Menu

Answered. Thank you.

Desert Strawberry

Do you think this is beyond a typical "into everything" boy stage?  He sounds like he is more difficult than most almost 5 year olds.  I ask as it could be that an evaluation would help to see what, if anything else, you are dealing with.  It sounds like it might have sensory issues, etc.

I had a child that was very difficult to keep up with.  I took her for an evaluation and the tester came out of the room and said "I'm tired.  Do you know that she doesn't attend to any activity for more than 15 seconds at a time?".............YEP. that is why we were there :-)

My son does not have pica, but he was similar- always into things, running away in every public setting, jumping from the top of the stairs etc.  We've found that occupational therapy along with music therapy (called ILS) has helped enormously.  He is more focused and happier, rarely jumps or destroys things.  We still struggle with him, but meeting his sensory need has made a huge difference in his behavior.  Good luck.  You definitely have my sympathies!

I would definitely do some research about sensory processing issues, and seek an evaluation with someone who specializes in that. A pediatrician (or school evaluator) is unlikely to know anything about SPD.

In the meantime, you could try some of the suggestions in books like Raising a Sensory Smart Child and The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder.

I shudder to remember the first 5 years of my daughter's life. Sounds very similar to what you described. The first really helpful thing we did was to start applying an essential oil mix called the peaceful child blend, every morning. The days we forgot it were nightmares. The second helpful thing was to cut out gluten after she tested intolerant to it. And finally, months later, we cut out all dairy. That made the biggest difference. I began to see and fall in love with my child at last.

I also tightened up on my parenting. Previous to this I had been pregnant and had a little baby. Was sick or tired, so she got away with a lot. I made a chart with spaces for 100 star stickers, and a photo of a very enticing reward for her to earn when she filled her chart. Then I watched her closely and awarded stickers for obedience, acting kindly, and stopping to think about her impulses. She learned quickly the right way to act, and we did it without punishing her.

Life is so much better with her now!! Good luck with your little boy!

For the immediate safety concerns, are there any flavors he doesn't like? Nothing harmful, of course, but something he finds unpleasant? Perhaps you could associate that flavor and the Mr. Yuck stickers or a certain other sticker. And then put those on all the household cleaners and meds that he really must not ingest.

I have a friend who had a child like that. She ended up getting one of those backpack leashes and clipping it to her belt. I don't remember how long she did it for, but it was quite a while while she got therapy help for her kiddo. It looked exhausting and it sounds exhausting what you are going through.

I wish I had an actual good suggestion!

My oldest has SPD. We have done/are doing this.

Fyi, I have experience working with kids in a variety of settings, have worked in medicine/nursing, have a Behavioral Sciences degree, am trained in behavioural therapy and have informally observed a sensory OT, among other therapies. I know what I am looking at. I am doing *everything* to address his needs. I have not done any alternative medicine yet, but I am willing to explore that if it might help.

So, to sum up, I should keep doing what I am doing. But more of it.

Have you stepped back and done an official FBA? I know it's a pain, but (if you haven't) taking a few days to track ABC data *could* show you a link or pattern.

I don't understand the one star rating on this thread.  Who does that? Strawberrymama was just asking for input.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  to you, strawberrymama.  I enjoy your posts (even when I don't agree ;))  and am glad you're on the board.