Menu

Calvin has received his first (conditional) offer

Laura Corin

Almost all offers of university places in Britain are conditional on attaining a particular grade in final exams in the summer.  His first offer looks attainable, so it may well end up being his safety.  He was really surprised to get an offer this early - he only put the (UCAS common) application in a couple of weeks ago.

L

Congratulations to you all!

Sound silly to say "I can't believe he's ready for university" since I don't know him but after reading your posts for all these years it still seems like time has flown by... 

I'm with you there.  He's one of my best friends and it's going to be excruciating.

He will be going early - he'll be 17 3/4 next September.  From the conversation last night, he's really ready to leave school - starting to chafe against the (inevitable) petty, infantilising rules involved in warehousing 16, 17 and 18yo and getting them through very competitive exams.

L

Very exciting!

(I think that you and I are among the very few IB parents here.)

Yes indeed.  British universities used (just two or three years ago) to demand very high scores of people doing the IB, but things have settled down a bit as they've become more familiar with the qualification.  He's likely to get some pretty tough offers nonetheless: between 36 and 40 points.

Calvin just handed in his Extended Essay first draft, on 'inscape' in Gerard Manley Hopkins.  He is also working on essays for English and Latin that he needs to perfect to send to one of his potential universities. 

Tonight he's out with friends, but he's got a lot on his plate.

L