Menu

Ok, now I also want to hear more about AAS...

PeacefulChaos

Again, it's one I've looked into before.  :P

I get this one, I think.  But is it super-duper parent involved?  Do I have to get all the stuff - tiles, etc?  These things (and the cost) have had me kind of unsure about it.  

We currently use Spelling Workout, which is good for Link - he's a natural speller - but Astro... not so much.  We go through times when he does ok, and times when he doesn't.  Idk.  It's like sometimes we'll spell the words every day but he won't remember them from day to day... is that normal?  He doesn't read all that awesome (it's hit or miss, depending on the day, but he's still reading really easy books - much easier than Link was at his age - but I try NOT to compare, I know each kid is different and Link is a voracious reader), and learning/comprehending things just seems to be a little more difficult for him, but once he's got it, he's got it, kwim?  Like when we started the school year, no review of last year's math was necessary (we did a day of review but it was still like he'd just done it, so then we went on ahead), and sometimes he'll get a grammar concept without having to explain it twice.  But then sometimes there are things that seem 'easier' or more obvious that take him a little bit longer (capitalizing proper nouns, for instance, or remembering to keep space between words! :lol: ) ... Anyway, I digress, I'm supposed to be asking about AAS, not advice on Astro!!  :D

Anyway, can you guys tell me more about AAS?  Do kids who don't learn from workbook/copying stuff learn better with AAS?  

Or if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm happy to listen.  Thanks!

Yes, it is super-duper parent-involved.

Yes, you should get the tiles and the board and the teacher's guide.   You'll need word cards -- but you could purchase them or make them yourself.  

The program is excellent.  My son could not spell.  It was quite alarming, really.  He needed to be taught every little thing about spelling, and AAS did that.

We spent about a half-hour on spelling every day using AAS for four years.  

He is now a fine, confident speller.  It was worth every penny and every half-hour.  

Yes, you need all the "stuff" and it is teacher intensive. But it's simple and straightforward. My youngest child has issues with reading and spelling. It has just taken him longer to master concepts in those areas. He's a whiz at math and has excellent reading comprehension but phonics and spelling always stumped him. We have been using AAS for a few years and he has improved significantly. I know many people think these things will click as a child gets older but for him he needed a systematic approach like AAS. He needs the board and the cards. He is doing really really well now and I recommend AAS any time I get the chance.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

Yes to the parent involved.  I came to loathe the tiles.  Great idea, terrible design.  So I'm torn about recommending them.  I think they're probably necessary for many kids and we did find them useful when we started.  But then I ditched them because they were evil.

My youngest son absolutely loves AAS.  We do use all the tiles on a portable white board so that we can sit on the floor and work.  It is teacher intensive though.  The books are broken up into steps, rather than lessons and we just work through each step for about 15 minutes at a time until we finish it.  Some Steps take a couple days and others much longer.  My older two are much more natural spellers and just didn't need a program like this, but I'm learning a lot from it as well.  

AAS is VERY teacher intensive, but only takes us 10-15 minutes per session. I consider that a worth-while investment of my time and energy because it works SO WELL. My kids are becoming spelling ninjas, and it's really useful for reinforcing/reviewing phonics rules, too.

The lessons are quick in the beginning. 

But lessons take longer than 10-15 minutes in the higher levels.  I had to schedule 30 minutes or so for those upper level lessons.  

Yes to the parent involved.  I came to loathe the tiles.  Great idea, terrible design.  So I'm torn about recommending them.  I think they're probably necessary for many kids and we did find them useful when we started.  But then I ditched them because they were evil.

Really?    What did you not like about them?  I thought they were an excellent feature of the program.

Really?    What did you not like about them?  I thought they were an excellent feature of the program.

I think they're a really good idea.  But the fact that they're these somewhat flimsy plastic bits on magnet stickers that are smaller than the plastic bit meant they were constantly falling off, or getting jostled because they could overlap.  They were hard to move around.  They were basically a pita.  Optimally, they should be actual tiles.  But barring that due to cost, surely printing to magnet paper would have been a superior thing to these.

I think they're a really good idea.  But the fact that they're these somewhat flimsy plastic bits on magnet stickers that are smaller than the plastic bit meant they were constantly falling off, or getting jostled because they could overlap.  They were hard to move around.  They were basically a pita.  Optimally, they should be actual tiles.  But barring that due to cost, surely printing to magnet paper would have been a superior thing to these.

And then your two year old figures out how to reach the white board and takes all of them off to play with when you weren't paying close attention and then you can't find 8 of them which drives you batty.... :glare:

How much writing is in this program?

The tiles are what is drawing me to this program. Do you have any ideas on how to make them "less flimsy." My son hates writing as it is so it would be nice to focus on spelling without having to make him write. 

AAS completely turned spelling around for my kids. The parent works with the child the whole time--it's not independent work. But subjects that a child struggles with probably shouldn't be independent--I made other things independent instead to make it work. Here's a review  I did awhile back with a couple of updates. My oldest has since completed AAS and my youngest is in 7--both have made marked improvements in spelling ability, writing fluency (the dictations and writing station exercises helped to build up stamina), editing ability, and attitude towards writing/spelling in general.

We used the tiles until each was around 12--my youngest enjoyed them and used them longer. They were crucial here, especially in the beginning--it took all the pressure off and made spelling very concrete. Once they could write faster than they could move the tiles, we phased out of using them--so it was a natural transition for us. Then we used underlining on paper to show two or more letters working together as a phonogram.

I originally thought I might want the magnet to completely cover the back of the tiles, but I found they were actually much easier to use with just the magnet in the middle. You can simply press on one side and the tile pops off the board. With a magnet covering the back, they were hard to remove and wouldn't slide. I didn't have any trouble with tiles falling off my board, but no toddlers to get into them either!

HTH as you decide what to do! Merry :-)

The tiles are what is drawing me to this program. Do you have any ideas on how to make them "less flimsy." My son hates writing as it is so it would be nice to focus on spelling without having to make him write. 

FWIW, I didn't think they were flimsy.  I thought they worked very well.  We didn't have any trouble with them.

The writing starts out small and gradually increases. They write letters and words at first, then short dictation phrases. In Level 2, they write 6 dictation phrases and 6 sentences per step (a step can be done over as many or as few days as needed). In Level 3 it bumps up to 12 sentences, and then an activity called the writing station is introduced where they make up some sentences using words they have learned. The gradual writing progression helped my kids become more confident in writing and editing, and prepared them for using a formal writing program. The dictations and writing station are also a nice transition exercise to get kids using spelling in more "real life" type applications.

If you have a student who really struggles with writing, you could start off doing all of it with tiles and then gradually introducing more writing as you go. My oldest only used tiles to start too. You can also use tactile  or kinesthetic  methods to work on writing skills without holding a pencil/pen, or for more fun ways of writing to help sweeten the transition. My kids enjoyed some of these.

We didn't have any problems with the tiles here, so they worked fine for us.

The tiles are flimsy but now there is also an app you can use instead if that becomes too much of an issue. There is a reason for the tiles too - both kids are far less concerned about spelling a word wrong with the tiles because it is so easy to correct. When a word is written, sometimes it looks overwhelming to have to think about erasing and re-writing it with the correct spelling. 

I also love the dictations in AAS. They are a perfect way to work on dictation and all the skills that it builds with kids who for whatever reason cannot complete the long WWE dictations. I actually split up the dictations and the lessons. We are typically 2-4 steps ahead in lessons/spelling instruction, and then I use the dictations to review all those concepts behind us and make sure they were retained.

Maybe make your own and print on magnet paper? Or better, cut the magnet paper to match the size of the tile so they're not tippy all the time. Or use the Sound Literacy app if you have an ipad.

There's not much writing in the first two books. Lots more work with the tiles. You move from tiles to writing for each thing.

We really like this program. It has made my two oldest very confident spellers for their ages. It also made it very easy to memorize all the rules, with just a quick review every lesson with the review cards. Yes, it involves the teacher, but the lessons are fairly quick and like another poster mentioned, it is a subject that should have a fair bit of teacher oversight, I think.

We only used the tiles for the first level. After that I wrote out any lessons we needed to physically look at, on paper. This has not seemed to create any problems with my kids. The tiles were great for level one but they were a hassle, especially as my toddlers always found a way to the white board even if it was put away.

We buy it through Sonlight, because the price is comparable to everyone else, and it qualifies for free shipping.

I really would love to try this program but I already know the tiles are just going to be an annoying distraction with my dc.Is there anyway I can avoid using the tiles?

Well, you could consider Spalding, which doesn't have tiles. I'm convinced that the author of AAS is a former Spalding user, lol; AAS is so similar to Spalding that I don't see how it could be otherwise. :-)

And you only have to buy one manual (Writing Road to Reading) and one set of phonogram cards to do it. :-)

Just to clarify: We don't do a full lesson each day in AAS. We spend 10-15 minutes, and stop where ever we are, picking it up there next time. Some lessons take us two days, some lessons take a couple of weeks. I learned early on that pushing my kids to finish the lesson creates way too much stress - so now I go strictly by the timer.

I really would love to try this program but I already know the tiles are just going to be an annoying distraction with my dc.Is there anyway I can avoid using the tiles?

In addition to Spalding, you could look at Logic of English, which is newer than AAS.

All three programs are based on the same sound to spelling and reading method.

It takes me soooo long to slide those tiles around that my kids lose interest.  They don't like fooling with them.  

I have them, so I use them, but only minimally.  

The tiles I like best are ones that aren't letters--the tiles that have you label the syllables, for example.  I never knew how important syllables were in spelling, but they are, and those labels are very nice to have.  

I kinda don't like that the tiles are magnetic.  I think I'd be faster if I just plopped them on a smooth floor and used them.  I have them on my dryer and we pull up little kid chairs and use them on the side of the dryer.  But like another person said, they're always falling off.  When I'm spelling a word and knock letters off (like I do each time) whichever boy is closer to the fallen letter has to pick it up.

If you really didn't want to use the tiles, I think you could just spell on a whiteboard.  If it were me, I'd write the alphabet across the top and also write the other tiles on the board.  Like there are tiles with two letters on them, like oy and oi.  If I was learning about the oi/oy sounds, then I'd write them on the whiteboard.  Then, during the lesson, I'd point to which letters I was using as I wrote them.

I'm not sure if it'd be as effective, but perhaps it would.  My boys kinda stare around the room while I'm setting up the words and shuffle in their seats.  

Oh, wait--for those syllables again, it's nice that they can pull the words apart.  I suppose you could put slash marks between syllables, though.  

So, to answer your question--I think you could do without the tiles.  Maybe make your own out of sturdy paper for the syllable labels.

About those tiles--I've wondered if they would feel better to manipulate if they were wooden.  Of course, then, the cost would quadruple.  

The worst is when the portable white board gets knocked off the easel.  Then it is a spelling pick up game.  :)  

I don't love the tiles, but I do love AAS.  It was the thing that really helped my kids who were struggling, both in spelling AND reading.   For us, it has been a very, very good investment, even with a few concerns over ease of use and general expense.  

AAS taught me how to be a good teacher of spelling and reading for my dc.

I haven't used the tiles but I already see them being just a huge distraction for my two wiggly dc. I wonder if you could use a tablet? I have a few apps on Kindle and Nook that might work.One is a whiteboard and the other is one with letter magnets you just slide into place.It seems like that would work better for my dc if it is at possible.

I haven't used the tiles but I already see them being just a huge distraction for my two wiggly dc. I wonder if you could use a tablet? I have a few apps on Kindle and Nook that might work.One is a whiteboard and the other is one with letter magnets you just slide into place.It seems like that would work better for my dc if it is at possible.

You can use the Sound Literacy app.  It's expensive, but if you forgo the tile set, then it's a good tradeoff.

A friend of mine made her own by pasting the letters onto wooden tiles she found that are similar to Scrabble tiles.  She likes them.

I agree about hating the tiles---we lost one set of tiles because the toddler at the time put them under the fridge and they stuck to the underside (because they were magnetic, oi!).  They are so thin, they are hard to get off of something like that.  Both kids I was using the program with grew to hate the tiles anyway (even the hands-on kid).  They were just a bother.

We quit in level 3, because the kids were sick of the spelling level being way below the level of what they wanted to write and the lessons were not sticking any more.  Too many "just remember this rule that's an exception to the rules you've already learned and you'll have to memorize which words it applies to."

Both kids are doing much better concentrating on the words they have trouble with through copywork and modeled dictation.  That's not to say that I don't like AAS as a rule, but I have trouble recommending it beyond the first couple of levels.

Yes, you can use underlining on paper or a white board (large or hand-held) to show when 2 or more letters are working together as a phonogram. This is what you do with older students as you transition away from tiles, or for younger ones who don't want to use them.

They were distracting sometimes here (my son liked to make explosion noises when dismantling a word, and my daughter drew pictures around tile words!) but that added bit of play didn't detract from overall learning here, and actually helped them to look forward to the program. I did limit explosions & drawing, but didn't get rid of it--I have fond memories of those early days in AAS, ha!

I'm convinced that the author of AAS is a former Spalding user, lol; AAS is so similar to Spalding that I don't see how it could be otherwise. :-)

Maybe some history reading would help? :) Orton-Gillingham came first, then Spalding. There are lots of similarities, because Romalda Spalding drew on the work that Orton and Gillingham had done. All About Spelling and All About Reading are also based on O-G, so the programs couldn't help but have similarities. There are some differences, some minor in how certain phonograms are addressed, some more significant. The author of AAR and AAS is O-G trained (studied O-G in college before ever homeschooling) and teaches graduate level O-G courses.

Where are you all getting the large whiteboards? Does it have to be a white board? Could a big oil pan work or do we need to be able to write on it, too?

You could use an oil pan.  I've seen it somewhere on the web...actually, here it is: http://www.teachingstars.com/2011/11/21/all-about-spelling-update/ and she uses wet-erase markers to write on it.  I think it's important the student can write on it.  (TBH, my dd writes more often than she uses the tiles - it's just quicker for us.) 

If you need a smaller option though, which we did, you could use Merry's mini-office idea: http://www.hopeforhomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/08/aas-letter-tiles-mini-office-update.html

I made one something like this, but used those individual-sized magnetic whiteboards to attach the tiles.  I had to tear off the frames and the cardboard on the back of the whiteboard surface, then carefully tape over the sharp edges.  I also used those 2-pocket cardboard folders to create the mini-office, and the last "side" of one of the folders is not used for the magnets, so the pocket holds the progress chart, etc., very nicely.  It works really well, and it folds up and fits in the bookshelf.  Win! :001_smile:

ETA some pics:

post-72548-0-85714200-1382908773_thumb.jpg

post-72548-0-32501500-1382908775_thumb.jpg

post-72548-0-85714200-1382908773_thumb.jpg

post-72548-0-32501500-1382908775_thumb.jpg

I kinda don't like that the tiles are magnetic.  I think I'd be faster if I just plopped them on a smooth floor and used them.

They don't have to be magnetic, do they?  When I bought my set a few months ago, they came just as the laminated tiles, with the peel-and-stick magnets separate.  I spent quite some time peeling and sticking the little magnets onto the back of the tiles...

Where are you all getting the large whiteboards? Does it have to be a white board? Could a big oil pan work or do we need to be able to write on it, too?

I got mine at Walmart for less than $20.  I think I had to order online and chose the site-to-store shipping for no charge.  Some stores carried the one I wanted, but my local store was out of stock.

ETA: The one I bought was about 2'x3'.

They don't have to be magnetic, do they?  When I bought my set a few months ago, they came just as the laminated tiles, with the peel-and-stick magnets separate.  I spent quite some time peeling and sticking the little magnets onto the back of the tiles...

Right--they don't.  The only reason I don't plop them on the floor is simply set up and clean up.  It really is nice to have them all stuck to the side of the dryer and in place as soon as we need them.  So...I guess either way has its pros and cons.

The program itself is working well for us so far.  We're in book 2 and I don't have plans on changing.  

Silly question, does the child have to be reading before starting AAS level 1?

I don't think so.  It starts by teaching all the letter sounds, which helps a lot with decoding words.  Then it goes to phoneme segmenting, which helps with reading too.  I think after that, I probably would stop until my child can read simple words before moving on as I think it could get hard.  But if they can read simple 3 letter phonetic words, they are right where AAS 1 is teaching.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE AAS.  It's the only teacher intensive thing I've never considered dropping.  We work through at the pace my children set and I don't worry about getting xxx done every year or anything.  I work 2x/week with each child for 15 minute tops and we get done what we do.  We usually finish 1 1/2 - 2 levels a year this way.

You can make your own tiles if you don't want to buy theirs.  But theirs are really nice.  It is well worth the expense.  The nice part is you buy it once and you can use it with multiple children.  The only thing I have in duplicate is the little file box that holds the cards.  

The tiles are flimsy but now there is also an app you can use instead if that becomes too much of an issue. There is a reason for the tiles too - both kids are far less concerned about spelling a word wrong with the tiles because it is so easy to correct. When a word is written, sometimes it looks overwhelming to have to think about erasing and re-writing it with the correct spelling. 

What is the app? I would much prefer an app to the tiles.

Silly question, does the child have to be reading before starting AAS level 1?

The author recommends completing AAR 1 or the equivalent first, before starting AAS 1. Several concepts that are quickly reviewed in AAS 1 are taught more gradually in AAR 1. Students who are already reading can start AAS 1.

The author recommends completing AAR 1 or the equivalent first, before starting AAS 1. Several concepts that are quickly reviewed in AAS 1 are taught more gradually in AAR 1. Students who are already reading can start AAS 1.

That makes sense. I'm trying to decide if I want to do a simple reading program like OPGTR or AAR for my (just turned) 5 year old who wants to read and will be in kinder next year. Obviously I have time to prepare. Just making lists and budgets!!

I originally thought I might want the magnet to completely cover the back of the tiles, but I found they were actually much easier to use with just the magnet in the middle. You can simply press on one side and the tile pops off the board. With a magnet covering the back, they were hard to remove and wouldn't slide. I didn't have any trouble with tiles falling off my board, but no toddlers to get into them either!

This has been my experience as well. The smaller magnets bothered me until I realized how much easier it was to pick them up compared to other magnets we use that go all the way to the edge. In hindsight I think this was a fantastic idea. So far we've used them for about a year and a half and they're holding up very well. Of course, I only have one child, so you mileage might vary if you are using them with multiple children. If they wear out before we're done with them I'd seriously consider purchasing another set (assuming, of course, that we aren't in the middle of level 7 when that happens).

We use a smaller board and lay it flat on the table while using it, voila...no falling tiles! :D If I happen to lose my grip the tile doesn't have far to fall, so I don't have too much trouble with them.

Still really, really wish they'd get an AAS app out there, though. It just doesn't seem like it should be that hard to make an app with moveable tiles and multiple users where you could have a different setup for each user. (Says this completely-ignorant-of-how-to-make-an-app homeschool mum!)

Love AAS here, plan to use it with all my kids.

do you use the box from AAS or just a generic box?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'd suggest you just repurpose a kids' shoe box or an empty Kleenex box.  I've never purchased any kind of box for storing cards from AAS or any other program.

I bought the official AAS box because I was too lazy to figure out which other boxes would work. And then it arrived crushed/damaged. It wasn't worth the hassle or expense to return it for another - so I pieced it back together with duct tape. Really, I think any notecard shaped box would do. But the dividers are nice...

AAS wouldn't make you return it since it arrived damaged--call or email them and they will send a replacement.

I use the official box.  The dividers don't fit well in the 3x5 boxes on the shelves.  I just like having it all fit neatly.  That being said, you could totally do your own thing.

I've been using the tiles for 2 1/2 years now.  They are still in perfect shape!

I use the official box.  The dividers don't fit well in the 3x5 boxes on the shelves.  I just like having it all fit neatly.  That being said, you could totally do your own thing.

I've been using the tiles for 2 1/2 years now.  They are still in perfect shape!

The new dividers with the coloured tabs *do* fit the 3x5 boxes!  At least they fit mine, the old ones were too tall and flimsy.  The new ones are also sturdier.  :)

Is there more to this program than just the magnetic tiles? We are using magnetic tiles with OPGTR & my dd5 isn't really that into them-- they bore her. So I guess I'm wondering is there other games & hands-on things besides the tiles with AAS, or do they use the magnets creatively enough that the kids don't experience burn-out with them?

Is there more to this program than just the magnetic tiles? We are using magnetic tiles with OPGTR & my dd5 isn't really that into them-- they bore her. So I guess I'm wondering is there other games & hands-on things besides the tiles with AAS, or do they use the magnets creatively enough that the kids don't experience burn-out with them?

There is other stuff.  The tiles are used to spell words and teach with.  The idea behind spelling with them is its easier for kids then writing on pen and paper when they have to figure out spelling.  It also is nice for teaching, with all the color coding.

In addition to working with the tiles, there are rules and such to memorize (flashcard style, hence the box discussion above), things like segmenting sounds using a disc you pull down to represent, and things like writing words in a "silent e book" and making homophone lists, etc.