Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing?

PrincessMommy

hey all,

someone asked on the other thread if we could start another thread that isn't holiday themed. 

I don't think there's any right/wrong way to do it, so sure!   Please don't feel like you have to wait for me to start one.  I'm surely NOT the craft thread queen.   :tongue_smilie:

There's not even a week left in this month, so I think this may end up being the Jan/Feb edition.

Post your creative endeavors here.   Do you have any goals for the rest of the winter?

I'm starting two stash busting projects.  One is making coasters with some of my cotton yarn.  I have way more than I'll use for this particular project, but it's a start. I'm also going to make a ruana using some rayon chenille I've had for about 3 yrs.  That's what I get for finding it cheap on sale.  I bought way more than I really needed.  I'm just hoping the ruana doesn't end up being too heavy.  But, it will be warm.  

I'm surely NOT the craft thread queen.   :tongue_smilie: 

Yeah, you are. :D

Dh has managed to lose both his winter hats so I'm working on a hat for him from Patons superwash dk. My first time with this yarn so I hope it works out. I had already made a replacement hat from sock yarn doubled but that one didn't quite work out for him fit-wise.

I just made the CUTEST Valentine's garland/devotional/countdown!!!

It's 14 laminated cards (3*3"), which I then painted with homemade scratch off, and stung on pink baker's twine with red ribbon ties. It's disgustingly cute. Every day the kids will scratch off a heart with a bible verse to copy - and a challenge or prayer prompt. In 14 days they'll copy 1 Cor 13, to give as a gift. :-) I can't wait to hang it. I made 2 and will mail one to my BFFs girls today!!

I feel like an annoying Pinterest mom right now!!

Dc has recently refound interest in knitting and is working on very complicated lace patterns from a wonderful book that is probably OOP which I got second hand. Anyway it's made me think that I need to start another hat or cowl. There's something so companionable about knitting with one's child. I have so much yarn I need to use up but the color that is speaking to me most right now I don't happen to have. A trip to the yarn store is probably in order but that requires some discipline. Random yarn store wonderfulness...

I'm surely NOT the craft thread queen.   :tongue_smilie:

Quick, somebody sew, knit, weave, or make Debbi a paper crown!  You have been anointed!

As usual, I have a pair of socks going on the knitting needles...

I was just about to pull out some felt and my sewing machine.  Aren't these Valentines cute?

The tutorial is here.

Jane, how difficult are socks? I've been wanting to make them for awhile now but somehow the shape is throwing me off. I'd say I'm an intermediate knitter. I've knit lots of hats, a shawl or two and worked some lace patterns. Do you have a good rec for a 'first' sock pattern?

Basic socks are just that--pretty basic once you get the hang of turning the heel which is not hard.  I took a class at my local knitting store which proved to be really fun.  The woman who taught it is married to a minister and the other gal in the class (yup, just two of us) was a retired minister.  So we knitted and had theological or literary discusses.  Periodically our instructor would remind us to be quiet and knit.  The quiet never lasted...

I found the most detailed and helpful book to be Ann Budd's book Getting Started Knitting Socks, published by Interweave.

I had never used doublepoints until I made socks.  Now I wonder why I thought they were so mysterious.  There is a whole crew who swears by Magic Loop, knitting two socks at a time.  I haven't had any inclination to try this.

Socks are great because of portability.  Some people don't like them because you usually work on small needles (I usually use size 2s). 

Boy, are there some fun sock yarns out there!

Basic socks are just that--pretty basic once you get the hang of turning the heel which is not hard.  I took a class at my local knitting store which proved to be really fun.  The woman who taught it is married to a minister and the other gal in the class (yup, just two of us) was a retired minister.  So we knitted and had theological or literary discusses.  Periodically our instructor would remind us to be quiet and knit.  The quiet never lasted...

I found the most detailed and helpful book to be Ann Budd's book Getting Started Knitting Socks, published by Interweave.

I had never used doublepoints until I made socks.  Now I wonder why I thought they were so mysterious.  There is a whole crew who swears by Magic Loop, knitting two socks at a time.  I haven't had any inclination to try this.

Socks are great because of portability.  Some people don't like them because you usually work on small needles (I usually use size 2s). 

That sounds like a knitting class I'd enjoy :D

I've seen various blogs highlighting the double-sock approach which seems complicated enough that I think the one-sock-at-a-time method would be more doable.

I have to say that I detest working with dpns. So that could be an issue. At any rate thanks for the links and info.

Jane, how difficult are socks? I've been wanting to make them for awhile now but somehow the shape is throwing me off. I'd say I'm an intermediate knitter. I've knit lots of hats, a shawl or two and worked some lace patterns. Do you have a good rec for a 'first' sock pattern?

I'm not Jane, but I like this basic pattern for socks. Don't be intimidated by them. Just read the pattern, and then do it. I started socks when I still considered myself a "basic" knitter. If I can do it, you can do it.

I had some crocheting projects late fall to replace wool hats that were eaten by the dog. Not sure what he sees in wool yarn. I spend most of my time quilting, though. I bought this mini quilt pattern subscription from Canoe Ridge Creations, but of the four patterns we've gotten so far I've only finished one. I also have a block/mini quilt to make for next month's quilt guild meeting and three more WIP.

I had all these plans for winter sewing, but winter makes me want to curl up under a quilt...not make one. :0)

Those valentines are adorable!

I'm not Jane, but I like this basic pattern for socks. Don't be intimidated by them. Just read the pattern, and then do it. I started socks when I still considered myself a "basic" knitter. If I can do it, you can do it.

I think your link requires an account with Lion.  But I will second that a basic knitter can do socks. (But then your avatar says that You Can Do Anything!!)

I think your link requires an account with Lion.  But I will second that a basic knitter can do socks. (But then your avatar says that You Can Do Anything!!)

Oops, you're right, it requires an account (I believe it's free, but...)

Here's another pattern. It's a basic pattern for socks using *worsted* weight. Sort of nice for a first pattern because the worsted works up faster, but you do get really thick socks. They're good for wearing around the house, but stink for fitting inside shoes :laugh: 

I'm not crafty at all, but I'm working on my second Eagle Scout scrapbook. It's kinda fun, actually. I was given multiple vintage copies of BSA handbooks, and I've been able to use pages from these old books to embellish my project. Makes embellishments much cheaper, and gives it a great vintage feel.

For anyone interested in expanding their lace repertoire here is the book I was referencing. The patterns are wonderfully accessible even for beginners IMHO.

Looks like a cool book.

One of my personal indulgences is a subscription to PieceWork, a magazine that focuses on the historical aspects of various needlecrafts, often "women's work".  Piecework inspired me to embellish knitting with beads.

4721.PWcover.jpg

07KN5.jpg

:iagree:

Ann Budd taught me to knit hats, socks, and mittens! (The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns.) I think the baby cables sock I cast on last night is from that very book. (Maybe. I have the pattern memorized, but the book is in storage.)

Looks like a cool book.

One of my personal indulgences is a subscription to PieceWork, a magazine that focuses on the historical aspects of various needlecrafts, often "women's work".  Piecework inspired me to embellish knitting with beads.

4721.PWcover.jpg

I will check that out, thank you.

ETA The current issue takes a historical focus. Looks fascinating.

This thread has re-inspired me. Dc is working away on the lace patterns by doing a swatch. Very impressed since there are 42 complicated rows to complete to make the initial pattern.

The focus of the January/February issue of PieceWork is historical although there are historical articles in every issue. The May/June magazine is the annual lace issue.  The September/October issue is literary.  One of the projects they featured a couple of years ago tickled the heart of this Homer Price fan, the Miss Terwilliger skirt:

Not that I made it.  I still enjoyed reading the article on the skirt!

Dc has recently refound interest in knitting and is working on very complicated lace patterns from a wonderful book that is probably OOP which I got second hand. Anyway it's made me think that I need to start another hat or cowl. There's something so companionable about knitting with one's child. I have so much yarn I need to use up but the color that is speaking to me most right now I don't happen to have. A trip to the yarn store is probably in order but that requires some discipline. Random yarn store wonderfulness...

south-street-15.jpg

For a minute there, I thought that was a picture of the craft room in your house!  :svengo:

I have to admit that I was feeling pretty envious...  :blush:

I am brand new at knitting and my first, almost completed, project is this headband.

headbanddirections-59231-500x333.jpg

(That's a picture from the blog listed above, by the way...not my finished project).

I only know how to do the knit stitch, but of course I am ready to learn how to purl.

Any project suggestions? I would love to make a bunch of squares and then stitch them together to make a blanket. Smart...not so smart? What do I do now???

I am brand new at knitting and my first, almost completed, project is this headband.

Cute headband!

Make what *you* want to make. If you choose something you don't want to do, it'll become such a slog you might never get through it.

I have this book I bought ages ago, and one day I'll go through it. It has patterns for all different types of squares so that you learn different techniques, and then you sew the squares together into an afghan.

I just finished 18 purses made from jeans for the swim team. I now have to make an iPad cover for the assistant coach. The pile of jeans waiting to be cut up is sitting here, but I'm trying to ignore it... :lol:

I'm working on a jeans project, too!

I'm cutting out back pockets. I'll use them as utensil/napkin holders for our summer meals outdoors. I'm aiming for 50 pockets, which is a lot of jeans! Everyone on my block knows to bring their "beyond repair" jeans to me :) and as much as I hope to be done before summer arrives, I'm not paying more than $1 per pair of jeans so it's slow-going right now - no garage sales this time of year, and the thrift stores are priced at $5+ a pair.

I'm at 23 pockets so far.  I had one pair of jeans with a ripped pocket. LOL

I've knit four hats since Christmas, and I need to move on to something else. I bought yarn for a sweater, but I'm having a hard time working up the motivation to start it.

I know what you mean.  I'm trying to get more motivated by visiting Ravelry more often, but still... all I want to do is curl up in a warm ball and sleep.

I have been slowly warping my loom with chenille.  I am reminded WHY I hate warping with chenille.  Ugh. what a PIA.  This is what the back of the loom looks like:

12328012545_a79ddd7dc1.jpg

It should not have that many S hooks hanging off the back beam .... especially after only weaving 7"!!  Ugh.   I was very careful too when I wound it on to make sure it was even and there were no stragglers.  Sigh.   I need to weave about 150" total.  I'm  making a ruana... in green and slate.  Mostly I'm stash busting...so if it doesn't really turn out I may actually cut it and use it for my first sewing project with handwoven. 

I think I need a nap. :closedeyes:

I still need to finish up baby boy's super-simple whales quilt.  The batting I like arrived this past weekend, so I just need to find a chunk of time and get it done.

Meanwhile, I've ventured into the world of English paper piecing as I work on a Settlers of Catan quilt.  It's slowly coming along, and I believe I'm getting the hang of it, making some adjustments to my technique as I go.