Menu

Any D&D players out there?

JustEm

If so, you'll be excited for me!  After 7 years of marriage my dh FINALLY got me to start playing Pathfinder with him!  A little background: growing up my older brother, 2 cousins, and I all play role playing games that were a little simpler than D&D (Dragon Strike, Hero Quest, Everway.) At about 14 years old I was kicked out of the gamer group because my cousin and I kept butting heads.  They replaces me with someone else and starting playing D&D.  Fast forward  7 years and I met dh, who played D&D with a bunch of friends.  Well I never felt comfortable starting as a newbie when everyone else had been playing for years.

Earlier this week he asked if he could run a campaign for me and he'll add in other players once I'm comfortable with the game! I'm so excited! I picked my character tonight, half-elf druid, and rolled my stats for it.  We'll starts playing tomorrow. I feel like such a nerd.

Ugh!  I'm jealous.  DH wouldn't touch D&D with a ten foot pole.  And no one in our area seems to have a clue what I am talking about.  

This post is actually a weird coincidence, though.  I haven't had an opportunity to play since college, but my brother is here for my birthday (arrived last night) and he actually brought his old D&D stuff with him from our high school/college days.  We are planning on introducing it to the kids tomorrow and playing all weekend.  DH is out of town.  :)  Guess you and I both will be playing tomorrow.  Good luck!  

Best wishes...

Ugh!  I'm jealous.  DH wouldn't touch D&D with a ten foot pole.  And no one in our area seems to have a clue what I am talking about.  

This post is actually a weird coincidence, though.  I haven't had an opportunity to play since college, but my brother is here for my birthday (arrived last night) and he actually brought his old D&D stuff with him from our high school/college days.  We are planning on introducing it to the kids tomorrow and playing all weekend.  DH is out of town.   :)  Guess you and I both will be playing tomorrow.  Good luck!  

Best wishes...

Thats sad to hear that no one knows what you are talking about.  DH hasn't played in about a year and a half.  He had to stop playing his monthly game right around the birth of our 3rd child because the times no longer worked around his 55+ hour a week odd schedules.  Now that his schedule is a little less hectic and the youngest is no longer a newborn he is starting a game with my brother and a bunch of their friends.  I really think he started this game with me in hopes of getting me to join my brother's game in the future, which would be a fun night once a month without the kids!  I'm surrounded by gamers and there is a game shop that has a back room where games are run regularly so it was only a matter of time that I start playing. 

My dh can't wait till our children are ready to play but oldest is only 5 so we have a few year!  Enjoy your game tomorrow!

I dislike D&D, but have a particular fondness for many varieties of GURPS (fantasy, Cthulu, Conan, Yrth, modern, etc). The demise of tabletop gaming breaks my heart. I will never like that "gaming" has come to mean videogaming, btw! Both dh and I have made lifelong friends from gaming groups. I can't imagine it's quite the same online.

I played D&D in high school.  We had a club at school.  My brother was very very interested in it but he lives in Florida (I'm in NJ).

My son has been into Pokémon for a while and recently started asking about D&D.  We decided to start out simpler and bought him the Legend of Drizzt board game.  So far he LOVES it and I can see the day coming when we move onto campaigns.  My brother did send me some of his books for ds to read but I have to read them first to make sure they are okay for him.

The demise of tabletop gaming breaks my heart.

I'm not entirely sure what "tabletop gaming" is, but it seems like we are now in a golden age for board games.  The board games our family play today are so much more varied, interesting, and challenging that the ones we grew up with.  

We've both played for ages, including other systems such as White Wolf. Hubby just wrapped up a 5 month long campaign in D&D and our group is getting ready to start a White Wolf game for the summer (new system, though I prefer the old). Enjoy your weekend!

My husband is an RPG veteran and he's tried to get me to play many different systems over the years. I could never see myself playing any of them.

I watched this playthrough of Dungeon World and it all made sense to me. I let that be known and now we're playing through our own Dungeon World campaign as a family.  :001_smile:

I played D&D in high school.  We had a club at school.  My brother was very very interested in it but he lives in Florida (I'm in NJ).

My son has been into Pokémon for a while and recently started asking about D&D.  We decided to start out simpler and bought him the Legend of Drizzt board game.  So far he LOVES it and I can see the day coming when we move onto campaigns.  My brother did send me some of his books for ds to read but I have to read them first to make sure they are okay for him.

Dragonlance books! Perfect for that age.

Drizzt books are good for kids who've hit puberty-age.  There is some hints about the dominant female dark elves. It  would probably woosh over a kids head.

I miss gaming. It never seems to work out to have a stable long-running group with adult responsibilities and schedule juggling, etc. It's something I think would be a great family activity now that dd is getting older though. Hmm...

My husband is an RPG veteran and he's tried to get me to play many different systems over the years. I could never see myself playing any of them.

I watched

playthrough of Dungeon World and it all made sense to me. I let that be known and now we're playing through our own Dungeon World campaign as a family.  :001_smile:

I actually think Dungeon World is what my brother is going to be running for my dh and some other people but I can't remember.

We've both played for ages, including other systems such as White Wolf. Hubby just wrapped up a 5 month long campaign in D&D and our group is getting ready to start a White Wolf game for the summer (new system, though I prefer the old). Enjoy your weekend!

I've never heard of White Wolf but I'm sure dh and many of our friends have.

I miss gaming. It never seems to work out to have a stable long-running group with adult responsibilities and schedule juggling, etc. It's something I think would be a great family activity now that dd is getting older though. Hmm...

Scheduling was why my dh hasn't played in over a year and why he wanted to start playing with me.  He doesn't need to schedule anything with me since we stay up way past when the kids are in bed every night. 

I am sooo not a gamer, but dh is and has taught the boys. It is the thing they do together and I think it is great. They sometimes have friends over, but often it is just the three of them. They play D&D and warhammer and.... oh gosh, so many. I don't even bother to keep track, lol. Their idea of the perfect Sunday is rain and a nice long game, lol.

Their dad likes it because it is something he can do with them as they get older. A teenager won't always want to go on a walk with his dad, but there is a good chance he can convince a 16 year old to get out of his room and play a game for three hours.

They also enjoy many tabletop games.

DH has made D&D games for kids as young as 5. He modifies it a great deal, of course, but he has done it.

My parents didn't get D&D, or any other RPG gaming at all.  But Mom was really supportive.  As soon as Dad headed out of town for the military we would have gaming nights with friends from school and neighbors.  Mom would provide food and we would play all night.  It was awesome.  

My bro is helping the kids create characters right now while I head to the store.  Hoping to get the kids hooked and then MAYBE I can convince DH.  :)

I'm not entirely sure what "tabletop gaming" is, but it seems like we are now in a golden age for board games.  The board games our family play today are so much more varied, interesting, and challenging that the ones we grew up with.  

:laugh:

I agree that board games are much better than they used to be! We're big board gamers too (surprise, surprise). However, tabletop gaming refers to role-playing games played in the real world, generally around a table, using dice and paper character sheets, as opposed to online or computerized games.

I have to say that my dh and I met through his GM who was my good friend at the time and we spent most of our whirlwind courtship chatting across the gaming table...after my mule barbarian saved his wizard backside a half dozen time how could he not propose :)

we still play various games with the dc...

Dh and I also met due to gaming. We used to play magic together with some of our other friends as well as some RPGs.

We still have a lot of games and we enjoy them with the kids. 

I once mentioned to a friend that DH and I were table gamers and that DD had been playing since she was about 4-she couldn't believe we had a child that young playing table games, but honestly, for a little kid, it's just make believe-as she's gotten older, she's gotten more into actually rolling to create characters, but when she was younger, it was more "I'm an elf, and my name is Princess, and I ride a pink unicorn, and I have this really pretty sword", and she'd just add what she did at each step, happily playing along.

Now she delights in coming up with scenarios and monsters to add, and has her own copy of the AD&D Monster manual which rarely leaves her room. She adds a lot of mythological and literary based characters.

We found a new game through Wil Wheaton's site called Fiasco, where everything always eventually goes horribly wrong. It's hilarious! We have it, just haven't had a chance to play it yet. 

We have that one and have been wanting to play it!