Menu

My scary landlord is coming over

Alicia64

She just let me know that she'll be here on Thurs. a.m. to deal with the raccoon -- a wildlife expert is handling. She's just paying him.

I want to have her in for coffee so that she can see the inside looks fine, but I don't want her going upstairs and examine every room. That would feel weird.

We owned for ten years prior so I'm new to renting.

I'm cleaning and tidying and making the house as pretty as possible.

Any advice?

Alley

Why do you think she's going to inspect every room if she said she's coming over because of the raccoon? She's probably there to supervise the wildlife expert and to write him a check on the spot.

I'm a landlord and that is about all I would do. I probably would not even ask to come in and just wait in my car.

If you have simply invited her in for coffee she is not allowed to wander looking in rooms.  If she has given you a written notice stating she will be entering the premises on this date for this reason she can.  That said unless it is the annual inspection landlords don't head up stairs unless the main floor is givin reason for concern.  If the home is clean and maintained she will come inside, exchange pleasantries while the wildlife guy does his thing and leave.  She needs to be there so he can point out any raccoon caused damages that she will be responsible for repairing.  When we rented the landloard only ever went upstairs or to the basement during inspection but was there at other times (or an agent for the landlord was) but for things like replacing kitchen cabinets, fixing a leaky sink in the main floor bathroom etc.

Why do you call her 'scary'?  If you are actually scared of her, don't invite her in.  If you want to invite her in for coffee she should not go snooping any more then any other person you just invited in for coffee.  If I was your landlord (I have the units we rent) if I thought it looked fine from the door, I'd thank you and decline - because I am allergic to dairy and don't want coffee without non-diary creamer, and I wouldn't expect you to have that, so I'd rather just not go there.  Nothing to do with 'you' at all.  But - if you do invite her in, and she accepts, don't go talking about the 'squeaky door upstairs' if you are not fully prepared to demonstrate your complaint and take her upstairs, ya know?

I am a little perplexed at the posters who say she cannot wander in all the rooms??? If she has given notice that she is coming (she has), she is allowed to see any part of the property that she wants.

That said, most likely she just wants to deal with the animal guy. Go ahead and invite her to join you for coffee--it keeps everything friendly. Tidy up but don't stress out. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Why would you think she would want to roam around the house and inspect every room? :confused:

That doesn't make sense to me.

Because the landlord is the property owner and has that right. The property is her investment and she has the right to see that it is maintained.

That said, most times the landlord is there to take care of a repair or house business. They will deal with the pertinent business and move on.

Why would you think she would want to roam around the house and inspect every room? :confused:

That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not being clear: she wanted to sell the house, it never sold, we were thinking of buying but got cold feet, I finally asked her if we could rent. She was very reluctant to be a landlord. She wanted to sell. I encouraged and said we'd be wonderful. She finally caved. (Note to self: never talk anyone into renting again.)

We are wonderful: we pay on time. And the house is fine. We repair everything that's under $100 in the house. That was the deal. One time though she showed up after it had been raining straight for a week or more and didn't like the yard. The bushes needed trimming. My sons blinds were messed up and they needed to be fixed. She was mad. DH isn't a yard guy. He always has high hopes and then . . . nada.

Plus our backyard is 1/2 an acre full of trees and when those trees dropped leaves. . . omg. We just weren't prepared for the level of work involved. We come from a state that doesn't know what a leaf is in comparison. We didn't have good yard tools or anything. (Yes, I've hired a yard crew to come twice a month starting in March. I'm even paying for them to thin the crepe myrtle.)

Because she didn't really want to be a landlord she seems borderline angry with me when we email. I'm always polite and warm and giving (I don't know another word for it). I bend over backwards and frankly I'm sick of this.

I know my kids really want to stay, but when the lease is up I'd love to move. Recently she asked if we'd like to buy and I reiterated that DH doesn't want to buy and feel like we can't move if we need to. That did not make her happy. I asked her if she'd be interested in another two year lease and I've heard nothing except she's coming over on Thus.

I did not expect the relationship to be so contentious. It really helps a lot to hear from landlords what you'd do/not do. That helps a ton. Thank you.

Alley

Why do you call her 'scary'?  If you are actually scared of her, don't invite her in.  If you want to invite her in for coffee she should not go snooping any more then any other person you just invited in for coffee.  If I was your landlord (I have the units we rent) if I thought it looked fine from the door, I'd thank you and decline - because I am allergic to dairy and don't want coffee without non-diary creamer, and I wouldn't expect you to have that, so I'd rather just not go there.  Nothing to do with 'you' at all.  But - if you do invite her in, and she accepts, don't go talking about the 'squeaky door upstairs' if you are not fully prepared to demonstrate your complaint and take her upstairs, ya know?

Okay. Very good point. Thank you. And, yes, I have almond milk. :)

Alley

Because the landlord is the property owner and has that right. The property is her investment and she has the right to see that it is maintained.

That said, most times the landlord is there to take care of a repair or house business. They will deal with the pertinent business and move on.

Harriet -- A sincere question, I'm not arguing: if the landlord says she's coming for the raccoon. . . can she then ask to inspect the premises? Or does she need to first give notification that she wants to inspect?

I entirely hear what you're saying that she has a right to see that her investment is in good shape.

Alley

Harriet -- A sincere question, I'm not arguing: if the landlord says she's coming for the raccoon. . . can she then ask to inspect the premises? Or does she need to first give notification that she wants to inspect?

I entirely hear what you're saying that she has a right to see that her investment is in good shape.

Alley

I am currently living in my fourth rental, and I also rent a house to tenants for three years now.

My understanding is that as long as the landlord tells you she is coming 24 hours in advance, she has every right to see any part of the property that she wants. Legally she can see any part of the property in an emergency, and legally she can see any part of the property as long as she tells you she is coming 24 hours in advance. You cannot lawfully keep her from any part of the property as long as those conditions are met (not that you would--just trying to be clear).

The landlord does not have to define the terms of her visit. She just has to give you the advance notice.

She's not supposed to fuss about ordinary wear and tear and she cannot require you to do anything not spelled out in the lease.

Hope that helps.

Sorry she's a reluctant landlord--sounds like a difficult situation. :grouphug:

Alicia, I think whether or not she has to give notice may depend on your state, or even region. In my area, if we want to enter our tenant's home we need to give them at least 24 hour's notice. As in, THEY need to have 24 hour's notice, we can't just call and leave a message the day before. They have to confirm that they received the message.

If they give 24 hours notice for a specific problem, that is all they can inspect unless other parts of the house are related to the problem. A landlord can't just wander into your bedroom if they are there for a specific problem. It is not a rental inspection. Check your state laws for tenants. If she gives you notice she's there to inspect, then it is a different story, she can see your house. However, she can't change her tune to an inspection when she's there for a raccoon. 

Your are under no obligation to invite her in. She is there for the raccoon, which is outside. Did she say she was going to come into your house at the same time? She can only come in if, for example, it's discovered that the raccoon managed to do interior damage. 

My understanding is that as long as the landlord tells you she is coming 24 hours in advance, she has every right to see any part of the property that she wants. Legally she can see any part of the property in an emergency, and legally she can see any part of the property as long as she tells you she is coming 24 hours in advance. You cannot lawfully keep her from any part of the property as long as those conditions are met (not that you would--just trying to be clear).

I missed the "announcement" issue. Of course, a landlord can announce they are coming to inspect something. I was under the impression that Alicia expects her to come in just because there is a raccoon issue - presumably outside, not inside.

Alicia, it is not your fault that she has misgivings about renting. She agreed and is thereby obligated to be a landlord. She can tell you guys (as soon as you lease is up) that she is putting the place on the market and give you first right of refusal. The decision is hers. You need not feel guilty because she may be second guessing her own decision to rent it out.

Lucky you! My LL won't take care of my raccoon problem, little bugger is under the house and in the attic. Guy told me to call animal control and get a trap, I am not dealing with a raccoon! You want me to trap a mouse? fine but not a raccoon! According to dd7 there are 2, she saw them running across the yard and under the deck. I've only seen 1 at a time but it wouldn't surprise me if there are 2 with the amount of noise it makes.

Lucky you! My LL won't take care of my raccoon problem, little bugger is under the house and in the attic. Guy told me to call animal control and get a trap, I am not dealing with a raccoon! You want me to trap a mouse? fine but not a raccoon! According to dd7 there are 2, she saw them running across the yard and under the deck. I've only seen 1 at a time but it wouldn't surprise me if there are 2 with the amount of noise it makes.

Just fyi: we have a pest company (spiders, termites) that saw the raccoon and he let me know that his company also does "wildlife management."

They gave me an estimate of $400 to remove the raccoon --re-home him which made me feel better (I love animals) -- and I passed the estimate onto my landlord.

Other people know a lot better than I do about renters rights v. landlord rights, but you could probably pay to rehome the raccoon and then take it out of your rental payment. But I'd check w/ others here first.

My understanding is that racoons can do a lot of damage to a home so it's in his best interest to remove the racoons. I just hope he'll do it humanely.

Good luck,

Alley

LOL...no kidding.  I'm a total DIY gal.  I'd come up with a way to get rid of it. 

I'm bummed that he'll be leaving. We have snow here and his little tracks have been all over our yard -- even up on the roof walking right next to my son's window where his bed is. Wish we could stay up and see him, but we're too wiped for that.

$400 seemed pricey to me. I bet the landlady got a better deal.

Alley

Oh brother.  What kind of crud would that be?  Seriously?!

A landlord wants to randomly do whatever the hell she pleases?  What fresh hell is that?

A landlord giving 24 hours notice and viewing her own property is not license to do whatever the hell she pleases nor is it crud. The law states that the landlord has to give notice that she is coming. The landlord owns the property and has a legal right to see that it is maintained. She does not have a right to fuss about normal wear and tear or to require any terms over and above what is explicitly stated in the lease. Seems like a decent balance to me.

They're cute and smart critters, for sure. But I could tell you some very not-so-cute tales about how nasty they can be (anything that smart isn't really all that nice) and you might feel better about him leaving.

Of course the wildlife service's time and overhead is worth something, but they aren't hard to trap. Do it all the time. :) Coyotes, now, that's one thing I can't catch.

I didn't say she couldn't do it -- I have no clue as to the laws in her area, and I'm definitely no expert on rental leases -- I just wondered why Alicia seemed to be so worried about it. 

But what demonstrates "maintained" ? 

I've never had a landlord ask to randomly view an apartment/rental.  I'd think she were nuts if she even asked.

Honestly, I am perplexed by your hostility on this.

The landlord is the owner. That person has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into owning the property. They carry considerable liability. If a tenant damages the property, the landlord's ability to recoup the loss is limited. It is more than reasonable for a landlord to expect to see their own property. The tenant's protection in this is that the landlord must give 24 hours' notice and must allow for normal wear and tear.

I think we all know that "maintained" means basically undamaged and the terms of the lease are being met. It does not include normal wear and tear (a term that is common to many leases). A landlord has a right to know that there is not a meth lab on the property or untrained dogs peeing in the house. (Personal experience with the dogs--my grandmother's tenants installed an electronic boundary in a back room of her house and allowed the dogs to urinate and defecate in there. The damage to the floor and drywall was unbelievable.)

As for randomly viewing an apartment, your experience is not necessarily typical. My sister lived for many years in a building with annual scheduled inspections. I rented in college as well as four as an adult. I was an apartment building manager for a year. In a recent rental when we signed the lease the landlord gave us a printed copy of landlord/tenant rights for our state. The reality of renting is dealing with a landlord.

Honestly, I am perplexed by your hostility on this.

The landlord is the owner. That person has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into owning the property. They carry considerable liability. If a tenant damages the property, the landlord's ability to recoup the loss is limited. It is more than reasonable for a landlord to expect to see their own property. The tenant's protection in this is that the landlord must give 24 hours' notice and must allow for normal wear and tear.

I think we all know that "maintained" means basically undamaged and the terms of the lease are being met. It does not include normal wear and tear (a term that is common to many leases). A landlord has a right to know that there is not a meth lab on the property or untrained dogs peeing in the house. (Personal experience with the dogs--my grandmother's tenants installed an electronic boundary in a back room of her house and allowed the dogs to urinate and defecate in there. The damage to the floor and drywall was unbelievable.)

As for randomly viewing an apartment, your experience is not necessarily typical. My sister lived for many years in a building with annual scheduled inspections. I rented in college as well as four as an adult. I was an apartment building manager for a year. In a recent rental when we signed the lease the landlord gave us a printed copy of landlord/tenant rights for our state. The reality of renting is dealing with a landlord.

I think issue is with the perceived invasion of privacy. That is a right that's upheld in most areas in state or provincial legislation.

But there's the problem. This is a state-by-state, province-by-province issue and debating the matter as if there's some universal law our code is fruitless. I've never been a tenant or a landlord but if I were I think my first step would be to became extremely familiar with local legislation.

I get it, some people have been or are landlords and they've been screwed over.  I do not miss renting.  I have not had the best experiences with landlords.  I had one landlord just walk in while I was showering.  He said he knocked on the door and I didn't answer.  Well yeah duh...I was in the shower.  He had no right to do that.  I did not stay there long.  To be fair I have had some great landlords too.  Stuff like inspections remind me of the dorm inspections I had in college.  Like we were 3 or something.  Although I can see some positive to it.  Had some of my landlords done this they would have noticed they did nothing to upkeep the place.  Growing up I lived in the same rental for 25 years.  The landlord never fixed anything.  The place was draftier than a sieve.  The ceilings were crumbling.  The furnace didn't work half the time.  The plumbing didn't work half the time.  It was a hell hole of a place.  He never did anything ever to maintain it.  So then I hear this blah blah sob sob landlords spend SO MUCH MONEY to allow me to touch the hem of their garment.  Uh yeah...lotta landlords are just jerks.  That said, I wouldn't care for being a landlord.  I do get that it's not so great for landlords either.

Just because you have had some jerks as landlords does not mean that all are that way. It's unfair for you to paint all landlords with that broad a brush. They are people like any other. Some people are selfish or incompetent or both, and some are not. For every sob story about a nightmare landlord, there is a property owner out there who has been burned by nightmare tenants who trash the property and disappear.

The tenant has rights but so does the property owner. Those rights have to be balanced.

$400 to remove a raccoon? I'm in the wrong line of work. (I frequently remove raccoons, possums, skunks, etc. from my property)

Op, sorry you're dealing with some tension in your tenant/landlord relationship.

I'm just curious: I know the wildlife expert is doing it humanely. . . how does one remove a raccoon during the day? I supposed they would leave a Have A Heart trap and that I would alert them one morning when it had a raccoon in it.

But it sounds like he'll trap the raccoon and re-home all in one morning.

Do they put really stinky food in the trap? How long would you assume it would take from start to finish. (I'm trying to figure out when this landlady might show up.)

Alley

Landlord-tenant laws vary radically from place to place. Mostly these are municipal codes and in some states, state law. Any pronouncements made on this thread about what the landlord or tenant can or can not do with regards to notice and scope of entry may or may not hold for the place the OP lives.

Here the landlord has to give 48 hours written paper notice to enter without the express consent of the tenant. The notice must say why they are entering. Saying or even writing "I'll be there on Thursday for the raccoon" wouldn't meet the requirement to go upstairs uninvited unless the raccoon was somehow in there, rather than under, the house. But that is good for my county and my county only. No one who is not familiar with the laws in the area the OP lives can say for certain what rights and responsibilities either party has there.

I'm just curious: I know the wildlife expert is doing it humanely. . . how does one remove a raccoon during the day? I supposed they would leave a Have A Heart trap and that I would alert them one morning when it had a raccoon in it.

But it sounds like he'll trap the raccoon and re-home all in one morning.

Do they put really stinky food in the trap? How long would you assume it would take from start to finish. (I'm trying to figure out when this landlady might show up.)

Alley

I could be wrong, but I don't think the raccoon can be caught in one morning. When we were living in a sort of rental, we had a raccoon problem, and the guy had to come out every day for a least a week. He set the trap one morning/afternoon, the beast was caught over night, he'd come out and get it to re-home it (except for the rabid one he caught, which was sent off to the state for testing or whatever), and leave another trap for the next day. Lather, rinse, repeat. I can't remember how many he caught...at least six, I think. But the animals only came out at night, so that's when they found the traps and got caught. 

I don't remember what the bait was...I want to say peanut butter or tuna? Maybe cat food?

I'm a renter and we also rent out our house in another state. I know that (although state laws vary) most likely legally you probably don't have to let her in to look in the house, I don't think that it would help your situation at all to be weird about it. Just have things generally picked up and don't worry about it. Most likely she won't even come in.

I agree with Lucy (Katie) that laws vary widely.  When I was a landlord, we had an agreement that once a month we would pick up the rent in person.  We never went beyond the living room where we would exchange a few pleasantries and would be handed the check.  That tiny egress into the house allowed us to see that there were no obvious pets in our no-pet rental (we had places that reeked after dogs had been allowed to pee and poop at will in the house) and that at least the living room had not been trashed.  It allowed our renters easy access to us to tell us of a leaky faucet or other repairs that needed to be done.  The only time I ever went beyond the living room was when the renters told us of problems (like that leaky faucet) that we needed to take care of for them or of a change they made to the house without permission.  The latter example was when a renter told me in an off-hand way, "Oh, we changed the carpet in the bedrooms.  Here's our bill, will you take it off of next month's rent?"  We were pretty mad about that one - not because we didn't like the new carpet but because they didn't have the right to do that or to demand repayment by us.  And you can bet I asked to see that new carpet right away because for all I knew they could have damaged the floor in the process.  

The latter example was when a renter told me in an off-hand way, "Oh, we changed the carpet in the bedrooms.  Here's our bill, will you take it off of next month's rent?"  We were pretty mad about that one - not because we didn't like the new carpet but because they didn't have the right to do that or to demand repayment by us.  And you can bet I asked to see that new carpet right away because for all I knew they could have damaged the floor in the process.  

I'm not the most knowledgeable renter on the planet, but that's not cool at all. I would never do that to a landlord.

On the landlord's side I will tell you that we looked at a rental house in a gorgeous neighborhood where most of the homes were way out of our price range.

Anyway, the former renters were still in . . and omg. . . I'd never seen hoarders up close and personal before. These people were not pack rats or clutter bugs -- these people were full-on hoarders.

If I were the owners I would kick them out, sell the house (after fumigating) and never be a landlord ever, ever again. So, yeah, landlords have reasons to be really scared. They know that they just don't know what they're getting. People have a great ability to hide the truth from landlords.

We're not Martha Stewarts by any means, but the house is more than fine. It's actually tidy. DH is traveling which cuts down on his clutter which can be significant. (I also don't want to tell DH because he's really getting annoyed by the landlord situation and is at the point where he doesn't want us doing anything at all besides the basics.)

Alley

Alicia, I know you said your landlord is scary, but at least she's paying to have the raccoon removed and relocated, instead of choosing a cheaper-but-less-humane solution.

That is one plus. She's an animal lover. Honestly if I thought she'd hurt the raccoon, I'd have handled it somehow myself.

Alley

That is one plus. She's an animal lover. Honestly if I thought she'd hurt the raccoon, I'd have handled it somehow myself.

Alley

Maybe you can spend most of the time talking about the raccoon with her. If she finds out that you love animals, too, it could be an effective way to get on her good side.

Maybe you can spend most of the time talking about the raccoon with her. If she finds out that you love animals, too, it could be an effective way to get on her good side.

Believe me, I've tried this approach. We have dogs/animals in common. Twins in common etc. Nothing seems to get her feeling more comfortable with me.

That's why I say "scary" because I can't seem to connect at all. And I'm trying! Whether we stay in this house or not, life is too short to be so contentious. At least that's what I think.

Alley

Believe me, I've tried this approach. We have dogs/animals in common. Twins in common etc. Nothing seems to get her feeling more comfortable with me.

That's why I say "scary" because I can't seem to connect at all. And I'm trying! Whether we stay in this house or not, life is too short to be so contentious. At least that's what I think.

Alley

I have known people like that, and they are a real nuisance to deal with. It's like they enjoy trying to make you feel uncomfortable or something. I think there are certain people who simply take a dislike to someone, and no matter how nice that person is to them, they will never change their minds.

Is she any nicer to your dh? If so, maybe he could be there when she arrives, and you could be... well... just about anyplace else! 

Is she any nicer to your dh? If so, maybe he could be there when she arrives, and you could be... well... just about anyplace else! 

She's even more prickly with DH. Which is why he's fed up. He's a very friendly, kind person with a tinge of Aspergers. People either love him or not. I've noticed through the years it's either one or the other.

She's the other.

I thought I'd be the one who would smooth things down with her, but no luck. This situation is giving me a reason to declutter and tidy up!

Thanks for caring -- I really appreciate it. Are you a cat person too? My orange darling is sitting right next to me. I never can decide if I'm a dog person or a cat person. Really, I think I'm an animal person.

Alley

She's even more prickly with DH. Which is why he's fed up. He's a very friendly, kind person with a tinge of Aspergers. People either love him or not. I've noticed through the years it's either one or the other.

She's the other.

I thought I'd be the one who would smooth things down with her, but no luck. This situation is giving me a reason to declutter and tidy up!

Thanks for caring -- I really appreciate it. Are you a cat person too? My orange darling is sitting right next to me. I never can decide if I'm a dog person or a cat person. Really, I think I'm an animal person.

Alley

I'm an animal person, too. Dogs, cats, and pretty much everything else. I'm the idiot who makes friends with wild animals. (My dh thinks I'm a complete lunatic!)

It sounds like the only way to deal with that landlady is to see her as little as is humanly possible, and to try to keep her occupied with the raccoon guy when she comes over. 

Good luck, Alley!  :grouphug:

We have a lease and our landlord gave us notice they are selling and we have to get out. We have 60 days. So she doesn't have to wait to sell.

I always gladly showed the owners issues when they came to the house b/c they need to know the issues. I never did a full tour, only what they needed to see.

Wow, Tess, that's awful -- 60 days doesn't give you much time to find a new home!! :grouphug:

We have a lease and our landlord gave us notice they are selling and we have to get out. We have 60 days. So she doesn't have to wait to sell.

I always gladly showed the owners issues when they came to the house b/c they need to know the issues. I never did a full tour, only what they needed to see.

How can she make you leave in 60 days if you have a lease? Or are you month to month? I've been in the same rental for 6 years, 2 years in the one before this and 3 years in the one before that. We had a house we rehabbed for the owners with the promise of a rent-to-own situation sold out from under us less than a month after we finally moved in. The only thing in our favor was that we had a 1 year lease, so we didn't have to move. So sorry you have to look for a new home.