Menu

Can a seasoned homeschooler please help me understand (and set my mind at ease!)?

I looked over a year ago, so if they recently have a new accreditation that NYS accepts, that would be wonderful news!  But with NYS you need to double-check everything, because they are masters at closing loopholes.

I didn't see a list of which accrediting agencies NYS accepts. It is only that Clonlara's accreditation is with the agency formerly known as North Central whatsit. :-)

But yes, people *always* need to check *everything* *multiple times*!

Okay, I found it (info for NY) in this memo: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/ocue/ceomemos/05/homeinstruction.htm

When a student has graduated from high school in another state, to be acceptable for purposes of section 3.47, the high school or its program of study must be recognized, authorized, or approved by the state educational entity having jurisdiction. When a student has completed a high school program through correspondence study, the correspondence school must be recognized, authorized, or approved by the state educational entity where the correspondence school is located. Additional validation of the high school program in the form of regional accreditation adds to the acceptability of such credentials. (The regional accrediting agencies include: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; the New England Association of Colleges and Schools; the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges; the Northwest Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities; the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.)

So, I would imagine AdvanceEd would be fine as North Central, Southern Association and one of the others have now morphed into AdvanceED.