Menu

Feeling sad--falling off the homeschool map; prayers, good wishes etc. requested

Yes, in less than a week we will no longer officially be homeschoolers. After dh suffered health issues last fall, we both decided it was time for me to return to grad. school. He's made a good recovery, but it became clear to both of us that we needed to make some changes.

Yet, when I read everyone's posts, I realize I'm falling off the homeschooling map, and I am struggling with some sadness over this issue. When we started homeschooling, we thought we'd homeschool all the way through h.s. Now that won't be happening. Dd's are enrolled in a private school 30 min. away from us; after researching our choices, this school seemed like the very best we could give them.

Still, I feel sad, left out (not intentionally by anyone on these boards!) and irrelevant. While everyone else is starting school with their kids, asking questions about the progymnasmata vs. traditional writing approaches, which Latin program to use (Henle, Wheelock's, Lingua Latina, Latin for Children) or algebra (Lial's, NEM, Saxon, Chalkdust), I'm . . . not doing any planning that way.

One thing I've become convinced of, while still reading everyone's posts and participating in the boards, is that my graduate program should be steered towards incorporating classical readings and methods as much as possible. My desire is to get a master's in English lit. or another comparable program that will enable me to be practical and get a job locally, teaching English at the h.s. or cc level. At the same time, I can't give up my dreams of seeing a classical school open here locally, or at least hope to steer future students in that direction, if at all possible. The state u. closest to where my kids will be attending school offers the masters in English lit., but absolutely no Latin. Another school further away offers at least Latin. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics, but have applied to one program and will apply to the other. Either drive is somewhat daunting---1 hour 15 min. total for the state u., 1 hour 30 min. (at least) for the preferred school. In my heart of hearts I think I'm really more of a language teacher than an English teacher. I'd like to learn Latin really well, but in our area, the only foreign language taught at present is Spanish. So---I need to be practical, but I still want to keep the dream alive, and I'm wondering if it's all possible without going to school for 10 more years! :D

My heart is still in homeschooling to a great degree, even though I think we've made the right choice for this year. My heart will always be in classical education, but we live in an area that couldn't sustain a bookstore ten years ago! There just doesn't seem to be much of a vision for that type of education here.

I'm also concerned for our three girls, especially the oldest. She's quieter and can be fairly introverted at times. I'm not worried at all about differences in doctrine between what we believe and the school. I'm more concerned about cliques and social issues and hoping they'll be accepted by the student body, especially the oldest, who struggled with that tremendously in third grade. (Which is why we started homeschooling in the first place. :) )

At any rate, I'm feeling a bit sad this morning and am asking for prayers, good wishes, positive thoughts, etc., for all the changes going on. Thanks for reading my lengthy post.

I hope it's OK if I still lurk around these boards and post from time to time. :)

I hope it's OK if I still lurk around these boards and post from time to time. :)

Oh, Michelle, I am in complete understanding of your feelings right now for, as you may recall, I'm in a very similar circumstance. Our girls start pubic school on August 25, and I am already waking up too early with anxiety for all the reasons you mention. I just have to trust that this, like the homeschooling which was, once, new and scary to us, will turn out fine. I know there will be some major concessions, but I'm holding onto the belief that this next chapter is meant to bring us some valuable life lessons and experiences that we'd not gain any other way. I can only hope, too, that there will be a lot of good in this somehow, and that I just can't see it quite yet.

I hope to still have time to spend here on occasion and that I won't feel like a total outsider. There's always the "afterschooling" boards, right? ;)

Peace to you, lady. I share your burden.

I hope both of you are pleasantly surprised and that your children thrive in school. Sending our 16 yos last yr was one of the best decisions we ever made for him. It took him about a month to adjust (he jumped in mid-yr and his background didn't mesh with where they were in some of the courses). He's hooked on school now and would never choose to come home on his own.

Michelle, enjoy your own adventure! I think it is wonderful. I know that if I went back to school now, I would have such a greater appreciation for the process than I did straight from high school. I would also have clearer vision of my goals/objectives for each class. I think you are going to love it!

Prayers for both you as you step into this new stage in your lives. :)

You may feel as though you are falling off the homeschooling map, but you are also beginning to draft a new map. It will take time to fill in those uncharted waters, but your map will be just as useful, just as necessary, just as valuable. Peace~

Ginger

home schooling only makes you a great parent if home schooling is best for your family. It takes courage to change directions in life, and that is a beautiful lesson for your children. take time to grieve, but keep your head up, indeed you are all headed toward new adventures....sounds like a voyage tail spoken by an old bard ~ how exciting. Best wishes.

your kind words are very much appreciated, and the prayers too, of course!

Yes, I'm trying to stay focused on the positive aspects of this. I know that the past two years have been difficult on the two older girls especially, with no homeschool support group and little opportunity for making friends. We've tried---really tried---through extra-curricular activities, but it just doesn't seem to be quite enough.

Doran, I knew you'd understand---I'll be praying for you and giving you virtual :grouphug: during this time of transition. Momof7, I'm so glad to hear your good report about your son! Both dh and I feel at peace about our decision, but it's strange---you can believe you've made the right decision but still have emotional struggles about different aspects! I'm going to trust that all girls, even the oldest, will make some new friends. My oldest and middle daughters are best friends, and they have one class together, so I think that will help ease the transition.

I can't say enough good things about the staff at the school. Never once have they made me feel "second class" because we've homeschooled. Their math teachers are very good (something I've lacked!) It's curriculum is very traditional and much closer to a classical format than our p.s. There's little to no "fluff". Their dual credit classes are through St. Louis University---a very good school. The teachers are very caring, and the guidance counselor and principal are top-notch.

Still, it's a bit scary. And I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to pursue my own education! The state u. doesn't seem to be in any big hurry processing applications. I was told that classes start August 25th but there's "still plenty of time"! I'm still hoping to pursue the other school---St. Louis University---because they offer Latin. I may do some coursework a bit closer to home and then transfer.

Thanks, everyone, for listening to me, and for the prayers and good wishes. They mean so much to me now.

:grouphug: Michelle and Doran! :grouphug:

Many blessings to each of you and your families on your new endeavor!

Yes, in less than a week we will no longer officially be homeschoolers. After dh suffered health issues last fall, we both decided it was time for me to return to grad. school. He's made a good recovery, but it became clear to both of us that we needed to make some changes.

Yet, when I read everyone's posts, I realize I'm falling off the homeschooling map, and I am struggling with some sadness over this issue. When we started homeschooling, we thought we'd homeschool all the way through h.s. Now that won't be happening. Dd's are enrolled in a private school 30 min. away from us; after researching our choices, this school seemed like the very best we could give them.

Still, I feel sad, left out (not intentionally by anyone on these boards!) and irrelevant. While everyone else is starting school with their kids, asking questions about the progymnasmata vs. traditional writing approaches, which Latin program to use (Henle, Wheelock's, Lingua Latina, Latin for Children) or algebra (Lial's, NEM, Saxon, Chalkdust), I'm . . . not doing any planning that way.

One thing I've become convinced of, while still reading everyone's posts and participating in the boards, is that my graduate program should be steered towards incorporating classical readings and methods as much as possible. My desire is to get a master's in English lit. or another comparable program that will enable me to be practical and get a job locally, teaching English at the h.s. or cc level. At the same time, I can't give up my dreams of seeing a classical school open here locally, or at least hope to steer future students in that direction, if at all possible. The state u. closest to where my kids will be attending school offers the masters in English lit., but absolutely no Latin. Another school further away offers at least Latin. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics, but have applied to one program and will apply to the other. Either drive is somewhat daunting---1 hour 15 min. total for the state u., 1 hour 30 min. (at least) for the preferred school. In my heart of hearts I think I'm really more of a language teacher than an English teacher. I'd like to learn Latin really well, but in our area, the only foreign language taught at present is Spanish. So---I need to be practical, but I still want to keep the dream alive, and I'm wondering if it's all possible without going to school for 10 more years! :D

My heart is still in homeschooling to a great degree, even though I think we've made the right choice for this year. My heart will always be in classical education, but we live in an area that couldn't sustain a bookstore ten years ago! There just doesn't seem to be much of a vision for that type of education here.

I'm also concerned for our three girls, especially the oldest. She's quieter and can be fairly introverted at times. I'm not worried at all about differences in doctrine between what we believe and the school. I'm more concerned about cliques and social issues and hoping they'll be accepted by the student body, especially the oldest, who struggled with that tremendously in third grade. (Which is why we started homeschooling in the first place. :) )

At any rate, I'm feeling a bit sad this morning and am asking for prayers, good wishes, positive thoughts, etc., for all the changes going on. Thanks for reading my lengthy post.

Michelle, I have not read all the responses, but I did want to let you know that you can still learn Latin even if the university you attend does not offer it. UVa (and many other universities around the country) offer intensive summer programs for Latin. Dh designed the course at UVa and they covered 2 years of undergraduate Latin in 8 weeks. So, don't despair. There are options.

Brigitte

((Michelle))

You could never be irrelevant!

I am wishing you and your family the very best as you start down a new path this fall.

And you had better keep posting! You've got years of homeschooling wisdom and experience under your belt, and we'd like to continue tapping into that resource. :D

Please let us know which graduate school you end up attending. I'll be praying that the logistics of getting 4 people to school and back every day will work beautifully for your family.

And when you're ready to start that classical school, if the folks in your neck of the woods still aren't interested, you have a friend in central Arkansas who would LOVE for you to pursue that endeavor around here. :D

Peace to you, Michelle! I'll be waiting to hear how your first week on your new schedule goes.

Scary moving into new territory, but you know you've given your girls the best foundation for life. They haven't had all the peer pressure these years, and are no doubt very sure of who they are. Hugs and prayers for both your families, yours and Doran's. :iagree::grouphug:

I can relate a wee bit... I had to stop homeschooling during and after my divorce. I kept coming here because there's such a variety of people with great ideas and insights and I couldn't stay away.

I think you will have lots to add here - your new experiences - because homeschoolers do grow up and then what do we do?? So, keep sharing your journey!

Bee

Part of the homeschool journey is the end, when the kids go off to a different school or to college or whatever else they need to pursue next, and we homeschooling parents are faced with the post-homeschooling life.

And it's important that we can discuss how that's done. Just like we see tons of posts on "how do I start homeschooling?", we all have that question of "how do I stop homeschooling?". Michelle and Doran, you're some of our trailblazers in that territory.

Also, Michelle, I love reading posts from you because I always secretly think, "Oh, how cool that she lives within driving distance from here and I could actually meet her someday!" Which is sort of stalker-ish, maybe, so I feel silly mentioning it.

Michelle (& Doran) - just want to say that your contributions here are extremely valuable and they will continue to be so even though you are no longer "officially" homeschooling. Many of the ladies here will, no doubt, benefit from hearing how your children made this transition and like Bee said, all homeschooled children eventually move on to something else.

Also, I believe all parents are homeschoolers to one degree or another. You will be just as interested in your children's educations as you ever were - you will just be coming at it from a different angle now. We all want to hear how it goes for you and your children and would certainly appreciate any insight you have to offer.

The wisdom you've acquired during your years as official homeschoolers will also be appreciated by all those who are just starting out and needing encouragement and perspective. Please, be all means, feel free to stick around and give advice and hugs.

(((Michelle))) What you are choosing to do is admirable. Your whole family is pulling together to change course in order to secure your future. I admire your courage and determination. You will be a wonderful professor or even classical school administrator some day.

I won't really be a homeschooler this fall either. Ds, my youngest, will be a senior and taking most of his classes at the cc. I will be teaching full time. At this point I still plan to hang out here, just probably not as much ;). The beauty of this board is its like-minded individuals who value quality education outside the ps structure. We love to have late night chats about silly things like 80's music and glitter. That's why I hang out here now and not at the high school board so much. I am here for the friendship and that will not change just because my ds is almost completely done. Please don't feel you need to move on all at once. We can help support you during your transition as you can in turn share your invaluable experiences with us. I'm sure there are many here who would like to choose the path you are choosing in your education. Your insights will be a blessing to many and your friendship will be a blessing to all. :grouphug:

Blessings to you and your family.

My heart will always be in classical education,

Because of your above quote, I hope you *do* stick around the boards, because *I* have benefitted from your advice several times!!!! Please????!!!!! Stay!!!!:)

I'm sure Doran feels like I do! I couldn't post much yesterday, because we're on our way to a family reunion and I have to log in on the motel computers.

I'm so grateful for these boards and for everyone on it! I will try to keep in touch as often as I can. Your prayers and good wishes mean so much to me.

Brigitte, I think you were the one who posted about the distance learning option for Latin. I'll definitely look into that. I'm so used to the traditional professor/lecture method that distance learning is something new to me, personally, even though my kiddos have done it.

I saw a post on the K-8 boards the other day asking about a program called Spanish for Children and I realized I'd never even heard of it! I wondered if it was by the same people who published Latin for Children. I guess I realized that my knowledge was going to be outdated, but hopefully (soon) it'll be replaced by other knowledge in whatever program I end up in.

Some day I hope our little town gets the vision for classical education. That would be great!

Thanks again, everyone, for the hugs and votes of confidence and the prayers!

I'm sure Doran feels like I do!

I couldn't agree more, Michelle. I didn't want to jump back onto your thread right away -- felt a bit like hijacking, though I know you understand -- but I was reading all these replies yesterday and enjoying that fuzzy feeling of belonging, kwim? It's hard to envision letting go of a community that still serves me in some way, so the thought of not coming here by virtue of the fact that I won't be homeschooling left me feeling low. Because, even though the questions won't be specifically about homeschooling anymore, I'm the kind of person with seemingly endless questions about educating, and parenting, about life! I gain so much insight from all the views expressed on any given topic, even when they don't line up directly with what I think are my views. The voices here help me refine my ideas, strengthen them, change them at times. This group broadens my understanding of humanity, and ultimately, of myself. That's invaluable!

Thanks everyone. Michelle, best wishes in your family's new adventure. I'm thinking it's going to be better than you ever dreamed possible! :001_smile: