Menu

Gift for gifted 9yo girl

trinchick

DD has been invited to a birthday party, and I'd like to think of a great gift for the birthday girl. This kid is sincerely gifted. As in, I think my DD is bright, but this little girl is really something special. She is so bright and seems like she can take on just about anything. I suspect that the typical 9yo girl gifts I'd get for DD might not be a great match for this girl.

Price range is $20-$25.

I've thought of a couple of ideas for the birthday girl:

Snap Circuits (do girls like these?)

Roominate

Origami book and paper (if so, could someone recommend a book?)

Barnes and Noble gift card (booooring)

At recess she likes to play archaeological dig. Other than that I don't know too much about her. Honestly, I didn't realize she considered DD a close friend until she invited her to the party - and she could only invite 4 kids. In other words, I don't know her well so don't know her interests. She seems like a "do-er" kind of kid as opposed to a sit and read kid.

I was going to say Rainbow Loom too. My 9 yo GT girl has taken the Rainbow Loom world by storm. There are a million youtube videos out there. She last made me an iPad cover. I have flower key chains, charms, etc etc etc. She's invented her own patterns. Rainbow Looms are super open ended and creative. If she has and likes rainbow loom, my kid would absolutely love $20 worth of bands gift wrapped.

Origami stuff with nice paper is great too. That has been popular here at different times.

My dd liked snap circuits, my son and other dd didn't.  I don't think they are all that great either.  Sorry.  If she likes to play archeology dig,

How about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thames-Kosmos-Classic-Science-Archaeology/dp/B001ALLMX2/ref=sr_1_9?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1397001967&sr=1-9

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/4M-5566-Dinosaur-And-Volcano/dp/B00774V4TS/ref=sr_1_23?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1397001967&sr=1-23

If she's interested in archaeology, materials that actually could be used for fieldwork, like a good backpack, pair of boots, water canteen, brushes/picks...real tools used by real scientists (which don't have to be high-tech. One of the most common tools used by herpetologists, as my DD has discovered in this past year, is zip-lock bags. I imagine there are similar low-tech tools used by archaeologists). Good, serious books useful in the field (University presses are a good source), although that may be out of your price range. Membership to a local group that does the work at an amateur level, or a student membership to a professional organization or an online journal.

These are the kinds of gifts my DD loves and treasures-the ones that recognize that her interests are serious to her.

Things DD has suggested or requested:

Rainbow Loom

slackline

magnifying glass/jeweler's loupe/microscope (if a sciency/nature focused kid)

guitar (Target or Wal-Mart sell really basic ones, not sure how expensive, though)

Goldieblox

Legos

Dig Magazine.  An archaeology magazine for 9+ by Carus publishing (ie Cricket, Muse, Ask etc) Low/no advertising, high quality.  Google around for discount codes and you can usually get it for under $25

Thanks very much to all for the very good suggestions! I like the Dig magazine suggestion (looking for a code since it seems a little steep at $35 the first  place I looked) and the the pyramid archaeology kit a pp linked.

I know she already has a Rainbow Loom. 

Also, I re-read my initial post and I made my DD sound like a dunce, which I didn't intend to do at all! She is a very bright and sweet little girl. Stating it for the record here  :001_smile: