Menu

Besides Disney, what is there to do in the Orlando area?

Woodhaven

The highlight of our Florida vacation wasn't Disney, it was visiting Winter (the dolphin with a prosthetic tail from the movie "Dolphin Tale") and talking with the wonderful staff at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. We were able to prepare food for the animals, learn about their recent rescues, and so much more. It isn't an aquarium in the true sense of the word, but a rescue center with passionate staff and volunteers who love to teach you about what they know. Fantastic day.

We did Discovery Cove last year.  Absolutely amazing!!!  It's expensive, but we did the deal where you got 14 days to all Sea World owned parks and took full advantage.  Busch Gardens, Sea World, and Aquatica.  

When we went this past summer, Sea World and Aquatica were part of the base ticket price. Only Busch Gardens was an add-on.

One note on Discovery Cove........... It includes breakfast and lunch, as well as unlimited snacks and beverages (water, soda, juice, beer, wine, and a couple of flavors of coladas). It also includes your sunscreen and water gear.

If you can swing it my kids loved Discovery Cove. That was my now 18dd's Make A Wish trip. We also loved Sea World. Not sure when you are going but we did early December and loved the decorations and Christmas stuff at Sea World---an evening Shamu show, etc.

Another huge hit for my kids was the Arabian Nights dinner show. It is pricey and only a few hours long but we really enjoyed it--then of course my girls are horse lovers. We liked Arabian Nights much better than Medieval Times.

How far from Orlando are you looking?  Cape Canaveral is a couple of hours, 

Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach, & Cape Kennedy are less than an hour away. Or rather, the beaches are just about an hour. KSC is a little less. If you'd rather stay in Orlando, there's Sea World and Universal Studios. There are little attractions along International Drive, such as Wonder Works and Ripley's Believe it or Not. There's the Orlando Science Museum, which is a fair drive from the Disney area, but still the metro Orlando area. It also has an art museum nearby. A little farther south and west is Legoland and Busch Gardens. Your older ones might be bored at Legoland unless they're big fans. 

When will you be here? Mama Geek mentioned Blue Springs. If you're here in winter, especially January, you can see manatees while there. 

Oh - I almost forgot!  We did a tour of Showcase of Citrus.  (Don't judge - we had a Groupon!)   It was SO.MUCH.FUN!!!!!  Really!  We got into a monster truck (think 12 feet off the ground) and toured a citrus farm.  Our driver stopped and showed us all sorts of wildlife - banana spiders (ACK!), crocodiles (I'm not kidding - he jumped off the truck and caught one for us), etc, etc, etc.  They have other animals there that our driver stopped and fed.  Water buffalo, turtles, etc.

He was a wealth of information.  (A little insane, but VERY educated on the wildlife around his farm.)  I HIGHLY recommend this tour.