Menu

A man had to invent Thanksgiving

Moxie

Dh has learned to be really handy helping with Thanksgiving clean up because every year when we go around the table counting our blessings I would say how Thankful I was that I didn't have to do the cleaning up. It took a few years but this year I felt safe to not mention it.

That is pure genius.

In our family, I always joke that next year will be "Mom's Perfect Thanksgiving." Pizza, beer, football, and snacks on disposable plates.

Dh is horrified. But I got the kids to promise that if I die before him, the next Thanksgiving would be my perfect one, no matter what he says.

Well, the result of our little argument was that he's doing the entire thing, so I'm good! We went to our friends' house yesterday and DH was upset he wouldn't have leftovers so wanted his own meal today. Since I "complained," he decided to do it himself and ban me from the kitchen. He is teaching me a lesson about how easy it is. He spent four hours in there last night and is in there again this morning. I'm in bed. I'm learning.

:lol:  :hurray:

No, we didn't invent toilet placement. If we did, the whole thing would hinge off the wall and every bathroom would have a floor drain to work with the Mr. Pressure Washer in the hall closet. Families with at least two sons would get trough urinals. Stainless steel.

That would be nice

Does it have a nice big drain in the floor like the Danish bathroom I used. Easy cleaning. :)

I really want this along with the pressure washer

Lesson learned. DH is clearly best at preparing Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sitting by the fire with DS watching Charlie Brown and DH is making turkey broth.

Watching Charlie Brown with your son sounds really pleasant. :001_smile:  Will Dh be preparing Thanksgiving in future years? ;)

Lesson learned. DH is clearly best at preparing Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sitting by the fire with DS watching Charlie Brown and DH is making turkey broth.

Glad to hear he's teachable!  In the family I married into all the women cook for the Mother's Day family gathering. No amount of hinting, arguing, crankiness, or pleading on my part has caused any male to lift a finger. Next year I'm going up to my moms so I can relax.

Glad to hear he's teachable!  In the family I married into all the women cook for the Mother's Day family gathering. No amount of hinting, arguing, crankiness, or pleading on my part has caused any male to lift a finger. Next year I'm going up to my moms so I can relax.

:eek: :svengo: So I hope their Father's Day tradition is having all the men catch up on all the improvement projects around the house - cleaning the gutters and fixing the leaky faucet?  'Cause if everyone insisted Mother's Day is about cooking for everyone else, that's what I'd be suggesting for them.  Or if you've got a bunch of young kids, ditching for the day to see a movie or have a pedicure so he can have his Daddy time.

That's okay. America is after all a teenager and we all know about THEM :laugh: :lol: ;) :001_tt2:

Which reminds me, can we borrow the car to go over to Vald's and play xbox?

Oh, and Angela Merkel's mom said she asked her if you'd bring brownies for the next G8.  I said sure.  I think they need, like, a couple thousand.

Which reminds me, can we borrow the car to go over to Vald's and play xbox?

Oh, and Angela Merkel's mom said she asked her if you'd bring brownies for the next G8.  I said sure.  I think they need, like, a couple thousand.

As you have not turned 18 you can walk, ride the bus, or take your moped to Vlads. You and Angie are welcome to be here while you do your baking, I however will not be baking.

As you have not turned 18 you can walk, ride the bus, or take your moped to Vlads. You and Angie are welcome to be here while you do your baking, I however will not be baking.

Yeah, but Vlad lives in Moscow in the snow, and....well....Canada's mom let'a her drive....and.....oh, whatever. I'm going to my room to play cyberwar with North Korea.

Camping is not a vacation. It's an anti-vacation.

I'm not picky, I don't need expensive, but vacation = I don't cook, I don't clean.

By this definition, I never go on vacation. Even our European travels involve my cooking and cleaning because we stay with family and our food issues preclude too much restaurant food.

By this definition, I never go on vacation. Even our European travels involve my cooking and cleaning because we stay with family and our food issues preclude too much restaurant food.

Ah, but that's why camping is a vacation, because it's the only extended time when I don't cook!  Not that our role-reversals are for everyone.

Ah, but that's why camping is a vacation, because it's the only extended time when I don't cook!  Not that our role-reversals are for everyone.

My dh does almost all of the cooking when we are camping. Which is funny because at home he rarely cooks. We also only camp in Yurts or cabins. Tents were a disaster. lol

Two years ago, I told the kids (late teens all) that they were each responsible for cooking one dish, and that they would take turns in the kitchen preparing it, and that I would be there all day to consult and work on other things.  Since then I've trimmed that back to everyone prepares a dish, myself included. 

We do this, too.  My family knows that there is no way I am cooking an entire Thanksgiving meal by myself while they go off and enjoy their day.  No way.  I watched my mom and my mil do that - work themselves to exhaustion while the men/kids relaxed.  This year there were enough helping hands that I didn't have to fix a single dish!  

I'd rather sit and watch football any day than cook for hours or days on end just for one meal.  :)

My dh does almost all of the cooking when we are camping. Which is funny because at home he rarely cooks. We also only camp in Yurts or cabins. Tents were a disaster. lol

Nope, no tents, thank you. Did that in boy scouts and it's checked off the list. We bought a barebones trailer that is a tent on a box, but has queen beds and outlets.