Menu

BCP or IUD - which is "better" for the uninitiated?

Ripley

I've never taken or been on hormonal birth control, as it's against my religious beliefs to use them for conception purposes.  My hematologist wants me on one or the other to control my monthly bleeding. I'm severely and chronically anemic, and am on regular IV iron infusions with an occasional transfusion.

The other option is an ablation, but we've agreed to try hormonal birth control first. The goal is to ease or eliminate my bleeding (for a time) to hopefully bring my hemoglobin and ferritin levels up for longer than the few weeks between my period and my infusions.

I don't care about ease or convenience, I'm more concerned with which is less ... bad ... in terms of overall health and exposure or whatever. I don't even like taking OTC stuff, I just really prefer to do as little as possible - which is good since I'm rarely sick or suffering. For those reasons, I don't know what the latest birth control research shows; and The Internets are overwhelming to weed through on this issue.

Which is least likely to mess my stuff up - if either is going to do that? LOL I may or may not be done having kids, I'm healthy and in my 30s, and my primary concern is the long-term effect of being on either.

If you can help, I appreciate your time. My head is spinning from the millions of confusing google hits.

Well, birth control pills are more easily stopped if you turn out not to tolerate them well. I personally hated the Mirena IUD (constant spotting the whole 18 months I had it among other issues) and I had similar negative side effects when I tried birth control pills a couple of years later. The hormonal dose of Mirena I think is lower, but I guess I'm just really sensitive to artificial hormones. I loved the Paragard IUD, but that wouldn't help you with this.

I have no experience with IUD's but my first thought is that BCP is much easier to start and stop since there is no procedure required for it. I had no problems with BCP itself but I was more susceptible to yeast infections while on it. As in, I got one at least once a year but since stopping (ages ago) I haven't had any.

I've not heard of anyone I know personally ceasing menstruation with an IUD- in fact, it's been quite the opposite for a few of them.

BCP's would work,  but you have to remember to take them every day.

I am on depo-provera- a shot that I get every 3 months.  I've not had a period in the four years that I've been on it.  I've had no additional side effects compared to when I would take the pill.

Agreeing with Laura and Cammie that I think a Mirena is a great option. I'm a year into my second and have never had one regret about it.  My periods haven't entirely disappeared, but they are so much lighter than they were on BCP. And I like the lower dose of hormones.  It is a little more of a chore to insert and take out (it sounds like you wouldn't necessarily want it in for the entire five years) than just starting and stopping BCP, but I don't think it was a big deal.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

My GYN and Hematologist both made the IUD seem like a no-brainer, and gave me the impression that it would certainly stop my periods. I only know one person IRL who has one, and hers stopped after the first few months of spotting. I'm glad to go into more eyes open, knowing I may not stop at all ... or may just experience intermittent spotting ... that information was particularly helpful.

I found out the IUD is covered 100% by my insurance, but the pill is not (100%). That's a factor.

I also am nervous about eliminating my period completely. It seems ... unnatural? worrisome? ... so I need to wrap my head around a new way of thinking. The pill might be a good short-term solution while I do that. My GYN and PCP each gave me a sample pack so I have a few months of those to figure it out.

Usually I love my uterus; lately, not so much. :crying:

I can totally sympathize with op's thinking. I've always felt that suppressing or stopping my period just felt so strange and unnatural. I have had two of the copper IUD's in the past. They aren't hormonal. A lot of women do experience heavier bleeding with them, though. I personally haven't, but that could be a problem for you. If it's about reducing bleeding, I would say the Mirena probably is the better bet, even though it is hard to come to terms with. I've known a lot of people who had issues with BCP side effects, so if the Mirena delivers a lower dose of hormones...

As for insertion and removal, yes, they're more difficult than just starting or stopping a pill, but they're still not THAT big of a deal. Just a quick office procedure.

My sister had an IUD and while it did stop her period eventually, the first couple of months she actually bled much more heavily.  As others have said it's more invasive as it needs to be inserted and taken out by a doctor.  You also need to check and make sure that it's there once a month -  but compared to taking a pill daily that doesn't seem so bad. 

I got a IUD about 8 months ago, had a 2 week long period after that, and haven't spotted or had a period since.  It is amazing.  That said, I would try BC pills first in your case for the same reason as the previous posters said.  It is less invasive and easier to stop.  The IUD gives you less hormones (or none depending on which you choose) but is harder to have removed.  I hated the pills and had side effects on them but have had no problem on the IUD.

I would choose iud over bcp....the hormones are not systemic with the iud, as compared to bcp.

Also, the studies are more reassuring as to the conception issue. They did daily blood tests on women with the copper iud; there were no instances of a woman conceiving and then the pregnancy terminating because of the iud.

I am willing to share my adventures in hemorrhaging stories via pm, but fwiw, the very extensive care team I worked worth across several departments were all pro-iud as compared to bcp. In the end, I had all hormonal treatment (including iud) taken off the table and went the interventional radiology route.