Menu

Would you eat this? Warning: This could be disturbing

Parrothead

So tonight dh is making salad and intending to put grilled chicken on it.  About five minutes into the prep he calls dd to bring him a bandaid.  I asked him if he needed to go to the ER for stitches.  He said, "No, I can't find it."  Of course, I had to get up at that point to see what is going on.

He was using the mandolin slicer to slice carrots. He was poking around the lettuce in the bowl looking for the tip of his finger which he sliced off thinking we could eat the salad if he found what he cut off.

I couldn't do it.  Nope. No way.  Not happening.  I made chicken salad out of the chicken to put on buns, and tossed the beginnings of the green salad that contained the body part. 

So if you could have found the tip, and fished it out, would you have eaten the salad?

Are we talking about a teeny tiny bit of flesh? Was there a lot of blood? When I shaved off the end of my finger under similar circumstances, there was no blood (though I didn't misplace it in the salad either.

Assuming the salad has not been covered in blood and there is just a little nib of skin and flesh that may or may not be in the salad, I would wash out the salad, strain it and eat the salad.

If it is not serious enough to merit medical attention then it is not serious enough for me to throw away food. If it is serious enough for medical attention then who has an appetite?

Believe it or not, I need more information before answering. Was he bleeding? Are we talking a small sliver of skin? I'm assuming it wasn't much since he didn't need anything sewn shut? If we're talking no blood, little sliver of skin, then yup I'd probably eat it.

Really, I've travelled in the third world. Little refrigeration, dishes that included "meat" with no further information, and many many things I couldn't recognize at all. Ate all of it and miraculously never got sick. It takes a LOT before I won't eat something.