Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW3

Robin M

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a fun book. I saw where some reviewers said they thought Jason Bateman is a perfect choice and that they heard his voice when reading. Based on what I read, I think you're on to something with the Arrested Development comparison. My library has it so I put it on hold. I'm number 82 in the queue. I suspect the upcoming movie has something to do with the long waiting list.

Yeah, it's like I could imagine Jason Bateman in the various scenes of the book, seeing how it would be on the big screen as I read. Same with Tina Fey. I think this book will translate quite well into a movie, esp. starring those two.

Interesting that your library has a wait. Mine didn't but maybe the movie hasn't gotten much press around here yet. I suspect that closer to the time of the movie release, the library waitlist will increase.

I'm hoping to finish Snow Falling on Cedars today. I like the bones of the story. I like a lot of the writing. I dislike a lot of the writing, too, lol. There was a war scene that I completely flipped through, I hope it wasn't too crucial to the story, the language was horrid. I feel a bit too intimate with some of the characters in some of the scenes, too. :/ Still wanting to finish it, though.

I put in a purchase suggestion to my library some time ago after I heard mention of the book.  The cataloging librarian recently asked me to take it home to read it and determine if the placement of the clippings, tickets, etc., is important.  If it is and I'm guessing such is the case (could you ask you son, Jenn?), she's not quite sure what to do with the book.  I clearly cause my librarians all manner of headaches!

Regards,

Kareni

I've just sent a text to my son about those loose bits of paper and will let you know his reply.   He was thinking he had already misplaced one of them, but wasn't sure.  I had suggested making a copy of them with page numbers noted by each clip.  I'm excited to hear what you think of the book.  I also sent a copy to my brother-in-law for Christmas and he really liked it, too.  Called it a three-ring circus of a book.

My hesitation about writing in books is that I then feel funny if I lend the book to someone. I feel weird about someone reading my thoughts.

Exactly!  But I have to confess another of my issues is feeling the need to be profound and pithy in case someone judges me by my scribblings.

I love reading this thread, but you all are too fast for me. I can't keep up! 

Summary: 

*Winter's Tale gets kind of unwieldy in the 3rd act. The romantic angle is not my favorite. If you do power through it does pick back up in the 4th act as the book suddenly speeds into the present. 

*Loving Shurkiyya's quoted poetry. I'm reading Jane Hirschfield right now and sometimes I just want to share with you all too. 

*Love Wallace Stegner. I admit The Angle of Repose had a bigger affect on me, but Crossing to Safety is pretty amazing. 

I got all moody over the weekend so I dumped all my current books (other than the poetry) temporarily. Luckily Gail Carriger's Curtsies & Conspiracies (#2 in the Finishing School series) came in so I'm gulping that down. I resumed The Master Butcher's Singing Club (Louise Erdrich) too. I just needed a strong narrative that wasn't too much of a downer. 

Floridamom, can you tell me what the title of the book is that you read about alternative medicine? That was on my now vanished library list.

Sure. It's Do You Believe in Magic? The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine. I linked to the Kindle version which is only $1.99. Bummer. I paid $12.74. I'm not sorry, but if I waited it I could have saved some money.

Do any of you write in the margins of your books?  I've never had the courage, except for note taking in college days, but through my own reading and the discussion of books on this thread I'm more understanding of the impulse and benefit of doing so.  I bring this up because of 2 delightful columns about marginalia and because of a book I got my son for Christmas.  First the 2 columns.

I don't, for a number of reasons.

1. I don't usually reread books, so I'm not likely to ever see my notes. The exceptions are classics that I read in high school or college and want to reread to see if my opinion has changed. In those cases I don't have the book and will usually borrow it from the library. Which leads me to...

2. Many, if not most of my books, come from the library, so of course I won't be writing in them. I have made highlights in my ebooks, but I don't think I've ever gone back to check any that I've made.

3. I"m a firm believer that books are meant to be read, not put on a shelf and admired. If I know I won't reread a book, or that anyone in my family will read/reread it, I'll either give it away or sell it. In both cases, I don't want to give or sell books that have writing in them.

Even in college when others where highlighting or writing in their books I didn't. This was back when a textbook was used repeatedly, so you could buy used then sell it at the end of the course. I found it distracting when I had a used textbook that was marked up - maybe what was important to one professor was not important to mine. For that reason, and because I never found it really helpful, I didn't even mark in my college textbooks. 

I will occasionally make notes in a cookbook, but that's about as far as I go in terms of writing in books.

I have now started Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay, both for my book club & because it fits the category of 'winter' reading.

7864535.jpg

Nooooo! What are you doing posting about another winter book? I thought I was firm in my resolve to end this by January 31st. Dare I ask how it is coming along?

ETA: I see you've already answered the question. Maybe I will slide it over to next winter's list which is already taking shape.

I don't, for a number of reasons.

1. I don't usually reread books, so I'm not likely to ever see my notes. The exceptions are classics that I read in high school or college and want to reread to see if my opinion has changed. In those cases I don't have the book and will usually borrow it from the library. Which leads me to...

2. Many, if not most of my books, come from the library, so of course I won't be writing in them. I have made highlights in my ebooks, but I don't think I've ever gone back to check any that I've made.

3. I"m a firm believer that books are meant to be read, not put on a shelf and admired. If I know I won't reread a book, or that anyone in my family will read/reread it, I'll either give it away or sell it. In both cases, I don't want to give or sell books that have writing in them.

Even in college when others where highlighting or writing in their books I didn't. This was back when a textbook was used repeatedly, so you could buy used then sell it at the end of the course. I found it distracting when I had a used textbook that was marked up - maybe what was important to one professor was not important to mine. For that reason, and because I never found it really helpful, I didn't even mark in my college textbooks. 

I will occasionally make notes in a cookbook, but that's about as far as I go in terms of writing in books.

:iagree:  In addition to the visual reasons why I don't tend to write in books, I'd say all these reasons also apply to me.

Even if I did write notes & later re-read the book, I would probably be bored with reading my own notes later (& irritated at how much it 'messed up' the page). :lol:  I mean, I don't like reading too much from one author anyway, so I'd have to include myself in that description (as the 'author' of the marginalia) too. Now, if I were a really talented artist & could do some cool drawings, diagrams, etc... in the margins, I might give myself a pass. ;)

Nooooo! What are you doing posting about another winter book? I thought I was firm in my resolve to end this by January 31st. Dare I ask how it is coming along?

ETA: I see you've already answered the question. Maybe I will slide it over to next winter's list which is already taking shape.

LOL... If I'd just quit adding ideas to my TBR list, I'm sure I could accomplish all manner of things!!

I'm interested in this book too, so interested to see what Stacia and Phoenix think.... Careful with the spoilers, unless it's really just that bad and you consider it your civic duty to warn us away! ;)

In addition to all the reasons for not writing in books that have been discussed, I tried highlighting books in college. I always found that my highlighted book was never "right" for studying and actually a huge distraction.

I'm hoping to finish Snow Falling on Cedars today. I like the bones of the story. I like a lot of the writing. I dislike a lot of the writing, too, lol. There was a war scene that I completely flipped through, I hope it wasn't too crucial to the story, the language was horrid. I feel a bit too intimate with some of the characters in some of the scenes, too. :/ Still wanting to finish it, though.

This is exactly how I felt. I hopped and skipped over the war story too.

Thanks Floridamom, I'm hoping to gain some quick and sound comebacks to people who insist I try alternative medicine/therapy for curing something that is not (yet) curable. In the past two months I've had a woman tell me that if I just fasted and cleansed correctly then my Hashimoto's and celiac diseases would be cured. Then I had a woman tell me I should see her naturopathic doctor because this doctor claims she can cure celiac with Asian herbs. Um, no thanks.

On Russian Winter, I shouldn't have said anything yet. No, there's nothing earth shattering good or bad, but I did have an opinion. I was just excited that someone was reading a book I had already read, lol.

Another plus for the kindle PW--you can highlight and add notes without it detracting from the page you're reading.

I do that and then never look at them again. I've made highlights and notes for things I want to look up, then I forget to look them up. I guess notes in books I read for pleasure just aren't my thing.

I saw this on Facebook and thought you all would enjoy it.

"What an astonishing thing a book is. It's a flat object made from a tree .............. edited to copyrighted(?) quote....... A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic."  (Carl Sagan, "The Persistence of Memory" Episode 11 of Cosmos: A Personal Voyage)

Dd13 and I are also reading and listening to Twelfth Night, in anticipation of seeing the play later this month.

Dd13 and I went to see Twelfth Night at our local Shakespeare Company in December.  It was one I hadn't read, and we didn't get around to it before we went.  It was the rowdiest play we have seen yet!!  :eek: And that was the Educational Matinee LOL!  We've seen quite a few productions over the last couple years but this one totally blew the others away.  I was laughing so hard, though.  Dd leaned over to me during the production and said, "Is this PG-13?"   :lol:  Um, yes! She is obviously catching more and more of the innuendo now.

I finished reading Radiance of Tomorrow, a novel by Ishmael Beah who achieved fame for his memoir, A Long Way Gone.  Beah was a child soldier in Sierra Leone and now serves as a UNICEF Ambassador and Advocate for Children Affected by War.

There is a kernel of beauty in the heart of Radiance of Tomorrow--even if it is not the best plotted novel or one with thoroughly developed characters.  Some of the dialogue is poetic.  There are memorable characters whom I would like to revisit in their fictional futures.  As I finished reading the book, I wondered if the author should have written a collection of connected short stories instead of a novel.  But I shall forgive Mr. Beah.  He has a powerful message on how people must see beyond the past and move into the future, i.e. the Radiance of Tomorrow.

Hey--I can return my one weeker to the library before it is due! 

Kareni -- about those loose bits in the book "S."

My ds reported back that the loose bits are indeed important, that you'd lose big plot points without them.  

So keep them safe and tucked in the correct pages!!  

And report back when you've finished the book  :001_smile:

Many thanks to you and your son, Jenn.  And, yes, I'll report back!

Regards,

Kareni

I carried my kindle everywhere today and managed to finish "The Dead and Their Vaulted Arches" by Alan Bradley. It was not the book I anticipated at all but I loved it. It was a series of surprises .....looking forward to #7 whenever that happens.

I carried my kindle everywhere today and managed to finish "The Dead and Their Vaulted Arches" by Alan Bradley. It was not the book I anticipated at all but I loved it. It was a series of surprises .....looking forward to #7 whenever that happens.

Ohhh. Is there going to be a #7??? I was under the impression that #6 was to be the last one. I'm on the waitlist for the one you just read today. Ds & I can't wait to read it. (And, yes, this is one of the *very* few series sets for which I've read all the books & am actually looking forward to the next one.)

Do any of you write in the margins of your books?  I've never had the courage, except for note taking in college days, but through my own reading and the discussion of books on this thread I'm more understanding of the impulse and benefit of doing so.  I bring this up because of 2 delightful columns about marginalia and because of a book I got my son for Christmas.  First the 2 columns.

Sam Anderson at The Millions just posted this very funny column about the comments he and a friend have written in the margins of Dan Brown's Inferno.  Take the time to click on the link -- even if you loved the book you'll be amused!   "Dumbest Thing Ever".   He shared more thoughtful marginalia in an earlier column in the same magazine, "A Year in Marginalia".

Have you all heard of the book with the simple title S., yes, just the letter S?  It is by JJ Abrams of tv's Lost and the recent Star Trek reboot, and by Doug Dorst.  It is very "meta" as my son would say, a story within a story, told through the marginalia of 2 people make in an adventure book which is bound like an early 60s library book, complete with call number and due date stamps.  There are slips of paper in the book -- theater tickets and newspaper clippings, and the comments by the 2 people span several years.  I gave it to my ds for Christmas and he loved it, taking notes and really studying each chapter to keep track of all the elements and to figure out the mystery.  But did he leave it for me to enjoy when he left to return to campus?  Oh no.  He wants to share it with his friends -- I'm left to buy another copy for myself!

I don't write in the margins for the same reason as Stacia said. Too visual a person and it's distracting.  I do find it fascinating when I find old books with notes here and there, of the readers thoughts.  I just can't bring myself to do it in my own fiction books.  Non fiction however, they are underlined and highlighted all over the place. 

I have now started Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay, both for my book club & because it fits the category of 'winter' reading.

7864535.jpg

I have this one sitting on my shelves and look forward to reading it....so don't anyone say anything bad about it.  :)

In addition to all the reasons for not writing in books that have been discussed, I tried highlighting books in college. I always found that my highlighted book was never "right" for studying and actually a huge distraction.

I know. I got back and read books I've highlighted and it has me wondering why I did and what was I thinking at the time. 

I'm shelving Kiss Me, Kill Me because either I'm just not in the mood for it or the writing and/or characters are getting on my nerves.  Not quite ready to dive into Tale of Genji, so going with an old favorite, plus its a winter read - James Rollins Ice Hunt:

"Carved into a moving island of ice twice the size of the United States, Ice Station Grendel has been abandoned for more than seventy years. The twisted brainchild of the finest minds of the former Soviet Union, it was designed to be inaccessible and virtually invisible. But an American undersea research vessel has inadvertently pulled too close--and something has been sighted moving inside the allegedly deserted facility, something whose survival defies every natural law. And now, as scientists, soldiers, intelligence operatives, and unsuspecting civilians are drawn into Grendel's lethal vortex, the most extreme measures possible will be undertaken to protect its dark mysteries--because the terrible truths locked behind submerged walls of ice and steel could end human life on Earth."

Speaking of winter reads, check out flavorwire's Snow Reads are the New Beach Read: 26 books to get you through Winter.   Two of which I have on my shelves - The Invisible Bridge and Hild.

Speaking of winter reads, check out flavorwire's Snow Reads are the New Beach Read: 26 books to get you through Winter.   Two of which I have on my shelves - The Invisible Bridge and Hild.

Fun list. I've read a couple on there (The Secret History; East of Eden), gave up on another two (Tinkers; Middlemarch), & have plenty of others on my radar already... (esp. the Nick Harkaway one). :hurray:

... I meant to mention that This Is Where I Leave You has plenty of references to 80s songs & movies. :thumbup: Figured that is info you (& any other Gen Xers) need to know. :lol:

Sigh. I was trying to ignore that one. And now you've made that impossible.

Thanks a lot. :D :lol:

Absolutely.  It drives my husband crazy, but I write in books, underline, annotate on Kindle, fold pages and copy to copybook (or blog post LOL).  I started The Narnian by Alan Jacobs tonight at my son's basketball practice ... I underlined and was thrilled to find underlinings and other marks from the previous owner of my copy of the book.  I love to see on Kindle what others have underlined. 

When I first read Pride and Prejudice a number of years ago, my copy was used and had underlinings and notes in it.  I find reading a more community activity that way ... conversation between me and the author and any previous readers.  I loved your links, JennW! 

I finished Out of the Silent Planet by Lewis this evening.  Loved it ... and I don't usually care for SF.  Or maybe I do seeing how I liked Ender's Game in October.  Don't tell my brother.

Fun etsy literary stuff (just because I was poking around for fun...):

I especially love the cuff bracelets:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JezebelCharms?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Book-lover miniskirt:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/160182469/book-lovers-mini-skirt-library-book?ref=sr_gallery_26&ga_search_query=literary&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all

Alice in Wonderland tea pot & mugs:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/leftofrose?section_id=12732267&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1

Really lovely literary art prints, notecards, etc... (obviously for paper fiends like me):

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ObviousState?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Book characters decorative pillow:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/157687397/vintage-illustration-book-characters?ref=sr_gallery_35&ga_search_query=literary&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=5&ga_search_type=all

Cute literary charm bracelets (even one for library fans):

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ALikelyStory

mlbuchina, I meant to mention that This Is Where I Leave You has plenty of references to 80s songs & movies.  :thumbup:  Figured that is info you (& any other Gen Xers) need to know. :lol:

Well, now there is no way I can't read it now.   :lol:

I don't generally write in my books.  I don't break spines, either.  I have books I've had for years, that I've read multiple times, that look like I just bought them.  I'm weird like that.  The only exception is my Bible.  I buy a Bible with a lot of white space in the margins specifically for note taking.  Thankfully, I don't buy new ones often, as I will sit and transcribe all my notes over to the new one.  I do love my Kindle for underlining, though.  I don't use the note function, but I underline a lot.  I like to see what other's have underlined, and wonder what was going through their minds that made them decide that particular line needed to be highlighted.

Speaking of underlining, I'm enjoying 360 Degrees Longitude so much, I wish I had my own copy so I could underline and take notes in it!

:crying:  Sometimes I really hate computers. Updated Firefox and also installed Chrome because Google was giving me fits about doing a payment for renewing 52 Books in 52 Weeks blog and I had to upgrade to their new admin system. Ended up with none of it working and everything crashing :banghead:. After a couple hours of deleting a bunch of crap equal to virus programs,   I have now installed a prior version of firefox and it is happy.  I don't even want to attempt to install Chrome.  Plus, I have lost all my bookmarks   :cursing:   Every single one. :svengo:

But hey!  I found some cute Iphone Cases:.

Negin, I love this poster art!  I make small hand sewn notebooks and will have to use this for a cover.  Thank you!

Jane, I would love to see pictures of your notebooks. Do you sell them? 

I love, love, love a good soft serve! Alas, none to be found here. It's one of the first things we get whenever we travel. How can a country not have soft serve, a library, or any good bookstores? Oh, I forgot, no magazines either. Sorry, had to vent :001_rolleyes:. That soft serve looks really good at the moment. :)

I rate books on whether I like them or not.  I don't compare it to others, just a basic didn't like, liked it, really liked, couldn't put it down system.

Me too. :)

Has anyone actually *enjoyed* Salman Rushdie's works? 

Rosie, I've been wondering the same thing. I really liked Joseph Anton: A Memoir and am wondering what, if any, of his books, I might be interested in. 

Yes.  Very much, actually.  I'd recommend starting with Midnight's Children.

Thanks, Pam. :)

Negin,  I read Joseph Anton and I liked it as well.  I was  amazed, though, that a man who is so brilliant and articulate could be so dumb when it came to women.  :laugh:

My thoughts exactly. He's made some very dumb choices. Intelligence and common sense are often two completely different things. Reminds me a bit of the Hollande/France scandal, there's some elements of karma/what goes around, comes around involved in all that also. The whole thing is a disaster and giant mess. 

I liked this and then thought I hope she doesn't think I like the fact that her computer is driving her crazy! It is a sympathy like. Also an I do appreciate the time you spend on 52 books like. :grouphug:

:crying: Sometimes I really hate computers. Updated Firefox and also installed Chrome because Google was giving me fits about doing a payment for renewing 52 Books in 52 Weeks blog and I had to upgrade to their new admin system. Ended up with none of it working and everything crashing :banghead:. After a couple hours of deleting a bunch of crap equal to virus programs, I have now installed a prior version of firefox and it is happy. I don't even want to attempt to install Chrome. Plus, I have lost all my bookmarks :cursing: Every single one. :svengo:

Stacia -- It never even crossed my mind that Flavia would not continue. No spoilers but the end certainly prepares the reader for a new set Flavia adventures with a bit of what I consider to be a cliffhanger. I hope number 6 isn't it. I really was looking forward to what happens to Flavia next.

I have to hand my kindle over to my germy dd today so she can read it. Yucky cold which needs to go away from this house completely. Everyone has had a slightly different version which always worries me in terms of can we catch it again? Probably. Anyway I should have her opinion on the conclusion soon.

Jane, I would love to see pictures of your notebooks. Do you sell them? 

No.  Every once in a while I think I should open an Etsy shop but it might suck the joy out of making things.  I would love to send you one though if you PM me with your address.  Stacia actually got me started on the notebooks when she posted a Richard Scarry illustration that I found to be irresistible. 

About books:

I finished le Carre's novel The Mission Song which thoroughly depressed me.  Le Carre, while best known as the master of Cold War espionage, turns his pen to Africa, the volatile Congo in particular, which has minerals the West wants, leaders willing to sell out, and neighbors with a long memory of disputes.  Throw in the British public school boys who think they know better than anyone else how to run a country and there you go. 

My plan now is to turn my attention to two books in the library stack.  Toward the end of the year, Stacia linked a list of food oriented novels.  I picked up John Lanchester's The Debt to Pleasure from the list.

One of my 5/5/5 challenges last year was Sustainability, a challenge not completed due to the disappointment I felt with books on the topic.  One that I liked though was Cradle to Cradle by the design team of William McDonough and Michael Braungart.  I have their second book, The Upcycle.  These guys are bold thinkers who keep both a design aesthetic and environmental vision at their core.  The book opens with three quotes, the first from Hildegard of Bingen:

Glance at the sun.

See the moon and the stars.

Gaze at the beauty of earth's greenings.

Now,

Think.

It seems appropriate to mention this given the 12th century vibe around here this week. Hildegard is followed by quotes from two physicists (Einstein and Gell-Mann).  What is not to love about these guys?

:crying:  Sometimes I really hate computers. Updated Firefox and also installed Chrome because Google was giving me fits about doing a payment for renewing 52 Books in 52 Weeks blog and I had to upgrade to their new admin system. Ended up with none of it working and everything crashing :banghead:. After a couple hours of deleting a bunch of crap equal to virus programs,   I have now installed a prior version of firefox and it is happy.  I don't even want to attempt to install Chrome.  Plus, I have lost all my bookmarks   :cursing:   Every single one. :svengo:

But hey!  I found some cute Iphone Cases:.

I'm sorry about the computer issues. It can be so frustrating! Love the case. Phone cases are like purses to me - I can never have enough and am always on the hunt for the perfect one. When I switched from iPhone to an Android, it gave me an excuse to go phone case shopping. ;)

I love, love, love a good soft serve! Alas, none to be found here. 

I love chocolate soft serve, which isn't easy to find. Our DQ has it, but for some reason the chocolate side is always broken.

I have to hand my kindle over to my germy dd today so she can read it. 

That's one reason I ds a Kindle. Well, not because he was germy. :) He kept wanting to borrow mine. I didn't mind, except we both like to read before bed. I hated to tell him no, but I also hated to give up my Kindle at bed time (he's older, and we head for our bedrooms around the same time). 

I hope your dd feels better soon, and that what you all had was close enough to give everyone some immunity.