Menu

My favorite kid quote for the day is…..

planner

From yesterday, as a bad day with my usually well treated severe morning sickness had me vomiting uncontrollably and unable to take my anti-nausea meds

From 3yo as I am 'chucking' in the toilet

"No mummy! Potty for wees, potty for poos, for mummy wees, for daddy wees, for *dd* wees, not for chuck! Tub for chuck mummy, not potty! Naughty mummy"

Conversation with my 6 yodd last night

"How was basketball practice?"  "Oh, good.  We had a shmiggle."  "A shmiggle?"  "Yup"  "Oh, what is a shmiggle?"  "You know, when you play against another team but it doesn't count and you don't keep score."  "Oh!  You mean a scrimmage."  "No, I 'm pretty sure she said it was called a shmiggle."  "Oh, alright then."

Dd: I don't want to eat my dinner!

Me: (At my wits end after weeks of battles over this) Remember when we visited Papi's family in El Salvador and we saw all those kids who didn't have enough to eat? You are so lucky to have food to eat, so eat your dinner!

Dd: they can have my dinner, I don't want it!

She was 3 1/2 at the time.

My husband was gone for 2 weeks on a business trip (my mom came to help - thank goodness). I'll admit it, school was more relaxed than usual, but with my mom there it was like a holiday. So, at the dinner table...

Dh: So, L - how's school been the past two weeks?

L: we haven't done school.

Me: what? Yes we have. We did math.... and science.... and dictation... and vocabulary...

C: and watched Frozen.

Dh (laughing): oh, yeah? During school? I see how it is.

Me:no, really it's not like that.

Dh:okay, okay - L, what did you learn?

L: Frozen songs.

Good grief! I thought Dh would die laughing. Seriously, we DID school. :-)

It's a running joke in our house that the kids like dh better.  My son, who is a little bit socially awkward, with tact being his biggest shortcoming, has shared the following:

-while learning decimals evidently - "I love Daddy "0.5% more...that's just 1/2 of 1% so hardly anything at all".

-One night dd came out and got two good-night kisses from me but six from dh, cause he gets three times the love because he's more fun (plays Wii with them, which I don't as much because I'm really really bad at it).

So, I reminded her how I used to play games with them all the time, and did crafts, and let her play with play-doh - which did get me a couple more kisses .

ds walked out in the middle of this discussion and said "Well how about this mom, you stay home tomorrow, we'll stay off the computer all day, and we can play board games together". When I told him I couldn't stay home tomorrow. "That's okay mom, I didn't really mean it, I was just trying to make you feel better. Did you REALLY think I'd give up computer all day??"

-Talking to the kids about a special event at the museum this weekend, dd said I never doing anything fun with them (!!!!) and ds comes a pats me on the shoulder patronizingly and says "mom, you're going to have to do better than that."

-DD "when I grow up I want to be a jobless woman"

-DS asked for a dragon poster. "Not a Pokemon dragon, a dragon like lived in Medieval Times." So, we talked about it a little bit and I ended up telling him dragons weren't real. After a bit of argument (in which I did tell him he could get a poster even if they weren't real), he said "what next, you going to make DD cry by saying unicorns aren't real?"  :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I thoughts of this thread today during an embarrassing moment...

We were in the very-overcrowded public bathroom of a major science museum today. There was a very long line of people waiting, as is standard in public women's restrooms.

I was holding the stall door to give my dd4 some 'privacy.' I asked her if she was about done as there were lots of people waiting, and she says 'not quite, she needed a minute...'

Then, in a (loud!) straining whisper, I, along with everyone else, hear

"Come on an#s, do your stuff!"

So glad we don't live in that town because I have a feeling all those laughing ladies will remember dd😳

After finishing breakfast this morning, with peanut butter still on his face,  my 3 yo just asked me what is for breakfast tomorrow.  "Tomorrow?  I don't know."

" Oh, well can we have sausage NICK muffins?" 

I make English muffins with cheese and sausage on them like they do at McDonald's and the kids call them sausage McMuffins.  And why is worried about what we are going to have for breakfast tomorrow already?

Ds2 has a thing for picking up millipedes. They are pretty smelly. The older kids keep telling him go away they stink. Older ds flicked his millipede away. Ds2 indignantly "Don't push my stinky people".

I think millipedes are going to be known as stinky people in our house for a long long time.

My middle dd is always good for a laugh. Yesterday she told her older sister that she thought the "f bad word" might be "fickle dairy".

She is also trying to decide on the theme for her birthday. And since she likes the Feista decor and wants to support the military, she decided she wanted a "Mexican military" birthday theme. :D