Menu

Girls that use free weights. A ? for you.

Slache

I have a set of 3, 5, and 8lb weights that I use. I started with 3's, and worked my way up to the 8's, but still use the 3's for lateral raises (raising my arms up and out in front of me. Anything heavier than 5lbs hurts my shoulders for those types of moves).

What's also really good for overall toning though is body-weight exercises, like Pilates and Yoga.

Hmmm.  I would say I have a medium natural build (but small wrists)... but I'm carrying extra weight right now.

I have pairs of the following weights:  1, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20.  

I also own kettlebells from paperweight (4#) to beast (88#) but that's another kettle o' fish...

I personally prefer workouts with lighter weights/high reps workout... but I think you can get trim/tight with heavy, also.  Women aren't naturally inclined to carry muscle bulk.... most of the time that people look "bulky" it is because they've got extra padding.

Generally the workout (number of reps, range of motion) one is doing will dictate the weight you use.

It is a myth that lifting heavy weights makes women bulky.  It's over training limited muscle groups and, in some instances, genetics that make otherwise lean women look bulky.  Female body builders don't get those results from the sort of training most of us do.  They get that from making training their work and eating a lot of protein and usually taking supplements. 

Stretching is important to creating a longer look.  Using lighter weights though, like so many women are advised to do, is just silly.  And that whole light weight, high rep count thing?  Makes me wanna throw something. 

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/11/7-strength-training-myths-every-woman-should-know/

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/10/myth-buster-6-female-strength-training-myths-that-wont-die/

I have neither a small or medium build (I am tall and broad through the shoulders with man sized hands and feet) so I won't advise you on specific weights to lift but I will say that I have never been more trim and fit than I am while working out to my peak fitness level and lifting as much as I can. And the same goes for my petite friends. 

I can hold my 70 pound son on my shoulders while my 40 pound son is on my hip and a beach bag over my other shoulder and then walk around.  The idea that lifting the oft suggested one or two pound hand weight would help me in any way whatsoever is hilarious. 

ETA:  I consider my fitness work to be cross training for my life.  In real life, moms frequently lift heavy things.  Groceries, kids, furniture etc.  The average shopping trip, just lifting cheese and milk and vegetables into the cart, is more exertion than the some of the exercises pitched to women in the interest of avoiding bulk.   Limiting ourselves to only very light weights in high reps isn't going to make life easier or more fun or healthier.  There is a time for lighter hand weights (I use 5s and 8s in my boot camp) but most of the time a one pound weight just isn't enough for a young and otherwise healthy able bodied woman. 

Weights are not going to make you bulky.  I started lifting at 10 (I'm 45 now)…that was the concern back then, but honestly the only people who ever got bulky were using steroids and extreme dieting to lower body fat.    

There are different theories as to what works best, but I'm a fan of more weight fewer reputations.  Too much time to do it the other way. :)

Like others said, without taking steroids/having weird amounts of testosterone you won't be bulky. I have 8,10,15 and 25lb dumb bells. I use different ones depending on what I am doing. I'm in the more weight/fewer reps camp. Lifting light will train for endurance not strength. Don't discount body weight exercises either. Push ups/pull ups will kick you. Oh, I'm 5'6" and 130. I'd say I have a medium build.

I'm a petite 5'3" 130lb size 4 pants and xsmall top and my max lift is a 130lb squat barbell at home.  I could lift heavier with a spotter but am happy with my max.  I'm 44 years old so I'm more concern with joint issues.

I do change up my routine month to month.  I will do some high rep and will use 2 (40lb dumbbell) which are the heaviest dumbbell I use.  If I need to go heavier I use my barbell.. 

I do tend to build muscle early.  I have been more msulcar (bulky) but that can only happen when I eat lots of protein.  I have to take proten shakes and large quality of food to bulk up as  female   When I did the high protein weight lifting my shoulders and arms got to big for my shirts LOL.  I still was not any way bulky or looked like a body building.  I still use the same weights but just cut my protein down and now I am strong but my muscle size is smaller more compact.

The lady body builders that  are legit competitors take in lots of protein to build the muscle definition.  The lady body builders that get the size of men are using  human growth hormone stuff or steroids.

I'm very petite; small bone structure, short, low weight. When I lift, I lift as heavy as I safely can. When that weight becomes easy, I try to move up. I bought a nice adjustable weight set that goes from about 5-50lbs. It's plenty for me, although I've been slacking and not doing anything lately. I don't like to spend a long time on it, so I prefer high weight/low reps so I can be done! I don't think I could ever bulk up without taking steroids or something. I don't have the build for it.

Lifting weights won't make you bulky.

I lift as heavy as I can... currently anywhere between 20-45 lbs (dumbbells), depending on the workout. Some moves need to have lighter weights for safety reasons.

I prefer working out with bars, though - squats, bench press, dead lift. I also lift as heavy as I can for each of those.

Like others said, without taking steroids/having weird amounts of testosterone you won't be bulky. I have 8,10,15 and 25lb dumb bells. I use different ones depending on what I am doing. I'm in the more weight/fewer reps camp. Lifting light will train for endurance not strength. Don't discount body weight exercises either. Push ups/pull ups will kick you. Oh, I'm 5'6" and 130. I'd say I have a medium build.

Yes and burpees/squat thrusts or holding the plank.  

I'm 5'6", 133 lbs and a medium frame. I use dumbbells, a standard straight bar, and a standard EZ curl bar and workout at home. I curl 36 lbs on the bar. I bench press 55 lbs, clean and press (from the floor) 45 lbs, and deadlift 105. Every week I try to add 5 lbs on the bar. There are some lifts where I go really light for safety's sake.

I do 10 reps with a weight. When I can do more than 10, it's time to add more weight. If I can only do 7 or less reps, then I strip it back. I lift 4 days per week and do abs and cardio 6 days per week.

I agree that it won't make you bulky unless you're on steroids. Building up muscle will, however, burn more calories than cardio alone ever will.

Pick up "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." That should about cover it all. If I can ever get over my fear of the creepy weight room at the Y or my dh gets saner hours, that's the route I'm going. See also: Stronglifts 5x5 for Women.

This is what I am doing. I bought a squat rack and Olympic bar with weights on Craiglist and I do it in my basement. 

Last time I did New Rules of Lifting I was squatting 150lbs. I lift HEAVY. I am 5'11 medium frame. The lowest weight I started with this time was 45lbs. 

Pick up "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." That should about cover it all. If I can ever get over my fear of the creepy weight room at the Y or my dh gets saner hours, that's the route I'm going. See also: Stronglifts 5x5 for Women.

I just started strong lifts a few weeks ago and love it! I haven't lifted since college and wish I never would have quit. You start with just a barbell (45 lbs for Olympic or you can get smaller ones) and add weight as you go, after you've learned the moves/form.

I also just read through new rules for lifting for women and that was good too.

I am over 2 weeks in and my squat is at 70 lbs. bench 60, dead lifts 100, overhead press and rows at 45- and I just started.

You won't get bulky. Lift heavy things :)

I'm 5'6" 128 lbs. and have a small frame and use free weights and machines. Which weight I use depends on the muscle I'm working, but I don't do any of that low weight, high rep stuff. The most reps I do in a set are 10 with a bit lighter weights or down to 6 with heavier weights. I alternate. I've been doing this a long time, and I'm definitely toned, but not bulky. IMO, if you can easily complete 10 reps, your weight is too light. That doesn't apply to people with health issues, of course. By that tenth rep, I'm really working to complete it. As long as you can complete your exercises with good form, your weight is probably not too heavy.

I agree with everyone who said heavy lifting will absolutely NOT make a woman bulky.  Women do not produce enough of the right kind of hormones to easily build muscle.  When eating at a surplus, over the amount of calories you need in a day, and progressively lifting weights in a hypertrophy (muscle building) rep range women can gain .5 - 1 lb of muscle a month max.  

Some people mistakenly believe that when you can see muscle definition that means you have built muscle.  Generally this is a sign of losing bodyfat thus revealing the muscles that were already present. 

I began lifting weights a year ago to gain strength and to improve my body composition.  I have had wonderful results despite taking a three month break (Oct - Jan).  

- The jeans that were tight on me are now lose and I weigh the same

- I am on the verge of visible ab definition, which I have never had despite being thin most of my life

- My butt is lifted, rounded, and perkier; before it was flat and flabby

- My legs look better than they ever have

My current lifts are (I am 5'2" and 117 lbs, I have a small frame):

Squat 125 lbs

Deadlift 135 lbs (going to try for 140, maybe 145 tomorrow!)

Overhead Press 55 lbs

Bench Press 65 lbs

Power Clean 80 lbs

For anyone interested in lifting here are some good starter programs:

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women

Jamie Eason Live Fit

Strong Lifts 5x5

Starting Strength (I use this one)

If you chose to incorporate strength training stay away from programs that have you lifting very light weights a gazillion times, they won't do much for you.  Being sore the next day is not an indicator that it is working, I can sit here and flex my quad a gazillion times and it will most likely be sore tomorrow but I guarantee it isn't any stronger.  

ETA: 
Good programs to use if you don't have access to weights:

You Are Your Own Gym

Convict Conditioning