Menu

My hands are suddenly looking old

school17777

My hands are getting old also.  I recently purchased some cream/treatment stuff for my face that didn't exactly work out.  (Very picky about what goes on my face!).  So now I keep that stuff by my chair and put it on my hands and neckline instead.

My hands have suddenly decided to show the world that I am 57. Actually they look like 67 to me.  One night when applying my night time anti aging cream to my face, I had some excess... decided to put it on the backs of my hands.  What a huge difference in the morning!!  Now I use it almost every night. I really helps my hands look as young as I feel!  (Btw, I use Olay Regenerist.)  

I've had my mother's hands for 20 years. Age spots, bony, wrinkly. Nothing I can do about it.

Same here. I've had bony crone hands pretty much forever.

I remember one day in law school, so I was mid-20s, and we were goofing around with that "pinch the skin on the back of your hand and see how long it takes to snap back" thing while we waited for class to start. Mine took so long it drew a crowd. The professor, who forgot he'd already turned on his microphone, announced to the entire lecture hall, "That was SLOW!"

• 2 weeks later...

You could try something with retinol or even Retin A on your hands. Then, apply sunscreen to hands during the day!

Yes, I've heard that whatever we use on the face are great to use on the hands also. 

Avoid sun exposure. 

Our hands get as much exposure to the elements as our faces, but do we slather them with SPF 30 daily? Not many of us do. Here are some simple, fast things to get your hands looking better: Apply sunscreen to them every morning and reapply it throughout the day. 

Wear rubber gloves every time you do the dishes.

Moisturize your hands every time they come in contact with water.

Rub on cuticle oil every morning and night.

At least once a month, or preferably more often, cover your hands in thick nourishing cream, and slip them into soft cotton gloves for the night. In the morning the cream will have been absorbed leaving hands smoother and softer. It is also helpful to keep a regular supply of hand cream on the bedside table to remind you to apply it before you sleep.

Treat rough skin with a homemade olive oil and sugar scrub. Mix together 1/4 teaspoon each sugar and olive oil and massage into the backs of hands once a week.

Mine are old-looking, too, mostly due to sun exposure.

A couple of years ago, I was diligent about using sun screen on my hands, and used Porcelana to see if I could get rid of age spots. I was amazed by the results! Took about 3-4 months (I remember starting on my birthday and noticing real results by Easter) but it truly made a difference.

Need to try it again. Now I've stopped biting my nails and so I want my hands to look nicer to show them off. 

Oh, and Belaqua--wanted to say I don't know if this is true in your case, but I know the pull up your skin-how long to spring back is a test given to older folks to see if they are hydrated enough, so you might want to check your water intake.

I had to laugh as just yesterday my dh looked at me and said, "your hands are looking OLD"..........I am only 43 so NOT old at all.  I don't do manicures, lotions, gloves, etc. and do work outside with the horses/hobby farm a lot so I am sure they are looking older.

My hands have always been bony. When I was in my 20s it looked delicate, now it just looks bony, lol. So, that isn't going to change unless I can suddenly afford fillers (not!). But age spots can be avoided by the use of sunscreen.

Sunscreen should be used hairline to braline and on hands. The suns rays that cause spots and aging can go through glass, so think of all the sun exposure when you drive a car! Time in the car is like being at the beach. It won't burn you, but it does add to photoaging. There is a reason you see women wearing gloves outside in those old movies. Grace Kelly wasn't worried she would get calloused hands driving a car, she was protecting her hands from the sun.

And if you use any night creams etc on your face you can use it on your neck and chest and the backs of your hands.

Last summer, my then 5 year old dd asks her Aunt, "Did you just get out of the shower?" Her Aunt replies, "No. Why?" My dd says, "Never mind. I don't want to hurt your feelings." Her Aunt insists that dd tell her why. My dd replies, "Well, your hands are all wrinkly." :ohmy: