Menu

Homeschool family finalists in Today Show talent search

MyThreeSons

Friends of mine found out that NBC was looking for a modern day von Trapp family of singers for some sort of promotion to go along with the live show starring Carrie Underwood this coming week. With very little notice, they threw together these two videos (see links below) and just met the deadline. They have been notified that they made the final three, and there will be some sort of a vote this week. These folks are a neat family of homeschoolers, who truly do sing together. There are six additional children not seen in the singing video -- five older and one younger. I love how the kids line up with the real von Trapps.

It sure would be nice to see homeschoolers portrayed in a positive light!

This is the singing video, in which they were asked to demonstrate that they can sing several styles of music:

And this is the interview video they were asked to submit: 

We don't yet know the details of the voting, but they are scheduled to have a brief segment on the Today Show tomorrow morning. 

Friends of mine found out that NBC was looking for a modern day von Trapp family of singers for some sort of promotion to go along with the live show starring Carrie Underwood this coming week. With very little notice, they threw together these two videos (see links below) and just met the deadline. They have been notified that they made the final three, and there will be some sort of a vote this week. These folks are a neat family of homeschoolers, who truly do sing together. There are six additional children not seen in the singing video -- five older and one younger. I love how the kids line up with the real von Trapps.

It sure would be nice to see homeschoolers portrayed in a positive light!

This is the singing video, in which they were asked to demonstrate that they can sing several styles of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SazVphdH8zE

And this is the interview video they were asked to submit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpH_H_nkqus

We don't yet know the details of the voting, but they are scheduled to have a brief segment on the Today Show tomorrow morning. 

This has been all over my FB wall today since they are a local family. I don't know them personally but I have several friends that do...........

You may know my pastor's family, then. His wife just had their fifth baby this weekend. 

I can't think of anyone off of the top of my head that had a baby this weekend. The pastor's wife at the church where our tutorial meets is way past having babies. The tutorial isn't sponsored by the church, we just rent their space.

I can't think of anyone off of the top of my head that had a baby this weekend. The pastor's wife at the church where our tutorial meets is way past having babies. The tutorial isn't sponsored by the church, we just rent their space.

Sorry -- the tutorial I'm thinking of doesn't meet at our church. I was just thinking that the one you go to might be the same one they do, but I didn't want to post too much publicly. I was trying to be circumspect, but I guess I went overboard, LOL.

Sorry -- the tutorial I'm thinking of doesn't meet at our church. I was just thinking that the one you go to might be the same one they do, but I didn't want to post too much publicly. I was trying to be circumspect, but I guess I went overboard, LOL.

Ugh.............. I just realized we were talking about DIFFERENT families. It is the Willis family that lives near us, not the Lloyds.......... The Willis family also homeschools, and several of my friends know them via homeschooling.

It's like the Today Show can't get past hsers who are not rather Dugger -size.

Well, to be fair, a von Trapp-like family would have to have at least seven children, right? And I'm not sure they even knew my friends had more kids than the ones on their audition video. Now, the Willis family had all of their kids in the video, from what I understand.

Oh, I'm sorry your friends didn't win!

They've had a fun time with it all. They have been on at least two local TV stations already and are doing another segment tomorrow. Really, they are just an ordinary family who love to sing. The Willis clan are truly professionals who have so much more experience. 

They've had a fun time with it all. They have been on at least two local TV stations already and are doing another segment tomorrow. Really, they are just an ordinary family who love to sing. The Willis clan are truly professionals who have so much more experience. 

That's great. What a neat experience. I favor the novices.  :001_smile:

That's great. What a neat experience. I favor the novices.  :001_smile:

I did, too,  :laugh: The winning family put on an amazing performance, both in their audition tape and in the live performance. But I kept thinking "the von Trapps didn't have all that showmanship. Their choreography was very simple, and they sang."