Menu

Anyone seen Divergent yet?

wonderchica

Yes! Saw it last night. I didn't love that Theo James is supposed to be playing an 18-year-old when he clearly looks like he's in his 30s, but other than that, he was just perfect as Four. Of course I thought the book was better (as usual), but I thought they generally did a really good job with the movie. Usually I walk out of a movie adaptation annoyed, but I walked out of this one feeling good :D

On the other hand, we saw the preview for the movie version of The Giver, and I'm going to have to boycott that, I think  :glare:

I thought they did a good job with the book to movie translation.  I don't know if I can agree with the casting of Tris even though she did a good job with the role.  Tris was supposed to be one of those petite heroines they are talking about in another thread and the girl towered over several other people. 

Yes! Saw it last night. I didn't love that Theo James is supposed to be playing an 18-year-old when he clearly looks like he's in his 30s, but other than that, he was just perfect as Four. Of course I thought the book was better (as usual), but I thought they generally did a really good job with the movie. Usually I walk out of a movie adaptation annoyed, but I walked out of this one feeling good :D

On the other hand, we saw the preview for the movie version of The Giver, and I'm going to have to boycott that, I think  :glare:

He's 29 in real life.  28 when they filmed.  Still way to old to be Four, but not as old as he looks.

Lois Lowry is very happy with The Giver so far.  She's been on set some (not nearly as involved as John Green was in TFiOS, but still involved).  So I'm curious what would make you want to boycott when the author has had nothing but positive things to say (I follow her on Twitter lol).

I'm still mad about how the third book turned out. I'm not sure I can bring myself to see the movie. I might just wait till it is out on DVD!

You and me both. I hated the last book so much (not just because of the ending but because OH MY GOODNESS THE PLOT HOLES, not to mention the characters regressing), that I'm not sure I can enjoy anything to do with the series anymore. Though I've heard the movie made some major plot changes from the book, and I'm curious to see what those are.

You and me both. I hated the last book so much (not just because of the ending but because OH MY GOODNESS THE PLOT HOLES, not to mention the characters regressing), that I'm not sure I can enjoy anything to do with the series anymore. Though I've heard the movie made some major plot changes from the book, and I'm curious to see what those are.

Agree! I feel like the characters and plot changed so drastically in the third book. I hated the change in narrator too.

DH and I saw it last night. We loved it! It's one of my favorite books and I usually hate movies based on my favorite books. So this is a nice change! Four.....he's very nice to look at LOL. He's exactly how I pictured Four to be. Maybe even better LOL. I think they could have cast Tris better though....she's not how I thought she'd look.

I plan to see it.  My dd's friend is in the movie (he plays Caleb).  I feel like I want to read the books first, though. 

Your daughter's friend is Ansel Elgort?!?!  He plays Gus in The Fault in Our Stars.  Along with Shailene (who plays Tris).  She's Hazel in TFiOS.

Your daughter's friend is Ansel Elgort?!?!  He plays Gus in The Fault in Our Stars.  Along with Shailene (who plays Tris).  She's Hazel in TFiOS.

Yes - same high school (Ansel graduated in 2012).  His girlfriend is still at the school and is also friends with my dd.  They'll all be at prom together in a few months, lol.  

Agree! I feel like the characters and plot changed so drastically in the third book. I hated the change in narrator too.

Yes, yes, yes!  In the last book I kept picturing Four as this boy who was sniveling in a corner with snot running out of his nose.  I could not stand him! 

I think this is a movie series that could definitely improve on the book. The last book; I liked the first two.

Kelly

I can't wait to see the movie especially with the good reviews it is receiving. My two daughters are reading it now so I am waiting on them to have a mother/daughter movie date as incentive to finish quickly.

Unpopular opinion coming. I absolutely loved the first book and strongly liked the second book. Usually I am not fond of second books in a trilogy as they tend to seem like filler until the last one. When I finished reading the final book, I instantly gave it 4 stars. (1st-5stars, 2nd-3stars) Filled with doubt after reading amazon's reviews, I changed my rating to 3 stars. Wondering why the drastic difference in reviews, I skimmed many parts and raised my rating to 4 again. Honestly it is close to a 5 after much thought but I felt the author could have pushed the characters more to easier distinguish the narrator.  While I don't mind that style of writing, Too often I found myself having to flip back to the beginning of the chapter to determine who was speaking. For this reason alone it is a four star in my mind. This is the first book that I have ever highlighted an entire page on my kindle as I don't highlight much at all especially YA books.  The series resonated with me as I associate with both Trish and Four. For this reason, I find the change in Four completely believable and even necessary to portray. I loved that it wasn't an easy transition for either character and was out a book's typical norm but rarely does life create easy or expected results especially at first. Day and Night both have beauty but its when they meet  that the true beauty of the two shines like nothing else. Four and Tris had beauty in strength, character, etc but it wasn't until the darker or less appealing sides became visible that you could really see it.  Some people are able to acknowledge those negative traits without allowing them to take control and some people sadly never overcome them. (ex. without spoilers-the one that took the memory serum in last book) Some can't face or acknowledge any negativity and therefore stall never moving forward even if they aren't going backwards. They will never know how strong and beautiful they could be if they would push through. Not to say that everyone can do it alone, which I think was addressed in Allegiant. For all the physical and mental strength that Four had, he couldn't accept all of himself and therefore was weak even if nobody saw it. It wasn't until he came full circle to really see this side of him and allow others to see and help that he became truly strong. Some people found the plot holes as a negative but I don't agree. I liked the author's lack of details. It wasn't clear as to how things changed or why people accepted the way things were without question for generations. Yet I think that is one of the major points of the book. Things happen in the world that baffle people every day yet do these same people take action or sit idly by allowing change to gradually happen whether good or bad. In Allegiant the sculpture was a prime example of this. Tris's view of the sculpture was different than that of the scientists but just as valid. I will even take it one step farther by saying just as the water was slowly changing the stone below one drip at a time, future viewers may not realize the stone's original appearance was drastically different. The ones that were present to see the slow change may be so accustomed to it that they don't even realize or acknowledge it happening or remember the original beauty without proof. Hopefully now you can understand my acceptance of the author not filling in all the plot holes in a less abstract way as I  am quite capable of filling them in myself. For me it was more important to learn the above lesson than to know the exact who's, what's, or ifs. Some reviews disliked the science of the book. The were caught up in the impossibilities found throughout which I can see cumbersome to some but for me I was able to believe for the sake of the story. In the end, I found the book  inspiring without preaching, suggestive of self worth but not love of self,  thoughtful teaching of the different dynamics of relationships, and proof that things are not always as they seem. Beyond that I found the best ending isn't always the one we want but what we do with it that makes the difference.

Then again, everyone else hated the book so what do I know. :lol:

Rethinking and I've decided to see the first movie. I really liked the first book. It was farfetched but good. The second book wasn't great. It just wore on and on. I hated the third book. I don't think the author fleshed out her ideas well enough. Or maybe she got to the third book and didn't have a clue how to wrap it up. It seems as though the big reveal was just thought up on the fly. I hope they can change enough within the movies so that the series makes more sense.

My husband and I saw it Monday.  My older two kids saw it Saturday.  We all loved the movie.  They did a *fabulous* job.  I'm still not 100% sold on Shailene Woodley as Tris (I'm like at 97% lol).  She did a good job, but I didn't love her in that role.  Four was absolutely perfect.  All of her scenes with Ansel Elgort were weird because until actually watching the movie, I'd seen tons more clips and pictures from The Fault in Our Stars (plus pictures John Green and Ansel tweeted during filming - I might, um, follow both of them on Twitter...) and so it was kind of weird seeing the two of them in a sister-brother relationship rather than very, very sick boyfriend and girlfriend.  So that was actually kind of distracting to me.  What's her name that played Janeen was perfect.  I didn't like that the actors who played Peter, Al, and Will all looked so similar.

Watching the movie, I realized that Tris going into the room unarmed willing to sacrifice herself paralleled her parents' sacrifices in the first book.  I still don't think it was true to Tris's character to go in unarmed, though.  Tris would've had a gun even if she died in the process.  The worst part of the third book, to me, was Four's behavior.  It's like his whole identity and self-worth was wrapped up in being Divergent (though what enabled him to fight off serums and what not really never was clear to me).  His behavior didn't seem true to the Four in the previous two books either.  I agree with the pp that she didn't seem to know how to wrap it all up.  The third book seemed to be such a departure from what you knew about the characters in the first two books.  I think the trilogy would have made an excellent single 400-500 page book.