Menu

So disappointed-Classical Conversations might not happen

happyWImom

We made the decision to do Classical Conversations, with me tutoring, and thought we were all done, but then reality set in.

I just sat down to try & add up what I think the costs are going to be for CC next year and I am freaking out!  I am not one who goes on & on about how I think it's overpriced, because I really don't think it is-if you look at it as a week by week cost and have budgeted for it.  However, since we just made this impulsive decision and haven't budgeted for it......  I know I get paid as a tutor, but I think that's only on a week by week basis, and I still (as far as I know) have to pay all of the fees up front.  Which works out to almost $1600 for both kids to be in Found. & Essen. plus the reg. fees and supply fees.  Then, I started adding up the add'l curriculum costs.  Those came to another $500!  I do not think we can afford this-my dh was panicking at the thought of "around $1200" which is the amount I gave him!  I have sold some curriculum, and am going to sell more at a hs sale in June, but I've done that before, and if I'm lucky I'll make another few hundred.  Which will nowhere near cover it.  We have some savings, but I hate to touch much of that, and while my mom might help out, I don't even want to bring it up, because she pays for their piano and lots of extras.  I just couldn't do it.  When we first talked about it, I thought we had some additional income that would have helped, but it's not going to happen.

Now, in addition to feeling badly about probably now being able to do it, both for myself (I was so relieved to have my "plan") and disappointing my dc, I am feeling so guilty because I committed to tutoring Essentials and my friend is the director.  She'll probably think I'm the biggest flake, because I've been talking about CC (and been on the fence) for a few years.

Total bummer.

I'm sorry you don't have the money to make it work.   But, honestly, I would not spend that amt of money on any classes prior to high school credit.     You might want to set aside some of the $$ you had budgeted for CC and put it in a special savings acct for high school which will be knocking on your door before you know it.   High school outsourced classes can really add up.

Is there a subject you can do in an extra appealing way to help make up for your disappointment for CC?

I'm sorry you don't have the money to make it work.   But, honestly, I would not spend that amt of money on any classes prior to high school credit.     You might want to set aside some of the $$ you had budgeted for CC and put it in a special savings acct for high school which will be knocking on your door before you know it.   High school outsourced classes can really add up.

Is there a subject you can do in an extra appealing way to help make up for your disappointment for CC?

Great idea!  I knew I would feel better and gain some insight if I posted!  Prior to deciding on CC, I had looked at having both dc take an online class, because I was hoping to have them experience some independent learning and prepare them (especially dd) for high school classes.  At the time, I thought they were a little pricey, but they hardly make a dent after adding up my CC costs!

Any advice for good on-line courses?  I want to make sure the money is well spent.  I watched a sample of an Apologia science class (through a local on-line classical school) and couldn't believe how much time was wasted.  I kept thinking "I could get this done in a much more engaging way in half the time!"

My ds is very into anything programming related, and dd loves science, nature, art.

I agree with you that CC is worth the cost when you add it up by week but up front the cost is still a lot. Could you talk to your friend/director about paying in payments? Last year my director let me pay in 3 payments and as a tutor this allowed me to save up that money each time I got paid to make the payment.

You said in a different topic that a TOG co-op was starting near you, is that more affordable? I think I've decided to go with TOG, partly for the cost factor. Since they don't pay their tutors the cost is only for supplies but moms are expected to tutor or volunteer, which seems a fair trade off to me. 

We made the decision to do Classical Conversations, with me tutoring, and thought we were all done, but then reality set in.

I just sat down to try & add up what I think the costs are going to be for CC next year and I am freaking out!  I am not one who goes on & on about how I think it's overpriced, because I really don't think it is-if you look at it as a week by week cost and have budgeted for it.  However, since we just made this impulsive decision and haven't budgeted for it......  I know I get paid as a tutor, but I think that's only on a week by week basis, and I still (as far as I know) have to pay all of the fees up front.  Which works out to almost $1600 for both kids to be in Found. & Essen. plus the reg. fees and supply fees.  Then, I started adding up the add'l curriculum costs.  Those came to another $500!  I do not think we can afford this-my dh was panicking at the thought of "around $1200" which is the amount I gave him!  I have sold some curriculum, and am going to sell more at a hs sale in June, but I've done that before, and if I'm lucky I'll make another few hundred.  Which will nowhere near cover it.  We have some savings, but I hate to touch much of that, and while my mom might help out, I don't even want to bring it up, because she pays for their piano and lots of extras.  I just couldn't do it.  When we first talked about it, I thought we had some additional income that would have helped, but it's not going to happen.

Now, in addition to feeling badly about probably now being able to do it, both for myself (I was so relieved to have my "plan") and disappointing my dc, I am feeling so guilty because I committed to tutoring Essentials and my friend is the director.  She'll probably think I'm the biggest flake, because I've been talking about CC (and been on the fence) for a few years.

Total bummer.

Tell her you realized you cannot afford it.

I am so sorry! I am in a similar situation..only not Classical Conversations. It is a similar set up, only not classical. Well, on a whim, not wanting to feel like the heel who never helps, I agreed to do a job there. Well, I don't get paid.  The teachers do, I do not. I am actually not interested in any of the classes they are doing in the fall, and now I am stuck volunteering there and paying for my children to go there. Or leaving my children at home and putting in the work. I don't know what to do.

The only online classes we have ever really liked are AP chem and AoPS.   AoPS does have a computer class, but there are also plenty available for free online.

Khan Academy has some programming info free. https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/cs Code Academy  http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

For your dd, could you plan a nature journaling/nature walk 1x per week?   That combines all 3.   She can sketch what she sees and write some science info under the picture. 

The only online classes we have ever really liked are AP chem and AoPS.   AoPS does have a computer class, but there are also plenty available for free online.

Khan Academy has some programming info free. https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/cs Code Academy  http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

For your dd, could you plan a nature journaling/nature walk 1x per week?   That combines all 3.   She can sketch what she sees and write some science info under the picture. 

Honestly, dd would probably happily give up CC to do a nature walk once a week!  We live close to a pond, and when it's nice out, she asks us daily to take her there-she would live there if she could.  Today, she caught a turtle and some tadpoles, and then looked at pond water under the microscope for over an hour.  (Lots of fascinating little creatures in there).  Why do we (meaning me :001_smile:) never realize that it's the simple things that work best?  I always feel like I don't want my dc to miss out on all of these fantastic opportunities when they are happiest with the little things.  The nature walk and computer class are totally doable, and will satisfy them both.  (I do love the idea of having her journal along with it.  Kind of like what CC requires in the Challenge class :D .  Maybe I'll throw some research requirements in there, too.)

I would see if you could work out a payment plan. My director is very understanding about these things. I know that even with me tutoring next year that I will owe a ton next year.So I have starting paying her $100 a month and plan to continue doing this during the summer. I figure it as a payment plan like a car payment. I believe CC is the best decision for my family and will make cuts in other activities to make it work.

I would see if you could work out a payment plan. My director is very understanding about these things. I know that even with me tutoring next year that I will owe a ton next year.So I have starting paying her $100 a month and plan to continue doing this during the summer. I figure it as a payment plan like a car payment. I believe CC is the best decision for my family and will make cuts in other activities to make it work.

I have thought of this, except with our campus being so new (this year was the first year) I don't think there will be lots of other families to fill in the gap of my lack of payment in full.  At this time, there are only a few other families who are committed besides the director's and Challenge A tutor's families.  

That's a lot of money. It's not always about whether something is a good deal or not. Sometimes we cannot afford things and it just comes down to the math.

Back in the 90s when I started, the average homeschool family spent $100.00 a year on curriculum. Sure there were families that spent more, a lot more, but the movement was made of a large portion of people with that $100.00 budget.

CC wouldn't have been possible back then. There just were not enough families that could have even considered such a thing. .

What % of that would you get back as a tutor?  Is it enough to pay yourself back?  How much would you spend on curriculum/normal HS expenses anyway?   I have always been attracted to CC but have never taken the plunge since I don't like the pay-everything-up-front approach.   If you *know* it's a good fit for you, your kids, your lifestyle and your goals....that's one thing.   If there's any doubt, then it's a gamble.  

I am feeling so guilty because I committed to tutoring Essentials and my friend is the director.  She'll probably think I'm the biggest flake, because I've been talking about CC (and been on the fence) for a few years.

Total bummer.

I think the above is the part I would be most concerned about here. 

I just spoke with my dh about your situation and he had a great idea about what CC Corporate should do (of course, this is easy for him to say!).  Anyway, his idea is that CC Corporate should make an arrangement with tutors that they could tap into some kind of 'special dispensation' with an available option to not have to pay their own full tuition costs upfront if money was tight for the family.  Instead, an accounting page could be set up where the monthly receipts for tutoring could be automatically deposited to pay for tuition each month until the tuition bill is paid. 

In this way, CC could help you to keep your commitment to teach Essentials this year.

Blessings,

Brenda

Any advice for good on-line courses?  I want to make sure the money is well spent.  I watched a sample of an Apologia science class (through a local on-line classical school) and couldn't believe how much time was wasted.  I kept thinking "I could get this done in a much more engaging way in half the time!"

My ds is very into anything programming related, and dd loves science, nature, art.

Here are the online classes we've used for 7th and 8th grade:

www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com----(VHG) excellent, free classes in a variety of subjects, mix of at your own pace and live classes available. The live classes won't be announced until mid-July when the volunteers have committed, but the at your own pace (ayop) classes are available to start any time. Mix of very Christian-specific classes with secular or secular-workable. Multiple age levels. We used several live classes--- classics book club (2 years), literature (effects of inequality on literature and culture), Spanish 1 (used Descubre)-- and one ayop class (algebra 1). My costs over 2 years were finding the books our library didn't have (most from the used bookstore, the book club included links to free online copies when possible), a used algebra book (<$10), and the newly published Spanish book with online activities (which was about $100). Highly recommended--we'll be doing algebra 2 for sure through them and we're waiting to see what will be available for live classes. They have some very interesting looking programming classes. There are at your own pace Apologia science classes, but that curriculum is not a good fit for us, so I haven't used any of them, and there's rolling open enrollment in the live Apologia biology class.

www.homespun-school.net----free 6 week digital learning class that introduced my daughter to a variety of programs that are used in their paid classes (which run $180 a semester), but are also applicable to other activities. Very creative and enjoyable, plus if you earn I think 95% in a class including the free one, you get a $50 credit toward another class. I am seriously considering letting her do either the Shakespeare or world lit class this fall, but I'm waiting to see what other options come up through VHG. The next digital learning class is in August and you don't have to commit to any of the paid classes to take it.

I think the above is the part I would be most concerned about here. 

I just spoke with my dh about your situation and he had a great idea about what CC Corporate should do (of course, this is easy for him to say!).  Anyway, his idea is that CC Corporate should make an arrangement with tutors that they could tap into some kind of 'special dispensation' with an available option to not have to pay their own full tuition costs upfront if money was tight for the family.  Instead, an accounting page could be set up where the monthly receipts for tutoring could be automatically deposited to pay for tuition each month until the tuition bill is paid. 

In this way, CC could help you to keep your commitment to teach Essentials this year.

Blessings,

Brenda

I wonder if my director is able to make this decision on her own.  The only thing is, my kids tuition would also be going to pay her, as well as the other 2 tutors.  And, since the campus is so small......  All I can do is speak with her about it and explain my ignorance.  When I first agreed, I didn't have all of the information, and we haven't gotten together to go over all of the details;  I found out on my own most of the specifics.  One of my biggest faults is my enthusiasm tends to overrule my common sense sometimes.  Things sound so good & I get so excited before I've thought through everything.

... All I can do is speak with her about it and explain my ignorance.  When I first agreed, I didn't have all of the information, and we haven't gotten together to go over all of the details… One of my biggest faults is my enthusiasm tends to overrule my common sense sometimes...

That describes me too. :)

As a result, I have found that it always works best to go as soon as possible and let the person in charge know that I didn't understand or have all the facts and that I will not be able to do it. That gives the person more time to find someone else, or sometimes, to even come up with an alternative solution that allows me to do it afterall.

BEST of luck, whatever happens! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I wouldn't blame yourself. I think CC holds their cards close to their chest - and this is the natural fallout of that. I was paid as a substitute tutor and I still don't really understand the pay scheme for tutors. It is my understanding, however, that pay comes from the community itself, as it is set up more as a franchise (where the director uses tuition paid to them to pay the other tutors, purchase materials for science and art, pay the whatever-its-called- to the church host, etc. I also think I have heard that the pay varies with the number of students enrolled in one's class. So there is no point appealing to corporate from what I can tell. 

Talk to your director immediately.

Our tutors have always been paid on the honor system since they do sign contracts - they do NOT need to come up with funds in July for their kids.

There is no reason for your director to require up-front payment from you, except perhaps the excess of what you owe vs. what you will be paid. The national director's CC campus does not require it -- "corporate" does not have financial requirements for directors except for the CC registration fee - directors are sole proprietors.

Your director can write you a check on paydays, and then you endorse it and hand it back to her for bookkeeping purposes. She still issues you a 1099-MISC at the end of the year.

If she is unwilling to do this, tell her that it is done all the time at other campuses, including CC's founding campuses. But it is all her decision. I would recommend strongly that she gives tutors grace in this, because it's a recruiting tool to retain tutors, and they're not easy to come by!

Foundations Tutors are paid 60% of tuition which is $325 per child. So for a full class of eight children, your salary as a Foundations tutor is $1,580 per year. Essentials tutors are paid 70% of tuition per child, and there is a limit of 16 children per class, so an Essentials tutor can make $3,640 with a full class. If there are fewer children, obviously, it will be less. This should be clearly outlined in any contract you've signed.

I know several tutors who tutor in lieu of paying tuition. Of course, depending on the size of your community, number of children you have in the program, etc, it may not cover the entire amount. In that case, tutors simply made up the difference. I think it is up to each individual director though. 

Yes, tutors get 60% of tuition costs, but the class sizes are averaged. In other words, a tutor with a class of 4 will be paid the same as a tutor with a class of 8. At least it is averaged at our community.

We love CC. However, as my students have gotten older, I have longed for a 2 day program. I wish CC would consider something like that. We love the CC materials and have used them over and over, so that cost doesn't bather me as much.

:) Beachy

Another vote for nature study. We used to live in a great yard for that, every week we had something new. We also added trips to the local state park on a regular basis. It really was a great experience. We used Barb's Nature study sometimes, then I had ds take photos one week so I could see nature from his perspective. Those were fun memories. 

Tell her you realized you cannot afford it.

I am so sorry! I am in a similar situation..only not Classical Conversations. It is a similar set up, only not classical. Well, on a whim, not wanting to feel like the heel who never helps, I agreed to do a job there. Well, I don't get paid. The teachers do, I do not. I am actually not interested in any of the classes they are doing in the fall, and now I am stuck volunteering there and paying for my children to go there. Or leaving my children at home and putting in the work. I don't know what to do.

Why can't you just tell them you can't do this? If you aren't getting paid, I can't imagine you are obligated. I was on the board of our co-op for a few years. We had people say they would join, teach, what have you, and some would bow out at the last minute for one reason or another. We had no hard feelings. Don't feel obligated to fulfill something that isn't going to benefit you, especially if you can't afford it. They will understand.

I did tell my director, and she was very kind and gracious about it.  I still feel guilty, though because if they aren't able to find a tutor then that campus isn't going to happen.  I realize that could/would have been the case if I had never agreed to tutor, but then I wouldn't feel like I let anyone down. :001_smile:   I never out & out asked to not pay the tuition-or just to have her keep my checks, but I would have considered it.  However, my director is a smart lady, so I'm sure if that were an option she would have suggested it (meaning if they needed me desperately, they would have made it work) but because she and the other tutor also need tuition to get their money, I'm sure that's why she wasn't able to make the exception for me.  Okay, that doesn't look grammatically correct, but I'm not changing it!

Anyway, I know she as well as some other ladies are praying that somehow God will provide for us, and I appreciate it.  The only thing is, I can't wait a whole lot longer, because if we are going to do something else (like TOG co-op) I will have to register and plan for that in the next month or so.  

... I still feel guilty, though because if they aren't able to find a tutor then that campus isn't going to happen.  I realize that could/would have been the case if I had never agreed to tutor, but then I wouldn't feel like I let anyone down… 

… I know she as well as some other ladies are praying that somehow God will provide for us… 

Maybe I'm just a "glass-half-full" kind of girl, but I firmly believe the world does NOT rest of my shoulders alone. In this case, if it were me, and the co-op didn't happen because I had to bow out, then I know that there were other circumstances ALSO at work (so it wasn't just me, cause the world doesn't revolve around me ;) ), and I take comfort in knowing that the co-op not happening now opens up a whole wealth of possibilities and opportunities that could NOT have otherwise happened for all those OTHER people, as well as myself. :) Maybe that's how the Lord will provide in this case -- He has a way of answering prayers that are very unexpected, bigger, and more outside-the-box (for more than just ourselves!), than what we pray for... ;)

Be free -- and have refreshing vacation and an exciting new school year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Maybe I'm just a "glass-half-full" kind of girl, but I firmly believe the world does NOT rest of my shoulders alone. In this case, if it were me, and the co-op didn't happen because I had to bow out, then I know that there were other circumstances ALSO at work (so it wasn't just me, cause the world doesn't revolve around me ;) ), and I take comfort in knowing that the co-op not happening now opens up a whole wealth of possibilities and opportunities that could NOT have otherwise happened for all those OTHER people, as well as myself. :) Maybe that's how the Lord will provide in this case -- He has a way of answering prayers that are very unexpected, bigger, and more outside-the-box (for more than just ourselves!), than what we pray for... ;)

Be free -- and have refreshing vacation and an exciting new school year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you for that Lori!  I am trying to teach my dc (and I obviously need to teach myself) to be more positive-what a good reminder!  Where does all this guilt I'm steeped in come from? :confused1:   That question is one for my therapist, huh? :D   You are right, God is directing this one, not little old me.  When will I remember that?

I resoundly agree with both 8FillTheHeart and Lori D. Looks like Lori D. and I are a lot alike too ;)

My suggestion would be definitely to save the money for those high school courses. My DS is 10 and starting 6th next fall when he's 11, and I'm starting to budget and plan for outsourced high school classes.

The way my community does it is that tutors pay half at the beginning when the director gives us our check for the first semester. Then we pay the other half at the beginning of the second semester when the director gives us our check for the second semester. It typically washes out and some people make money depending on the size of your group. Our group is large, so I do make a little something that I put into an education fund to buy books. 

If you do CC, I would encourage you to look for the curriculum online. I saw on homeschool classifieds the Foundation Guide, 4th edition (the newest one), for $38 with shipping. You can find everything much cheaper if you search for it. 

I just finished tutoring for this year. The way it worked for us was we did pay the supply fee up front (b/c she needed it to get supplies for the year) but each month when it was payday my Director would apply my earnings ("keep my check") for that month to my child's tuition until it was paid and then the months after that I would get a check (I only have one child). My fellow tutors had more kids and so they didn't get actual checks until later. The Director has everyone's supply fee plus the non-tutor kids tuition. So she should have enough to get what she needs. She doesn't need your $ to pay herself or the other tutors. She doesn't need money to actually "pay you", she is just applying your tutoring time to your kids tuition. It makes no sense for you to pay up front and then she just turns around and gives it back to you in monthly installments. What's the difference? It's not like she can use that money for anything else b/c she needs to pay you. It just looks like your kids are going for "free" for that month until you "earn" their tuition by tutoring. It's not like she is putting out any extra money for your kids to be there. You already paid for their supplies with your supply fee. The only reason you would be paying tuition up front would be to... well, pay yourself for tutoring. Because you have more kids and they are in Essentials and Foundations there may come a time when the left over tuition exceeds your "paycheck". Then you would pay out of pocket. Like if the total amount of tuition is $2000 and your earnings for the year are $1500 then you would have to pay the difference. But that should be at the tail end of the year. Hope that is helpful. If she would agree to this then she wouldn't have to worry about losing a tutor. It isn't going to affect the income for the community at all.

I just finished tutoring for this year. The way it worked for us was we did pay the supply fee up front (b/c she needed it to get supplies for the year) but each month when it was payday my Director would apply my earnings ("keep my check") for that month to my child's tuition until it was paid and then the months after that I would get a check (I only have one child). My fellow tutors had more kids and so they didn't get actual checks until later. The Director has everyone's supply fee plus the non-tutor kids tuition. So she should have enough to get what she needs. She doesn't need your $ to pay herself or the other tutors. She doesn't need money to actually "pay you", she is just applying your tutoring time to your kids tuition. It makes no sense for you to pay up front and then she just turns around and gives it back to you in monthly installments. What's the difference? It's not like she can use that money for anything else b/c she needs to pay you. It just looks like your kids are going for "free" for that month until you "earn" their tuition by tutoring. It's not like she is putting out any extra money for your kids to be there. You already paid for their supplies with your supply fee. The only reason you would be paying tuition up front would be to... well, pay yourself for tutoring. Because you have more kids and they are in Essentials and Foundations there may come a time when the left over tuition exceeds your "paycheck". Then you would pay out of pocket. Like if the total amount of tuition is $2000 and your earnings for the year are $1500 then you would have to pay the difference. But that should be at the tail end of the year. Hope that is helpful. If she would agree to this then she wouldn't have to worry about losing a tutor. It isn't going to affect the income for the community at all.

This does make sense.  But then why didn't she suggest it???  She is a very by the book type person; maybe she thinks it's not okay to do that or something.

I just spoke with my dh about your situation and he had a great idea about what CC Corporate should do (of course, this is easy for him to say!).  Anyway, his idea is that CC Corporate should make an arrangement with tutors that they could tap into some kind of 'special dispensation' with an available option to not have to pay their own full tuition costs upfront if money was tight for the family.  Instead, an accounting page could be set up where the monthly receipts for tutoring could be automatically deposited to pay for tuition each month until the tuition bill is paid. 

it isn't that no one has thought of that ideat before; it comes up all the time. The problem is that people (especially stressed out mid-semester homeschool moms) quit. CC doesn't ask the Director to take on the financial risk, because she would then have to pay twice for the remainder of the semester (once in lost tuition and once in replacement tutor salary.) Most CC Directors are homeschool moms without a ton of extra money themselves, so that is a big risk to take. Now some do it, if they know the tutor well, but it is their option to take that risk.

The problem with many co-ops is a huge lack of commitment on the part of homeschoolers. People bail when it is right for their family without finishing out the promises they made to others. I have been in many over the years, and teachers quitting or phoning it in because there is no accountability is the biggest problem. CC solves this problem by making people pay up front and paying tutors, but week to week. (Note that I am not a CC fan in general, I just really get the reason for this.)

When I was a Director, I had one tutor who I let do this. That was the amount of financial risk I could take. She was sworn to secrecy, I we had a relationship outside of CC, and she didn't have a lot of children enrolled, so it worked out okay. I would never, ever expect a Director to do this; it is a choice they can make if they are willing to risk it.

I wonder if my director is able to make this decision on her own.  The only thing is, my kids tuition would also be going to pay her, as well as the other 2 tutors.  And, since the campus is so small......  All I can do is speak with her about it and explain my ignorance.  When I first agreed, I didn't have all of the information, and we haven't gotten together to go over all of the details;  I found out on my own most of the specifics.  One of my biggest faults is my enthusiasm tends to overrule my common sense sometimes.  Things sound so good & I get so excited before I've thought through everything.

((HUGS))  I think as your friend, she *should* understand that when you committed to tutoring, you didn't have the full dollar amounts and that the extra source of income that was going to be used to pay for it is not happening now and that makes it impossible for you to still be a part of it.  

As far as your children being disappointed..  there are blogs everywhere about how to do CC at home.  I do not know your family but are they disappointed at not being able to say they attend "Classical Conversations" in particular?  or just disappointed that they won't be out and about with peers/friends???   The latter is easily remedied by setting up field trips or other interactions.. can you host a weekly science or literature analysis group at your house?