, so if the Lyme is treated - a person's immune system may be able to beat some of the other co-infections that are not treated by the same meds as Lyme.  Not always, but sometimes.  If the Lyme goes unchecked and untreated, the immune system suffers and one is unable to fight those other infections, which can then blossom into very serious situations.  

Yup, here too, wary as all get out.  Eldest has Borellia (Lyme) Bartonella, erlichiosis and babesiosis.  Still not sure if youngest has co-infections or not with her borellia. 

Lizzie, I liked your post to agree with you and sympathize with you.   :grouphug: You know that.  :)  Not to like that your kiddos are dealing with this stuff.  Just had to clarify.  

The same thing happened to our dog after I pulled a tick off him. He got a lump about the size of a marble. It didn't seem to be causing him any pain or anything. The vet said we should just wait and see and it sort of slowly got smaller and went a way.

Lizzie, I liked your post to agree with you and sympathize with you.   :grouphug: You know that.   :)  Not to like that your kiddos are dealing with this stuff.  Just had to clarify.  

I knew that my friend, no need to clarify. :grouphug: :grouphug:

And we are still learning more about these diseases, and new ones. heck, in veterinary medicine, in the past decade, we learned that heartworms, which are transmitted by mosquitoes, can have their OWN parasites, inside them. So a mosquito gives you the heartworm, and the heartworm gives you the wolbachia. It's insane. 

So I pulled a brown tick off my side yesterday. It was not attached terribly long--probably less than 5-8 hours.

I know I got the head.

It was just plain brown, no spots, not black, not tiny--probably half an eraser sized. There was a very small red mark.

Later when changing for bed, I noticed it had swollen and gotten lumpy.\

Can't show a pic, but it's as long as my pinky, and slightly less that two fingers wide. It's red and bumpy.

Going to the Dr, but...is it likely just an allergic reaction? Lymes?

We were camping last week and I had one tick (removed completely) which gave me a fairly large, red, itchy bump for several days.  I can still feel a very small bump there, but it is no longer itchy.  A couple of my kids also had ticks and I am checking their "spots" regularly, and reminding myself of symptoms to be watching for.  I put antibiotic ointment on the bites for several days - not sure if that is at all sensible or not.  I only managed to keep one of the ticks which is sitting in a baggie on our kitchen counter, though I'm not sure how long I should save it.

We were using a fairly strong insect repellent (Sawyers 20% picaridin) and so even my dd who is a tick magnet (probably because she is constantly going into the woods to investigate bugs) only had 1 tick attached (to her rear end, of all places).

Uggh.

Just pulled off the smallest tick imaginable from dh's back. Deer tick. Seriously, the size of the head of a pin.

He's going to the DR tomorrow to begin Lyme treatment.

My bites have faded and were not from a deer tick.

So glad I had this information right away for him tonight!!

• 2 months later...

Apparently, our family should play the lottery. :glare: (not glaring at you, glaring at the ticks)

FWIW, my LLMD is of the opinion that if one treats quickly and thoroughly for Lyme, one has a better chance of beating any other infections that may have been transmitted by the tick. Lyme has a tendency to lower a person's immune response, so if the Lyme is treated - a person's immune system may be able to beat some of the other co-infections that are not treated by the same meds as Lyme. Not always, but sometimes. If the Lyme goes unchecked and untreated, the immune system suffers and one is unable to fight those other infections, which can then blossom into very serious situations.

Is there a certain window of time from the bite date that is considered quick/early enough to be thorough? Edited by Lakeside

Is there a certain window of time from the bite date that is considered quick/early enough to be thorough?

I would say immediately after the bite.  Perhaps within a couple of weeks.  If course, I am not a doctor.  Nor do I play one on tv.