Menu

Does anyone else NOT watch the Olympics...was Women's Gymnastics

Well, this ought to take my rep down to zero ;)

This whole gymnastics fiasco is just one of many reasons why I do not even watch the Olympics - AT ALL. The main reason: the Olympics are no longer about the best athletes. They are all about money. For the most part, the athletes that win are the athletes that have the most money to hire the best trainers, to train at the best facilities, using the best equipment, etc. Case in point - check out Phelp's $550 suit - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/writers/susan_casey/08/19/lzr.racer.suit/index.html?eref=sircrc.

How do athletes from poorer countries compete with all that. If the playing field were equal, I think we would see athletes from all over the world winning in a wide range of sports. I also think we would be provided with an opportunity to watch a much more exciting and fun Olympics overall. Instead, we have the Olympics being dominated by, for the most part, wealthy countries whose athletes receive large sponsorships (US), or countries that invest a large amount of government money into "creating" athletes that can win the games (China).

I apologize in advance to those Olympicholics I have offended.

Krista

I don't like to watch it because of NBC's very, very, very bad coverage. They didn't show events live when the Olympics were in LA. I can't wait for their contract to be up!:glare:

This time they have only showed a small amount of the events. There are plenty of sporting events they could have shown.:glare::glare:

Well, this ought to take my rep down to zero ;)

This whole gymnastics fiasco is just one of many reasons why I do not even watch the Olympics - AT ALL. The main reason: the Olympics are no longer about the best athletes. They are all about money. For the most part, the athletes that win are the athletes that have the most money to hire the best trainers, to train at the best facilities, using the best equipment, etc. Case in point - check out Phelp's $550 suit - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/writers/susan_casey/08/19/lzr.racer.suit/index.html?eref=sircrc.

How do athletes from poorer countries compete with all that. If the playing field were equal, I think we would see athletes from all over the world winning in a wide range of sports. I also think we would be provided with an opportunity to watch a much more exciting and fun Olympics overall. Instead, we have the Olympics being dominated by, for the most part, wealthy countries whose athletes receive large sponsorships (US), or countries that invest a large amount of government money into "creating" athletes that can win the games (China).

I apologize in advance to those Olympicholics I have offended.

Krista

No offense here - we're still watching but having similar conversations as we watch these well-trained, well-equipped athletes in the best techno-wear available in the best techno-facility ever break world record after world record. This isn't amateur athletic competition!

They're dropping softball from Olympic competition because the US has crushed their opponent in every game. There's no competition, it's just waiting to watch the US win gold. Again.

I really enjoy watching the olympics, but I don't like watching the gymnastics or beach volleyball much because of the incredible double standard in how men and women are expected to perform. Why don't the men have to do routines to music with artistic interpretation wearing a leotard for their floor routines? Why don't the men have to wear Speedos while they're playing beach volleyball?

Just something that bugs me, lol, no offense intended...

Women's Gymnastics is beautiful, but a flawed sport. These young ladies ARE the best athletes and are typically not sponsored by high powered, wealthy companies. They are hard working, driven young athletes who possess a desire for excellence, often at the expense of their parents' financial comfort. (Shawn Johnson's parents have three mortgages on their home to afford her sport and all its travel commitments.)

We cannot control how other countries choose to train their athletes any more than we should control how sponsorships are given to successful other athletes. It's about competition. Some people have an God-given desire to strive for perfection in a sport and that is the reason we have the Olympic Games. It was never intended to be political or commercial, but has sadly become so. I will continue to support the Games for the beauty of competition. (And those who cheat will hopefully be stripped of medals and their pride someday. They know who they are and will have to live with the guilt of lies until then.) I believe in the goodness and purity of competition whether it's on the floor, court, classroom, etc. It's a great thing to teach and fabulous to watch. Everyone should compete in something. And support those who compete in other venues.

They are hard working, driven young athletes who possess a desire for excellence, often at the expense of their parents' financial comfort.

:iagree: I can understand the OP's fault, but let's face it: that's how everything in the world works. The people who are best educated, brightest, have financial options, etc. are the ones who most easily achieve fame and fortune. It doesn't mean that it's impossible, it's just a lot more difficult.

But if I had the best gymnastic trainer in the world, with the most expensive designer leotard, and the most beautiful music composed just for me, I would never have been able to achieve what Shawn Johnson has achieved because even when I was a lot younger and a lot thinner I had no talent in that area. So I don't think you can discount the innate talent and plain old hard work that those athletes did to qualify for the Olympic Games.

And no, OP, I would never neg you for stating such an opinion. You're entitled to it, even though I disagree with you. ;)

... we have the Olympics being dominated by, for the most part, wealthy countries whose athletes receive large sponsorships (US), or countries that invest a large amount of government money into "creating" athletes that can win the games (China).

Your assessment is pretty accurate.

From this blog:

The article "A Tale of Two Seasons: Participation and Medal Counts at the Summer and Winter Olympic Games", published in 2004 in the Social Science Quarterly by Professor Daniel Johnson of Colorado College and a co-author, examines the determinants of how many medals were won by different countries in the summer and winter Olympics since the end of World War II. Their regression analysis shows that two very important variables are the total population and per capita incomes of different countries. Also important are whether a country has an authoritarian government-such as communism- a country's climate, and whether a country is the host country for a particular Olympics. These five variables taken together predict closely the total number of medals won by different countries in the winter as well as summer Games.

We haven't watched much, but we're also in the no TV camp. And I'm with the people who hate NBC club. I was excited that they were offering online coverage only to find out that you can only watch most of the online coverage if you have paid cable. When you go to watch you have to select your paid cable company. Otherwise you can watch some highlights, but not nearly as much as they are making it seem is available with their advertising.

Other than that...I love the Olympics. Yes, it's probably true that many of the athletes from bigger, wealthier countries have an unfair advantage. But I'm a sucker for all the stories and I do think it highlights people who have worked very hard and achieved a lot. Sure, there is a lot that's wrong with the Olympics and especially the issues with China this year...but I still love it and almost considered getting TV for it this year. Almost. :)

I don't watch, but it isn't because I have anything against them. I just don't watch TV. We get 2-3 channels, and I think only 1 of those (PBS) is very clear. :)
This is us, but we don't even get one channel.

I really enjoy watching the olympics, but I don't like watching the gymnastics or beach volleyball much because of the incredible double standard in how men and women are expected to perform. Why don't the men have to do routines to music with artistic interpretation wearing a leotard for their floor routines? Why don't the men have to wear Speedos while they're playing beach volleyball?

Just something that bugs me, lol, no offense intended...

I agree about the double standard in the men and women's beach volleyball uniforms. There is no good/valid reason why the women can't just wear shorts and tank tops or t-shirts.

I don't know why there is a difference in gymnastics attire between the men and women, but the differences in the floor routines is just a part of the sport. At the yearly open house exhibition at my dd's gym this year, the owner/head boys' coach explained that boy's/men's floor routines are largely a demonstration of strength and power, while girls'/women's routines are more artistic with dance elements incorporated. In fact, the women's routines are becoming more and more about tumbling and less about dance/artistry under the new scoring system. Some people in USA gymnastics leadership are not pleased with that.

Just wanted to point out that Speedo did over that suit to every swimmer from every country. It wasn't exclusive to Phelps or Team USA.

Well, there is actually more to this.....

"Swimmers who were under contract to race in TYR, Nike, Arena, Mizuno, and others, were torn: support their sponsors or take the advantage offered by the LZR? Sensing bad PR, Speedo allowed the basics of the LZR to be copied; their rivals scrambled to create similar suits. In the end, most swimmers in Beijing competed in Speedo (although several countries, including Italy, wore Arena suits)."

Krista

:iagree: I can understand the OP's fault, but let's face it: that's how everything in the world works. The people who are best educated, brightest, have financial options, etc. are the ones who most easily achieve fame and fortune. It doesn't mean that it's impossible, it's just a lot more difficult.

But if I had the best gymnastic trainer in the world, with the most expensive designer leotard, and the most beautiful music composed just for me, I would never have been able to achieve what Shawn Johnson has achieved because even when I was a lot younger and a lot thinner I had no talent in that area. So I don't think you can discount the innate talent and plain old hard work that those athletes did to qualify for the Olympic Games.

And no, OP, I would never neg you for stating such an opinion. You're entitled to it, even though I disagree with you. ;)

I believe that in order to make it to the Olympics, a person has to have natural, God-given ability, in addition to the willingness to work hard to get to the next level. My problem is really with the unlevel playing field that exists today. I am not picking on Shawn Johnson here, or gymnastics, (this is just an example) but what about the athlete that is equally as talented as anyone currently competing in the Olympics, but whose parents do not even have a home to mortgage in order to pay for training/travel expenses??

I guess I WANT to see that athlete from the third world country win a medal. I also WANT to see him/her have the same opportunity to do so.

Krista

I guess I WANT to see that athlete from the third world country win a medal. I also WANT to see him/her have the same opportunity to do so.

Krista

I would love to see a third world athlete win at many sports, but gymnastics (for example) is really a high-end sport. There are sports that just are and that prevents some people from playing. I recognize this in my own family life. There are quite a few things my children would like to try that we will not be able to do because we don't have the money. That is just life. It is not exclusive to the Olympics. Perhaps that is why you see so many talented track and field athletes from less wealthy countries - anyone can run. (Not everyone can *win* but everyone can run!) :D

We enjoy the Olympics. Certainly there are things that are unfair - the scoring on women's gymnastics is only one of many failings over the years. It is still quite an amazing thing to see most of the world's countries together competing; to see the athlete's faces when they win; to see their hard work pay off. There is something special in all of it and we look forward to them every two years.

There is nothing perfect in this world. I don't know of a single competition where all involved would not have a gripe about some "fairness" aspect of it. The Olympics are the same. If we were to avoid all imperfect things we would have to avoid the whole world! :D To watch the winners though - especially when they are humble and truly gifted - that is something special. :001_smile:

I agree about the double standard in the men and women's beach volleyball uniforms. There is no good/valid reason why the women can't just wear shorts and tank tops or t-shirts.

I don't know why there is a difference in gymnastics attire between the men and women, but the differences in the floor routines is just a part of the sport. At the yearly open house exhibition at my dd's gym this year, the owner/head boys' coach explained that boy's/men's floor routines are largely a demonstration of strength and power, while girls'/women's routines are more artistic with dance elements incorporated. In fact, the women's routines are becoming more and more about tumbling and less about dance/artistry under the new scoring system. Some people in USA gymnastics leadership are not pleased with that.

I also agree about the volleyball.

As for gymnastics, from my experience boys are WAY more uncomfortable wearing their gymnastics uniform than girls are. The competition top is a leotard with a little extra room down there, the shorts are extremely short, and the pants are basically tights. It takes a lot of talking to get boys to wear that for the first time. On the other hand, girls usually love their meet leotards.

Not that this makes the difference right or equal, but I think it ends up being pretty fair.

We wouldn't watch, because we don't watch tv (we watch movies, but no cable, and no reception), but this year, we would definitely not watch because of where it is being held--China's human rights record is not something I could morally ignore for the pleasure of watching some atheletes compete.

But the side you mentioned is not something I was even aware of. Thank you for bringing it up.

I understand what you are saying. But, if you take the discussion down to our local level, sport activities are really for those who have the extra money. Most sports require money for equipment and fees. I pay for my kids' swimming and ice skating lessons. So almost always, there is money required to participate in training for sports. No matter what sport you choose around here, there is a fee associated with it. Due to budget constraints around here, even the ps schools are charging user fees for sport and music activities.

We wouldn't watch, because we don't watch tv (we watch movies, but no cable, and no reception), but this year, we would definitely not watch because of where it is being held--China's human rights record is not something I could morally ignore for the pleasure of watching some atheletes compete.

We have TV and cable, but are not watching it for this reason. It's not something I could ignore, either.

Guest msmith7632

gandpsmommy - You are so right about the double standard. I do not watch the Olympics because I am sick of seeing women degrading themselves playing volleyball in bikinis and wearing leotards with their behinds hanging out. I bet perverts and pedophiles love to watch the summer games!!! I want to know why those women who compete in track wear bikini bottoms. If it makes people run faster, why don't the men wear them? Women - wake up; have respect for yourselves. If you are competing in a sport half naked, you are not considered an athlete; you are looked at as a sex object. You are not taken seriously.

Yes, I know what you are saying Krista, and it is all pretty ikky on some levels.

However, I could easily push it all aside and just enjoy some of it if only we had a darned reception for one of our many TVs. We are even in the same time zone for once! The only Olympics I have seen was a swimming race at the dentists.

I am not picking on Shawn Johnson here, or gymnastics, (this is just an example) but what about the athlete that is equally as talented as anyone currently competing in the Olympics, but whose parents do not even have a home to mortgage in order to pay for training/travel expenses??

This is true. DH and I realized last year our youngest will never go far in her chosen sport (rhythmic gymnastics), despite being naturally gifted. To get to the highest levels, it requires the money for training camps in Bulgaria or Russia, the $600 leos (times 5 routines!), the VERY expensive equipment (big, big difference in equipment based on price- the pricey stuff is really good!).

Even our Future Stars camp, the developmental camp put on by USAG for young talented gymnasts, is $800, plus fly to New York, plus pay for the coach to attend, plus hotel, etc for an accompanying parent. We couldn't do it. So we can't even test DD, because what if she makes it?????

In that respect, the commies have a fairer system. Our coach grew up in Iron Curtain Bulgaria, and she never paid for her coaching- she lived at the gym, had "school" there (sort of, LOL), and had everything provided. You had to have talent (she was picked out at 5 in kindergarten) but ability to afford the sport is never an issue.

I guess its like anything else- we are surrounded by amazing private schools my oldest was do wonderfully in, but we can't afford. But it seems when you tout the Olympics as a competition for "the best of the best", it should be. Instead its the athletes with the $$ and support to train, *and* their ability. I imagine there are many athletes worldwide with the drive and ability, and not the money.

and wearing leotards with their behinds hanging out

Seriously?? What the heck else would they wear??? They need the high cut legs for freedom of movement- its much easier to kick in. Loose shorts would be easy to kick in, but would fall back when upside down and could tangle in bars. Sorry, but a leotard just makes sense.

We did a homeschool gymnastics class and there were some little girls who were dresses only. They couldn't do cartwheels or handstands, despite shorts under their skirts, because the skirts fell into their faces. It was really sad to watch- by the end of the year they were watching their brothers from the bleachers, having been taken out by the mother after the gym said they needed tight clothes for safety reasons. I think its important for girls to realize their bodies are *much* more than what they look like- they are strong and healthy! It gives girls a confidence that is *so* important.

I'm with you on the beach volleyball bikinis, but leotards? NO way.

I totally get the folks who aren't into the Olympics, for all of their various reasons. Totally get that. Hey--I don't get golf. It's all good. ;)

I love the Olympics and always have. Here's what I have LOVED in Beijing so far:

* Jason Lezak SMOKING the last 50M of the men's 4X100M free to bring home the gold for Team USA. I've never seen a performance to equal it.

* Michael Phelps out-touching Cavic in the 100M fly by .01 seconds. As my Polish sister-in-law would say, "It was unbi-LIV-abul!"

* Dara Torres in the pool. Period.

* Anton Fokin standing up to the world's best gymnasts and bringing home the bronze in the men's parallel bars to Uzbekistan. Yes, you read that right. How cool is THAT?!

* Usain Bolt defying all the laws of physics to win the men's 100M dash. No words.

And finally,...

* Constantina Tomescu taking the gold home to Romania in the women's marathon. She absolutely dominated. And did I mention that she's 38? Yes, she was the second oldest woman in the running (according to NBC). Woohoo! 38 is the new 18!

There is no good/valid reason why the women can't just wear shorts and tank tops or t-shirts.

It's done for the same reason that the local high school girls dressed in their bikinis to advertise their free car wash. It was so annoying driving down the boulevard that day. I was always behind some slow man gawking his way along, going 20 miles UNDER the speed limit.

I guess it's just more fun to watch women bouncing up and down with their bikinis than with shorts and a t-shirt.