Menu

help me pick some pizza toppings (dietary restrictions)

Tap

Ok, so I have several dietary restrictions  or allergies and I need some ideas for pizza toppings/combinations that would be good.  I have figured out that I can make mini pizzas and just toss the in the oven when I cook the family meals that I can't eat.

I can not have:

Tomatoes

Potatoes

Eggplant

Peppers of any kind (including chili powder etc)

corn or corn products like corn meal

salmon or shrimp

sesame seeds or oil

eggs

fresh cheese like mozzarella

I can have a small amount of cured cheese as a topping  but not a main ingredient

Tonight I had

crust

olive oil

garlic salt

Italian seasoning

artichoke hearts

spinach

kalmata olives

mushrooms

I would have caramelized sweet onion but was out, so I used some scallions instead

a tablespoon of cheddar/monetary jack cheese

Tonight I made the family spaghetti and tomorrow is enchiladas.  I was hoping for a pizza idea for tomorrow night that isn't one I would normally come up with.  Meat is fine, I just didn't have it on the pizza tonight. 

Any ideas?

Burritos could help you too. I know you asked about pizza, but since tomorrow is taco night, maybe you can make extra of the things you can eat and get a supply of premade burritos in the freezer.

As for pizza. Have you tried anchovies? If you can get past the preconceived notion that they're gross or weird they can really add flavor and richness to your pizza and they go great with olives. A little goes a long way, but it's an amazing flavor.

Burritos could help you too. I know you asked about pizza, but since tomorrow is taco night, maybe you can make extra of the things you can eat and get a supply of premade burritos in the freezer.

As for pizza. Have you tried anchovies? If you can get past the preconceived notion that they're gross or weird they can really add flavor and richness to your pizza and they go great with olives. A little goes a long way, but it's an amazing flavor.

Burritos are great.  They are my go to when I am running errands and need a quick snack.  There is a local authentic taco chain that has $1 bean and cheese burritos.  :0)   One of the hard things is eating food that tastes off without certain ingredients.  ie hamburgers without ketchup just aren't the same.  ;0(   

I tend to do complete-meal burritos. I load them with meat, rice, cheese, and veggies then freeze them so I always have a quick meal on hand. I make them too huge to be a snack. I'm a pig like that.

Burritos are great.  They are my go to when I am running errands and need a quick snack.  There is a local authentic taco chain that has $1 bean and cheese burritos.  :0)   One of the hard things is eating food that tastes off without certain ingredients.  ie hamburgers without ketchup just aren't the same.  ;0(

I tend to do complete-meal burritos. I load them with meat, rice, cheese, and veggies then freeze them so I always have a quick meal on hand. I make them too huge to be a snack. I'm a pig like that.

Sound yummy, but if I add all that I will want them made with Spanish rice--which I can't have, meat with seasonings like chili powder and cumin-can't have, veggies like peppers-can't have.  ;0( 

Otherwise it would have to be, plain grilled chicken, white rice, and skip the veggies, but maybe add some grilled onion.  Not nearly as yummy.   Mexican and Italian food are the hardest to make with my odd restrictions. 

My diet takes most of the good simple things like pasta and makes them bland.  I can't have any red sauce or white cheese based sauces (like alfredo), I can only  have olive oil on pasta (with plain meat, olives, and squash like zucchini).

We love butternut squash or sweet potato (cooked, mashed, seasoned and then spread on crust) with sausage, caramelized onion, and spinach or kale on pizza. We have used several different options for cheese with this, so you can probably just pick one that you can have. Everything we tried was good. 

Try fig preserves, prosciutto, and a light sprinkling of feta. I would never have come up with that combo, but a friend made it for me and it was amazing. I used to have it on a pita-like flatbread, but regular pizza crust would work too.

It is one of the things I miss about low carb eating.

I could try that, but I don't know how it would taste ok without tomato sauce.

My Dad always orders his pizza without sauce. His favorite...Hawaiian. It's pretty good. Actually, the sweet and salty of the ham and pineapple really doesn't need any "help" from sauce.

Try fig preserves, prosciutto, and a light sprinkling of feta. I would never have come up with that combo, but a friend made it for me and it was amazing. I used to have it on a pita-like flatbread, but regular pizza crust would work too.

It is one of the things I miss about low carb eating.

Here's a wonderful low carb/paleo pizza crust that works best as a thin crust/pita thickness. It is my go-to for pizza night - even my super picky eater likes it!

http://www.feedtheclan.com/our-love-affair-with-pizza/

i made this sauce two weeks ago.

http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce

it is to die for.  they suggest using it as a pizza sauce or as a pasta sauce or .....

i could not believe how good it was.

hth,

ann

eta:.  when i made this i added water instead of milk, and used much less than they recommended.  i didn't use the water the cauliflower had cooked in, because i wanted to minimize the cauliflower taste.  none of the family could figure out the ingredients :).  i think it could be tasty with chicken broth or vegetable broth, too. 

Wow! Great ideas everyone. 

No on the alfredo sauce, too much milk.   I am technically allergic, but can have a few bites of cured cheese.

Sausage is hit and miss.  If it has 'spices' listed as ingredients I can't have it due to my pepper reaction.  If it lists all the ingredients individually, I may be able to eat it,  but it is hard to find.

Wow! Great ideas everyone. 

No on the alfredo sauce, too much milk.   I am technically allergic, but can have a few bites of cured cheese.

Sausage is hit and miss.  If it has 'spices' listed as ingredients I can't have it due to my pepper reaction.  If it lists all the ingredients individually, I may be able to eat it,  but it is hard to find.

If you like sausage, it isn't hard to make. There is even a KitchenAid stand mixer attachment that makes it pretty quick and easy to stuff your own. You could make a big batch and freeze it to use whenever you want something different.

If you like sausage, it isn't hard to make. There is even a KitchenAid stand mixer attachment that makes it pretty quick and easy to stuff your own. You could make a big batch and freeze it to use whenever you want something different.

I agree, I would make my own in such instances.

I have dairy allergies and I make a lot of things myself to avoid allergens.

Chicken "Alfredo" w/out the white sauce.  Chicken, spinach, and a  sprinkle of parmesan on top?

I think Hawaiian w/out sauce will be good.  I'm pretty sure I need to cut out tomato sauce... pizza used to not bother me, but I always get an upset stomach after spaghetti.. now pizza is causing problems.. I really don't like the sauce anyway, so I'm thinking next time we get a pizza, it will be Hawaiian w/out sauce!

Hamburger, caramelized onion, and whatever veggies you can throw on...

Hamburger, but season w/ Italian seasonings to make it "sausage"

Oh, think about warm sandwich wraps you could have, and make those your toppings!

One of my favorite non-standard pizzas has a smear of ricotta on the dough with maybe some parm, baked. Then hot out of the oven they put on fresh baby arugula dressed with lemon and olive oil. It's so good! If you can't have ricotta, you could do garlic oil.

Can you eat Alouette or similar? It's good as a "sauce." I put it on grilled pizzas and top with fresh summer veggies.

Taco pizza with refried beans for sauce, topped with whatever taco toppings (ground beef? chicken? cheddar?)

If you can have feta, it's great on pizza!

Swiss with ham and chicken for cordon bleu

Other hard, strong cheeses like Dubliner go well with caramelized onion. It can be smeared with oil to be sauce-y.

Homemade pesto or chimichurri sauce?

Homemade ranch?

We eat cheese less pizza all the time due to food allergies. Some favorite toppings are seasoned ground beef & pepperoni. Tis is for the kids cuz they like meat. Mine are always veggie. I like artichoke hearts, asparagus, olives, fresh tomatoes, spinach, fresh basil, carmelized onions, squash, zucchini, loads of garlic.

You can also make Thai pizza with peanut sauce and chicken.

You can also make Mexican pizza with salsa and black beans.

Yum! Now I want pizza!