Menu

What do I want for Christmas!!!

JustEm

This question is always sooo hard for me to answer.  I never feel like I need or want anything because I spend so much time thinking about others that my wants and needs rarely enter my mind.  But my fil just sent me a text asking to send him lists for all of us.  The kids lists are done, my dh put one thing on his list but I'll be able to add a few things to help fil.  But I don't have any idea what to put down for me. HELP!!!

A little about me so maybe you can give me ideas I'd never think of on my own. I'm a very practical person. I don't collect things because I don't see the point of having things just sit on a shelf.  I like board games.  I hate the thought of other people buying me clothing.  I love reading fiction and nonfiction (not picky) but I hate romantic/sappy stories.  I'm into Sci fi and fantasy (any book series suggestions?  I loved Game of thrones series, dark tower series.) Also, anything that is going to make running my household easier is a plus so any suggestions on organizational tools or kitchen tools you couldn't live without?

Thanks!

How about an immersion blender?  I say this only because I never think to buy myself one when I am wandering the aisles of a store that would carry such a thing, but several times a year, I'll be cooking along and think, "Dangit, I really need an immersion blender right this minute."  

Or how about upgrades to everyday things you already have?  A good quality set of measuring cups or spoons to replace the broken, mismatched sets that are probably in your drawer (or is that just me?), or a really excellent knife, or a new grill pan for pancakes (mine always warp--I could use a new one right now).  That way, the gift is both practical (hey, measuring cups!) and a tiny bit splurgey.

Are there any high end perishable goods that you don't usually purchase for yourself? Fancy chocolates, fruit-of-the-month, wine, expensive cheeses, even candles or soaps? I LOVE consumable gifts because they are a treat and I don't have to find a home for them. I tell my kids that I'd be happy with ANYTHING from Crabtree and Evelyn. Do you have a favorite store where he can't go wrong? Godiva? William Sanoma? Need any attachments for the Kitchenaid or Cuisinart? Can you ask for a Le Creuset Dutch oven and have it count for the next 3-4 years?

My in-laws make fun of me because I always ask for practical gifts, but the best gift of all for me is not having to spend money on things we need (I'm such a cheapskate!).

I like organizational products too. I would LOVE to get a set of these for my "random kitchen utensil" drawer: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2012/02/iheart-giveaway-drawerdecor-organizers.html!

Also these shopping bags made to fit inside the grocery cart: http://www.reuseit.com/totes-and-market-baskets/reisenthel-reisenthel-easybags.htm.

Is there anything you would like to do instead of have? E.g., concert or show, amusement park, or even movie tickets or a gift card for your favorite restaurant (bonus if they include a coupon for free babysitting)? Or a one-night getaway at a local hotel for you and dh? Registration for a class you'd like to take?

I also like to get gift cards for iTunes and Shutterfly, so I can make photo books for each year with our family snapshots.

I actually needed to get started on a list, too. Thanks for giving me a shove! :laugh:

Thank you for the great ideas. I think I have a good idea of what I can ask for.  I have an immersion blender, which was actually a gift my fil gave me 2 years ago, but it gave me ideas for other kitchen things I need.  I think he gets sick of getting me practical gifts but really those type of things make me the happiest!! In the past he has gotten me a fantastic roasting pan, a food processor, a cast iron skillet, and a vacuum!  

I wish I could ask for a Le Creuset Dutch oven but I just feel so guilty because of the price, that is one of those things I'm saving up for so maybe a gift card to help pay for it (he doesn't like giving money because he wants to make sure it won't be spent on other people's needs instead of myself... he knows me too well! )

What other things do you like to do? Garden? Can? other hobbies?

Aside from reading, playing board games, writing, and being a huge movie buff (but I don't actually like owning most movies) I don't really have any hobbies.    

Well I guess exercising is one of my hobbies since its something I thoroughly enjoy doing and am upset when I can't find time for it.   And I do need new workout shoes so I suppose it will be a Christmas request! thanks for making me think and coming up with a need I can request

Thank you for the great ideas. I think I have a good idea of what I can ask for.  I have an immersion blender, which was actually a gift my fil gave me 2 years ago, but it gave me ideas for other kitchen things I need.  I think he gets sick of getting me practical gifts but really those type of things make me the happiest!! In the past he has gotten me a fantastic roasting pan, a food processor, a cast iron skillet, and a vacuum!  

I wish I could ask for a Le Creuset Dutch oven but I just feel so guilty because of the price, that is one of those things I'm saving up for so maybe a gift card to help pay for it (he doesn't like giving money because he wants to make sure it won't be spent on other people's needs instead of myself... he knows me too well! )

Once in passing I told my mom I really wished I had a steam mop.  She asked me which one I was looking at and I told her.  When it came time for my birthday, she asked me if I would like a small gift or would I like to combine my birthday and Christmas gift together.  I told her I was happy to combine, so I was given my steam mop and at Christmas I was given a reminder note!  I was cool with it.  I love my steam mop!

How about, "Honey, what I really want for Christmas this year is to be surprised"?  Dh usually buys me stuff from my list and tries -- bless his heart -- to add a couple of surprises, but his thought processes are not exactly subtle:  "So, have you seen this new thingamabob?  What do you think about it?  Do you think you might like to have one?"  Of course, unless you have a husband who will take this as a challenge, you will probably end up with whatever was being displayed at the front of the store.

I was looking through the King Arthur Flour catalog and there's lots of stuff that caught my eye there.  I'm not much of a baker but sometimes it's fun to surprise the family with goodies.

I'm also adding a coffee frother (foamer?) to my list.  I want some coffee with some height to it! :drool:

I love the shopping cart bags, great idea! Might have to add those to my list too.

How about, "Honey, what I really want for Christmas this year is to be surprised"?  Dh usually buys me stuff from my list and tries -- bless his heart -- to add a couple of surprises, but his thought processes are not exactly subtle:  "So, have you seen this new thingamabob?  What do you think about it?  Do you think you might like to have one?"  Of course, unless you have a husband who will take this as a challenge, you will probably end up with whatever was being displayed at the front of the store.

Its a list for my father in law not my husband.  I do not even try to help my husband. After a few bad Christmases and birthdays in the beginning he has learned enough about me to know what I'll like and not like.  He's turned into a great gift giver.  My father in law is strictly a list kind of person and I respect that because I get enough bad gifts from other people to love to expect to know I'll get at least a few things I actually want. Its just figuring out what I want that is hard :)

Given the other $$ items he's gotten you in the past, you should definitely put the Le Cruset on the list!  Lodge is a bit less and still good.  Walmart sometimes has enameled cast iron.  I've had all three and like them all pretty much interchangeably.  Actually, I like the walmart (Tramontina or BHG) a bit more, because it's less $$, meaning I can have more of it.   :thumbup:   Check, but some of my Tramontina/BHG has metal handles, meaning it can go in the oven with the lid on without worrying about temps.

Do you have an electric roaster big enough for turkeys?  Countertop convention oven or toaster oven?  Do you lust after expensive cutting knives (wustoff) or need some pieces to complete your silverware?  (steak knives, sunday spoons, serving spoons)  

You might like a Liberty puzzle.  They're gorgeous laser cut would with novelty pieces...  We like to put one out every year around Christmas so people can do a little when they come to visit.  Always a hit.

Cuisinart ice cream maker?  Ina Garten cookbooks?  Anne Geddes puzzles?  Fleece sheets?  Membership to something for a year?  Dish towels? (I just changed all my Williams Sonoma dish towels out to Sur la Table.)  Car vac?  

I just want to say that I think it is awesome that your in-laws are so concerned about getting you gifts that you like. So many gift givers use the holidays to subtly give negative messages that it is refreshing to see someone try so hard. Way to go, FIL!

I'm truly blessed to have the wonderful in laws that I have!

Given the other $$ items he's gotten you in the past, you should definitely put the Le Cruset on the list!  Lodge is a bit less and still good.  Walmart sometimes has enameled cast iron.  I've had all three and like them all pretty much interchangeably.  Actually, I like the walmart (Tramontina or BHG) a bit more, because it's less $$, meaning I can have more of it.   :thumbup:   Check, but some of my Tramontina/BHG has metal handles, meaning it can go in the oven with the lid on without worrying about temps.

Do you have an electric roaster big enough for turkeys?  Countertop convention oven or toaster oven?  Do you lust after expensive cutting knives (wustoff) or need some pieces to complete your silverware?  (steak knives, sunday spoons, serving spoons)  

You might like a Liberty puzzle.  They're gorgeous laser cut would with novelty pieces...  We like to put one out every year around Christmas so people can do a little when they come to visit.  Always a hit.

Cuisinart ice cream maker?  Ina Garten cookbooks?  Anne Geddes puzzles?  Fleece sheets?  Membership to something for a year?  Dish towels? (I just changed all my Williams Sonoma dish towels out to Sur la Table.)  Car vac?  

Oh so many fantastic ideas!! thank you.  I think the ice cream maker may be the one that gets put at the top of the list