Menu

Should I get a double oven?

Berta

We need to replace our wall oven and I really would like to get a double oven. Our oven space is only 24 inches. I don't do a ton of cooking, but I do cook every day for dinner. We don't have a big family, there are only four of us here. I don't really need a double oven, but I figured it can't hurt to have a second oven.

Pro's and con's?

It really is more of a want then a need. It's not something we plan on having to replace again anytime soon so it's not like I can change my mind later.

Oh yes.  I love having a double oven.  Once you have a double, you'll never want to go back.  Eighty percent of the time, I only use the top oven, but when I need both, I would not trade the second for anything.  I put oven cleaner in my top oven last night and didn't get around to cleaning it out until after dinner tonight, and just for that one day, I missed having two ovens.  On the other hand, it was nice to have "an" oven while one was cleaning.  A double oven isn't that much more expensive, so if you have the space, I don't think you will ever regret it.

My new stove has one full-sized oven and one half-sized. I use two ovens more than I ever thought I would. There are only four of us, so I use the small oven 80 percent of the time, but it's great having options. If you can pay cash, I say go for it. You'll LOVE it during the holidays. Heck, I didn't even cook for Thanksgiving, but the Boston Market I ordered filled both ovens and I put things in different ovens at different times so it was all ready at once.

Ahh, those kitchen dreams: A double oven... 6 burner stove....  I'd love to have a double oven. We often have to compromise on cooking temperature for various dishes, wait for a dish to finish cooking, or simply need more room than our oven can handle. My opinion is to go for it! :hurray:

Well, I don't like to cook much & we had to replace our combo stovetop/oven years ago. We actually put in a smaller oven that what we had originally.

It has been totally fine for our family of four. So, I'll be the naysayer & vote for one oven being enough.

Yes, yes, a hundred times yes!!!!   You will be amazed at the convenience.   We built our dream kitchen and installed a double Dacor wall oven. :drool5:    Oh heaven! It was a dream.

And then we moved and I had to leave it.  :ohmy: A sad, sad day, I assure you.  :thumbdown: 

Since then we have had other double ovens. I've loved them all - just not quite as much as my first. 

We just purchased a new gas range. I thought about getting one with a double oven, but a warming/slow cook drawer (slow cook at low 140F, high 180F) made more sense for us.

I love mine, :) especially when baking more than 1 pizza at a time or holidays. My parents mourn not having one because my mom would bake dinner on the bottom and always have fresh rolls baking on the top.

I may be biased (or perhaps spoiled) but at this point I'm very used to life with a double oven.   We recently put one in at one of our other homes and the cost really wasn't much more than having a regular oven.  So, yeah, go for it!  Enjoy your new kitchen and oven!