Menu

American History "Spine"

Christine

I'm looking for a spine to use for Am History ~ grades 2-3.

I didn't like the Story of the US books that SL uses (can't recall why exactly).

There was one book, whose title escapes me, that completely wigged me out by stating that NAs (general / broad stroke statement) burned all their prisoners at the stake. Don't want to use that one. . .

I do want one that actually goes further than the Civil War or the early 1900s.

I do have the DK Children's encyclopedia of US history, but I'd like something a little more "narrative".

Any suggestions?

I had a hard time finding a US history spine too. I ended up going with "Story of the 13 Colonies" and "Story of the Republic". THey are by Geurber (~1900) and edited by Christine Miller. The sections are relatively short and written in a story format while not containing too much rhetoric. Miller includes exactly what she edited in the original version and why. So far I am really happy with them. I am planning on using them for 2 years - we'll see how it goes. There is also a section at the back that lists suggested additional readings for sections of the book. I hope you find something that works for you.

Some options:

The Landmark History of the American People

This Country of Ours by H E Marshall

A First Book in American History by Edward Eggleston

Out of Print but worth looking for:

History for Peter Series - "America is Born" is the first. These are by Gerald Johnson. The next is "America Grows Up" and then "America moves forward"

Your sig says your dc and 6 and 5, so is this for a year from now or for this fall? Just asking, since grades are so relative. I can comment on some of the ones listed so far.

-Escher's Story of the USA (that SL uses)--I have this correlated to the abeka4 textbook to use as our spine for american this year, with a 4th grader, and it's really nice for that. It probably wouldn't be my choice in your situation. (I did do american when my dd was little, so I have a feel for that too). Escher is funny because it covers some things too lightly (one one short, two-page spread on the entire american revolution?) and hits some topics that are much more profound (vietnam war, motivations of this dude and that). If you can get over the choppy writing style and childish look, it is actually a much more thought-provoking spine than people realize, which I assume is why SL uses it for cores 3 and 4. I think it's going to balance out the dryness of abeka4 quite nicely.

History for Peter--You can see samples of this on amazon and read reviews.

TCOO--I think this is one of the spines Tami used with her dd. She has extensive schedules on her blog, so the work would already be done for you. You can download half or all the book for free to see what you think of it. It didn't really appeal to me, but that's just me.

Eggleston--He has several levels of books, and I think the lowest, the red one, is what the other poster was referring to. It was written a century ago, so it has a very mature writing style. He focuses on character (as I recall) and tells it as a series of stories. I definitely think it would be a good addition to the mix, though I'm not sure it would be my sole spine. It's not going to go all the way to the present obviously.

Landmark--Interesting, but way too old for those ages.

I have two suggestions that would fit quite practically. One, consider MFW Adventures. It has hands-on and would be prescheduled for you, making life easy. Two, the Rainbow Book of American History by Daugherty. Someone mentioned it a while back on the boards and I got it. It's AMAZING, oh my. It is hands-down my new favorite spine for american history for youngers!!!!!!!!!! The pictures are GORGEOUS, the writing so rich, the coverage quite thorough, and it's totally in narrative form. I just don't see how you can go wrong. It should be available at your local library. You could use Daugherty as your spine. It's so boyish (I notice you have boys) with stories of adventure. I think if you got costumes (fur hats, boyish things) and books with instructions for forts and the like, they could just have a heyday acting out and really getting into these stories! The book may be available at your local library. I got mine off the amazon marketplace ultra cheap.

The most interesting series of activity books I've found so far is the "Great [insert name of time period] Projects You Can Make." They have books for the Civil War, Ben Franklin, you name it. If you decide to use the Daugherty spine, you might also like singing the VP songs and memorizing the cards. Don't make it hard or formal, just a nice supplement, something on the side. In the files of the VP group I think I have uploaded my correlation of the activities from More than Moccassins, where I rearranged the lists by tribe they applied to. Might be handy if you decide to study indians with your little indians. More than Moccassins is deceptively simple. Turns out it has some really good projects, unlike many of the activity books I've bought for elementary that seem to be totally disconnected from anything except that they actually occurred in the time period, lol.

I haven't used this yet so not sure about age level but how about A Child's Story of America by Christian Liberty Press? I know it's used often by others.

Yes! This is a great one for grades 2-3. The style is similar to Hillyer's Child's History of the World. It has been a favorite for my 3/4 graders.

Jean

How about The American Story? That looks like it would make a great spine for that age level.

WinterPromise uses this. It's called American Story: 100 True Tales and it's by Jennifer Armstrong. It's a very modern, well illustrated book. Some folks think it's too politically correct (lots of multiculturalism), and I will be re-wording the story about Jonathan Edwards and the Great Awakening, but we are liking this book.

I'm looking for a spine to use for Am History ~ grades 2-3.

I didn't like the Story of the US books that SL uses (can't recall why exactly).

There was one book, whose title escapes me, that completely wigged me out by stating that NAs (general / broad stroke statement) burned all their prisoners at the stake. Don't want to use that one. . .

I do want one that actually goes further than the Civil War or the early 1900s.

I do have the DK Children's encyclopedia of US history, but I'd like something a little more "narrative".

Any suggestions?

What are NA's? Was this in one of the Joy Hakim History of US books?

Thanks,

Janet

What are NA's? Was this in one of the Joy Hakim History of US books?

Thanks,

Janet

NAs= Native Americans

No, it was not in Joy Hakim's book.

In fact, I found that book again today, and meant to take note of it, but was called away and when I returned one of my teens had hijacked the computer and deleted that page. I can tell you I found it either on the Guetenberg site or the Baldwin project site.

NAs= Native Americans

No, it was not in Joy Hakim's book.

In fact, I found that book again today, and meant to take note of it, but was called away and when I returned one of my teens had hijacked the computer and deleted that page. I can tell you I found it either on the Guetenberg site or the Baldwin project site.

Thank you. Just wondering about that. It was probably an older book if it was on Guetenberg or Baldwin. Although I like the writing, I've had some concerns about This Country of Ours. There is just a perceptible difference in attitudes towards Native Americans than what you find in recent texts.

Janet

Out of Print but worth looking for:

History for Peter Series - "America is Born" is the first. These are by Gerald Johnson. The next is "America Grows Up" and then "America moves forward"

Couldn't find these (samples of) anywhere.

Your sig says your dc and 6 and 5, so is this for a year from now or for this fall? Just asking, since grades are so relative. I can comment on some of the ones listed so far.

OH! Elizabeth! (just had to, sorry. But just so you know I really enjoy hearing from you -- you've responded to a lot of my past threads, and I like your thinking.)

I'm looking for next year.

-Escher's Story of the USA (that SL uses)--It probably wouldn't be my choice in your situation.

No, I owned it and couldn't get past the first lesson in the first book. Part of it, I know is because it felt "workbookish" (umm, because of the activities at the end of the reading). The other part was. . . "feel".

TCOO--I think this is one of the spines Tami used with her dd. She has extensive schedules on her blog, so the work would already be done for you. You can download half or all the book for free to see what you think of it. It didn't really appeal to me, but that's just me.

Tami? Is that Los Banos? (or is it Los something-or-the-other?) (Tami, if you are reading, I truly apologize, but I'm currently too lazy to go look it up, even though I have that site bookmarked.)

Aw, phooey, I just couldn't do it. Our Los Banos is the website. . .now all I need to know is if this is Tami's?

Yes, loved that schedule! Was all set to go and do it, till I realize that it was "1/2 done" (because she moved onto Winter's Promise, I believe).

For reason's I don't remember, I didn't like Winter's Promise. And for reasons that put me squarely in the "insane" category, I couldn't bring myself to use her wonderful schedule if it would still mean that I would have to do the 2nd half myself.

Maybe, I'll regain some minute bits of sanity and just use her schedule for the first part. . .

Eggleston--He has several levels of books, and I think the lowest, the red one, is what the other poster was referring to. It was written a century ago, so it has a very mature writing style. He focuses on character (as I recall) and tells it as a series of stories. I definitely think it would be a good addition to the mix, though I'm not sure it would be my sole spine. It's not going to go all the way to the present obviously.

He certainly can't be the full spine, as his works were completed in the late 1800s (? I think). I like the idea behind the books though. . .

Landmark--Interesting, but way too old for those ages.

:iagree: (owned that book at one time too)

I have two suggestions that would fit quite practically. One, consider MFW Adventures. It has hands-on and would be prescheduled for you, making life easy.

My husband says I go out of my way to make my life difficult. . .

I don't like MFW either. I went so far as to buy it so I could really examine it, but turned around and sold it rather quickly.

Two, the Rainbow Book of American History by Daugherty. Someone mentioned it a while back on the boards and I got it. It's AMAZING, oh my. It is hands-down my new favorite spine for american history for youngers!!!!!!!!!! The pictures are GORGEOUS, the writing so rich, the coverage quite thorough, and it's totally in narrative form. I just don't see how you can go wrong. It should be available at your local library. You could use Daugherty as your spine. It's so boyish (I notice you have boys) with stories of adventure. I think if you got costumes (fur hats, boyish things) and books with instructions for forts and the like, they could just have a heyday acting out and really getting into these stories! The book may be available at your local library. I got mine off the amazon marketplace ultra cheap.

Not available at my library (local or otherwise)! :crying:

It's not coming up on Amazon either! :crying: :crying:

It does look as if it woud end in the 50s though. . .

Boyish would be VERY good here.

The most interesting series of activity books

Got the activity books ;)! That was the easy part.

FYI, I think it's WOWIO. . . NUTS! just a sec. . .

Yep, WOWIO. You can get the Great ______ Projects You Can Make Yourself books there for FREE! (Linked ya straight there.)

I haven't used this yet so not sure about age level but how about A Child's Story of America by Christian Liberty Press? I know it's used often by others.

Own that book too. . .

Did I mention I have this thing about books? It's an illness, really.

Didn't like. . .no, read the ETA.

ETA: OOPS: Ran upstairs. I was thinking of a different book altogether. Yes, I do own this book, but had forgotten about it. Also forgot about "Exploring American History" by McHugh and Montgomery (CLP also).

Yes! This is a great one for grades 2-3. The style is similar to Hillyer's Child's History of the World. It has been a favorite for my 3/4 graders.

Ahh, yes, that would be the reason I didn't like that book. . . (Hillyer rubbed me wrong. . .and I can't remember why) I know a number of people that just love his books though, so all I can say is that it must have been his writing style in particular.

ETA: Okay, so whatever book I was first thinking of, that reminded me of Hilyer, and the above still holds true.

How about The American Story? That looks like it would make a great spine for that age level.

I don't know about a spine, but certainly it would make a great addition! Thanks.

WinterPromise uses this. It's called American Story: 100 True Tales and it's by Jennifer Armstrong. It's a very modern, well illustrated book. Some folks think it's too politically correct (lots of multiculturalism), and I will be re-wording the story about Jonathan Edwards and the Great Awakening, but we are liking this book.

good information.

So, I think I have basically affirmed in everyone the very strong belief that I'm thoroughly nuts, and incredibly particular. (DH has some other more colorful adjectives for me. . .but I'm not willing to admit any of them.)

DS2 (my 14 yo) is working on American History this year, and volunteered to help me write a book for the little guys to use. Maybe he's just doing it to make himself feel better about all the writing assignments he sees looming in his future.

ETA: I have some reading to do in the near future. . .and apparently, I need to re-organize my bookcases so I can remember what it is I have available.

Thank you. Just wondering about that. It was probably an older book if it was on Guetenberg or Baldwin.

Janet,

Was just doing some reading and was a bit "shocked".

A Child's Story of America (2nd ed. copyright 1998)

pg. 36 (upper left corner)

". . .Although it is true that Native American were often treated badly by the European settlers, they treated one another worse than the settlers ever did.

When they took a prisoner, they would tie him to a tree and build a fire around him and burn him to death. While he was burning they would torture him all they could. (
and so on
). . ."

There is just a perceptible difference in attitudes towards Native Americans than what you find in recent texts.

Apparently not so different. . .

What has me really curious though, is, I could have sworn I read something almost identical today on Gutenberg or Baldwin (from an "old" book). It'd be an interesting comparison.

I have a book that I plan to read with my kids. I think it is called America Alive, by Jean Karl, but it's up in my daughter's closet and I don't want to wake her up by rooting around in there. I'll try to unearth it tomorrow if I think of it.

Tara

I looked at the WP spines at the book store today

Here is a good review of this one. Sounds like what you are looking for.

OurLosBanos is Jenn&Charles... so not the right person.

How about this series... The American Story by Betsy Maestro? It's one I am considering for 3rd-4th grades for my kids.

I haven't seen these yet, but they are available to me from our library systems and I plan to read through them chronologically this year to give my 8yo and almost 6yo some US history along with our study of ancients.

Someone here recommended them to me when I asked about a US History spine.

You're not crazy, lol. I own all those things too, so I think it's just a process you have to go through as you figure out what you want or don't want and why. And frankly, there's a lot of taste involved. I wouldn't have described CSOA as similar to Hillyer, lol. Trying to think of something nice, but to me CSOA is more like listening to an overly opinionated, didactic adult talking down to little kids. Hillyer is very respectful and just tells the story. But anyways!

Here's that link to the Rainbow book on amazon http://www.amazon.com/rainbow-book-American-history-Illustrated/dp/B000O20V7G I got mine for half that price, but obviously that copy is gone, lol. You might also try bookfinder http://www.bookfinder.com and see if you can find a better deal on alibris or something. It really is a delightful book. I'm feeling lazy, but just for you I'll go see how far the Rainbow book goes. Yup, you win the prize! The last chapter is on the birth of the atomic age, the bomb, and death of FDR. Don't know how you guessed that, but good for you!

Here, just to entice you, I'll type a bit of the text, just a random selection. "So at last the eys of a white man gazed upon the broad, rolling expanse of the mighty Mississipp, but they were clouded, resentful eyes, since the yellow ears of corn were scarcely the gold they sought. Morever, they were feverish eyes, for illness burned in de Soto's body, and as he lay on the crude bed made for him, he knew that he would die. Still, he was a brave man; he face the end calmly and..." Amazing, isn't it! Here's another selection, this time about fur trappers in the old southwest. "Mountain men followed a pattern. Perhaps a few were roustabouts and renegades, but the larger number were sober, serious, God-fearing men who handled an axe, a knife, and a rifle as naturally as they flexed the fingers on their hands. Rivers no one dreamed existed became familiar haunts to them..."

I haven't found anything else I like so well for this age. Since it's the one book you haven't yet bought, you might like it. :)

And no, I wasn't talking about the Los Banos site. Here's the link for Tami's blog, where you can search around and find her very practical, very do-able schedules. http://amblesideclassical.blogspot.com/

The Maestro books are supposed to have a rather liberal spin to parts of their american history, but I haven't seen them and don't know enough history to know for myself. I just remember seeing that comment somewhere.

What about this? WP uses these as a spine for there All American Program.... which combines grades 1-12 with extra resources for the different stages.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/

Here is a sample of the text: http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/HTTA-CL-Sampler.pdf

They use this as a spine???

I admit it's a great activity to add to a spine (I have all of them). . .but they use it as a spine?

Different strokes. . .

Oooh, I like multiculturalism.. thank you! I thought I was going to go with This Country of Ours, but after seeing a Native American chief called "wily savage" :001_huh: and positively portrayed Native Americans are only the ones helping out the white settlers, I may not use this book.

I'm going to check our Greuber's and A Child's Story of America too -- great thread!

Even though you don't like MFW Adventures, you could use the Spine from Christian Liberty Press Exploring American History or A Child's Story of America and don't for get about American Pioneer's and Patriots, my dc LOVE this book as a read aloud. They groan when I stop reading this. They want me to read more!!!!:001_smile: These all are written from a christian point of view, don't know if that matters.

I just accidentally happened across something today. Wondering if anyone has any input?

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=166&filters=0_0

(You have to scroll down a bit)

There are some called "An Overview of the ___ Century"

It's all American History (Not world, like I was originally expecting).

I've never heard of this company before, nor seen any of it's products. I'm just kind of curious if anyone else had heard of them?

• 3 weeks later...

Never heard of the Currclick one. Looks interesting, though.

Howard Zinn's Young People's History of the United States is definitely for older kids, I would say at least Middle School ages. This and Peter Johnson's History of the American People are my planned AS spines for HS.

• 5 months later...

Does the American Story: 100 True Tales book work well to really cover everything that is needed? I mean, if I don't do a program, but only read this book will it cover all of the important points in American History? (We are planning on doing a program for the first half, and not for the second half)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I have two suggestions that would fit quite practically. One, consider MFW Adventures. It has hands-on and would be prescheduled for you, making life easy. Two, the Rainbow Book of American History by Daugherty. Someone mentioned it a while back on the boards and I got it. It's AMAZING, oh my. It is hands-down my new favorite spine for american history for youngers!!!!!!!!!! The pictures are GORGEOUS, the writing so rich, the coverage quite thorough, and it's totally in narrative form. I just don't see how you can go wrong. It should be available at your local library. You could use Daugherty as your spine. It's so boyish (I notice you have boys) with stories of adventure. I think if you got costumes (fur hats, boyish things) and books with instructions for forts and the like, they could just have a heyday acting out and really getting into these stories! The book may be available at your local library. I got mine off the amazon marketplace ultra cheap.

The most interesting series of activity books I've found so far is the "Great [insert name of time period] Projects You Can Make." They have books for the Civil War, Ben Franklin, you name it. If you decide to use the Daugherty spine, you might also like singing the VP songs and memorizing the cards. Don't make it hard or formal, just a nice supplement, something on the side. In the files of the VP group I think I have uploaded my correlation of the activities from More than Moccassins, where I rearranged the lists by tribe they applied to. Might be handy if you decide to study indians with your little indians. More than Moccassins is deceptively simple. Turns out it has some really good projects, unlike many of the activity books I've bought for elementary that seem to be totally disconnected from anything except that they actually occurred in the time period, lol.

Wow Elizabeth, you have all of this and you ended up with WP AC1?

I wonder if the offending text is "This Country of Ours" by H E Marshall.

At length the Indians in North Carolina plotted to kill all the white people.... From tribe to tribe the word was passed till hundreds knew the secret. But the Redman is silent and crafty, and neither by sign nor word did he betray it to the Pale-faces.

Suspecting nothing, with perfect faith in their friendship, the white people allowed the Indians to come and go freely in their settlements. Then one night a great many appeared, asking for food. Still the white people had no suspicion of evil, and many Indians were allowed even to spend the night in their houses.

The Pale-faces slept peacefully, but for the Redmen there was little rest. They waited impatiently for the dawn. At length the first streaks of light shivered across the sky, and from the woods came a loud fierce war whoop. It was answered by the Indians within the settlements, and with tomahawk in one hand and firebrand in the other they fell upon the still sleeping settlers.

They spared neither man nor woman, neither the old nor the young; and when they could find no more to slay they set fire to the houses. Then those who had hidden themselves were forced to flee from the flames, only to fall beneath the tomahawk. The Swiss and Germans round New Berne and the Huguenots of Bath were the chief sufferers.

But the wonder is that any white men escaped. For their cruel work at an end, and the settlements nought but flaming ruins, the Indians marched through the woods seeking any who had escaped, gathering at length to a spot arranged beforehand. Here they drank "fire water," rejoicing savagely over their victory. Then drunk with [283] brandy and with blood they staggered forth again to continue their horrible labours. For three days the slaughter lasted, for three days the forests rang with terrifying war cries, and village after village was laid in ashes. Then too weary and too drunk for further effort, the Indians ceased their awful work.

This is pretty typical of Marshall's prose, although her targets shift to other minority groups the basic tone never waivers. How this work is consider fit for children is beyond me.

Bill

Does the American Story: 100 True Tales book work well to really cover everything that is needed? I mean, if I don't do a program, but only read this book will it cover all of the important points in American History? (We are planning on doing a program for the first half, and not for the second half)

Absolutely not. The meat of the WinterPromise program is found in the other history texts (such as the Maestro series). It is only a spine in the sense that it loosely frames the program.

Have you looked at the Complete Book of American History? I checked it out at our Borders and it looked very nice. I haven't used it yet, though. I have used the older Cornerstones of Freedom set that I found at my local antique store. ;) I LOVE these. They will be my spine for my next child's american history. (Unless, of course, I get a copy of that Rainbow American History book that sounds so wonderful.)

Jennifer

I have a book that I plan to read with my kids. I think it is called America Alive, by Jean Karl, but it's up in my daughter's closet and I don't want to wake her up by rooting around in there. I'll try to unearth it tomorrow if I think of it.

Tara

Tara, did you find it to confirm?