Menu

What to do with Pinto Beans?

Just Kate

Sometimes I'll put a bag of dried pinto beans, enough water to cover, a whole onion cut into fourths, and a jar of salsa in the slow cooker.  I let it cook all day, and then mash it all up in the end (with a potato masher).  Homemade refried beans!  They can be served with rice or in a burrito.

Refried beans sound wonderful! Just thinking here...we want to have rice and beans tonight. How would I go about making refried beans with the leftover beans from tonight?

Smash them up with a spoon or use a mixer to get the consistency you want. I throw them in a big pot and fry them with bacon grease that I have saved.

I lightly fry them in a skillet with bacon grease or lard, or coconut oil if I don't have the other options, then add a little water to get the right consistency and mash with a big spoon. I like them a little chunky though. When I'm making them smooth for a recipe I use the food processor instead of hand mashing.

Beans and cornbread!!!!

This is how we do it. Its dh's concoction, at first, I thought, yuck. And when my mom visited, she just looked at it. Until she ate it. Its stinkin' awesome!!

Put cornbread in bottom of bowl, butter it.

Then put pinto beans on top (After soaking dry beans overnight, discard old water, cover w/new water, cook several hours w/salt and garlic, leave it soupy so you can really soak the cornbread and have more in the bowl)

Then put cottage cheese on.

Then chopped onions and chopped tomatoes.

Then pour a little vinegar on top.

We use the leftover beans for layer dip, or just put in bowl with cheese and salsa on top. And maybe sour cream.

I use leftover beans to make bean and cheese burritos.  They make a great breakfast.  I mash the beans, add cheese and roll up in a flour tortilla.  I freeze them and then heat up for easy breakfasts.  Like a previous poster I put sausage links w/beans.   A friend of mine used to cut up velveeta and add it to leftover beans and add a can of rotel, too.  It was pretty good--very cheesy!

What I grew up eating at least five nights a week:

Roast

Potatoes

Pinto beans

Cornbread

I always crumble up my cornbread and put the beans, with plenty of bean juice, over my cornbread. That's the only way to eat pintos right. ;)

(Jk, I love them refried, in soups, chili, with rice... I love pinto beans.)