Menu

Can a seasoned homeschooler please help me understand (and set my mind at ease!)?

A little bit of background is that my DD started homeschooling in 8th grade. I was under the complete impression that if you are homeschooled you must get a GED !!! so the agreement between DD and me was that if she didn't want to go back to school for High School she would go to an accredited online school and get her diploma. Well, if anyone has read my past posts, we are beginning to have some issues with the school she is at - and basically, for her to enjoy her senior year and to take the rigorous courses she wants, she needs to be homeschooled and not get her accredited diploma. DD informed me that most HS'ers don't get a GED and I just want help understanding this one issue I am seeing on college websites- they ask homeschoolers to present an 'official diploma' or GED... Does official mean accredited? Or will my homeschool diploma suffice? Please help!  :001_smile:  :confused:  I really don't want to have to get her a GED - but she is done with the school she is at. She wants to take 2 AP's and a couple of courses that she just can't take with them and overall she feels she can have a more competitive transcript if she drops her full enrollment at the online school. 

If homeschooling in your state is legal and you homeschool according to state law and your student completes your high school, you can issue your student a valid official high school diploma.

This diploma is not accredited, but an accredited diploma is very rarely needed (the isolated case when somebody requires one makes national news).

Users on these boards had their students admitted to a variety of different colleges and universities with parent issued transcripts (the diploma is issued after graduation; college application requires a transcript.)

If homeschooling in your state is legal and you homeschool according to state law and your student completes your high school, you can issue your student a valid official high school diploma.

This diploma is not accredited, but an accredited diploma is very rarely needed (the isolated case when somebody requires one makes national news).

Users on these boards had their students admitted to a variety of different colleges and universities with parent issued transcripts (the diploma is issued after graduation; college application requires a transcript.)

Thank you for your response :)

The one question I keep having about state laws and such is that it is standard  in our state to take VA history.... Since dd was at Laurel Springs, she obviously wasn't going to take it... Does she need to take VA history for her homeschool to be official?

The one question I keep having about state laws and such is that it is standard  in our state to take VA history.... Since dd was at Laurel Springs, she obviously wasn't going to take it... Does she need to take VA history for her homeschool to be official?

Only if it is required by Virginia Homeschool Law. Hopefully someone from Virginia will see this--or you can start a new thread--or check HSLDA for Va. law.

There's no law in Virginia requiring state history.  Your homeschooling is official if you file a notice of intent.  That's all.  And the parent issues the diploma.

Here's a link that explains it, especially low on the page:

http://vahomeschoolers.org/guide/teens/homeschool-diploma/

None of the state college want anything more than a mom-generated transcript.  We'll buy a fancy diploma that I'll sign too.  As long as you meet the suggested requirements for admission (4 years of math, 3 years of science with lab, 4 years of English, 3 years of a single foreign language, etc. etc.), you're fine.  The more selective ones have told me that they prefer that homeschooled kids have a few AP's or SAT II's, but they're willing to consider a student without that if there are other proofs of achievement (extensive 4-H experience, unique volunteer work, etc.).

There's no law in Virginia requiring state history.  Your homeschooling is official if you file a notice of intent.  That's all.  And the parent issues the diploma.

Here's a link that explains it, especially low on the page:

http://vahomeschoolers.org/guide/teens/homeschool-diploma/

None of the state college want anything more than a mom-generated transcript.  We'll buy a fancy diploma that I'll sign too.  As long as you meet the suggested requirements for admission (4 years of math, 3 years of science with lab, 4 years of English, 3 years of a single foreign language, etc. etc.), you're fine.  The more selective ones have told me that they prefer that homeschooled kids have a few AP's or SAT II's, but they're willing to consider a student without that if there are other proofs of achievement (extensive 4-H experience, unique volunteer work, etc.).

Do you think it will matter that DD's AP's are not being taken until senior year? For the most part colleges in VA don't apply to DD- her absolute dream college is Bennington, but her second choice is in Maine- Unity College. She is going to email them to make sure they are cool with HS'ers.. She has talked with both previously, but that was when she was going to graduate with an LS diploma. 

Do you think it will matter that DD's AP's are not being taken until senior year? For the most part colleges in VA don't apply to DD- her absolute dream college is Bennington, but her second choice is in Maine- Unity College. She is going to email them to make sure they are cool with HS'ers.. She has talked with both previously, but that was when she was going to graduate with an LS diploma. 

Ask the colleges you're thinking of.  The ones I talked to preferred a few APs/SAT II's taken in the junior year as part of the application.  If you wait until the senior year, all you have are the classes, no scores.  Maybe that doesn't matter to them.

Do you think it will matter that DD's AP's are not being taken until senior year?

AP classes taken during senior year won't get the scores back in time for college applications. They will show up as "planned AP course" on her transcript, but that is not the same. I do not know anything about the colleges you mentioned; if they are very selective, it would be wise to have some outside validation in the form of test scores or dual enrollment grades before she applies.

AP classes taken during senior year won't get the scores back in time for college applications. They will show up as "planned AP course" on her transcript, but that is not the same. I do not know anything about the colleges you mentioned; if they are very selective, it would be wise to have some outside validation in the form of test scores or dual enrollment grades before she applies.

Ok - I get that.. However, would you agree that the AP's would still be good on the transcript because they show that she is challenging herself more and more each year? Other than ACT scores, I don't think she will have any outside scores except that her online school courses have the validation of proctored final exams. 

Ok - I get that.. However, would you agree that the AP's would still be good on the transcript because they show that she is challenging herself more and more each year? Other than ACT scores, I don't think she will have any outside scores except that her online school courses have the validation of proctored final exams. 

Yes, APs in senior year are better than not having them at all.

Yes, AP courses on the transcript are good.

But why can't she have any outside scores? You could simply have her take a few SAT2 subject tests. (Again, I have no idea whether these schools are selective; they may not be)

The AP scores come out after the applications process, so AP's will not show up on the application and not be considered in their decision.  That doesn't mean she won't get it, but they will not help her get in.  If you could do them Junior year, they will be considered for admission.

The AP scores come out after the applications process, so AP's will not show up on the application and not be considered in their decision.  That doesn't mean she won't get it, but they will not help her get in.  If you could do them Junior year, they will be considered for admission.

I'd love to do them Junior year, but she finishes 11th grade in a few weeks!  :001_smile:  I will look in to the SAT11 subject tests... Had not really considered them (and don't know much about them).

I'd love to do them Junior year, but she finishes 11th grade in a few weeks!  :001_smile:  I will look in to the SAT11 subject tests... Had not really considered them (and don't know much about them).

Then you need to hurry. It is probably too late for the June 7 test date (tomorrow is the last day to sign up for that one), and only the earliest fall test date will get scores back in time for college applications.

Then you need to hurry. It is probably too late for the June 7 test date (tomorrow is the last day to sign up for that one), and only the earliest fall test date will get scores back in time for college applications.

Are you sure only one will in the fall? It said scores are available 5 weeks after the test.. Which would tell me October and November would be okay dates as long as she is not applying early decision... no? Even if she could take them in June, I wouldn't have her do it. She is way overworked with school right now and is totally stressed about the ACT (2 fantastic practice scores, 2 that are rather unfortunate/average).

Are you sure only one will in the fall? It said scores are available 5 weeks after the test.. Which would tell me October and November would be okay dates as long as she is not applying early decision... no?

Depends on the college's application deadline. Even with regular decision, DD had deadlines as early as November. Ask the college.

I regret not homeschooling my children in high school when I watched other people, who did home school through high school, get in to the same colleges as my children, with excellent scholarships, without having to mess with the huge mess called public school. And we were so stressed throughout high school and I felt my children would have had a way better education at home.

The main thing to do right now is make a list of where she is applying (at least five schools this late in the game) and exactly what they want. Senior year is not the year to be figuring it out. It is merely the year to act on the plan and finish up the loose ends. Anymore, colleges have fairly exacting things they want and they want them early, neat, and tidy. By early October you should have her whole admissions packet finished for review and tweeting. That means all applications, essays written, paperwork all together, transcripts formalized, whole nine yards. That leaves a bit of time for you to review each one, edit, revise, and be sure it is tailored to the school as best possible. The holidays are November and December, so do not wait.

. Does official mean accredited? Or will my homeschool diploma suffice? Please help!  :001_smile:  :confused:  I really don't want to have to get her a GED - but she is done with the school she is at.

To answer specifically, no, "official" does not mean "accredited."

Furthermore, most colleges don't care whether applicants have diplomas issued by accredited schools. Some may, but most do not.

The diploma that *you* issue your dd will be official. :-)

To answer specifically, no, "official" does not mean "accredited."

Furthermore, most colleges don't care whether applicants have diplomas issued by accredited schools. Some may, but most do not.

The diploma that *you* issue your dd will be official. :-)

I typed "Official High School Transcript" across the top of my excel-created transcript. The community college where my son took dual credit classes wanted it notarized - the college where he ultimately ended up did not.

Diplomas are issued well after college applications, financial aid award, and final decisions have been made. So, college admittance is based on transcripts - which you will write along with course descriptions - essays, ACT or SAT scores, GPA, extracurricular activities, and other outside honors your student has received. For this reason, very few schools worry about accredited diplomas. Also note that a huge number of parochial schools are not accredited and many PS schools have lost their accreditation for lack of progress and other problems, and yet students matriculating from these schools are not penalized.

My dd applied to 12 colleges and universities - only 2 of which were not top 100 schools - and ended up at University of Michigan which is a top 30 school. No questions about her diploma at all.

To be honest, with the state of so many PS's being very poor, a lot of diplomas aren't worth the paper they are prined on due to grade inflation, cheating, dumbing down of course content, etc. and colleges know this. They look at other criteria.

I typed "Official High School Transcript" across the top of my excel-created transcript. The community college where my son took dual credit classes wanted it notarized - the college where he ultimately ended up did not.

Of course, transcripts are a whole different animal than diplomas. :-)

One of my umbrella-school students once had to produce his diploma...to work at a MacDonald's...in Hawaii... :blink:

Of course, transcripts are a whole different animal than diplomas. :-)

One of my umbrella-school students once had to produce his diploma...to work at a MacDonald's...in Hawaii... :blink:

*facepalm* Evidently I was reading and my mind was filling in what I thought should be there instead of what was actually written :blush:.

We aren't worrying about a GED, DS won't have an "accredited" diploma or an "accredited" transcript.  However, he will have VERY detailed course descriptions and syllabi, dual enrollment classes, and hopefully a few SAT 2's.  ACT and SAT, but with his LD's, who knows what the scores will be,,,

It really does depend a lot on the schools that a kid is aiming towards.  My son is perfectly happy with a state school - at least to start.  In fact, he'll probably make his life easier and apply to a state school as a transfer student from the CC.  Once he gets to that point - the other stuff won't matter as much. 

Thank you guys so much! You did a really good job giving me info and setting my mind at ease. :)

Unfortunately, DD heard back from her 'second choice' this morning and they are not homeschool friendly.  :thumbdown:  :sad:  They require one of three things- a homeschool student graduates from a distance learning/online school, a GED, or a diploma issued by a public high school. *sigh* Poor DD was extremely excited about the curriculum she had chosen (and she managed to put together 2 enrolled classes (through Oak Meadow), 2 AP's, two honors, and a self designed course for 3,000 dollars! We *never* would have been able to do that much at Laurel Springs. Not to mention that her eighth course** (which I did't mention above), Physics, was a text based course... The first thing that made DD start looking elsewhere was that she had to take either math or science through LS senior year to be 'full time' and thus get her diploma..Well, we stopped doing math with them a long time ago and their Physics course is all online - DD has learned from Chemistry this year that their online curriculum for science just does not work for her (they use Keystones curriculum). Oh, well. I guess we will figure something out. 

** Just wanted to note that two of her eight courses are not demanding at all. In fact, only the AP's are exceptionally demanding.. Didn't want someone to think we were crazy. Ha! 

Thank you guys so much! You did a really good job giving me info and setting my mind at ease. :)

Unfortunately, DD heard back from her 'second choice' this morning and they are not homeschool friendly.  :thumbdown:  :sad:  They require one of three things- a homeschool student graduates from a distance learning/online school, a GED, or a diploma issued by a public high school. *sigh* Poor DD was extremely excited about the curriculum she had chosen (and she managed to put together 2 enrolled classes (through Oak Meadow), 2 AP's, two honors, and a self designed course for 3,000 dollars! We *never* would have been able to do that much at Laurel Springs. Not to mention that her eighth course** (which I did't mention above), Physics, was a text based course... The first thing that made DD start looking elsewhere was that she had to take either math or science through LS senior year to be 'full time' and thus get her diploma..Well, we stopped doing math with them a long time ago and their Physics course is all online - DD has learned from Chemistry this year that their online curriculum for science just does not work for her (they use Keystones curriculum). Oh, well. I guess we will figure something out. 

** Just wanted to note that two of her eight courses are not demanding at all. In fact, only the AP's are exceptionally demanding.. Didn't want someone to think we were crazy. Ha! 

It's her second choice, right? Has she heard back from her first choice?

There are many, many colleges that welcome homeschooled students with open arms. Indeed, many actively recruit homeschooled grads because they do so well academically and socially. Is it not possible that she can find another college and send this one packing?

There are many, many colleges that welcome homeschooled students with open arms. Indeed, many actively recruit homeschooled grads because they do so well academically and socially. Is it not possible that she can find another college and send this one packing?

That would be my reaction, too.  A college that is obviously clueless about homeschooling and requires an applicant to get a GED would immediately be given the boot in my house.

It is possible- she will wait until she hears back from her first choice. By the way, I just wanted to say that every response I have ever read from you (on any post) is so kind a 'welcoming', in a way! I just wanted to say that you come across very kind. :) It's all just very frustrating right now, because she has to choose between a school year that makes her extremely, extremely happy, but does have a bit of 'uncertainty' that we have not had to deal with as Online Schoolers. Basically she needs to choose (or I need to choose) between the 'safe' option and the enjoyable option.  :confused1: (and when I put it that way it seems so obvious which one to pick!)

Once we hear back from her other school we will make our first 'round' of decisions (basically if they are HS friendly it will stay an option.. then we will contact all of her other choices + our school board to make sure they can sign off on her homeschool curriculum, or something like that [can't remember what exactly it was that they needed to do...] and then, you know, maybe a lot of prayer. haha!)

I guess if *all* of her schools except her second choice are HS friendly we could do one of two things-

1. throw that school out of the list

2. IF she decided to go there ... get her.. *gulp* GED. We wouldn't have to tell anyone she has it except for the school! LOL 

2. IF she decided to go there ... get her.. *gulp* GED. We wouldn't have to tell anyone she has it except for the school! LOL 

I would investigate the potential negative ramifications before you had your daughter get the GED.  There may be other situations later in life where she would have to disclose the fact that she took the GED.

Good luck.

I would investigate the potential negative ramifications before you had your daughter get the GED.  There may be other situations later in life where she would have to disclose the fact that she took the GED.

Good luck.

:cursing:

Ok. Just the possibility of that makes me not want to get her a GED! So if we go with HS she will just have to choose colleges that are homeschool friendly. I'm anxiously waiting for her to hear back from her first choice.. Here is hoping they are homeschool friendly.. DD tried to make her message to them as straightforward as possible, asking at the end of her message if they would look more favorably on a full Laurel Springs transcript than a Homeschool one... fingers crossed for a good response!

I think you will be happy with the response from your D's first choice school.  This is from their website:

• For the years of high school for which there is no official transcript, you must document each course taken, dates and amount of time spent on each, as well as provide a brief description of the courses (including texts read and work produced) and some form of assessment by an instructor if at all possible.
  • Letters of recommendation should come from adults who have worked with you in a teaching/learning setting, not from family or friends.
  •  
  • To qualify for financial aid, we require that you to submit either:
  • A GED;
  • An official transcript showing successful completion of at least two years of college-level work;
  • Receipt of a passing score on a Department of Education approved ability to benefit test; or
  • A self-certification, which includes a letter from your parent or guardian describing the course of study followed and stating that you have successfully completed the program, as well as a formal certificate of completion of a home-school program from your state or local board of education.

My guess would be that you would submit one master transcript that included the LS courses from your D's first three years of high school plus senior year homeschooled classes and then supply course descriptions for your D's senior year.

Good luck

She is way overworked with school right now and is totally stressed about the ACT (2 fantastic practice scores, 2 that are rather unfortunate/average).

There is nothing wrong with average! 

There is nothing wrong with average! 

Haha, I know, but I think DD would be more okay with it if all of her scores were average... She has practice English and Reading that keep coming out to 27s or 29s and a science that seems to be stuck at 22/23, and she will take her second math practice score in a couple days.. hopefully it is at least 23 :)

Here's another idea: what about "transferring" to something like Clonlara's Home Based program. You could transfer her Laurel Springs work easily, I believe. What I don't know is whether your dd could meet their grad requirements. I don't think this is necessary, but may give you the peace of mind that you are looking for.

Here's another idea: what about "transferring" to something like Clonlara's Home Based program. You could transfer her Laurel Springs work easily, I believe. What I don't know is whether your dd could meet their grad requirements. I don't think this is necessary, but may give you the peace of mind that you are looking for.

That was a good idea- I checked it out and it is pretty much identical to cost at Laurel Springs (and LS also offers financial aid) and they are all online courses. If we end up getting her accredited diploma the only way we'll switch schools is if they have a more text based option (DD likes that better) or are less expensive (or a mixture of the two- Keystone is cheaper but their courses do not work at all for DD - she hates them, so they are not an option). 

Thank you for the recommendation, though. I appreciate as much advice as I can get! 

That was a good idea- I checked it out and it is pretty much identical to cost at Laurel Springs (and LS also offers financial aid) and they are all online courses. If we end up getting her accredited diploma the only way we'll switch schools is if they have a more text based option (DD likes that better) or are less expensive (or a mixture of the two- Keystone is cheaper but their courses do not work at all for DD - she hates them, so they are not an option). 

Thank you for the recommendation, though. I appreciate as much advice as I can get!

But you don't have to do the online program. Their traditional program is a design your own course program. The online element is new. You work with an advisor to plan a course using whatever materials you want.

But you don't have to do the online program. Their traditional program is a design your own course program. The online element is new. You work with an advisor to plan a course using whatever materials you want.

Really? I didn't see that... I will check again. Thank you for pointing that out!! 

UPDATE! We may have found a delightful middle ground! After freesia clarified about the 'home based' Clonlara program, i decided that I was just not reading the website correctly so DD gave them a call. We are VERY VERY interested in the middle ground they could provide - DD getting an accredited diploma but also getting to design her own course of study. 

I am not so sure about this. She would have to answer the question "do you have a GED?" with "yes" on every form for the rest of her life. I would encourage you to research any negatives before making this decision.

I'm in Virginia, and Virginia history is not required, even if lots of homeschoolers choose to do it.

Please check the website for the accreditation agency, and if any schools you plan on applying to do require an accredited diploma, make sure they accept a diploma from that accreditation agency.  If by some chance you wind up applying to a school in NYS, you can only matriculate by jumping through some hoops; one of those hoops is having a diploma from an accredited high school - and NYS spells out which accreditation agencies meet heir criteria.  Clonlara's accreditation agency (can't remember which agency it was) was not acceptable to NYS.  NYS is a PITA, and I am not sure if any other state does that, but you should have a heads up and check into it, nevertheless.

UPDATE! We may have found a delightful middle ground! After freesia clarified about the 'home based' Clonlara program, i decided that I was just not reading the website correctly so DD gave them a call. We are VERY VERY interested in the middle ground they could provide - DD getting an accredited diploma but also getting to design her own course of study. 

Please check the website for the accreditation agency, and if any schools you plan on applying to do require an accredited diploma, make sure they accept a diploma from that accreditation agency.  If by some chance you wind up applying to a school in NYS, you can only matriculate by jumping through some hoops; one of those hoops is having a diploma from an accredited high school - and NYS spells out which accreditation agencies meet heir criteria.  Clonlara's accreditation agency (can't remember which agency it was) was not acceptable to NYS.  NYS is a PITA, and I am not sure if any other state does that, but you should have a heads up and check into it, nevertheless.

Do you have a link for NYS that spells this out? Clonlara seems to have a new accreditation (AdvanceED) so I'm wondering if this has changed. (We are in NY and considering Clonlara).

Do you have a link for NYS that spells this out? Clonlara seems to have a new accreditation (AdvanceED) so I'm wondering if this has changed. (We are in NY and considering Clonlara).

I found this information about AdvanceEd:

In 2006, NCA CASI, SACS CASI, and the research and develop ment arm of the accrediting associations, the National Study of School Evaluation, unified to form AdvancED. Dedicated to advancing excellence in education, AdvancED provides accreditation, research, and professional services to 23,000 schools in 65 countries, serving 15 million students

It looks as if there is no longer an entity called "North Central Association of Schools and Colleges," which is what the former government-recognized accrediting agency was.

How long ago was this? Clonlara's first accreditation was through a small alternative organization, but it is now through one of the government-recognized agencies.

I can't take time to search for it because it is buried and I'm time-pressed (I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I can't chase any more rabbit trails today), but if you go to the NY state links for homeschool regulation, it's there under the options for matriculation, along with the GED option, the 24 credit option, the Regents option, etc...  But, I did look at that over a year ago, so if Clonlara has recently gotten a different accreditation and AdvanceEd is accepted by NYS, that would be very good news indeed.  We have a house in NY and DD has a dream college there, so I was considering Clonlara as an option for her.  But after talking to other homeschoolers from NY, I just decided to go with the 24 credit option; it seemed the easiest. 

I looked over a year ago, so if they recently have a new accreditation that NYS accepts, that would be wonderful news!  But with NYS you need to double-check everything, because they are masters at closing loopholes.

How long ago was this? Clonlara's first accreditation was through a small alternative organization, but it is now through one of the government-recognized agencies.