Menu

Looking for gift suggestions to take to Germany

Trilliums

I am traveling to Germany for a family matter and would like to bring a few gifts but need ideas.

I need one "group" gift to give to a staff of caretakers (~ 6 people).  I might bring Hershey kisses, as I already know they are a big hit with this group.  Handing them a bag of kisses seems a bit tacky though.  Opening the bag and putting it in a box seems wrong too though!  A bag in a box? 

Also need gifts for three different govt employees who are helping me with this situation.  I have emailed them but do not know them at all. We are cordial...but the situation is not very pleasant so I want to be careful to not seem as though I am trying to "buy" their good will.  I want to make a simple gesture of thanks for their help in dealing with our situation.

I have considered:

Jar of peanuts, maple syrup, caramel popcorn.  We live in the Midwest..region specialties seem to be pork rinds and corn...not sure I want to offer a bag of pork rinds!

What do you all suggest?

ETA: The recipients live in a rural area, over 100 miles from a large city.

If it were me, I would be putting together a little foodie basket of Texas things (because that's where I am at).  So a tin of caramel popcorn or bottle of maple syrup in a nice package or just a big bow on it would be good.

For the staff, put the kisses in a nice tin-type container (empty kisses into a pretty container).  There are lots of varieties of kisses so I would mix it up.

I might head out to TJ Maxx...of all the weird places!  They usually have a variety of interesting food items with nice packaging, although no clue on the quality.

Any one know about jelly beans?  Are they available in Germany?

ETA:  I was looking at the marshmallow peeps...I don't know if they would go over too well though.  They are so over the top sugary and have morphed into something beyond an Easter treat. 

I've brought maple syrup to Germany in my checked luggage.  Just make sure to have it in plastic bottles, and then in ziploc bags.  Bring small bottles - they really have absolutely no idea what to do with it.

I personally wouldn't bring chocolate - European chocolate is soooooooo much better! :tongue_smilie:

Seconding all the other responses: maple syrup (or candy or sugar or cream) and something regional from your area that can be used. I wouldn't bother taking chocolate--who in their right mind would choose American over European! Ha ha. Only take chocolate if you're going to Canada (sorry ,but gag!).

If you are taking it to Germany then they are not going to be impressed with American chocolate. Germany has laws reqarding what can and cannot be called chocolate. American chocolate doesn't usually qualify.

SIL lives in Europe and she did make a request for jelly bellies. I would probably take those.

Do not bring chocolate. No offense - but Hershey's does not compare favorably to European chocolate.

Popcorn is good. caramel popcorn is even better. Not very common. Don't bring microwave popcorn, as most Germans do not have a microwave oven.

Peeps are good. (But more a kid thing.)

Tortilla chips are not readily available in Germany, only in few stores and in tiny bags. Chips and salsa would be great.

Apple butter. Or anything pumpkin.

Not sure about maple syrup, as most people would not know how to use it (we don't typically do pancakes in Germany)

Regional wine is good (must be in checked baggage). Much smaller risk of offending the receiver than it may be in the US; I personally do not know any non drinkers.

One thing that is a big hit with German family and friends: seasonal home textiles, stuff like kitchen towels and potholders with Easter motives. 

We're hosting a German exchange student next year and I sent her a care package of uniquely American candy/treats recently. She really liked the chocolate-covered potato chips and Reese's cups. She didn't like Peeps.  ;)  

If you would like for me to run any ideas past her family to see if they're appropriate, I'd be glad to do so.

Lisa

If you are taking it to Germany then they are not going to be impressed with American chocolate. Germany has laws reqarding what can and cannot be called chocolate. American chocolate doesn't usually qualify.

I had the same thought initially but I have sent candy to my relative (at their request) and the Hershey's chocolate was a favorite among the caretakers.  I think the novelty of it may go a long ways.  :laugh:

We had an exchange student (well, grad student) who was no end of excited over the weird M&M's (like coconut).  

Marshmallows were hard to find and I didn't see any Fluff at all.  They did like peanut butter (even though they have Nutella. which the kids all think is better than peanut butter)

Most of our European friends think Maple sugar candy is too sweet. Maple syrup is available in ridiculously small and expensive containers and they weren't big fans.

BarBQ sauce went over well.

Mexican food is hard to find and expensive. Maybe Taco seasoning and taco shells?  And cheddar, which is also hard to find.

Girl Scout cookies were popular, probably more as a bit of Americana than the taste.