Menu

aprons

swellmomma

I want to start wearing aprons again, particularily since I work split shift 5 days a week and need to keep my clothes neat and tidy in between shifts. Currently I often have to change my shirt before heading to work in the afternoon. I used to have a plain black bib style apron but would like to have cute looking ones, not merely practical. Both half style and full bib style. So if you wear aprons do you make your own or do you buy them? If you buy them where do you get them from? If you make them, what is your favorite pattern? I don't have time to try sewing any until summer but hope to at that time, so locations to buy in the meantime is very helpful.

Swellmomma, I haven't ever shopped there before, either.  But after reading so many threads here and on FB about people who would like to be able to make a living from home, I have decided to start looking into ways of helping them out, if I'm going to be buying an apron (or whatever) anyway.  

Hmmm.  I like that one. 

I also have a thought that I should not be having.  

I have an enormous stash of fabric that I was going to use for quilting, but I have not quilted in awhile, and my house is not set up for it anymore...so I need to find a way to use up fabric faster than fat quarters at a time.  

Hmmmm

I love my apron!! I made it from a pattern http://sewliberated.com/products/emmeline-apron-sewing-pattern. Sorry I don't know how to do a cute link, but I seriously love this pattern and I'm going to add it anyway. The pattern is easy to follow and turns out a really cute apron.

That is a great design :) And looks like something even I can do with my novice sewing skills

Found one I love, love love, but it says it will only fit up to size 14.  ugh, bummer.  Maybe I should buy it and make it my weight loss goal lol. it's this one 

You could message the seller & see if she can make you a custom one for a larger size. I've had lots of custom things made for me from Etsy sellers. :)

An apron was one of the first sewing projects I every did. Especially if you want a few different options, you'll have it down pat by the last one :)

I've gotten two from etsy, 2 from a thrift shop and one big plain black one that is from William Sonoma that I have no idea how I came by- I've just always had it since I was a pretty young adult. Possibly it was a gift. My requirements are full bib and pockets. No pockets, no sale. I never used to wear aprons except that black one when baking but now I wear them a lot.

Maybe not your style, but I like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/183377956/brown-waxed-canvas-pullover-pinafore?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=apron&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_my_etsy=true&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery

Waxed canvas lasts forever forever, and it looks easily adjustable for a lot of styles.

I would bet that the seller of the one you linked would be willing to make one custom for you in your size (or you could search custom aprons)

One of the great things about Etsy is that you can talk to the seller and often get something custom made. I'd contact that seller and see if she can make it in your size. I've done that with jewelry, printables and photos. Give it a shot!

I am seeing cute aprons in stores more and more these days.  I think they're coming into style!  I like to support Etsy, so I'd definitely look there for aprons.

My daughter gets them at a store called Patina, but they usually have some available on their online site as well:

www.patinastores.com

I can't believe how old I was before I figured out how important aprons are. ::face palm::

I only have two: one has green stripes, from who-knows-where. :-) The other is a black-and-white print with a ruffly bottom that someone gave me.

One of the great things about Etsy is that you can talk to the seller and often get something custom made. I'd contact that seller and see if she can make it in your size. I've done that with jewelry, printables and photos. Give it a shot!

I agree with asking the seller. I needed a stencil twice the size of the one on sale at Etsy. Not only did they make it to the dimensions I needed but sold it to me at an extremely good price. Couldn't have been happier.

Ikea aprons have a great design. It has one long tie that threads from one side, around the neck, and back down to the other side. There's no need to adjust the neck separately, it happens when you tie.

I think the answer to most everything can be answered Ikea, or Mason jars.

I think the answer to most everything can be answered Ikea, or Mason jars.

I am beginning to learn that hahaha.  I can get mason jars locally, but think I need to plan an ikea trip when I have no kids this summer and time to wander at will and room in the car to load up all my finds lol