Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW1 Happy New Year

Robin M

I'm halfway through my Isabel Dalhousie mystery. Next book will be the last in the series :( I've really enjoyed it. The main character is a philosopher and the 'mysteries' tend more towards the musings and vagaries of the moral heart than a who-dunnit kind of theme.

I also wanted to mention a book I read last year because it was one of the few fiction books I actually got through and thoroughly enjoyed. It's by a new author, Helen Simonson, and is called 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand'. If you're looking for an enjoyable foray into a small village in the English countryside with a slight twist then you might enjoy this. I found her writing to be disciplined but rich. And the characters were well fleshed out.

A few books on my 'to read' list are :: The Lives of Trees by Diana Wells, Mary Magdalene by Margaret George and Billy Collins's 'Aimless Love' which I've already dipped into and love.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so amazed by everyone's wrap-up from 2013! Last year I wanted to join but didn't know when I would find the time to read so much literature (although I read an excessive amount of children's lit). This year I really want to participate and will make time for my own reading.

I'm jumping in with both feet by starting with 1Q84. If every book is this long I may only get to 26 books this year!

This year, I'm in!

This week I read:

Beyond the Beautiful Forever by Katherine Boo and I am half way through David and Goliath by Malcom Gladwell. Unfortunately, neither is as I had expected and I am a bit disappointed at my first selections.

Onward and Upward, though, I have several things on hold at the library and a huge family communal bookshelf of other people's choices which I have not yet read.

Does most everyone choose the list ahead of time? I am selecting as I go, from a variety of sources, particularly Mental Multivitamin and the 1001 list. Also, these were traditional books, but I am including my CD commute books, too. Is that legit?

I am doing this to establish a better reading habit with better quality reading material.

Happy New Year!

I finished a Christmas book today that I had started weeks ago, The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs.  I'm not a huge reader of non-fiction or Bible "devotionals."  I prefer to read and meditate on the Bible itself.  However, I did enjoy this book.  It was a lovely little book about Mary, Elisabeth, and Anna and their roles in the birth of Jesus.  I enjoyed Liz's conversational style.  She seems real (unlike Beth Moore :leaving: ). I bet she would be fun to sit down and have a conversation with!  I also enjoyed some different insights into each of these women's lives.  I didn't agree with everything she said, but that's to be expected  ;)  The thing that bothered me the most was the overabundance of Bible versions used (one of the other reasons I don't read many devotional books).  I know I'm a bit of a Bible snob as I prefer my KJV only, but I'm not opposed to looking up something in another version.  However, there seemed to be 3-5 different versions quoted per verse!  I didn't need to know every way that the verse could be interpreted because I probably don't agree with the interpretation anyway  :tongue_smilie: Overall I would give it 4 stars and would recommend it, especially at Christmas.

1. The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs

Regardind the question of do we pick our lists ahead of time? For me the answer is pretty much no. I know that I will be trying to do most of Robin's already announced challenges so I guess those are chosen. I am predisposed to read series in order so I have several that I am reading through but I tend to get those from the library as the mood strikes me. Most of my books come from reading this thread and doing libtary requests as I go through it so pretty spontanious. Library books do build up with my method and I do have a hard time returning the ones that I am not getting to. Hope this helps.

Does most everyone choose the list ahead of time? I am selecting as I go, from a variety of sources, particularly Mental Multivitamin and the 1001 list. Also, these were traditional books, but I am including my CD commute books, too. Is that legit?

I don't tend to select/prep a list ahead of time. Like mumto2 said, I will jump in & join a few of the challenges, but other than that, I tend to read what strikes my fancy at the time.

For the most part I don't, but this year I've done it a bit. Usually what I do is choose from books I want to read, and tell myself that "This year I'm going to try and read..." then I name the books I plan to read this year. I leave plenty of room for other books too, so if I hear or read about a book I might like, I have room in my reading schedule. 

I am doing this to establish a better reading habit with better quality reading material.

Happy New Year!

Welcome!  

This thread is here to inspire you, to cheer you on and for you to have a chance to talk about whatever book has struck your fancy.  But don't feel you only have to read serious literature on printed paper. Fluff counts too, and most of us read our share of fluff each year.  In fact you'll find some great recommendations on lighter fare, whether fantasy, romance or mystery, for those weeks when you just can't face anything serious and deep.

Some ladies plan ahead, some are serendipitous readers choosing new books with reckless abandon.  I get the feeling we all keep a running list of titles recommended on this thread.  Audio books absolutely count -- half my reading comes through my ear buds or the car speakers.  E-books count too, and you'll find lots of alerts to fabulous Kindle deals each week.

Sorry your first book choices of the year have been disappointing, but stick around and tell us about what does finally satisfy.  

Every year I start out posting and then end up forgetting. I read a lot but I'd line to be more social about discussing books so hope to join in more this year.

I just finished my first book of the year, Just One Evil Act by Elizabeth George. I used to be a huge fan of her mysteries. I still like them but less so. This one was better than the last few, I thought.

Next up I have Someone by Alice McDermott, The Riddle in the Labyrinth and the second bikini in a fun middle grade fantasy series that my son wants me to read.

My only challenge for the year is to read more and to try and read more off my TBR list and my shelves.

Look forward to hearing more from you and joining in on the discussions.  I have George's With No One as Witness that's been sitting for a while.  Keeps calling my name but I keep ignoring since it's huge. Decided will make it my G by author book for A to Z

I'm coming in 2 days late here, but I just finished A Memory of Light, the final book in Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series!  :party:

So I reached my goal for 2013 (a little late) and finished all 14 books of The Wheel of Time series.  I'm still processing the ending.  I'm not sure that I like how it was all wrapped up.  Of all the endings, this was not one I had imagined.  The book had some brilliant moments and some that brought tears to my eyes (seeing as how I have spent all year with these characters).  Overall, though, it was not my favorite of the series.  I guess I wanted to LOVE it.  Maybe with more reflection that will change.  I may just be too close to it all now.  I'm not sure that I've spent so long with the same characters before.  Reaching the end is like moving away from very dear people after a long friendship.  It's going to take me a bit to leave them behind and get focused on my TBR pile.  

Total books read for 2013: 18

The Wheel of Time (every one of these books were chunksters):

The Eye of the World

The Great Hunt

The Dragon Reborn

The Shadow Rising

The Fires of Heaven

Lord of Chaos

A Crown of Swords

The Path of Daggers

Winter's Heart

Crossroads of Twilight

Knife of Dreams

The Gathering Storm

Towers of Midnight

A Memory of Light

Other books:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Prince Caspian

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Audio book:

The Peculiar

Awesome - you persevered and you did it.  It's completely understandable that you'd be at a loss after spending all year with the characters and their journey.  It's the same for me. I finish a series and have to take a break for time.   I still have #4 and #5 to read.  Looks like I'll be managing two a year. 

Ok, I'm in! Last year, I had to bail out because I had to study for a major licensing exam, got separated, and nearly died. ;)

I've created my own categories based on the books on my shelf.

Categories:

1. Spiritual
  2. Healthy eating/fitness
  3. Fiction
  4. Career/Change at Mid Life
  5. Self improvement
  6. Money/budgeting

Right now, I am finishing Brene Brown's book Daring Greatly. She's a shame researcher and Daring Greatly is about vulnerability. She has some TED talks.

I'm going to start The Finish Rich Workbook.

So glad you are doing better and happy you are joining us this year.  Love your categories and look forward to hearing about your reads.

So last year I joined, got crazy busy (mostly due to dance) in the first half of the year and barely read and then decided it was too hard to catch up and just didn't keep track.  This year I am jumping aboard the reading train again and am determined that even if I get "behind" not to drop out completely and just do what I can do.  It was so neat to see the final lists last week.  That said I spent the first 2 days of the new year with YA brain candy, and mostly vegged out reading, meaning I have already finished 2 books this year.  I figure if I can get through a few quickly when I get busy again I won't pressure myself to do more than I can.

On Jan 1 I started and finished Whispers at moonrise by c.c.hunter.  It is book 4 in the shadow falls series (YA supernatural creatures genre).  Jan 2 I started and finished Chosen at nightfall by c.c. hunter which was book 5 of the above series.  Tonight when I head to bed I am starting Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp.  I have to finish it within a couple days because it was due at the library today and technically I couldn't renew it so I claimed I lost it in the house so they gave me the weekend to find it without charging me late fees, which means it must be done and in the book drop Sunday.

I have no idea if I will participate in the challenges or not, if I saw I willo now chances are I will make my reading choices be about finishing challenges rather than titles I actually want to read kwim.

C.C. Hunter's books look really good. Adding to my wishlist.   You don't have to participate in the other challenges but if something sparks your imagination along the way, jump on in. 

Oh! Me like! That list has a Europa book as well as one published by NYRB Classics. Hmmmm. Thinking I will be able to very easily spend my amazon giftcard from Xmas.

See, I knew you'd find something.  Have bookmarked Europe Editions to reference along with Archipelago.  Fun perusing their sites.

Someone... CupOCoffee, I think... made a comment about spending less time on the computer and more time reading.  **Raising hand**  I have the same problem here.  In fact, I got an iPad early in 2013 and noticed that I really got distracted by it for a while.  Less games, more reading in 2014!

Yes, I got an Ipad as well and have gotten addicted to Bejeweled. :lol:

I finished An Antarctic Mystery and while it was interesting, something seemed lacking.  Starting on Wind Up Bird Chronicles next.   I purchased Monument Men for Christmas for hubby and son to read thinking I would read it as well.   Once again, my son took one look at it and it disappeared into his room.  He started it yesterday and doesn't look like he is going to let it out of his clutches for a while.  Guess I'll have to wait my turn. 

I am working on 'Belgie, een geschiedenis zonder land' ( Belgium, a history without land}

and 'Vesalius' from Joris Tulkens a Flemish author of historical fiction.

Always so fun to see posts like this (because of the Belgians in my house, lol).

I'm so glad to see a review. I've been wondering how the movie turned out. Maybe I can get dh to take me. The last movie date we had was Castaway with Tom Hanks. :laugh:

Maybe you need to get out more. ;)

See, I knew you'd find something. Have bookmarked Europe Editions to reference along with Archipelago. Fun perusing their sites.

Yes, I got an Ipad as well and have gotten addicted to Bejeweled. :lol:

I finished An Antarctic Mystery and while it was interesting, something seemed lacking. Starting on Wind Up Bird Chronicles next. I purchased Monument Men for Christmas for hubby and son to read thinking I would read it as well. Once again, my son took one look at it and it disappeared into his room. He started it yesterday and doesn't look like he is going to let it out of his clutches for a while. Guess I'll have to wait my turn.

You were right about me finding something. :thumbup: Of course, I love lists like that esp. because I tend to love modern fiction!

LOL about Bejeweled. (I enjoy that game too.)

Maybe An Antarctic Mystery was too sanitized & that's why it felt lacking? For some reason, Poe's story was just so odd & bizarre in places that I found it strange & riveting. Yet, Verne's extension of the story felt like Mr. Clean visiting Antarctica. Now, had Poe then written *another* piece (in response to Verne's book), I imagine it would have been something like...

Hope your ds likes The Monuments Men!

Well, at least they have a system :lol:. The librarians at my library have decided that the Dewey Decimal System is 'too difficult' for customers, so they have instituted a new system. Except that it isn't really a system..... Last year I was looking for biographies of scientists. Stephen Hawkin's biography was located by the 'S' of 'Stephen', Albert Einstein's biography by 'E' of 'Einstein' and Madame Curie's at 'B' for 'Biography'. That was the moment I decided to only use the catalog, because browsing the shelves is obviously no longer useful.

Seriously!  More dumbing down?  Which if they'd think about it, the folks who frequent the libraries are usually more intelligent. 

This joint is jumping!

As a card carrying member of the I Read Dead Authors Club, lists of new books don't always have me jumping, but I admit to being intrigued by two on Robin's link.

I have submitted the first request at my library for:

9780374246020_p0_v2_s600.jpg?w=324&h=480

A novel of postwar Sierra Leone .  Eliana--I will be sure to fill you in on this one.

Unfortunately my library does not purchase many Europa editions, a publisher that Stacia has put on my radar.  Robin's list has:

1452528_530217067075222_1511110796_n.jpg

I thought I was finished with WWII for a while, but with Alan Furst in the Dusty Book stacks, that will be not be the case.  I do need to work my way through some dusties before new acquisitions are permitted.  In the meantime, perhaps I should mention Europa and Archipelago books to a librarian...

A couple of you were chatting about Elizabeth George.  I am several novels behind in the series because I just did not like where she was going.  The same thing happened with the Richard Jury/Melrose Plant books by Martha Grimes. Those of you who like British mysteries might enjoy her books--but I would recommend them in order because of the character back story.  (P.S.  Melrose is mine.  I claimed him long ago.)

I also added Last Train to Paris to my wishlist.  Reminded me quite a bit of Bodie Thoene's Zion Covenant books starting in 1936 when Nazi's starting occupying central Europe.  I read the whole series a few years back and have all on my shelves.  Planned on rereading Vienna Prelude again and we'll see how far I get. May end up rereading all of them again.

I will participate this year! I tried last year but didn't make it very far. Completing the 52 Books is one of my goals for this year. My first book was, The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. I spent New Year's Day snuggled up in my favorite chair reading it and finished it last night. I loved it! I'm moving on to her other books. I tend to binge on an author I like, either until I've read everything they've written or I get tired of it.

Currently reading:

Welcome and Kate Morton's books are a good start.

I am so amazed by everyone's wrap-up from 2013! Last year I wanted to join but didn't know when I would find the time to read so much literature (although I read an excessive amount of children's lit). This year I really want to participate and will make time for my own reading.

I'm jumping in with both feet by starting with 1Q84. If every book is this long I may only get to 26 books this year!

Yes, please do participate. Yeah for 1Q84. I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is why next up is Wind Up Bird Chronicles.

This year, I'm in!

This week I read:

Beyond the Beautiful Forever by Katherine Boo and I am half way through David and Goliath by Malcom Gladwell. Unfortunately, neither is as I had expected and I am a bit disappointed at my first selections.

Onward and Upward, though, I have several things on hold at the library and a huge family communal bookshelf of other people's choices which I have not yet read.

Happy New Year!

Another Yeah and Welcome!   Nope, everyone doesn't choose their list ahead of time. There is a lot of spontaneous reading going.  Even for me.  I make plans, then get distracted by another book.

Welcome!  

This thread is here to inspire you, to cheer you on and for you to have a chance to talk about whatever book has struck your fancy.  But don't feel you only have to read serious literature on printed paper. Fluff counts too, and most of us read our share of fluff each year.  In fact you'll find some great recommendations on lighter fare, whether fantasy, romance or mystery, for those weeks when you just can't face anything serious and deep.

Some ladies plan ahead, some are serendipitous readers choosing new books with reckless abandon.  I get the feeling we all keep a running list of titles recommended on this thread.  Audio books absolutely count -- half my reading comes through my ear buds or the car speakers.  E-books count too, and you'll find lots of alerts to fabulous Kindle deals each week.

Sorry your first book choices of the year have been disappointing, but stick around and tell us about what does finally satisfy.  

What Jenn said!  :hurray: Brava!

This week I'm reading A Woman of Independent Means by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey. I've read it before - years ago and am enjoying the reread. I also started Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Having a bit of a hard time getting into it, but it's highly recommended by a good friend so I'm giving it a go. 

My twins got hooked on Jane Eyre when they were about 4.  One of their big sisters was listening to it, and they latched onto it.  It remained a favorite for years (to my eternal bewilderment...)

My niece sent me two lovely Penguin hardcover classics for Christmas, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights with a note thanking me for introducing her to the Brontes:

Ummm...I did?  I remember taking her to her first performance of Shakespeare, Twelfth Night.  Much later, after my son was born, she sent him the fun children's version:

But the Brontes?  Me??  Looks like I am destined to reread these classics.

:lol:

It is actually a little embarrassing...

My mother tells me I've always been this way - she'd give us new books for long car trips, and I'd have my first one finished about 30-40 minutes into the drive...

My dc sometimes do that too. :lol:

I finished a Christmas book today that I had started weeks ago, The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs.  I'm not a huge reader of non-fiction or Bible "devotionals."  I prefer to read and meditate on the Bible itself.  However, I did enjoy this book.  It was a lovely little book about Mary, Elisabeth, and Anna and their roles in the birth of Jesus.  I enjoyed Liz's conversational style.  She seems real (unlike Beth Moore :leaving: ). I bet she would be fun to sit down and have a conversation with!  I also enjoyed some different insights into each of these women's lives.  I didn't agree with everything she said, but that's to be expected  ;)  The thing that bothered me the most was the overabundance of Bible versions used (one of the other reasons I don't read many devotional books).  I know I'm a bit of a Bible snob as I prefer my KJV only, but I'm not opposed to looking up something in another version.  However, there seemed to be 3-5 different versions quoted per verse!  I didn't need to know every way that the verse could be interpreted because I probably don't agree with the interpretation anyway  :tongue_smilie: Overall I would give it 4 stars and would recommend it, especially at Christmas.

Okay, I keep hearing about this book. I may have to add it to my pile next Christmas. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

Unless I decide to participate in a read-along or challenge book, no I don't pick much ahead of time. I'm in the middle of several series and will continue to read those, but really it just depends on what strikes my fancy at the time and what's available at the library. 

Oh, and Jane, those look like really pretty editions. I've seen those online (but never in person). Are they as pretty in real life? How does the paper feel? I might have to get myself a version of something from that series (not Wuthering Heights, though). LOL.

Oh, and Jane, those look like really pretty editions. I've seen those online (but never in person). Are they as pretty in real life? How does the paper feel? I might have to get myself a version of something from that series (not Wuthering Heights, though). LOL.

Yes, they are beautiful.  I love the William Morris-like print covers and the ribbon book marks.  The paper is medium weight--thicker than pages of a paperback but not super thick.  They are annotated with introductory material.  I'll report back after I read one and get the feel of it in hand.

Well, at least they have a system :lol:. The librarians at my library have decided that the Dewey Decimal System is 'too difficult' for customers, so they have instituted a new system. Except that it isn't really a system..... Last year I was looking for biographies of scientists. Stephen Hawkin's biography was located by the 'S' of 'Stephen', Albert Einstein's biography by 'E' of 'Einstein' and Madame Curie's at 'B' for 'Biography'. That was the moment I decided to only use the catalog, because browsing the shelves is obviously no longer useful.

Egads!  Perhaps I need to say thank you again to our librarians as we have no such system.

I'm always jealous of people who talk about wonderful picture books to use with older kids....I don't think I have ever seen those.

There is always inter-library loan.

We are over the moon here... though I had to laugh at myself... one of the first things I did after hearing was to start making a book list for our grandbaby.

Do share ~ What is on that list for the grandbaby, Eliana?

Regards,

Kareni

I think the "rule" was that kids lit counted if it was written for kids over age 9? So not 'Spot goes to the Farm' but 'Heidi' counts. 

If I bail on Wind-up Bird, I'm hoping to try Kafka on the Shore before giving up on Murakami... thank you for the suggestion.

I think you + Murakami could = interesting.

I'm very curious as to how you'll find him. On one hand, I can see you not making it far before ditching him; on the other hand, I could see you appreciating (if not necessarily loving) his work. I really can't tell which it will be.

FYI, I loved Kafka on the Shore. You might like that there is an Oedipal bent to the story. There is one small disturbing scene in there. (I knew about it ahead of time & steeled myself -- only because of my love for Murakami. When I got to that part, I squinted & kind of skimmed/sped read through the couple of pages. LOL.)

I'm waiting for Tale of the Heike to come in at the library (I used to own this, but seem to have gotten rid of it at some point), am about to be very, very brave and stretch myself by trying some Murakami, and I have The Old Capital sitting here waiting for me... though now that you mention Tale of Genji, I am tempted to do a reread... it has been a couple of decades since I read it... and I have the Royall Tyler translation that I want to read all the way through (I've read bits a pieces, but not done a proper reread)

...but if it is just that a book requires more work, I try to persevere.  I'm reading a challenging book by Zizek right now that I need to read in small increments (and that I keep setting aside for other, easier, choices!), but I try to keep coming back to it. 

One of the things I love about this group is that we have such diversity of readers - some folks, like Violet Crown, read mainly studious classics, others read mostly SF/F (like Angel's amazing year-long read of the Wheel of Time series), Kareni shares informative reviews of romance novels (some of them intriguing enough to almost tempt me to step out of my comfort zone and try one!), and then Robin and Stacia cover the entire spectrum of reading possibilities!  There's room for everyone here!

:iagree:   For me, it wasn't a numerical goal I needed, but some of the challenges (especially the continental one) opened new worlds for me, and hearing about other people's reading experiences has encouraged me to try new things (like the Murakami I'm planning to start after Shabbos..)

...but, at the risk of sounding hopelessly maudlin, it is the camaraderie that has meant the most to me...and this is probably the first time in my life I have talked this candidly about just how much, and what, I read...and having that be okay, being able to be myself here without needing apologize or to tamp down my, admittedly eccentric, enthusiasms has been very special indeed.

Whoops!  Thank you, honey!.  Here it is.  That should link directly to my 2013 shelf.

I should have gotten the Royall Tyler translation but decided to go small, start with volume one and see if i would like it before committing to the huge book.  RE Zizek, I have the eyes are bigger than the stomach syndrome in which I'd love to read it, but have so many others like it on the shelves that are gathering dust.  I'll be proud of myself if I manage to read The Cave and the Light.     

No, you don't sound maudlin. Happy, which makes me happy.   Which is why I love our diversity of readers - Greeting everyone with open arms and  happily reading books, discussing books, graciously agreeing or disagreeing.   No snark, no censorship.  :grouphug:  

You were right about me finding something.  :thumbup:  Of course, I love lists like that esp. because I tend to love modern fiction!

LOL about Bejeweled. (I enjoy that game too.)

Maybe An Antarctic Mystery was too sanitized & that's why it felt lacking? For some reason, Poe's story was just so odd & bizarre in places that I found it strange & riveting. Yet, Verne's extension of the story felt like Mr. Clean visiting Antarctica. Now, had Poe then written *another* piece (in response to Verne's book), I imagine it would have been something like...

Hope your ds likes The Monuments Men!

Exactly!

I need some suggestions please!  I have decided on what I want my 5/5/5 to be, and I need some help with titles to fill them.  Here's what I've got so far:

Old Favorite Sci-fi/Fantasy

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

The Star Scroll by Melanie Rawn

Sun-Runner's Fire by Melanie Rawn

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey, which will probably lead to reading the rest of the books in this series

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which will probably lead to reading the rest of the series, too  (I think I have this category covered.  LOL)

Travelogue/Travel books

The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

An Embarrassment of Mangoes by Ann Vanderhoof

A Trip to the Beach by Melinda Blanchard

360 Degrees Longitude by John Higham

Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1700 Miles of Australian Outback by Robyn Davidson

Whatever You Do, Don't Run by Peter Allison  (Yeah, got this one covered, too.)

Plays

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Mysteries

Nope

Nonfiction unrelated to travel

Nada

Any ideas?

Mysteries:  I can't remember if you've tried James Rollins or not, but you may want to consider his books. Check out Iain Pears for art history mysteries.  Dean Koontz Odd Thomas series for paranormal mystery. 

Is there an official start date for our Japan read along?

Unofficially it started on the 1st. Officially, this Sunday. 

Interesting tidbit of information from the nobel prize committee. They keep their lists secret for 50 years so are releasing the names of the candidates from the 1963 award. Plus the Literary Saloon has dug up some additional information behind the scenes info.

I need some suggestions please!  I have decided on what I want my 5/5/5 to be, and I need some help with titles to fill them.  Here's what I've got so far:

Nonfiction unrelated to travel

Nada

I thought of one more book for this category.  It's a non-travel book written by Bill Bryson.

The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way

Amazon.com Review

"Who would have thought that a book about English would be so entertaining? Certainly not this grammar-allergic reviewer, but The Mother Tongue pulls it off admirably. Bill Bryson--a zealot--is the right man for the job. Who else could rhapsodize about "the colorless murmur of the schwa" with a straight face? It is his unflagging enthusiasm, seeping from between every sentence, that carries the book.

Bryson displays an encyclopedic knowledge of his topic, and this inevitably encourages a light tone; the more you know about a subject, the more absurd it becomes. No jokes are necessary, the facts do well enough by themselves, and Bryson supplies tens per page. As well as tossing off gems of fractured English (from a Japanese eraser: "This product will self-destruct in Mother Earth."), Bryson frequently takes time to compare the idiosyncratic tongue with other languages. Not only does this give a laugh (one word: Welsh), and always shed considerable light, it also makes the reader feel fortunate to speak English."

It's one of my favorite Bill Bryson books.

Regards,

Kareni

I am *loving* how eclectic this thread is. You ladies are all pretty inspiring with your engagement and intention. Perhaps I'll read more this year than I imagined :D

question :: Is the 5/5/5 challenge five different books in five different categories of one's choice in 5 weeks?

Jane in NC, I recall that you are a Dorothy Dunnett fan given your 'Dorothy Dunnett personal challenge'. I thought of you when I saw this post. Perhaps others might find it of interest also.

Loving Lymond: Dorothy DunnettĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Lymond Chronicles

Regards,

Kareni

Nice description of the Lymond Chronicles which I adore. I have been working my way through her other equally colorful series, The House of Niccolo. Thanks for the inspirational link!

I am a reader of nonfiction (science, history, some travel) and light fiction (suspense, law/politics, romance). I've just finished the first book in Lara Adrian's Breed series and find myself compelled to click that Overdrive button for the next one. Paranormal...seriously??

Love my library system!

I am *loving* how eclectic this thread is. You ladies are all pretty inspiring with your engagement and intention. Perhaps I'll read more this year than I imagined :D

question :: Is the 5/5/5 challenge five different books in five different categories of one's choice in 5 weeks?

5/5/5 is five books in five different categories or genres if that makes sense.  You have the whole year to read and are not limited to 5 weeks.

I am a reader of nonfiction (science, history, some travel) and light fiction (suspense, law/politics, romance). I've just finished the first book in Lara Adrian's Breed series and find myself compelled to click that Overdrive button for the next one. Paranormal...seriously??

Love my library system!

Ha! You've been hooked.    I loved Adrian's Breed series. Once I read the first one, read them all.  Have #10 Edge of Dawn waiting in the wings for when I need a break from reading Wind Up.

I noticed from last year, I started reading through all my A books first, then B's - had a list of 4 or 5 for each until I hit the L's, then it sorted of fizzled down to one each for author and title.  :lol:

If anyone is on google +, I started a circle there today.  I really don't know how it works yet but if you can find me or let me know what your google name is (pm if you need too) I'll add you. 

This year, I'm in!

Happy New Year!

Last year, I just let my interests dictate what I read, as well as recommendations and discussions from this thread.  I joined a read-a-long, and a month theme (October-Spooky Reads), too.  This year, I am being a little more structured in my reading, in that I have a few more goals for myself.  I'm finding loads of books to fit those goals, and then plan to pick from those lists.  However, I don't plan on being very strict with it.  Meaning, if something else catches my eye, and I just can't put it down, I'm going with it.  Plus, a book I've been waiting about 4 years for is coming out this summer, and I'll drop everything and read it.   :D  (Written in My Heart's Own Blood by Diana Gabaldon is the book.)

You and I have a bit in common, then.  I, too, don't like "devotionals", and prefer just studying my Bible, don't really care for Beth Moore studies, and love my NKJV/KJV only.  I may have to give this a try, but I would find the multiple Bible versions irritating as well.  I love that "I don't need to know every way that the verse could be interpreted because I probably don't agree with the interpretation anyway."   :thumbup:   That is so me!  LOL

My dc sometimes do that too. :lol:

Eliana's reading speed:

[edited to remove picture]

By comparison, my reading speed:

Stacia, you've become an animated gif monster!  I love it!!   :lol:

What kind of plays do you like?

A few more British comedic classics:

She Stoops to Conquer

Blithe Spirits (or another Noel Coward)

Wild Oats by John O'Keeffe

Trelawny of the Wells by Arthur Pinero

Seasons Greetings by Ackybourn

Some American comedies:

Ladies of the Camellias was written when I was a teen, I believe, and I saw its premiere at OSF.  It is fun and the French history/lit references are delightful.  Here's a plot summary from Google books:

Sabrina Fair has always been dear to my heart (there are two film adaptations of it, but I passionately dislike both of them). An excerpt from an Amazon review sums up my reactions well:

...Moliere is so much fun, but not nearly as good in English... but still, imho, unmissable.  Tartuffe or the Miser might be good starting places.

More serious selections:

Arthur Miller is a favorite playwright here - All my Sons is my personal favorite, with Incident at Vichy my second favorite (maybe some year I'll love Death of a Salesman or Crucible, but that year hasn't come yet....)

Two Rooms is intense, but amazing.  Publisher's description: "The two rooms of the title are a windowless cubicle in Beirut where an American hostage is being held by Arab terrorists and a room in his home in the United States which his wife has stripped of furniture so that, at least symbolically, she can share his ordeal."

Moon for the Misbegotten is a heavy play, but beautiful.  There is at least one video production, but I loathed it.  It made the play so much darker and grimmer than I read it.

Tally's Folly is a lovely little two person play - it's part of a series, but is completely engaging w/out the backstory. 

Wit is very modern, and there is a fabulous Emma Thompson film of it.  The book & film are a little different, but both are perfect.  I highly recommend both.

Raisin in the Sun and, a stand out choice, Fences by August Wilson.

Antigone - I like reading both Sophocles's and Anouillh's versions

Doll's House by Ibsen

Major Barbara by Shaw

A Shayna Maidel by Barbara Lebow

Fire Raisers by Max Frisch

Betrayal by Pinter

Master Harold and the Boys by Athol Fugard

Angel Street by Patrick Hamilton

Our Country's Good by Timberlake Wertenbaker

...I could go on for ages!  I love drama!

Mysteries:

Dorothy Sayers.  She is amazing.

Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar.

If you like golden age mystries Ngaio Marsh and Margery Allingham can be fun.

PD James is a talented writer; her Cordelia Gray books were my favorites

I'll try to come back a link titles/add more info, but I have to go keep getting ready for Shabbos!

What kind of plays do I like?  Hmm...  My first thought is, "I don't know, as I don't read plays."  However, when I think about the movie adaptations I have watched and enjoyed, it has definitely been comedies that top the list.  I absolutely love Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, followed closely by Midsummer Night's Dream.  I saw a high school production of The Importance of Being Earnest, fell in love with it, and enjoy the movie adaptation with Rupert Everett.  I read Romeo and Juliet in school, and King Lear, which I also saw performed at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.  Hated King Lear.  I've read a little of Hamlet, and seen a little of Hamlet.  I love musicals.

I guess I like comedies.  LOL

Thank you so much for this list.  I will be adding many, if not all, of them to my list of possibles for this year.

Mysteries:  I can't remember if you've tried James Rollins or not, but you may want to consider his books. Check out Iain Pears for art history mysteries.  Dean Koontz Odd Thomas series for paranormal mystery. 

No, I haven't read anything by James Rollins, so I will look him up.  I have the Odd Thomas books, but didn't realize they were mysteries.  Onto the list they go!  Iain Pears I'll look out for, as well.  Thanks!

Mysteries aren't really my thing, but I keep thinking I just haven't found the right kind yet.  Out of all the books out there, there has to be at least one mystery I'll like.  LOL

Would The Maltese Falcon be considered a mystery?  I read that way back in upper elementary/early middle school, and I am wanting to do a reread so I can remember it.  I just remember liking it.  Also, I want to try another Agatha Christie this year, so she is going on the list, too.

I thought of one more book for this category.  It's a non-travel book written by Bill Bryson.

The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way

It's one of my favorite Bill Bryson books.

Regards,

Kareni

This looks perfect, Kareni, thank you!  I love to learn about where words come from, and this will surely hit the spot.

Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations!  I'm so excited and pumped for this new year of reading!

Thanks to Robins post about her Book Lust christmas presents, *I* of course had to immediately request them from the library.  I have since decided I have to buy those 2 or more books.  For sure Book Lust and the Book Lust travel book.  So much for not buying any books :P

Is it okay to post links?  I have a link to 16 free Beth Moore books for those that are interested.http://echristianresources.com/2013/12/16-free-ebooks-from-beth-moore/ 

Plus, a book I've been waiting about 4 years for is coming out this summer, and I'll drop everything and read it.   :D  (Written in My Heart's Own Blood by Diana Gabaldon is the book.)

Me too!!  Are you pre-ordering somewhere or buying it on the release date? I haven't decided which I prefer, but I still have to finish books 6 & 7 and The Scottish Prisoner first anyway.

On a semi-related note, did you see the new photo STARZ released last week of Jamie and Claire?  :svengo:

Jane in NC, I recall that you are a Dorothy Dunnett fan given your 'Dorothy Dunnett personal challenge'.  I thought of you when I saw this post.  Perhaps others might find it of interest also.

Loving Lymond: Dorothy DunnettĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Lymond Chronicles

Regards,

Kareni

Nice description of the Lymond Chronicles which I adore. I have been working my way through her other equally colorful series, The House of Niccolo. Thanks for the inspirational link!

How have I missed this series?  Just placed a hold on Game of Kings.  

I need several of you to be my neighbors so we could be trading books, then talking about them over coffee, tea or wine while we knit.  

Thinking of you, Kareni, as you tackle Mt. Washmore...

Somewhat ot (seems many of my posts this week are), but dh & I went to see American Hustle tonight. Some great acting in this genre film! (Btw, Onceuponatime, have you & your dh had your movie date night yet? :toetap05: :laugh: .)

I may need to find some cheesy 70s reading now. Any suggestions?

Check out Iain Pears for art history mysteries. 

Interesting tidbit of information from the nobel prize committee. They keep their lists secret for 50 years so are releasing the names of the candidates from the 1963 award. Plus the Literary Saloon has dug up some additional information behind the scenes info.

Thanks for the reminder about Iain Pears. I have one of his thick books sitting on my shelves. This may be the year to tackle it (not this month, though, w/ my other chunky book reading).

Cool info about the Nobel stuff, Robin.

Me too!!  Are you pre-ordering somewhere or buying it on the release date? I haven't decided which I prefer, but I still have to finish books 6 & 7 and The Scottish Prisoner first anyway.

On a semi-related note, did you see the new photo STARZ released last week of Jamie and Claire?  :svengo:

I have already pre-ordered it from Amazon.  I fully expect it to be at my door on the day of release.  LOL  If not, Amazon has a lot of explaining to do.

I'm currently reading The Scottish Prisoner (it's taking me forever because I don't care for Lord John, I know, sacrilege!), and finished my rererereread of Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager.  I need to get started on Drums of Autumn.  I was hoping to have them all reread before MOBY comes out, but I may not get to them with all this other reading I want to do.

Oh, yes, I've been keeping up with all the news from facebook groups to twitter followings to Pinterest.  It's all so exciting!!  I love how Diana and the cast and crew are so interactive with the fans.  It makes the series even more personal to me.  We've been waiting a long time for this, and I really believe it's going to be great!

Did you see this fan-made poster?  Don't you just want to run up there and pull Randal off his high horse??

Your thoughts are much appreciated!  (as are the illustrations!)

Who'd have guessed what one could find by using a search engine?!

Cheesy 70s Books

movies: Cheesy 70's Post Apocalyptic Classics

music: Cheesy Hits of the Seventies

Regards,

Kareni

(It's Harrison Ford. I had to do it. :D )

Since we've been cat heavy this week, here's one for the dog fans...

Somewhat ot (seems many of my posts this week are), but dh & I went to see American Hustle tonight. Some great acting in this genre film! (Btw, Onceuponatime, have you & your dh had your movie date night yet? :toetap05:  :laugh: .)

:smilielol5: the Mt. Washmore pics.  Is that guy supposed to be Green Lantern, or something?  LOL

Harrison Ford   :001_wub:   You can post gifs of him for no reason at all.

The first thing that came to mind for cheesy 70s reading was old Harlequin romances.   :D   Here's the perfect one Stacia!

Your thoughts are much appreciated!  (as are the illustrations!)

Cheesy 70s Books

Regards,

Kareni

Hey now, wait.  Sydney Sheldon wasn't cheesy!   :leaving:

The first thing that came to mind for cheesy 70s reading was old Harlequin romances.   :D   Here's the perfect one Stacia!

9653133.jpg

Michele, the review you linked contains an interesting typo. 

"But incredibly, Renny found herself drawn towards Carl's powerful, magnetic personality like a moth to a flame. Could she extricate herself from this potentially dangerous situation? Or would her love be the weapon by which he would vengefully destory her?" 

Imagine the horror of a character in a story being destoried!  Where would she go?

Regards,

Kareni

Michele, the review you linked contains an interesting typo. 

"But incredibly, Renny found herself drawn towards Carl's powerful, magnetic personality like a moth to a flame. Could she extricate herself from this potentially dangerous situation? Or would her love be the weapon by which he would vengefully destory her?"

Imagine the horror of a character in a story being destoried!  Where would she go?

Regards,

Kareni

Bwahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!  I didn't read much past the "Women need a little rough treatment" line, and I should have 'cause that's funny right there.  LOL

Cheesy 70s Books

Regards,

Kareni

Ahem.  How many of the tunes immediately pop into YOUR head when you look at the list of cheesy hits of the 70s?  It's too long a list to count but I must be in the 90% range.  Yes I am that old...

I never read any of the titles from the Good Reads list, but my high school bff and I somehow got in to see the movie of The Other Side of Midnight -- we must have been 15 or 16 and it was most definitely R rated.  It was an eye opening experience to say the least.  As in  :eek:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :eek: but we were totally  :cool: about it.

ETA  And now I have "knock three times on the ceiling if you want me...." stuck in my head.  Kareni...just gah!!!