Menu

Is there life after homeschooling?

JessReplanted

Maybe it's because I am elbows deep in diapers and teething, but I've been wondering what in the world I will do once all of this homeschooling is done (assuming that I  make it that far).

I will be 53 when my youngest is 18. :svengo: After that point, I'd love to find a job that pays me actual money, but I will have all of these years of homeschooling that don't really count for anything in the 'real word.' What in the world am I going to do?

Tell me I'm not the only one who worries about this.

I have four more years to go so I'm on the downside. Yes, I do think there will be life after homeschooling. It's just that when you are in the thick of it and have several years left, you don't see the end of that journey and the beginning of the next anywhere on your horizon.

I do worry about making money. We've lost a lot of income in order for me to remain home this many years, and I would like dh to be able to leave his rat race before he's 70. So, I am going to have to do something so we can bank more into his 401K and my IRA. I have some options. I could work at the quilt store. However, the pay is low and they pressure me to come manage the store and inventory, but do not want to pay more than minimum wage. I can go a lot of places and make minimum wage with less responsibility. I could hang my shingle again and teach piano, flute, and voice in my home, however, I don't think I'll do that because the income, while good per hour pay, is very irregular and many parents try to get out of paying on time. It was a real hassle the last year I owned my private studio.

I have begun my own event planning business and have a partner. We really enjoy working together and right now, due to some family issues she has, and the fact that I'm homeschooling, we only take on three weddings, and two or three other smaller events per year...usually baby or bridal showers in the city for folks with bucks. It's not huge money now. But, it could be in the future if we really try to grow the business after my last one graduates. It is something we have thought seriously about because it's still flexible for us. We don't need a store front or another employee which saves costs, we have health insurance through our husbands, and we can take events on our terms and schedules which allows us to make time for travel and spending time with adult children (she already has grand kids). We'll see if this works out.

I would also consider a paid position in 4-H because I really love my volunteer work with them.

It will be okay. It's just really difficult to see now because you can't even think of what life could look like then.

I worry about it.

My husband reminds me that homeschooling one or two kids is different than homeschooling a mob of them. He thinks that I'll find time to take on part time consulting work in ten years or so if I want to (or some other project that I would like). I'd only have the girls at home then, so perhaps that's a possibility.

We're obviously not all in the homeschooling gig to make money.

For me, the "money" argument (while real) was the start of a thought process revolution for me. What I realized was that I need better life balance. I can't spend my prime years of life in the laundry/school slog. We all need to take more breaks just to enjoy life. Yesterday I canceled school to go plant a huge perennial flower bed. We're taking off later this month for some epic fieldtrips. We spent a week at the beach in March exploring sea life. Even when money was tighter, I would spend a day just scrapbooking while the kids watched Netflix or I'd go out for dessert with friends.

I still haven't taken a shower without a toddler visitor in months, and most times if I do use the bathroom by myself I come out to spilled sippy cups and dawdling tweens....it's ok to find space for you even in the middle of heavy 24/7 mommying.

I know what I want to do when the DH retires, and I retire from homeschooling. And it's not go back to work.

That's what terrifies me.

I still work part-time. The last time I worked full-time, I worked myself into severe clinical depression inside of five years. It's so much worse now than it was. My profession now holds the dubious distinction of having the highest suicide rate in medical professionals. Going back for love or money would be like asking an alcoholic to tend bar. I can't do it. And that scares the daylights out of me.

I want to be retired too. I'm just not sure how that's all going to work out.

So, OP, you are not the only one who worries about it.

Yes, yes, yes!

:)

My homeschooling life has been done for more than four years now. I spent the last few years of homeschooling and the first couple of years of not homeschooling trying to become the next Nora Roberts. That didn't work so well, so I chose to become a real estate agent. Still figuring that out, but I love the challenge.

I recommend some part time work as your children do high school. Not only will it be a good career boost for your resume, but it's good for the kiddoes to see.

I was 52 when the last boy graduated. Still lots of time to pursue life, love, and career.

I think so, but I have no idea what I want to do with that life. I left a field that was very stressful when I quit to homeschool ds10. I don't want to go back to it, but I have no idea what else I might want to do. I had just started thinking about it and considering schooling options when we found out ds1 was on the way and everything got put on hold again. I do a few part time/temporary jobs to bring in a little extra money every year, so maybe I could expand on one of those. I know I want to be active, preferably in a paid position.

It's a bit scary. realizing I have no plan.

Only a little over three years to go, and DH will probably retire during that period or right after.

I live in an expensive area and most homeschool moms I know have at least a part-time gig by the time their youngest is a teenager, sometimes before. So for many of my friends, graduating their DC just means they have more hours to work at what they were doing all along.

I began as a part-time professor when my oldest was a toddler, and now do that and other educational contract work from home.  Next week I'm going to an open house for a university model school that would be an employment prospect when the time comes. Because of family needs, I can't do a 40-hour week with a long commute.  So cobbling together part-time local and at-home work will be my choice.

Hard to believe it is coming up!

I agree with others who have dabbled with part time work as they go along, and increase that focus as the children get older. I was in marketing/communications/publications pre-children. I have been able to freelance some through the years. Now, with my youngest starting her freshman year next year, I find I have more time with more drivers and the children working much more independently of me for schooling. This spring I applied for some online editing and am working with a company editing book manuscripts.

One of my friends worked full-time last summer with a temporary company, and really enjoyed it. (Plus, the extra money was wonderful.) They were very pleased with her work, and I imagine will be able to help her find year-around work in three years when she is finished homeschooling. Another friend with two homeschooling high schoolers works mornings for a company that helps elderly people who need some outside help in their homes.

My advice is to enjoy your life stage. When the children are more independent of you, start looking around for opportunities that you enjoy, that will help your resume, and that will help you establish new business contacts.

I worry about it a lot because I may be done after this year.  I have homeschooled for 18 years so I haven't worked much during that time, and my degree is a field working with young children, and I don't think I want to do anything with children for a long time!  I feel at a loss because I don't know what I like anymore, but I will need to get a job in the next year or so. 

Thanks for your responses. I really enjoy reading the different points of view. This was not a literal question - of course there is life after homeschooling. My question/concern/worry is really more about what will I do and how will I contribute financially.

So, you think your dc aren't going to take up any time once they are 18?   :lol: I'm just teasing. 

Life options avail themselves as the years go on. First you have to cry and sleep... Then you totally panic about college loans and consider going back to work when you're almost old enough to retire. Then you panic because the kids still in college might lose scholarships because you are making more money ..... then I say a prayer and run off and have coffee with a friend so I don't have to think about it.