Menu

"Sharp Business Casual"

AFwife Claire

My university is having an alumni dinner tonight at the Army Navy Club in DC.  The email says "Kindly be reminded that the minimum dress standard at the club is sharp business casual – no denim, please".  I'm 21 weeks pregnant with my 10th child, so I look like I am at least 30 weeks along, if not ready to deliver right now, LOL.  Sadly, the "sharp business casual" part of my maternity wardrobe is woefully lacking.  Actually, I'm not even sure what it means.  

For a man, he would most likely just wear khaki pants and a nice polo shirt.  Does that sound right?  So I do have a khaki maternity skirt.  Would that be acceptable?  But I always just wear it with (nicer) flip flops, and that doesn't scream "sharp" to me, LOL.  But anything else I have seems way too dressy--nothing casual at all.  I have a fairly plain navy blue dress with white piping that I wore to a wedding the last time I was pregnant, almost 2 years ago.  I have a few other dresses, but they are all from much earlier pregnancies, and they definitely seem frumpy to me now.  One problem is that I usually am pregnant over the winter, so I really just don't have a big selection of warm-weather maternity clothes.

Gah.  I hate figuring out what to wear, esp. when nothing fits well, and I look like a hippo!

Actually, sharp business casual for my husband's place of business would be dress pants and a button down or at the minimum high sheen, khaki's again with a long sleeve button down. The casual part is no tie. It has to be true business casual is a polo.

I think I'd be inclined to wear the navy dress and some sandals, not flip flops. As a general rule, there is a LOT more leeway for pregnant women because everyone knows you are A. uncomfortable when cooking another human being and B. your wardrobe is limited.

Just try not to do the flip flops. :)

Or, you can do what I did when pregnant, did not attend such functions and stayed at home with my feet propped up! I was miserable for every.single.pregnancy.

Actually, sharp business casual for my husband's place of business would be dress pants and a button down or at the minimum high sheen, khaki's again with a long sleeve button down. The casual part is no tie. It has to be true business casual is a polo.

I think I'd be inclined to wear the navy dress and some sandals, not flip flops. As a general rule, there is a LOT more leeway for pregnant women because everyone knows you are A. uncomfortable when cooking another human being and B. your wardrobe is limited.

Just try not to do the flip flops. :)

Or, you can do what I did when pregnant, did not attend such functions and stayed at home with my feet propped up! I was miserable for every.single.pregnancy.

We were posting at the same time. :)

I can see the tie being optional but agree on the button down and slacks.

I quoted to agree with trying to not wear flip flops.

I would think DH should wear khakis, dress shirt, tie. I think you should wear what you have - but not flip flops. But if you do wear flip flops, just stand near DH. His possible dressing up will cover for you dressing down. You are pregnant and get leeway. Plus, if your business is raising kids, you are looking sharp for that business as a pregnant lady who isn't in pajamas:)

Business casual would be khakis and a polo. The sharp part makes me think dress shirt. He can loosen the tie if he is the only one wearing one.

Agreeing with the above. "Sharp business casual" means slacks, button-down or dress shirt, and tie for men.  For women, it means at least a suit skirt or dressy slacks and blouse. A business appropriate dress also works well.  For you, I'd go with the navy dress.  See if you can find some comfortable flats to go with that. Sandals are iffy, and flip flops would definitely be a no-go for that dress code. 

I agree it means just below a suit. What about the dress with a nice cardi? Scarf or fun necklace? I don't think 21 weeks is pregnant enough to get away with flip flops. I'm due in a few days, so they're pretty much all that fit other than slippers...

Well, I'm back.  I did indeed wear the navy dress, along with dressier sandals (I have limited footwear too, because my feet have grown a size and a half over all these pregnancies, and I just haven't replaced my nicer shoes either, LOL).  I definitely felt comfortable, but actually, I think it would have been fine to wear my khaki skirt.  I was amazed at how varied the outfits were, as far as dressiness was concerned!  There were women in suits, and there were women in capris, and no one really seemed to care either way!  The funny thing was, we were in a ballroom on the 3rd floor of the club, so we saw a lot of other patrons on the other floors walking around.  People were dressed in nice shorts, etc., even to go into what seemed to me like a nice restaurant on the second floor!  

It was a really fun evening, and the food was DELICIOUS!  So fun!  I'm glad I went, even with all the wardrobe angst!