Menu

Multi-family beach trip . . .Who is good at planning?

KungFuPanda

My mother announced that she'd like us all to go to the beach in July. This is three families with ten kids between us. I told her I'd look into it. The trouble is that non of us are serious beach people. We like it, we just haven't gone very often and we haven't gone all together. I think it's a little late in the game to make this happen, but I thought I'd consult you guys. This board is consistently my best source for getting the biggest bang for the buck.

Mom wants to be ON the beach, not a block away and the place has to be accessible for my son. We want to cook all of our meals and don't really need activities aside from the water and sand.

I'm a bit overwhelmed. Is this when people go to a travel agent?

You could use a travel agent or line something up yourself with a site like VRBO. It's not too difficult.

Do you have a particular beach or state in mind?

Do you want to all share one condo or have multiple places in the same building?

Do you want to just lie on the beach and play in the waves or does anyone want to try some water sports/activities?

How will you get there? Car? Plane?

Yeah, all the "on the beach" properties may be booked already. I would have several locations to choose from and start searching those sites listed above.

A real estate agent in the town you are looking at might have some, but they may be more $$. Google town + vacation rentals + agent

My mother announced that she'd like us all to go to the beach in July. This is three families with ten kids between us. I told her I'd look into it. The trouble is that non of us are serious beach people. We like it, we just haven't gone very often and we haven't gone all together. I think it's a little late in the game to make this happen, but I thought I'd consult you guys. This board is consistently my best source for getting the biggest bang for the buck.

Mom wants to be ON the beach, not a block away and the place has to be accessible for my son. We want to cook all of our meals and don't really need activities aside from the water and sand.

What area? 

I have a friend whose mil rents three houses ON the beach (west coast) for two weeks every summer.  for years.  then people can come when it works for them.  (10 families, plus the parents, and however many grandkids - the olders of whom are married with their own kids)

there are assigned cooking duties (maybe a sign-up type deal), sand and (cold) water toys for all ages, options for hiking and other activities during the day in the nearby town. 

she's also made her home very welcoming to her growing family - and they like going to grandma's.

A great place would be Navarre beach in Florida. If you look on vrbo " village at Navarre" there are some waterfront houses that overlook the santa rosa sound. Beautiful. 2 of the houses you can watch the kids play on the beach while on your deck. If you have questions send me a message! :)

I have a friend whose mil rents three houses ON the beach (west coast) for two weeks every summer. for years. then people can come when it works for them. (10 families, plus the parents, and however many grandkids - the olders of whom are married with their own kids)

there are assigned cooking duties (maybe a sign-up type deal), sand and (cold) water toys for all ages, options for hiking and other activities during the day in the nearby town.

she's also made her home very welcoming to her growing family - and they like going to grandma's.

That's just it. We know how to do the large gatherings with all 18 grandchildren and how to keep everyone fed at mom's house, and even while camping. However, hauling the whole operation to the beach during a peak season seems a bit futile. Since mom never really asks for anything I'm inclined to give it a try, but I just have no beach savvy or connections at my disposal.

Does each family want their own hotel/condo/small house/cabin or do you want to have a one very large or a few large multi family housing options? Take into account all the personality and family dynamics and err on the side of caution.

Will all the meals be communal (requiring a larger kitchen and refrigerator set up) or will each family handle some or all meals on their own?

Are you sure in a family where "none of us are serious beach people" having no activities "aside from the water and sand" is really a good idea?  I'm not a serious beach person and I would HATE being stuck at the beach with nothing else to do.  We do better when we alternate between a beach day, a local activity day, a beach day, a local tourist site day, etc.

Do you mean you haven't done it all together, are you talking about vacationing in general or the beach in particular?

We used to go to Imperial Beach in S. Cal several years in a row and rent a condo where the ocean comes right up to the back patio at high tide. We found it online. 

1. Having one with outdoor showers and a washer/dryer was the best option for people with kids.

2. Having a full kitchen gave us the option of cooking for ourselves, but I think cooking for a huge group might pose some challenges which I'm sure we could adpt to, but I'd need to think about the logistics before I got there. 

3. Having the option of doing local sightseeing or inexpensive activities makes it easier to accommodate all personality types.

What are people's expectations of each other?  Is yours the kind of family whose Disney vacation involves everyone meeting up at the beginning and saying something like:

Adult Relative A: "We're going to Fantasyland this morning.  Who wants to go with us?"
Adult Relative B: "We're going to Toon Town this morning.  Who's going with us?"

Adult Relative C: "We're going to Main Street this morning.  Who wants to along?"
Adult Relative D: "Let's meet up for lunch at this (pointing to map) place at 1:00."

Everyone divides up into those three groups for the morning and meets up for lunch at the pre-agreed on time at the pre-arranged place.

How would each of your family members respond to that?  Would some do it and resent it because everyone wasn't doing the same thing at the same time, or would everyone like that arrangement because it accommodates so many different preferences at the same time?

Or are your guys this family at Disneyland.

Adult Relative A: "Let's all go to Fantasyland this morning."
Adult Relative B: " No, we wanted to go to Toon Town."

Adult Relative C: "But we want to do our shopping on Main Street this morning."

Discussion, negotiation and/or aruging happen until everyone agrees to go to one of the places suggested in the morning, a different one after lunch and the other one in the evening. 

How would each of your family members respond to that scenario?  Would they like everyone being together at the same things at the same time or would some resent it because they're doing things they're not interested in on someone's timetable?

One of my friends does a multi-generational beach trip each summer. They rent a big house or a few condos as close to the beach as possible. They take coffee and a few breakfast things, but other than that, they eat out. That way everyone gets to relax.

We did the beach (Galveston) last summer with our married son, his wife and daughter, plus our other son. Sort of did like my friend...We rented a 2 bedroom/2bath condo with a pool (VRBO)....took a few breakfast things to eat and ate out the rest of the time. This year, we will take sandwich stuff and a few things to grill out on the beach, then have a couple of nights when we go out to eat.

The first couple of days, we hang out on the beach all day. Sunscreen!!!!  Then we might go into town to hit the aquarium and shopping, or some other fun thing Then a couple more days on the beach. I think my guys want to do surf lessons or something like that this year.

So...we (mom & dad) pay for the condo and most meals. They bring snacks, goodies, and the granddaughter. we try to stay flexible about what we do and when. Those who want lessons or a special thing pay for that themselves--most of the time. If we all do it, we try to pay. Neither of our kids makes a lot of dough so this is a big gift to them. I'm ALL about making memories as a family.

Mom wants to be ON the beach, not a block away and the place has to be accessible for my son.  

Like wheelchair accessible? You're probably going to want a modern condo for that. Smaller, older places or houses probably won't be as convenient (even if they are, strictly speaking, 'accessible'). 

I know that many places rent beach wheelchairs, so I'd look into that. Otherwise, he'll be rather stuck in one place. 

Do you want hotel or house? We go to Sandbridge in Virginia every May and love it, it's fairly residential but there are enough other things around that my non-beach loving husband can have fun. (We go with my parents, otherwise I wouldn't drag dh there every year.) 

As for accessiblity, Virginia Beach has a great playground on the beach itself that is wheelchair accessible. I don't remember how old your son is but there also special wheelchairs there for anyone to use that have huge tires and boardwalk extensions so that a wheelchair can go down very far on the beach. I have good friends who have a son with a form of muscular dystrophy and they said the park was great for them. My kids love it also whenever we go into the city from Sandbridge, it's a great playground right on the beach in it's own right. I think the all-terrain wheelchairs may be available at other points than the playground but I'm not sure about that. 

http://www.wvec.com/news/Grommett-Island-Park-preview-94520544.html

http://www.grommetisland.org/anticipation.asp

http://101mobility.com/blog/accessible-travel-at-virginia-beach/

A great place would be Navarre beach in Florida. If you look on vrbo " village at Navarre" there are some waterfront houses that overlook the santa rosa sound. Beautiful. 2 of the houses you can watch the kids play on the beach while on your deck. If you have questions send me a message! :)

One of our favorite beaches! I've grown up going there. :)

I love to research and plan so I would say you CAN plan this!  I don't have any good insight on those particular areas.  Having traveled with multiple families on many occasions I can offer the idea to think through some logistics.  Such as how much privacy does each family prefer?  We always get adults their own rooms naturally but often kids will use air mattresses or sleep on couches etc.  Do you all enjoy being meshed together all the time or will any of your party need more privacy and space to decompress?  Does each family need their own bathroom?  Do you plan to eat in/eat out or a combo of both?  If so whose doing the list making and planning for the eat in meals.  You do have to consider evening activities or back up plans for bad weather.  It could be as simple as bringing board games or seeking out local attractions.

Whatever you end up doing I'm sure it'll be a great time!  My best tip for traveling with a group is to be flexible and go with the flow :-)

I would google the beaches in the area you want and read reviews. After you narrow it down to a couple of beaches, I would call a rental agency or two in each location. You should be able to find reviews for those, too. Tell them how many bedrooms/baths/etc... Lots of bigger houses have elevators, and they probably know a delivery service for a beach wheelchair rental, if you need one. Ask them to send email you pictures of a couple locations. It might be slightly more expensive than owner rental, but if you don't know the area, it will be worth it.

From that area (where I grew up), I'd suggest looking into the Outer Banks of NC. Rent a big house or two. Sounds like a blast. :)

Google vacation rentals outer banks . . . Or, do some reading on the OBX and choose an area you prefer, then search in that smaller area.

Have fun!!

Love the outerbanks, but if you are staying closer, Bethany Beach in DE is great.  Very family friendly and pretty quiet.  Sea Colony is a huge resort.  There are large houses that would accomodate multiple families a little bit north of the main town area.