Menu

If you're an atheist or agnostic, but regard yourself as spiritual

Hannah

Can you explain what you mean by "spiritual"? One of the things I missed coming out of the Catholic church was the liturgy, the ancient rituals, the feeling of community throughout time and place. In a way, the liturgy, and all the symbolism in the church (and oh my, it's all symbolic!) was like holding on to an intangible ribbon, knowing it flowed back through history, and would continue to flow into the future. I knew I couldn't feel it with my hands, I couldn't see it with my eyes, I couldn't smell the scent or hear the "music," but nevertheless, the rituals felt like they were connecting me to something... bigger? Inclusive? 

I haven't lost that, I've simply found other things that have that same identity. None of them are organized, it's all spontaneous, but that means it's constant. It's a matter of me reflecting on something when I become aware of the idea, rather than setting apart a time to focus on this idea exclusively. I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at, so I'll not babble on.

:)

I too was going to ask what you meant by spiritual. I think "spirituality" is very individual, and so that's a hard task.

I have friends who are atheist and Buddhist. They have a religion, but I don't know if they consider themselves spiritual (that would be an interesting question).

If I had to define myself, I would probably settle on agnostic (though I often use atheist when asked because it's easier. More cut and dry), but I do not consider myself spiritual. However, my idea of spiritual involves the idea of supernatural, and I don't really believe in anything "extra." What I do believe in is the interconnectedness of life, human and otherwise, and the power that creates--and some people might call that God, or think it is spiritual. I don't think there's anything spiritual about it; I see it as quite tangible.  And see how I just muddied the waters? :laugh:

I think the UU church is probably home to a lot of people in this gray zone of agnostic/atheist but wanting something else, whether that something else is spiritual or not I think is harder to pin down and likely different for everybody.

ETA: to kinda sorta answer your question from my perspective, if we're going to call what I "believe" spirituality, what this looks like for me is the Quaker church if I'm feeling like something organized. I think actions speak louder than church services, so for me, you can't beat a Friends meeting. Services in (mostly) silence and a lot of social justice and volunteerism in the community.

I have an altar set up in my room that I alternate between paying proper attention to and pretending to ignore. I celebrate the Wheel of the Year. That's rather like what Alain de Botton said in 'Religion for Atheists' about making an appointment to think about stuff. I garden. I eat. I read books. I read Tarot. (That's a spiritual but not religious thing, if the difference makes any sense.) I live in the bush so nature is kind of in your face whenever you look out the window or go to put washing on the line, or run out of electricity because it has been overcast for too many days, or run out of water because it won't rain...

This is a good book: http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Hunger-Integrating-Ritual-Daily/dp/1844095606

I agree that the definition of spirituality is very individual.

I'm looking for practical ways to direct time for reflection and to focus on the good stuff and the joys of life that give meaning. I find myself just operating and getting through the daily grind without really focussing on the small pleasures or connecting with people. For me, its not about the supernatural. As you referenced Rosie, "making an appointment to think about stuff".

Maybe one way of asking this is how do you go about ensuring that you live intentionally.

Well. I get out of bed. If I didn't do that intentionally every morning, I would stay there where it is comfy. :p

Maybe you need to list which small pleasures and people you are forgetting to notice.

Sometimes I put a card or picture up on the wall above my altar of something I ought to be paying attention to. It's kind of a grown up version of dd's memory wall. 

Well I think this is different for everyone.  I personally don't apply the word "spiritual" to myself, but I have used the word "reverent."  For me, I read poetry and literature and science journals, I make a point of taking walks and adventures out in the world, creating things with my own hands, helping the kids learn and grow, connecting with service/charity, family dinners and our own traditions.  Learning something every day.  It's really for me just living life, but being mindful that that's what I'm doing, and that it's amazing. 

Maybe one way of asking this is how do you go about ensuring that you live intentionally.

Ah, now I getcha. I don't think scheduling time is necessary, personally. I think one can learn to interpret events differently than they've been taught as a child. I think part of it is learning how to identify just how you interpret these events, then think about them logically, separating the emotional component. Think about why the emotions are correlated, and find out what function that serves. Brainstorm ways of serving that same function in other ways. I don't know if that's making sense, but it's what I've learned to do, but I can't think of an example right now.

I am not sure I'd use the word spirituality, but I try to live consciously and with awareness. I try to be aware that I'm making choices all.the.time. whether it's the origin of the food we eat or how I treat the shopkeeper who is ignoring me while she chats on the phone. I've picked a couple of ideas to guide the children, and we talk about those wherever appropriate. I try to notice the beautiful day, to appreciate the feelings that follow a good meal or exercise or the morning's first cup of coffee. I find that rituals are helpful in giving meaning to life, just small things, like dinner at the table, favourite meals, family read-alouds, family movies etc. I guess that sums up my idea of spirituality or my philosophy - this moment matters.

The main ideas I try to instil in the children are:

* a quote from the Dalai Llama ("Be kind wherever possible. It is always possible.")

* THINK before you speak - Is it True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, Kind

* and, of course, The Golden Rule

Of course, I fail often and repeatedly in living up to my own values, but that's what I'm working towards.

I'm looking for practical ways to direct time for reflection and to focus on the good stuff and the joys of life that give meaning. I find myself just operating and getting through the daily grind without really focussing on the small pleasures or connecting with people. For me, its not about the supernatural. As you referenced Rosie, "making an appointment to think about stuff".

I find that I do it by gardening (flowers) and walking.  I notice birds and worms and flowers and trees and the light on the fields...  It makes me more able to be good to people - I don't know how that works.

L

Hannah for me the weekly CLF service is a way to think intentionally. I like that they have different themes each month and that the themes cause me to think about different things in a directed way. For me that is my definition of spirituality.

Thank you!  I've taken a look at the archives and will give it a try.

I'm looking for practical ways to direct time for reflection and to focus on the good stuff and the joys of life that give meaning.

One very small thing: I love the radio program "On Being"

www.onbeing.org

You can listen to many archived shows on any number of topics directly from the website or free on iTunes, if that's more convenient for you.

One very small thing: I love the radio program "On Being"

www.onbeing.org

You can listen to many archived shows on any number of topics directly from the website or free on iTunes, if that's more convenient for you.

Two thumbs up for On Being; some TED talks are good too.

It sounds like the OP is talking about mindfullness, which can be pursued many ways. Eckhart Tolle has it about right to me, although I can't listen to him speak without dozing off - not from content, but delivery.

My appointment to think about stuff is reading a passage from 365 Tao daily. Here's a link to the US Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/365-Tao-Meditations-Ming-Dao-Deng/dp/0062502239/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384348539&sr=8-1&keywords=365+tao

I also try to fit short bits of meditation in my day, and by short, I mean about 2 minutes. I'm not a very good meditator and my house isn't often peaceful, so that's what I can do. I find that those 2 minute sessions are very useful for me. I picked up this tip from a link someone posted here and that I can't find, but the basic idea was to start small. One of the meditation time slots suggested was while brushing your teeth and I started that.

HSDad, your mention of Eckhart Tolle made me remember that another place to get a little bit of a mindfulness fix is "Sounds True" ... they release a free weekly newsletter w/audio. Additionally, many of the Sounds True materials are available in my Library system. :)

10Q.  Googling now.   :thumbup1:

I too tend to avoid the term "spiritual" because of its supernatural connotations. Often people think that either you are spiritual, meaning you think there is "something more out there" that you can tap into for warm feelings, or you are a depressed atheist in a meaningless world.

I think it unlikely that there is something more, but I still find ways to experience awe and wonder. It's true that I attended my church for years even after losing my faith because the experience was still the easiest way to feel nourished. It was in a beautiful gothic building with a liturgical service and concert-level classical music. The god stuff finally outweighed the good and I quit going. I've found it easier than I thought though to still practice noticing beauty and appreciating it.

I don't live in a grandly beautiful area (no mountains etc.) but there are little spots of beauty everywhere if I look. I try and notice and appreciate acts of kindness we do for each other, like letting a car merge or even just a smile for a stranger. I garden which is huge for me. I try and keep my house reasonably nice because it saps me to be surrounded by ugliness. I try and appreciate the moment instead of thinking about what is coming next - very hard for me but I'm trying. I've meditated before, but haven't in awhile.

I'm always puzzled when people talk like the only honest atheist is the one wallowing in existential angst. Life can be hard, but there is so much beauty and kindness and things that blow your mind in a good way if you just take a few seconds to notice them. Our lives may not have some sort of outside meaning imposed on them, but we have the opportunity to make our lives meaningful.

I'm always puzzled when people talk like the only honest atheist is the one wallowing in existential angst. Life can be hard, but there is so much beauty and kindness and things that blow your mind in a good way if you just take a few seconds to notice them. Our lives may not have some sort of outside meaning imposed on them, but we have the opportunity to make our lives meaningful.

Like, like, a million times, like!