Menu

If you are in a state that requires mandatory testing, what do you use?

I would test even if not required, but that is beside the point. He was in public school until end of 3rd grade, so he is familiar with test-taking (that may be a bit of an understatement ;))

I am overwhelmed by all the test options, and would prefer one whose result can also be used for the various talent searches (though I think most can).

If you have gone through the process of choosing a test for end of 4th or 5th grade, care to share your result and the thought process? Many thanks!

I have used both the ITBS and the CAT from Seton.  Since I don't put much stock in the tests, they really haven't ever told me anything I didn't already know, and I only do it because it's the easiest option to comply with my state law,  I have decided to just use the CAT from now on.  It's a survey test, only tests LA and Math (which is all my state cares about) and has 20 questions per section.  Takes about 2 days to give and I get the results back quickly.

Just for your trivia, the CAT results we've gotten have pretty much matched up with testing we've done with the Woodcock Johnson and WIAT.  It won't help you with the talent searches most likely, but just for reasonable testing that is super affordable, it's good.  And yes, it's only LA and math, which I appreciate.  

It won't help you with the talent searches most likely, but just for reasonable testing that is super affordable, it's good. And yes, it's only LA and math, which I appreciate.

Now I am even more confused than usual :) I thought CAT was on the list of accepted tests for the talent searches (along with every other test out there, it seems).

Thanks, everyone. For those who use ITBS, do you have to use the Social Science/Science bits, or is it posisble to just take the Math and Language Arts ones? Many thanks!

Yes, you can take just the core sections of the test (Reading, Lang.Arts, & Math), while skipping the Social Studies, Science, Maps, and Reference Materials sections.  You won't get a Composite Score without those extra sections, but you will get a Core Total score along with Reading Total, Language Total, and Math Total scores.  I believe you can use Reading Total, Language Total, and Math Total scores to qualify for talent searches.  I don't think you can use the Core Total score for qualifying, only the Composite Score (which would require you to complete every section).

We choose to complete every single section of the ITBS even though our state only requires us to do the core sections.  I think those extra sections can sometimes have tricky wording, and I want my kids to have experience dealing with that.  I view it as an opportunity to develop test-taking skills.

Our state requires testing at the end of 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th. We have a short list of tests that are accepted and they have to be administered by an approved tester. We use what ever approved test our local tester is offering to the Home School community. When my ds was tested for 3rd she was using the Terra Nova test.

Doing a web search on ITBS I first get "iliotibial band syndrome", before "Iowa Test of Basic Skills."  I'm pretty sure from context that the latter is intended, but sometimes discussions aren't quite so clear.  ;)

Does anyone have a link to the old acronym list on these forums?

We started with the PASS test, but switched to the CAT. PASS stops in 8th grade (I think) and at that time it was looking like ds would be homeschooling through high school. We didn't want to use one test for elem. and middle school and a different test for high school. I should add that my state requires testing every year of high school.

And I have also seen the CAT mentioned as acceptable for some G&T programs. I think..and I am grasping here... that I saw one that accepted a particular score on the CAT (like 98%) if the CAT was for one or two grades ahead for the child? So, if a 6th grader took it, the child would have to score 98% on the 7th or 8th grade test in order to qualify for a particular program.

I chose the Stanford primarily because it was not timed, and my daughter is very slow. She was very nervous about taking a timed test. We only did the core - skipped the Science and Social Studies. Another difference, that may or may not matter to you, is the Stanford is in color and I believe ITBS is in black and white.

And I have also seen the CAT mentioned as acceptable for some G&T programs. I think..and I am grasping here... that I saw one that accepted a particular score on the CAT (like 98%) if the CAT was for one or two grades ahead for the child? So, if a 6th grader took it, the child would have to score 98% on the 7th or 8th grade test in order to qualify for a particular program.

Oh I clearly have much research to do. Just from reading online it seemed to me a child would qualify if they scored above the cut-off in a component of a given test; not a test a grade or two above.

If the talent search uses an out of level test, they usually don't ask to see the actual standardized test score, but take your word for it that the child scored over the 95% somewhere-and then the child has to meet the minimums on the qualifying test for their grade level (for 4th, that's the EXPLORE except for CTY, which wants the SCAT). Starting in 3rd, I've just had my DD do the out of level test because it's more useful for me. (She did have a qualifying score on the 2nd grade TerraNova, and for 4th, her score on the EXPLORE in 3rd was more than sufficient).

Different years I've done the CAT from Seton, PASS from Hewitt, and the Stanford both at home and in group testing.  Frankly it has never told me anything I didn't already know, but we do it and my teens are very comfortable with testing at this point.

Locally they also accept all of the college tests (PSAT, ACT, SAT), but I asked for written clarification on that and got it just to be sure.  Some school systems won't take those.

There are two types of CAT, or at least there used to be. Seton offers the CAT survey, only math and LA. It's quick and cheap, maybe $25. You usually get the results within a week. Kolbe used to offer the full battery CAT but I don't think they do anymore, which included science and social studies and other sections. I think it may have been $60 for un-enrolled families and $40 for enrolled families. The full battery takes longer to give and cost more. The results took a lot longer to get, too. We used the full battery for entrance into EPGY. 

We have also used the PASS Test but next year I am switching to Stanford.  Our hs group offers testing groups and we order them through BJU Testing.  We did the Stanford for sd when she was in high school and never had any problems with it and BJU Testing.  We test at the beginning of May and the results are normally in the beginning of June.

We use the full battery CAT because my state requires that all subjects be tested. We have tested through both Thurber's and FLO. It is about $40 so just slightly more expensive than the survey. I test above grade level but still get very little in the way of new information. I am 99.9% sure that CAT is accepted for EXPLORE. I'm not sure about any other talent searches.