Menu

How do you vacuum your carpeted stairs?

PeterPan

I need to buy my mother a new vac, and she has carpeted stairs (not thick plus, but needs a beater bar).  

Options I'm down to:

1) Buy an upright that has a long hose with the petmate attachment, and that attachment is how she'll clean her stairs.  Maybe a Eureka MyVac...

2) Buy something cute like the Hoover Platinum that has a separate small canister to run tools but still no petmate, meaning she'd need a small dust buster style vac with beater bar to do her stairs.  That's still under pricepoint, so ok.

3) Go with a nice canister vac.  I have a canister vac, and I like it!  Thing is, their house is kind of tiny, with thin-legged antique furniture and whatnot.  My dd thinks a canister would be horribly in there and that nimble is important.  I'm looking at the purple kenmore.  

Dyson is out.  I can't find one at my pricepoint.  Miele isn't my pricepoint.  $300 is my price point.  I need her to be able to sweep her boring carpet (not too thick, not too new), tidy the edges of hardwood showing, sweep the carpeted stairs, and sweep the linoleum.  Oh, and it needs a HEPA because of the CAT.   :coolgleamA:

So what say you?  Any advice?  The carpeted stairs make a U and have a couple wedge shapes, so I don't think she'd be able to get all of them with the big head of the canister.  I've just looked at these till I've gone in circles.  Give it to me straight.  What should I get?   :)

Just for the snarky reply...You take your regular upright vacuum cleaner and use the hose attachment to vacuum the stairs.  You become unaware that you ran out of hose length about 3/4 the way down the stairs.  You then unwillingly allow the upright vacuum to fall down the stairs resulting in a large hole in your drywall.  After that, you fix the hole with drywall tape and plaster (which you know how to do because your dad taught you after you backed the car through the back of the garage when you were 16)  and drive down to the paint store to successfully (yay!) match the paint covering your very large patch job.  Vacuuming the stairs only has to take you about a week.  Easy Peasy.

Beth

I find that my canister hose with the upolestry brush cleans better than the special pet attachment with a beater from my old vacuum. I say buy all of the suction you can afford and worry less about whether or not the brushes spin. Amazon has a Meile for $329 that's Prime eligible. http://www.amazon.com/Miele-S2121-Olympus-Canister-Cleaner/dp/B002YPUO5U