Menu

I'm at a loss... sort of. (Health/weightloss gurus weigh in! heh)

Xuzi

I'm at a loss. For the past 18 months I've been yo-yo'ing the same 5 pounds, and I don't really know what other healthy changes to make in my life that might help get them off. Here's what I feel like I'm doing right:

*Eat whole, non-processed foods 95% of the time. Lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats.

*Exercise (both cardio and resistance) 5-6 days a week, for 45-60 minutes at a time.

*Count my calories to keep them within a 1400-1600 cal/day range. (I've gone above and below that for periods of time as well, and it hasn't made a difference)

*Drink lots of water.

*Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night.

I did even try going organic over the summer, but the only thing that went down was my bank balance. :p

I just don't know what to do to get these last 10 pounds off that I want to lose (I'm 155, 5'6" would like to get to 145, which I've weighed before, just before I had my last baby 4 years ago). I know I have a lot of muscle on my body, from the resistance training, but I also have a lot of fat on my stomach (I'm an apple) that just won't budge.

I don't want to do anything drastic though. I tried going low-carb a couple of years ago and lost a lot of weight, but also had an almost constant low-grade headache. Now I focus on doing "lower-carb", limiting my carbs to those that come from my fruits and veggies, and very occasionally some sugar.

I'm just at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?

I tried going low-carb a couple of years ago and lost a lot of weight, but also had an almost constant low-grade headache. Now I focus on doing "lower-carb", limiting my carbs to those that come from my fruits and veggies, and very occasionally some sugar.

I'm just at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?

My two cents:  it depends on how low-carb you want to go.  If you are planning to go all the way down to the point where your body switches over to burning fat instead of carbs as your primary energy source (a.k.a. "nutritional ketosis", somewhere in the vicinity of 50-ish g carb per day), then you need to supplement sodium and other electrolytes, as these are excreted at a much faster rate for "fat-burners" than for "carb-burners" (thus the recommendation to drink broth on a low-carb diet).  Either insufficient electrolytes in the case of fat-burning, or insufficient carbs in the case of carb-burning, can result in that headache.  *If* you are planning to continue running on carbs as your primary energy source, some books recommend going no lower than 150 grams per day for purposes of brain energy.  The same books suggest that there is a bad window - too many carbs to be fat-burning but too few carbs for your brain to run on for a carb-burner - though I think the parameters of that window differ between individuals.  Last, if you do go all the way to ketosis, make sure you increase your fat intake significantly, both for purposes of energy (mental and physical) and for satiety.

I've been eating LCHF (emphasis on not neglecting the HF) for about 11 months now, and the sodium/electrolyte issue seems to be the easiest aspect to miss, outside of adjusting your carbs-vs-fat intake.  I prefer to keep protein amounts the same either way.  Also, for me, going really low on carbs was helpful early on, to shorten up the switcing-over stage, but these days I can go higher with my carbs and still be where I want to be - I haven't tracked lately, but 60-70g carb has not been a problem.

Eta, I do not count calories.  I count grams of carbs only.  When I track with myfitnesspal.com, I track it all, of course, but I haven't had to do that for a long time.  Myfitnesspal.com may be a good place to start; you can adjust the goals to whatever you like.

I'd cut all grains and dairy, but just cutting one might help greatly.

Idk why but eating either makes me bloat bad. I can have one piece of pie and literally "gain" 10 pounds and have a problem buttoning my lose jeans. If I don't eat anything else with grain or dairy, I've "lost" the 10 lbs again.

Don't know if that helps you or not.

I use MyFitnessPal daily. Usually my carb/fat/protein ratio comes to about a third of each. Here's an example of a typical day for me:

Breakfast: Omelette made with two whole eggs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and basil, cooked using coconut oil.

Morning snack: 1/2 cup full-fat cottage cheese with 1/4 blackberries

Lunch: Salad with 1 C romain lettuce, 1 C spinach, chopped radishes, chopped cucumbers, 2 oz. of chicken breast, and dressing (also sometimes raisins)

Afternoon snack: 1 oz. full-fat cheddar cheese, small banana

Dinner varies, usually it's a protein with a veggie and sometimes a starch, like last night we had meat loaf with roasted broccoli, and the night before it was teriyaki chicken with asparagus and rice; other times it's more carb-heavy, like spaghetti and meatballs, or quesadillas and black bean soup.

What are your protein/carb/fat ratios?

Dairy halts weight loss in some people, fruit and carbs does the same.

Personally, for me, grains tend to slow it when I'm trying to lose, but not my carb count quite as much. Have you tried Paleo or a variation thereof? Not go super low-carb (less than 20g causes headaches for me) but around 50 carbs works great for me (5'5", 130lbs).

What are your protein/carb/fat ratios?

Dairy halts weight loss in some people, fruit and carbs does the same.

Personally, for me, grains tend to slow it when I'm trying to lose, but not my carb count quite as much. Have you tried Paleo or a variation thereof? Not go super low-carb (less than 20g causes headaches for me) but around 50 carbs works great for me (5'5", 130lbs).

Is that ALL dairy, including eggs? I have no idea what I'd eat for breakfast if I couldn't have eggs or oatmeal. :lol:

I've been struggling with the same stubborn 10lbs., and I don't know if adding more calories is the answer. Swimming 3x a week for an hour each session I am more fit, but the 10lbs. are still there. A solution I am trying: Along with adding intervals to my swim, I am adding walk/running on the days I don't swim. Decades ago I used interval training for cycling. Intervals, burst of intensity combined with short periods of rest, does make one faster. I am not a runner, but I am a walker. The walk/run intrigues me. Even if I don't lose those 10lbs. I will be in better shape.

Be hungry a bit. Learn to like reaching the feeling of physical hunger. Then just eat a small to medium sized meal; not to full, just satisfied.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I'm a firm believer that we don't need as many calories as we think we need.  YMMV but this works for me and when I adopt this attitude and practice, the pounds come off nicely. 

I would check out the coach calorie website. They have some good articles. I have just started with their approach. I am in the same boat. I have 20 pounds to lose and its mostly belly. I have only lost about 10 in the past 18 months. Much of that time was spent losing the same few pounds over and over and over.

Be hungry a bit. Learn to like reaching the feeling of physical hunger. Then just eat a small to medium sized meal; not to full, just satisfied.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I'm a firm believer that we don't need as many calories as we think we need.  YMMV but this works for me and when I adopt this attitude and practice, the pounds come off nicely. 

Yes, I'm wondering if you are allowing yourself to get hungry.  Are you hungry when you eat breakfast or do you just eat it because it's breakfast time?   Are you hungry when you snack?

I lost 18 pounds on a program that advocated (among other things) only eating when physically hungry.  That could include delaying (not skipping) breakfast.  Once hungry, eat slowly just until satisfied.  Then, wait to get hungry again before eating again.  It took some adjusting but it worked well once I got used to it.  

Yes, I'm wondering if you are allowing yourself to get hungry.  Are you hungry when you eat breakfast or do you just eat it because it's breakfast time?   Are you hungry when you snack?

I lost 18 pounds on a program that advocated (among other things) only eating when physically hungry.  That could include delaying (not skipping) breakfast.  Once hungry, eat slowly just until satisfied.  Then, wait to get hungry again before eating again.  It took some adjusting but it worked well once I got used to it.  

And it's not just for weight loss but a great way to maintain and live.  My sister has eaten like this for years and looks great.  I'm not as successful as she but I know that if I need to lose weight, it's how it's going to come off.  I've lost 30+/- pounds 2-3 different times in my life doing this.  I gain it back because I don't stick with it.  My fault, not the fault of eating this way. It's a healthy way to live, both physically and spiritually (at least that's what I've experienced).  I get enough nutrients because when I do eat, it's usually a wide variety of more healthful foods than what I eat if I'm not being careful in this way. 

How are your clothes fitting? As someone said the scale can be a poor measurement tool. I weigh more than my size would indicate because I have become quite toned. I'd just try cutting the sugar and upping the protein (ex6 oz chicken breast on salad). This keeps you full longer. I myself am not low carb ( that was a disaster) but I definitely get most of mine from F&V. YMMV

I can't wear most of the clothes I wore when I was a few pounds lighter, and it's the midsection where they're the tightest. There haven't been any additional babies to explain the change in my waist, its all weight.

I do usually feel hungry when I eat, but I do enjoy eating what I consider a "filling" meal/snack. I'll try eating just till satisfied and see if that makes a difference.

1. Try taking a walk each morning before breakfast. Not a power-exercise walk, just a moderate stroll. If you're able to go for 15-20 minutes that would be great. Bring the kids with you if necessary and they will love an outdoor start to their day.

This type of low-exertion exercise prior to eating in the morning can help with fat loss.

2. Also, you might want to try eliminating a snack if you aren't truly hungry.

3. There is a wonderful book called Foundation by Dr. Eric Goodman and Peter Park. It would be worth taking a look at it to understand how to develop your core muscles (specifically your back and posterior chain muscles). I think you would find this would help with your stomach over time.

4. Make sure your exercise program is varied...mix things up a bit to fool your body. It is also fun! For example, instead of working out the same amount of time each day, try doing 1 1/2 hours one day; then only 30 minutes the next. But make those 30 minutes very intense. Keep your body guessing. Same with the actual exercises you are doing - change up your cardio, substitute in body weight strength training for a day or two instead of weights, skip your normal workout and do yoga once a week. In other words, keep each week somewhat different. Then your body doesn't have a chance to get "used to" whatever you are doing, because it varies so much.

Hope that helps!

Whole30 was huge for me in those last 5-10 pounds. I did it at the beginning of the year and have done a modified version of it since the 30 days were up. Love not counting calories. Book that goes with this is It Starts With Food. Or their website is whole9. While it wasn't that different from how I already ate, it was different enough to make a difference.

I've found that the 5:2 diet helped me shift pounds when I was close to my goal weight.  It hasn't been quick, but I've lost 10 pounds since January, taking me from  144 down to 134 (at 5'4").  The video that inspired the diet is here.  The website is here and there is also a book.

Great video, just finished watching. 

Let us know, okay?  I had my bloodwork done last March and am now purposing to lose 30ish pounds by next April/May, largely through calorie restriction like this. It'll be interesting to see what happens with my numbers. It's funny -- the Orthodox faith is a 5:2 lifestyle as we fast on Wednesdays and Fridays.  Usually (for me) it has just meant not eating the things we're not supposed to eat on those days, but I know for many it includes eating just one meal a day in addition to that. 

Not being snarky just making an observation that may be helpful.  You not knowing that eggs aren't dairy is a huge indicator to me that you don't really understand nutrition.   I suggest that you reeducate yourself on what all goes into your body and what your body actually needs.  Don't just plug your foods into myfitnesspal and see the results. Knowing what foods contain nutrients and belong to what food groups can help a lot when its time to pick what you eat.  If you know how those nutrients work in your body then you'll have a better understanding of why you can't get rid of belly fat (too many carbs in most cases.)

You not knowing eggs aren't dairy makes me wonder if you know what veggies to avoid/limit if you are trying to lower your carbs. Or if you know what good fats and bad fats are.  It is not just about the calories you eat but what those calories consist of.

Not being snarky just making an observation that may be helpful.  You not knowing that eggs aren't dairy is a huge indicator to me that you don't really understand nutrition...

I've seen eggs lumped in with dairy in different ways.  It's not necessarily an indicator that she doesn't understand nutrition. Of course they don't come from cows, as dairy products do, but often they are included together with milk products in lists of certain types of foods.  I've seen things like "milk, yogurt, cheese and eggs." It's probably more something like that.   

I've seen eggs lumped in with dairy in different ways.  It's not necessarily an indicator that she doesn't understand nutrition. Of course they don't come from cows, as dairy products do, but often they are included together with milk products in lists of certain types of foods.  I've seen things like "milk, yogurt, cheese and eggs." It's probably more something like that.   

Yes, thank you. I realize they're not technically dairy, but they are lumped in with "dairy products" in lots of diets I've read about, which is why I asked if it was included with the Whole 30 restrictions.

I used to be a fitness instructor, and have read many books by different authors about nutrition, so while I may not know as much as a trained nutritionist, I do know something about it. ;)

Yes, thank you. I realize they're not technically dairy, but they are lumped in with "dairy products" in lots of diets I've read about, which is why I asked if it was included with the Whole 30 restrictions.

I used to be a fitness instructor, and have read many books by different authors about nutrition, so while I may not know as much as a trained nutritionist, I do know something about it. ;)

If any diet lumps eggs in with dairy its a diet that should be ignored in my opinion.  

If any diet lumps eggs in with dairy its a diet that should be ignored in my opinion.  

I don't think it's as bad as all that. In our faith, we fast from certain categories of food regularly. One of the categories, used during one week of the year, is "dairy and eggs." Just lumping something together for sake of ease doesn't make for bad nutritional advice, right? It's just a grouper of some foods together. 

OP When you say you do cardio 5-6 days a week.... do you consume those calories back (as MFP suggests) or do you not include the caloric loss for working out in the 1500-1600 calories per day?  Unless you are slender or pretty short, 1500 calories even if you eat back the exercise calories seems low to me.

I think it's incredibly insulting to say she doesn't' understand nutrition.   What smug nutrition experts we have here. It's a very common belief. She may have even assumed the person who said "no dairy" meant that.  And it's sold in the dairy case for goodness sakes.  Not that big of a deal.

I don't think it's as bad as all that. In our faith, we fast from certain categories of food regularly. One of the categories, used during one week of the year, is "dairy and eggs." Just lumping something together for sake of ease doesn't make for bad nutritional advice, right? It's just a grouper of some foods together. 

But your faith is not doing so for nutritional reasons I assume.  Dairy and eggs are very different. They consist of very different nutrients and your body digests and reacts to them very differently.  If there is a diet that restricts both those things then fine.  But to lump them together as a similar group in terms of restriction is not good.  One would imagine that a diet explains why you restrict certain groups.  You could not possibly give the same reason for restricting them since they are so vastly different, hence lumping them together in the same group would make no sense.

OP When you say you do cardio 5-6 days a week.... do you consume those calories back (as MFP suggests) or do you not include the caloric loss for working out in the 1500-1600 calories per day?  Unless you are slender or pretty short, 1500 calories even if you eat back the exercise calories seems low to me.

I think it's incredibly insulting to say she doesn't' understand nutrition.   What smug nutrition experts we have here. It's a very common belief. She may have even assumed the person who said "no dairy" meant that.  And it's sold in the dairy case for goodness sakes.  Not that big of a deal.

I wasn't trying to be smug.  And I never claimed to be a nutrition expert.  But it does stand to reason that not knowing something as simple as eggs not being a dairy product would indicate you may not know other simple nutritional things and that could be what is holding her back.  If that is not the case then she can ignore my suggestion to educate herself.  But its not smug of me to give that advice seeing as she is a complete stranger asking for advice so I have no actual idea how educated in a balance diet she is.

I can't wear most of the clothes I wore when I was a few pounds lighter, and it's the midsection where they're the tightest. There haven't been any additional babies to explain the change in my waist, its all weight.

I do usually feel hungry when I eat, but I do enjoy eating what I consider a "filling" meal/snack. I'll try eating just till satisfied and see if that makes a difference.

i really hate to be the one to say this, but the change in your waist is very likely to be...age. The difficulty losing weight...age. Everyone wants it to be a simple matter of calories in, out, and exercise. It goes way beyond that. Not saying that it can't be done, but it is not quite so simple for many people. Good luck! 

Adding in: I gained a lot of weight due to changes that age brought on. No diet made any difference. No amount of exercise made any difference. I finally just quit trying. As I am approaching 50, weight started leaving. Yet another age relation? Probably.

I wasn't trying to be smug.  And I never claimed to be a nutrition expert.  But it does stand to reason that not knowing something as simple as eggs not being a dairy product would indicate you may not know other simple nutritional things and that could be what is holding her back.  If that is not the case then she can ignore my suggestion to educate herself.  But its not smug of me to give that advice seeing as she is a complete stranger asking for advice so I have no actual idea how educated in a balance diet she is.

Not knowing that eggs aren't classified as dairy doesn't mean she doesn't know anything about eggs.  Just like a lot of people say corn is a vegetable. Most people, even ones who say that, understand it to be a starch (if not technically a grain).

"Educate yourself' and "you don't really understand nutrition" based on a sentence is pretty harsh.

Not knowing that eggs aren't classified as dairy doesn't mean she doesn't know anything about eggs.  Just like a lot of people say corn is a vegetable. Most people, even ones who say that, understand it to be a starch (if not technically a grain).

"Educate yourself' and "you don't really understand nutrition" based on a sentence is pretty harsh.

Ignoring the misquote here.  In my experience most people do not know that corn (and potatoes for that matter) are vegetables that should be limited if trying to go lower carb.  Unless they have specifically been on a diet that explained this. So people think eat more vegetable and go for those over leafy greens.  This is just my experience while helping many on their weight loss journeys. Anyways, none of this has to do with OP issue so I'm done with this back and forth with you.  If I offended OP she can let me know and I can rectify that with her.