Menu

SO Frustrated with Amazon Prime!

JennifersLost

Edited: I originally started this thread as a "How should I Use Prime?" thread after my son gave me Amazon Prime for Christmas.

Then I went onto Amazon this afternoon and found out it doesn't even work for me. I live in Canada. So does my son. Why would the site even allow him to purchase a service that can't be used on our country?

So I checked out Amazon Prime on Amazon.ca which is completely stripped of any usefulness. No movies or tv shows, no free lends on books. But it still had the two-day shipping option so I thought I'd try to get my membership switched.

Nope. No can do. My only recourse was getting the membership cancelled and refunded. Except that I didn't order it - my son did. And they couldn't even figure out who he was or how to refund the money to him. I spent over an hour in online chat and got nowhere. They finally told me my son would have to log in and cancel the gift. What do you bet that when he tries that he won't be allowed to since I already accepted and started the membership????

I am soooo frustrated. I have to wait for my son to get home to do his part. I hope it goes smoothly. If he has to fight it out with customer service as well I will be very angry.

Rant over.

Up to four people in your household can be a guest on his account. Make sure he invites you so you can use the free shipping, too.  I don't have a kindle fire so we don't use the streaming but the saving for the shipping alone make it a great investment if you use Amazon a lot.

I love prime.

two -day shipping.  you don't have to worry about reaching $25 before ordering for free shipping.  I just order as I need things.  really nice if something get's forgotten.

you can also do streaming for stuff.  their selection is different from netflix.  you can select online and put it on your watch list, or from your media device.  (but it's easier to use a whole keyboard).

FREE SHIPPING!  That alone is more than worth the price.  I abuse it terribly though, as I'll order several things on any given day at separate times.  I also use it to stream movies and TV shows, though I think Prime members should get far more free shows than what they have.  I want them ALL for free.  I'm greedy like that though.  I've spent enough money at Amazon, that Boaz should be paying me to watch stuff!  ;)  I usually stream something while I'm exercising, because I'm so used to the  routines, I don't need to hear the banal commentary and "you can do its," I just need to peek at it every now and then for the change ups.  It makes exercising ever so much more pleasant, and the time seems to go by more quickly when I watch something.

Up to four people in your household can be a guest on his account. Make sure he invites you so you can use the free shipping, too. I don't have a kindle fire so we don't use the streaming but the saving for the shipping alone make it a great investment if you use Amazon a lot.

You do not need a Kindle Fire to stream. You can use a Roku or similar to stream to your TV. Forgive me if you knew this already--it is new info for me, and you know how zealous a new concert can be.

Don't forget Subscribe and Save items!  I don't know if those are available to non-Prime members, but I love S&S!  Look for items you use normally, have them shipped to your door for free, I think you save 5%.  They will arrive on the same day each month (or every other month or 3 months)... The great part is that if you have 5 items arriving the same day, you save another 20%.  We manage our account so that we always get the 20%.  It is great for specialty food items (we have special - expensive - dietary needs here), things like dishwasher detergent, etc.  

For the New Year, my challenge is to use our Prime account, a-hem, a bit less.  I became overzealous.  :)

• One free borrowed e-book per month from the Kindle Owners Lending Library. Note that you need an actual Kindle (not, say, the Kindle app for iPad) to take advantage of the Lending Library. The library’s book selection is decent and includes hits like the Hunger Games trilogy, the Harry Potter books and Fast Food Nation, but obviously doesn’t include every title published under the sun. You can check out this link to peruse their collection – kind of hack-y, but they’re pretty cagey about showing the Lending Library upfront.

My daughter loves this option.

• One free borrowed e-book per month from the Kindle Owners Lending Library. Note that you need an actual Kindle (not, say, the Kindle app for iPad) to take advantage of the Lending Library. The library’s book selection is decent and includes hits like the Hunger Games trilogy, the Harry Potter books and Fast Food Nation, but obviously doesn’t include every title published under the sun. You can check out this link to peruse their collection – kind of hack-y, but they’re pretty cagey about showing the Lending Library upfront.

My daughter loves this option.

Plus one selection from Kindle First every month. They started this last month. They give you 4 selections of new books and you pick one. It's to keep, not borrow.

is it free shipping everything?  we were looking at a workbench for ds and the shipping is $75 .  Would that be free with Prime?

Only for items sold by Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon. Something bought from a private seller would not count. It'll say if it's fulfilled or sold by in the price description.

Where is this found? I have a first gen kindle fire but we also have an HD and a touch.

I have a fire but that's not where I saw it . There was an ad on one of my screen savers on my basic kindle. That is where I found out that if you go to the front page of the shopping area while on your kindle, you will see Kindle First as an option. Then you see your 4 choices.

We can't figure it out on our wii. We do stream Netflix. I'm wondering what we are doing wrong. We would like to have the option of amazon on that TV too.

With the Wii, you need to request a special disc from Netflix. You use it to install the streaming program.

There are also many coupons available to "clip" for household and grocery items.

Slickdeals dot net is a great resource for good sales, and many threads are posted for amazon deals and price decreases. The frontpage of this website are for the hottest deals, but I also go to forums, then "hot deals" page for more that don't make the front page. You can also do searches for specific brands, items or retailers, so you could search for amazon threads specifically. 

Also, their price adjustment policy is great. If an item decreases in price within 7 days from when you ordered, they will refund your cc the difference. When I order anything, I watch the price throughout the next week and then ask for an adjustment via live chat. You can call as well, but the live chat is much easier and I've had better results that way. 

I have a fire but that's not where I saw it . There was an ad on one of my screen savers on my basic kindle. That is where I found out that if you go to the front page of the shopping area while on your kindle, you will see Kindle First as an option. Then you see your 4 choices.

Sorry but the book buying page or the amazon in general page/app?

Sorry but the book buying page or the amazon in general page/app?

The book buying page, while you are on the Kindle. Hit the shopping cart while on the Kindle, it should take you directly to the front page of the book menu. Select Amazon First.

We can't figure it out on our wii. We do stream Netflix. I'm wondering what we are doing wrong. We would like to have the option of amazon on that TV too.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57563975-285/how-to-set-up-amazon-instant-video-on-the-nintendo-wii/

Hope this helps.  We don't actually use it on our wii I just know you can.  The link has a step by step.

I love my Prime. Free shipping is worth it right there. But, I watch tons of old tv shows I never watched when they aired (Alias, Dr. Who, The Good Wife, Grey's Anatomy, Suits) and we use it for Family Movie Night. They don't have a great selection for free, I don't think, but hey... beggars can't be choosers, right? :)