Menu

Has anyone addressed school board about extracurriculars?

I, too, live in a state like that. My understanding, however, is that the local school board can make this possible.  It seems simple to me, and I wonder that no one else has tried this in my district.  I'm putting out feelers to figure out what the roadblocks are.  Securing signatures from other homeschooling families would be inconvenient.  Perhaps there's a way to do it over the internet?  I get the feeling local families would welcome this...

SDs must allow HSers to participate in our state, but even then it can be a headache to get them to comply.  For example, they use lots of loopholes, like if an extra curric. group ever meets during school time for a rehearsal (think certain musical and choral groups), they use that as a way to say no.  Or if an activity is deemed "co curricular" HSers cannot participate.  I tried to find out about Odyssey of the Mind from our local SD, and we went round and round, and I finally gave up :/  No one could tell me if it was "extracurricular" or not.  They just kept passing me from person to person and avoided committing.

In my state, sports participation is mostly regulated by the state athletic association like a PP said. If a school district allows a homeschooler to participate, the school can't participate in the state tournaments. Homeschooling parents have been trying to change it for several years but run into slippery people who claim they've never heard of such a concept before - homeschooling kids who want to participate in sports?  :confused1:

We've had several homeschoolers who participate in music (singing, instrument) and the local school district gets extra money for them, so although they make it tough (changing hours for the class w/out telling the homeschooling parent), they allow it. It turns into more of a pain than a help in many cases. So far, every family who did this in my area chose to fully enroll their child in PS eventually.

To the OP - I'd seek out school board members individually first to find out what they know about homeschooling. One or two who know what you are doing ahead of time & are sympathetic can help you with the process & usher your letter through the proper channels.

I tried to find out about Odyssey of the Mind from our local SD, and we went round and round, and I finally gave up .

Odyssey of the Mind is fully funded and organized by the PTA for my school district. So some schools have Odyssey of the Mind and some schools don't. Parents with kids in the school team also contribute cash and kind for the competition as well as travel expenses.

In fact all the extracurriculars at the K-8 levels are funded through PTA (by fundraisers) or run by private companies at school and paid by the parents. Chess club, soccer, tae kwon do, science clubs are run by private companies. I don't know about my public high schools but there is fundraisers for every extracurricular.

I agree that it will be helpful to talk to some board members individually first, not just to present your ideas, but also to hear what their stances are. They can also give you direction on what kind of support you need to gather before it will be seriously considered. Homeschoolers are tax-payers and voters, so they'll hear you out.

It might be helpful to get support not just from homeschoolers but from school administration as well. If you have an advanced violin student, for instance, it is pretty easy to get an orchestra director to advocate for you. If you've got some coaches, music directors and principals on board, it will look like everyone wants this, not just the homeschooling moms.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone.   I am casual friends with a member of the school board, so I'll see what he knows.  There are local homeschool sports, etc., but part of me wants my kids involved in the life of the public school (except for academics).   There are local private schools that have said recently that they are considering allowing homeschoolers to participate in orchestra, etc.   

Where I live there is enormous competition to make the school sports teams starting in middle school.  There are some nearby towns where parents start hiring private coaches and placing their kids in premiere level athletics around age 10 to improve their chances of making the high school team.  Just stating that even if they allow access to try out it doesn't ensure participation.  Most kids (public schooled and homeschooled) participate in rec or competitive level town sports which is comprised of various town leagues (not through the schools).  It does cost money though and can become quite expensive for multiple sports and multiple children.

The school music program is different.  My dd is in middle school band and it is a 45 minute class that she takes everyday.  I don't personally know any homerschoolers that participate so I am not sure if they have access or not.

It all depends on your state law. In CO, we have full, equal access to ALL extra-curr, including sports. Just had our end of the year swimming party last night! The school board has no control over the process. My kids are welcomed into ps sports, but then, I am the photographer, fund raise, drive, buy coaches' gifts, etc. I'd start by looking at your state law. If the high school athletic assn says no, there's no point in asking the school board because they'll have to say no.

Yes, check at the state level first. My state allows participation through 8th grade.

I've written to and addressed our school board (and even organized petitions and requested FOIA documents), and in my experience, they are unresponsive unless they and their cronies decide something is going to happen anyway.  The school board in my district is unelected and is appointed by city council, and the only thing it cares about is passing state tests.  First of all, does your state even allow homeschoolers to participate in extra-curriculars?  If not, then you need to start at your state level, not at the district level.  But if it does, I agree with a PP about getting 1-2 board members to sponsor what you want and then speak at one of the meetings, emphasizing how a well-rounded homeschooler benefits the entire community.  Be prepared to be brushed off, or for hoop-jumping to be required.

Absolutely don't start sending letters without first educating yourself about the law and the history of such attempts in your area and state. I used to live in a fairly high regulation state, and every few years or so a homeschooler would send a letter or make a petition or speak up at a meeting, asking for things without knowing the background. It really made a mess for the groups that are deliberately, carefully working on homeschooling laws and rights. First see if you can find other homeschoolers who are already working toward this and join them.

In our current state, we have access to non-academic courses by law, schools have the power to allow part-time enrollment, and the athletic association says we have to be 2/3 enrolled to do varsity sports. Everything is very settled already, so we work within those restrictions with our own district. We have sent them snippets of the law and the State DoE guidelines as needed.

So this is why NY homeschoolers can't participate in sports: http://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Homeschool-Athletic-Participation-Jan.-30-2014.pdf

There was a court fight over this in 1996, and the homeschoolers lost: http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issues/E/Equal_Access.pdf

Maybe my kids can join a swim team.   Then they wouldn't be subject to the New York Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) rules.  This still doesn't explain why kids are barred from other activities though--like orchestra, band, clubs, etc.

Where I live there is enormous competition to make the school sports teams starting in middle school.  There are some nearby towns where parents start hiring private coaches and placing their kids in premiere level athletics around age 10 to improve their chances of making the high school team.  Just stating that even if they allow access to try out it doesn't ensure participation.  Most kids (public schooled and homeschooled) participate in rec or competitive level town sports which is comprised of various town leagues (not through the schools).  It does cost money though and can become quite expensive for multiple sports and multiple children.

The school music program is different.  My dd is in middle school band and it is a 45 minute class that she takes everyday.  I don't personally know any homerschoolers that participate so I am not sure if they have access or not.

Yep, in our state they have to otherwise "qualify" for the team.  Our high school is 4,000 kids, so sports teams are tough to make.  As a result, I haven't really worried about pursuing it for my kids, as between politics and the competitive nature of getting onto a middle or high school team...eh.  We find individual things for them to pursue that are HS friendly (dance, archery, martial arts)

My state does not allow homeschoolers to participate in any sports if the team is going to compete with other public schools.  Other extra-curriculars and partial enrollment is allowed but is up to each local district.  Ours does not allow any.  Ever.  No matter what.  I have asked why and was told that it was allowed in the past and was a huge headache for the district so they quit allowing it.  Knowing some of the homeschooling families that may have been involved, I can see how this happened.  The whole thing stinks because my dd would like to participate in a particular sport that has no non-school options locally.  So she never will be able to participate. 

SDs must allow HSers to participate in our state, but even then it can be a headache to get them to comply.  For example, they use lots of loopholes, like if an extra curric. group ever meets during school time for a rehearsal (think certain musical and choral groups), they use that as a way to say no.  Or if an activity is deemed "co curricular" HSers cannot participate.  I tried to find out about Odyssey of the Mind from our local SD, and we went round and round, and I finally gave up :/  No one could tell me if it was "extracurricular" or not.  They just kept passing me from person to person and avoided committing.

BUMMER! We ended up on an OM team through a school...it was really funny, because all the teachers (and even the principal) were really kind of giving us the side eye. Finally someone looked it up and said they had to let us in. I ended up becoming a coach for one of the teams.

Don't go to the school district for something like OM, if possible. Go to the school. A lot of them have email lists you can join at the beginning of the year, so you can get the emails the parents do. As long as it is legal in your state, show up at the OM (or choir, or whatever) meetings and say it is legally in your right. Also, offering to volunteer helps, too! 

Thanks everyone.   I am casual friends with a member of the school board, so I'll see what he knows.  There are local homeschool sports, etc., but part of me wants my kids involved in the life of the public school (except for academics).    

May I ask why? I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea or anything, I'm just curious if there's a specific reason you want them involved in the life of the public school (as opposed to wanting them to be able to participate in specific activities you can't manage as a home schooler). 

We have big public schools here, and both public and private schools pull from various areas, so there is no real tendency for schools and geographic communities to intertwine.  Is it different where you live, or are you seeking diversity, or -? 

Our school allows homeschoolers to be involved in anything:  sports, music, after-school theater, in-school classes, anything at all.  We have a pretty large group of homeschoolers who participate in the school music and sports programs and the school has come to really rely on them!  The coaches and music director know that the homeschoolers are hard-working and responsible (at least that has been their experience!), and I believe the homeschool participants have added a lot to these school programs.  Coaches have even reached out to the homeschoolers to try and get them on their teams.

I wonder if you can work through the actual coaches/teachers to get their support?

BUMMER! We ended up on an OM team through a school...it was really funny, because all the teachers (and even the principal) were really kind of giving us the side eye. Finally someone looked it up and said they had to let us in. I ended up becoming a coach for one of the teams.

Don't go to the school district for something like OM, if possible. Go to the school. A lot of them have email lists you can join at the beginning of the year, so you can get the emails the parents do. As long as it is legal in your state, show up at the OM (or choir, or whatever) meetings and say it is legally in your right. Also, offering to volunteer helps, too! 

I was referred to my local school's club (within my SD), but that's where I ran into communication issues.  The coach didn't know the answer,  passed me off to district staff, and communication kind of went nowhere.  My husband is a scientist, so would obviously have potential ability to coach, but I'm not sure if we can join.  They specifically label it "co-curricular" on the district site, and I don't know how that aligns with access in our state to "extracurricular" activities.  They couldn't really answer me.  I usually don't give up, but I just didn't have it in me to keep going round and round.

May I ask why? I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea or anything, I'm just curious if there's a specific reason you want them involved in the life of the public school (as opposed to wanting them to be able to participate in specific activities you can't manage as a home schooler). 

We have big public schools here, and both public and private schools pull from various areas, so there is no real tendency for schools and geographic communities to intertwine.  Is it different where you live, or are you seeking diversity, or -? 

I want my kids involved in school things, too. The homeschooling community here is very, very, very insular and I can't say my kids have made great friends there. You see the same few people over and over. Going to school activities has introduced them to a wide variety of friends-- if they take summer camp classes, there's often someone they know in them. School activities really have broadened their social circles. 

Besides, I pay for it. If the kids want to do a lesson or something, I'm all for it. (Especially when it gets to high school time, I'm hoping they'll both be on a sports team.)

I was referred to my local school's club (within my SD), but that's where I ran into communication issues.  The coach didn't know the answer,  passed me off to district staff, and communication kind of went nowhere.  My husband is a scientist, so would obviously have potential ability to coach, but I'm not sure if we can join.  They specifically label it "co-curricular" on the district site, and I don't know how that aligns with access in our state to "extracurricular" activities.  They couldn't really answer me.  I usually don't give up, but I just didn't have it in me to keep going round and round.

You can always start your own group, if bad comes to worse. OM does not have to be through a school. We really did enjoy it-- and they have next year's problems out already. They're pretty good! Could you contact a private school? Don't give up!

I'm not sure why part of me wants them involved in the life of the school.  Maybe it's so there are no missed opportunities.  We are blessed to live in a community with many alternative options for homeschoolers, however.  I guess I just don't want to miss anything, and I feel that it's a little unjust (since we are paying for it.)