Menu

Silly topic - dorm room decor

Myra

This is kind of silly but.....what do your sons hang up to personalize their dorm rooms?  My son's walls are cement block painted beige.   He doesn't want any "cutsy" stuff......all his roommate has hanging is a pin-up girl poster.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Myra

A small sign saying that the other poster isn't his?  :leaving:

We actually had to do this my freshman year of college. I shared a suite with five other girls, and we each picked a poster for the common room. Our tastes were so wildly divergent we wound up quietly explaining to visitors, "Just so you know, I didn't choose the picture of Half-Naked Bowflex Guy" or, "I would never decorate with kittens wearing party hats...that belongs to Julie."

So eventually, our most level-headed roomie made neat little name labels and pasted them on our respective posters. Solved the problem quite nicely. :)

I consumed a fair amount of Dannon yogurt in high school, and started collecting the cardboard inserts that sat inside the tops (back when containers were still waxed cardboard).  Each top had a different outer band of color to match the flavor, but the centers of each top were white.  It was these centers I painted with glow-in-the-dark nail polish.   Using over 100 yogurt tops, and lots of tape, my roommate and I outlined a giant UD on our ceiling, which, of course, glowed at night.

Those were such simple times.... :laugh:

Ds was happy to have bedding and a place to put his minimal stuff.  He was definitely NOT into "dorm room decor."  Heck, he never even hung up his memo board on his door. It came back home last spring still wrapped in plastic.  When we were shopping, he was so non-committal that I threatened to get him Barbie sheets and comforter and pink towels.  That is when he said "Blue.  Just make it all blue."  The only extra thing he allowed me to get was one of those plastic 4 drawer carts.

My dd hasn't hung anything on the walls because she's afraid of messing up the paint. She has hung her wall scrolls on the headboard and footboard of her bed. Since they are designed to be loftable, the frames go up very high.

That's why it was great when dorm walls were cinder blocks painted public-school green.   A little Crest toothpaste would hide any ding or holes.

:coolgleamA:

I consumed a fair amount of Dannon yogurt in high school, and started collecting the cardboard inserts that sat inside the tops (back when containers were still waxed cardboard). Each top had a different outer band of color to match the flavor, but the centers of each top were white. It was these centers I painted with glow-in-the-dark nail polish. Using over 100 yogurt tops, and lots of tape, my roommate and I outlined a giant UD on our ceiling, which, of course, glowed at night.

Those were such simple times.... :laugh:

Tom, are you a Blue Hen?

Okay - so I guess it might be a "guy" thing.  He's happy with blank walls - it's Mom that finds it depressing.  So I guess I'll just let it go........again! 

Myra

I dunno.  My roommate and I got quite gaudy by senior year.  Did I mention the huge Union Jack I painted onto a queen flat sheet that we hung from our ceiling?   We also had loft beds made from antique porch posts that put us up to only about 2 feet from said ceiling.  Then there was the curbside couch we brought in loosely twined to the top of my hand-me-down Dodge Omni.  We were odd kids.

I dunno.  My roommate and I got quite gaudy by senior year.  Did I mention the huge Union Jack I painted onto a queen flat sheet that we hung from our ceiling?   We also had loft beds made from antique porch posts that put us up to only about 2 feet from said ceiling.  Then there was the curbside couch we brought in loosely twined to the top of my hand-me-down Dodge Omni.  We were odd kids.

Now see....any of those things would make me grin and be happy....it's just the austere look of beige cement walls and clutter on the floor....oh, well.....

Myra

Thanks for the reminder that boys are different. I just bought my next kiddo a dorm comforter on clearance, because he won't care what it looks like. (In complete disclosure, I bought my oldest's dorm comforter on clearance her senior year, but I showed it to her for approval.)

He just changed rooms with a younger sister when my oldest left for college. His new room had a little girl white furniture that the little sister wasn't moving to her new room. When I told my son that I was thinking about how to get the furniture from his old room in the basement to the new room on the second floor, he said, "Don't worry about it." I reminded him about the white furniture in the new room, he replied, "Mom. I'm a boy; I don't care about stuff like that."

Works for me.

I'm a girl and I don't care for frill or extra of any kind. It must have  a function or forget about it.

What does your son like? On my walls I hang a map, a National Geographic poster, a clock, a calendar, a dry erase board, 2 deflated balloons and a multiplication table that goes to 14.

I would like to have a couple of math-centric posters, a nicer world map, a larger dry erase board and a dartboard or basketball hoop.

I'm a girl and I don't care for frill or extra of any kind. It must have  a function or forget about it.

What does your son like? On my walls I hang a map, a National Geographic poster, a clock, a calendar, a dry erase board, 2 deflated balloons and a multiplication table that goes to 14.

Just out of curiousity, why the two deflated balloons?

Regards,

Kareni

One ds hung up his coat (so it could dry) and towels. That was all that was on his walls.

My other ds bought movie posters from his favorite movies and hung those. It suited him in the dorm. He is now in an apartment, and has nothing on his walls. He said it is too much work to buy Command strips to hang up the posters.  :)  

My dd has lots on her walls, and it is coordinated and cute. Guys tend not to care as much as girls do.