Menu

*lifeoftheparty*

Egregg- could you MSG me what you cooked for your whole30? We eat this way and I've been trying to freeze meals. Btw I easily lost 20 lbs and am now a better weight than when I got married 20 years ago. Paleo is great!

will do tonight after the kids are in bed.  

I just skimmed the responses so maybe this was already mentioned, but I'd like to emphasize that there are different ways to do low-carb, some of which do not work out so well in the long term vs others that may be a much better option.  IMO it is imperative that, if you are eating LC, you eat enough fat as your energy source.  How much is enough will vary from person to person, but it must be enough that you are not driven to eat carbs.  I'd keep protein levels normal (same as when not low-carbing), as excess protein will just get converted to glucose.  Secondly, many people need to add sodium and other electrolytes (through broth or supplements) as these are excreted in much larger quantities with a LC way of eating.  I would do some reading if you go this route (I like Volek and Phinney).

I have PCOS and a family history of diabetes.  I've been eating LCHF for 9 months so far and I have no plan of going back.  To go back would mean a lifetime of metformin and who knows what else.  I live in a house of carbs with temptation around every corner, but I'm usually fine as long as I keep some fat snacks handy (e.g. nuts).

Metformin is another option, of course, and I also recommend trying the extended release version.  However, I have no info on combining LC with metformin - I would be skeptical of such a combination.  I think it would be better to try to change the eating first and then add metformin as necessary rather than the other way around.

Hormones are much more powerful than food/diet. You can "diet" till the cows come home, but if you don't balance your hormones it'll all be for not.

By virtue of having PCOS, you are more than likely estrogen dominant. This means you have more circulating estrogen in proportion to progesterone (you would need a serum blood test or a saliva test to see this. It will not be picked up on a routine blood draw). Estrogen is a fat storage hormone so as long as this stays imbalanced you will continue to   not lose & possibly even gain weight even if starve yourself. Estrogen dominance literally puts a LOCK on weight loss. It's not about will power, or not eating any carbs....it's all hormonally regulated.

Increases in estrogen cause increases in weight, which causes increases in insulin (this prevents stored fat from being used as fuel), which stresses your system & increases your cortisol levels, which slows down your thyroid & metabolism. It's a vicious endocrine cycle that no amount of dieting will help until the hormones are balanced. Don't blame yourself. 

What you can do is find someone who specializes in restorative/functional endocrinology. Many NP's, DO's, DC's & some MD's are doing this. It will involve decreasing your stress levels, nourishing your body with healthy whole foods & possibly herbs to feed/balance your system. It will not happen over night. 

A note: progesterone cream is not the fix. Since it is fat soluble it will be absorbed into your fat cells & not be picked up on a blood test. You have ZERO way of monitoring how much you are taking *& is being stored. Progesterone then becomes locked in your cells until your body decides to start dumping it into your system.  You can then end up overdosing on it & throwing your system into further upheaval.

Good Luck!

Just wanted to add. You do need to eat healthy..no sugar, no processed foods, eat healthy fats, eat every 2-3 hours to maintain blood sugar levels & prevent insulin spikes. 

Hormones are much more powerful than food/diet. You can "diet" till the cows come home, but if you don't balance your hormones it'll all be for not.

By virtue of having PCOS, you are more than likely estrogen dominant. This means you have more circulating estrogen in proportion to progesterone (you would need a serum blood test or a saliva test to see this. It will not be picked up on a routine blood draw). Estrogen is a fat storage hormone so as long as this stays imbalanced you will continue to   not lose & possibly even gain weight even if starve yourself. Estrogen dominance literally puts a LOCK on weight loss. It's not about will power, or not eating any carbs....it's all hormonally regulated.

Increases in estrogen cause increases in weight, which causes increases in insulin (this prevents stored fat from being used as fuel), which stresses your system & increases your cortisol levels, which slows down your thyroid & metabolism. It's a vicious endocrine cycle that no amount of dieting will help until the hormones are balanced. Don't blame yourself. 

What you can do is find someone who specializes in restorative/functional endocrinology. Many NP's, DO's, DC's & some MD's are doing this. It will involve decreasing your stress levels, nourishing your body with healthy whole foods & possibly herbs to feed/balance your system. It will not happen over night. 

A note: progesterone cream is not the fix. Since it is fat soluble it will be absorbed into your fat cells & not be picked up on a blood test. You have ZERO way of monitoring how much you are taking *& is being stored. Progesterone then becomes locked in your cells until your body decides to start dumping it into your system.  You can then end up overdosing on it & throwing your system into further upheaval.

Good Luck!

I don't entirely agree.  FWIW, many years ago, my reproductive endocrinologist explained to me that insulin is the king hormone, and excess insulin drives the ovaries to kick out testosterone rather than estrogen during follicle development.  Progesterone is only insufficient when there is difficulty in one single egg follicle becoming dominant and ovulating, i.e., "low progesterone" relative to estrogen in the latter half of the cycle is merely a symptom of anovulation, that's all.  These days, it is more common for docs to acknowledge that insulin resistance is the root cause of PCOS.  Insulin is THE fat storage hormone, metabolically, from everything that I have read - literally in charge of opening and closing the doors of fat cells.

However, I don't think that's always a one-way street, as the RE also acknowledged.  Many, many years ago I had a good experience on a certain oral contraceptive, losing some extra weight without trying.  It's a bit of a mystery, but my money's still on insulin, not estrogen, as the root problem.

Insulin is A fat storage hormone. It is NOT the only one. Progesterone also does not come exclusively from the ovaries. It is also produced in the adrenal glands & is a precursor to making cortisol. So the more stressed out someone is the more progesterone they use to make cortisol. In effect, estrogen becomes imbalanced because more progesterone is being used to handle the stress (& yes, testosterone levels also rise). Cortisol is a glucocorticoid, meaning it focuses on getting glucose into your blood stream. When that happens insulins levels rise.

You sex hormones & your adrenal hormones are a part of the steroid hormone family & what happens to one affects the other. They never work alone. It's always in tandem. 

What if you only eat bread/carbs that you make yourself. People eat fewer carbs when they have to make the bread or pasta from scratch. You may find you prefer skipping them to exerting the effort to make them.

Also, what if about 30 minutes before lunch and dinner you had a giant glass of water and a salad. If you're a fast eater, this will slow you to a normal pace and you might want MUCH less of the main course. You can prep salads ahead for several days and put them in baggies or jars so it's convenient.

Have you considered taking a class? Zumba? Water aerobics? Volksmarching club? (Insert Kung Fu Panda's obligatory bellydance plug here.) If you've paid for it and it's on the calendar you're less likely to skip exercise. I do several classes a week because I just don't exercise without witnesses :-/

I'll throw in another "vote" for Eat to Live. I do add some additional protein, just because it makes me feel better, but otherwise the plan just works for me. It has really helped me to deal with food addictions and some pretty unhealthy choices I was continuing to make. My vice voice always said, "Well, it's organic AND vegetarian, so the chocolate cake isn't bad for me." :confused1:

Eat to Live got me to a point where I can eat fruits and veggies and be content (there are other things you eat, but the focus is fruits and veggies).

Depressing weight loss calculator.

I put in my current weight, height, age and it told me that by eating 1,200 calories per day I can reach my goal by March of 2015.

GAH!!!!!!!!!

I did put "light activity" in the exercise portion.

This is for a 65 pound loss.  

If I don't see some consistent results, I give up.  

@ dawn.... it took me about a year for the first twenty pounds, and then about another year for the next seven.

the goal setting that worked for me long term was to eat in a way that would increase the odds i would live to hold grandbabies.  so the focus was on nutrition and serving size and calories, and it worked. 

it is still working, although i am currently losing weight without trying, for the first time in my life, which the doctor takes to be a bad sign; i'm headed in for more tests today :(. 

@ lifeoftheparty.... a walk in the rain can be lovely, a walk in a tornado not so much ;).  mall walking works if rain isn't your thing....

ann

MAMommy and wapitit, thank you, I will ask the doc for some more in depth hormone testing, and ask about seeing an endocrinologist. My nutritionist did talk to me about the estrogen dominance and told me that drinking green tea helped- I need to start doing that again. And I actually was using the progesterone cream for a bit..... Right before I got pregnant actually. I have never been sure if that helped or not.

And Kung Fu Panda, yes, I belong to SportFit and have done some Zumba and Step classes. I even recently purchased Zumba shoes.... I just need to make going a priority.

Wait, what's a Zumba shoe? Are they like dance sneakers?

What do you do for exercise? That might be helpful. Even if it is just short walks to start or a short exercise DVD. I could stand to lose 60-70 pounds easily. I lost 80 and gained back 35 when I injured my ankle.

I try to do a Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk if I am in the house. I prefer to walk 30-45 minutes a day with a friend. I am taking an exercise ball class at church. Yes, I am the biggest one there but it is exercise and most of the exercises are doable for me (and it is a lot of fun).

I know that exercise can be very hard with little ones so maybe try taking them for walks or check out spark people .com as they have exercises videos for all fitness levels and many are only 5-10 minutes long. Reality is, I will NEVER do a 45 minute long DVD so I am much better off finding something shorter and doable.

UGH.  I can't imagine working for 5 full years to lose this weight.  Heck, I have worked for years....it isn't coming off.

The closest mall is 20 miles away.   But I do have a treadmill I walk on.

Dawn

@ dawn.... it took me about a year for the first twenty pounds, and then about another year for the next seven.

the goal setting that worked for me long term was to eat in a way that would increase the odds i would live to hold grandbabies.  so the focus was on nutrition and serving size and calories, and it worked. 

it is still working, although i am currently losing weight without trying, for the first time in my life, which the doctor takes to be a bad sign; i'm headed in for more tests today :(. 

@ lifeoftheparty.... a walk in the rain can be lovely, a walk in a tornado not so much ;).  mall walking works if rain isn't your thing....

ann

I am losing weight right now.

We are really healthy eaters but I still have put on weight for the past few years. We eat grass-fed beef and pastured chicken and eggs, coconut and olive oil, organic veggies, drink raw milk, etc. We eat very few carbs.

I signed up for myfitnesspal and started tracking my food. What I realized was that even with healthy eating, you have to follow the basic laws of the body's thermodynamics. I can fill myself with lots of good and healthy foods, and if I take in more calories than I burn, I'll store it as fat. Conversely, I can eat less healthy and if I expend more calories than I take in I will lose fat. I was gaining weight slowly eating about 1800 calories of really healthy food/day, when my intake needs to be closer to 1600 (I'm really petite). I'm now taking in less than that to create a deficit.

I know it's silly but it took me a bit to wrap my mind around that. I started thinking of my fat as a "bank" of energy that I had saved and know I needed to spend it. You know when you clean out your pantry because it's gotten messy and there's extra food stuffed in there that's not getting eaten? It's like that. I'm not spending effort or money to get even more calories, I'm going to use my "bank" and empty it out as much as I can.

So to that end I am actually eating more carbs than I normally do, but I am losing weight. You don't have to go low carb. Figure out how many calories you need to eat and subtract 300 calories from it. (myfitnesspal can help with this.) Then eat whatever you want within those calories. The first few days you'll mess up and realize it's dinnertime and you have no calories left, or that you ate within calorie limits but didn't get very much protein or calcium (they give you a chart). So you'll make adjustments and then it will become a game of how to get as much nutrition out of those calories and you'll lose weight in the meantime.

The meals are not onerous to prepare. A sample day for me might be:

cup of cottage cheese with fruit and coffee for breakfast

chicken apple sausages and veggies for lunch

2 cookies for snack

handful of nuts or piece of cheese or boiled eggs for snack

some sort of meat and veggies for dinner

I've been going for a 20-30 minute walk each day.

I forgot to add the saying: "Fat is lost in the kitchen and muscles are made in the gym."

It's soooo much easier to lose fat watching what you eat than exercising it off. If I don't eat something that's 200 calories, it took me a second (or a minute  :) ) to decide, and no physical effort. If I eat it, it will take me an hour of moderate exercise to get back to where I was. Exercise is great and has many benefits, including increased mental health and better fitness. But if you're limited for time and energy (and who isn't) and your primary goal is weight loss it's easier and takes less time to not eat the calories than to worry about taking them off through exercise.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, or a Nike commercial, but in my experience the only way to get exercise was to just do it. Since you do have ample access to trails and a gym, AND childcare, you just have to make it a priority. 

Exercise is often not fun, at least at first. Maybe it will never be fun for you. I've come to enjoy rewards when I exercise. I like that feeling of sweat dripping down. I love the music I download just to make the workouts go faster. I love not having to answer to anyone else during exercise. I love feeling more energetic in general. But no, it doesn't always feel that way. Sometimes I dread it. 

And one of my favorite sayings about exercise: The best exercise is the one you'll do. Maybe you don't like exercise because you've decided it should be X or Y or Z, when in fact those things may not appeal to you. You might have to try out some new things. You might find something you like and then get bored with it, so you add in a second activity. 

Oh, and start small. Aim for 10-15 minutes. Or promise yourself you could stop after 10 minutes, but then see how you feel. You might want to keep going! And if you have a really hectic week and don't get to exercise, don't let that derail you completely. Start fresh in the next week. Don't beat yourself up for what you don't do, congratulate yourself for what you add to your daily routine!

Can you find a friend to walk with or would your dh go for a walk with you in the evening with the kids? Honestly, I HATE exercise. I am though doing that fitness ball class and enjoying it-----because there is fellowship there and friends to laugh with. I walk with friends as it is a great way for us to vent our frustrations/stresses and solve all of the world's problems while we walk.

If you could find a fitness partner that would be ideal. There might be another mom in the same situation that needs to exercise but needs motivation. It is a lot easier to walk when a friend texts you and says I will meet you at 9am at the trailhead than it is to decide on your own to be there at 9am.

Ugh. Writing this makes me feel even more pathetic, sigh..... I do almost nothing for exercise lately. I have Pilates, Zumba and Bollywood exercise DVD's. I have walking trails (miles and miles of them) all through the neighborhood- I literally have to walk 200 ft. to get to them. And I have a gym membership, and childcare.

And most days, I intend to do something, but don't. Or I am too busy, b/c for some reason I have this whacks doodle idea that my house needs to be completely clean before I spend

time exercising. Or, I just do not have the energy and just don't.

I think what a previous poster said is right, I just need to decide to do it. And I don't understand why that is so hard! I feel like a giant lazy idiot. I CANNOT understand why I don't use the knowledge and tools I have at my disposal to just DO it..... Other than the fact that it is just so hard, and tiring.

Blah.

You "just" have to do it and power through long enough to establish the habit. After that, the habit will sustain itself through the habits and benefits (better sleep, sex, feeling better, good mood chemicals, etc).

The hard part is using enough will power to get into the habit zone.

Ugh. Writing this makes me feel even more pathetic, sigh..... I do almost nothing for exercise lately. I have Pilates, Zumba and Bollywood exercise DVD's. I have walking trails (miles and miles of them) all through the neighborhood- I literally have to walk 200 ft. to get to them. And I have a gym membership, and childcare.

And most days, I intend to do something, but don't. Or I am too busy, b/c for some reason I have this whacks doodle idea that my house needs to be completely clean before I spend

time exercising. Or, I just do not have the energy and just don't.

I think what a previous poster said is right, I just need to decide to do it. And I don't understand why that is so hard! I feel like a giant lazy idiot. I CANNOT understand why I don't use the knowledge and tools I have at my disposal to just DO it..... Other than the fact that it is just so hard, and tiring.

Blah.

You "just" have to do it and power through long enough to establish the habit. After that, the habit will sustain itself through the habits and benefits (better sleep, sex, feeling better, good mood chemicals, etc).

The hard part is using enough will power to get into the habit zone.

Research Wellbutrin. It's an anti depressant that Dr. Oz put Paula Deen on. It's known for reducing cravings. They won't even give it to girls with anorexia/bulimia tendencies.

Go to Weight Watchers and don't stop for a long, long time. Like, four or five years. Make it your main priority. Even if you've gained weight and have been "bad." Go.

I lost 50 lbs. I've kept it off for eight years now.

You can do this.

Alley

Research Wellbutrin. It's an anti depressant that Dr. Oz put Paula Deen on. It's known for reducing cravings. They won't even give it to girls with anorexia/bulimia tendencies.

Go to Weight Watchers and don't stop for a long, long time. Like, four or five years. Make it your main priority. Even if you've gained weight and have been "bad." Go.

I lost 50 lbs. I've kept it off for eight years now.

You can do this.

Alley

I am a total believer is accountability and support groups. My sister has done WW successfully. I believe in it.

Except, the diet plan is not a match for everyone - especially types with metabolic, pcos issues. Some predisposed to diabetes need more fat/protein and less carbs than can be managed on the WW plan.

I think you are over scheduled and need to rest up a bit. Exhaustion never helped anyone restore health or will power.

this is what jumped out at me most. When I am tired, I have NO willpower. I mean AT ALL! I really don't care if there are 500 grams of carbs in that cheesecake. I will eat it.

Start making sleep your #1 priority if at all possible. In fact, I might put all extra activities on hold for a month while I worked on getting rested. Can your dh help with the little one for part of the night?

I bet with a good night's sleep you will feel much more up to making the changes that you need to make.

Perhaps focus for 3 weeks on getting 8-9 hours of good deep sleep per 24 hours. (If you need a daytime nap that's fine. It counts)

Then for 3 weeks focus on adding in 15 minutes of exercise. I read a book while on my elliptical because otherwise it is so boring. But I "privilege" myself to the indulgence of readind during the day because I earn it while being on the machine.

Then for 3 weeks focus on bringing your carb count down to a reasonable for you level.

Take some baby steps toward your goal.

However, start toward that goal by getting some GOOD SLEEP!

I have lost 50 lbs and kept it off for over 5 years. My weight was also pretty darn high after that baby...and then it got higher. When I started taking responsibility for my health I was heavier than when I was 9 months pregnant.

I didn't start when I had a 10 month old though.  I waited until the baby was 3.5 and pretty reliably sleeping through the night. I could not have done it before then.

And I am assuming you aren't breastfeeding, given that you are considering drugs etc. Because if you are breastfeeding, you need to hold off on that.

And the best thing I ever did to help me lose weight was to buy a cheap kitchen scale and weigh and measure my food. I still do it. I can eat anything I want. Anything. But, I have to weigh and measure it and record my calories. I now have an app, but I started with pencil and paper. Half the time I didn't even keep the paper. I just had an index card I kept in my back pocket and threw out every evening. Right now, I am drinking 6oz of red wine: 150 calories

So, yes I workout for 45 mins almost every day, yes, I get on the scale every morning and record my weight, yes I drink a green all veg smoothie in the morning, yes, I aim for a minimum of 30 grams of fiber a day.... but it doesn't matter, really. All that came later and over a long time. I weigh and measure everything and I write it down. That is what matters and makes a difference. Just the act of having to see what I put in my mouth in writing is what keeps me honest with myself.

Start small, just make changes you can live with. Make a small change and live with it for a few weeks and then make another small change. Create an environment of success. Don't do anything that makes you miserable. If you hate broccoli, don't eat it, ok?

If you are going to spend the $$ on some medication I would first spend the $$ and join Weight Watchers. Go to the meetings and step on their scale every week. They are a great example of a behaviour modification program. You know what to do, you just need to change your behaviour.

Oh, and don't think ONE HUNDRED POUNDS.  Think 10%. Just try to lose 10% of your weight and go from there. I was just aiming for 10% but by the time I lost that much I felt like I was just figuring out what I was doing. That was the hardest weight I ever lost. It got much easier after that. Or, maybe you will lose that 10% and decide to sit tight for a bit. That is legit.

another motivational thing that might help...I am sure the end goal seems so far away, so you are going to have to find small rewards for yourself along the way.

Can you buy yourself a nice/pretty item of clothing that is one size smaller than you are now? Then you can reward yourself with a date night while wearing that pretty thing. Even if it feels "wasteful" to buy something that you will eventually need to get rid of, those small rewards can  help motivate you.

just a note about exercise.  I have found that cardio makes me retain fluid.  My hips and back hurt like crazy and I get "puffy" (rings tight, shoes tight, etc).  My  nutritionist says it is because I'm not eating enough fat.  My gf says it is wheat.  Dh says it is fluid intake.  My doc says it is hormone balance.  I don't have a clue why.  A PT friend has encouraged me to focus on stretching, core strength, and muscle.  I'm 51 by the way if that matters at all.  I know muscle is more effecient at burning calories.  I know muscle is essential for a healthy back and keeping internal organs in place.  I know I feel better when I follow a plan more like Pilates than a walking program. 

Find what works for your body.  If it is Zumba, then do it.  Walking, get moving.  IF something doesn't work, try something else.  Just get moving.  Be safe, use good shoes, take whatever precautions you need to take, talk to your health care provider, and enjoy the process.  If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it consistently. 

I was addicted to carbs & was obese (by the charts).  I thought I could never live without my carbs as I got lightheaded, grumpy, etc. when I went too long without eating.  Then seeing the family pictures from dd's 21st spurred me into action.  I had tried the "eat healthy & give up Coke, etc." route a number of times.  I would slowly lose about 5 pounds over 2-3 months before life got too crazy to deal with & I fell back into my old habits & then gain back what I'd lost + a lot more.  I decided I needed to find a way of eating (WoE) that was sustainable long-term.  

On 29 April I began to follow the 5:2 diet.  It is more of a WoE than a diet for me.  As I need routine to be successful, I have done 4:3 (fasting MWF) each week.  The first week I lost over 6 pounds!  This helped to motivate me through the headaches, etc. of carb withdrawl.  I do contine to eat carbs, but not on my fasting days.  This has helped me to end my addiction & I now eat less carbs without feeling deprived.  Things I like about the 5:2 WoE include:

---No special foods to be purchased

---No weekly meeting / membership fees (there is a 5:2 FB page that is great support)

---You eat the foods you enjoy as long as you stay within the calorie limit on fasting days & don't go crazy on non-fasting days.

---I eat a balanced diet over the week & am now eating much healthier than ever before in my life.

---You control what/when you eat.

Over the past 24 weeks I have lost 30 pounds.  I have moved from obese to overweight & now am only a few pounds above the top end of healthy  :hurray:   I have gone from a size 14/16 being almost too small, to fitting comfortable into a size 10 for the first time in a couple of decades.  

And all this was without focusing on exercise at all.  I've been amazed at how (for me) the key to losing weight is reducing what I eat over the week (not daily) & exercise is a bonus, not a necessity.  Surprisingly now I do choose to exercise as it isn't the horrible experience it was when I was obese.  

JMHO

Join Myfitnesspal and start talking to the other people with PCOS there. I have it myself but it's been under control for several years with frequent, vigorous exercise.

Honestly, the sheer tedium of tracking food makes me eat less. It also makes me indulge a lot less at buffets when I realize that I'm going to have to figure out how to track it. Also, entering food before I eat it sometimes makes me say 'holy crap! those two little cookies are 260 calories? I think I can handle just one.'

You might consider watching the movie Forks over Knives. It is streaming on netflix. I don't do everything suggested (a fat free vegan diet) but I do find it inspirational. I watch it every now and again when I need to be reminded that my health is my responsibility and my duty to myself. I can't help anyone else if my own 'oxygen mask' isn't on

I got my blood work back today. I am officially, diabetic. On the ha1c test... Under 5.6 is normal, 5.7 to 6.4 is pre-diabetes and 6.5 and up is diabetes.

Mine is 6.5 :(

My overall cholesterol is only 171- LDL is 94; but, my triglycerides are 205 (high) and HDL is 36 (too low).

Everything else is normal.

Dr. wants me to take the metformin and try the low carb, high (healthy) fat diet. And start exercising. I'll go back in 3 months to see if anything has changed.

As long as I stay below 7.0, I don't need insulin.

I got the kick in the butt I needed, but I'm not too happy about it.....

Google "5:2 Diet"   Many people eat this way for the health benefits, weight loss is a nice side effect.  On the 5:2 FB page a number of people have seen changes that moved them out of diabetes & back to normal health.  Improvements in blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. have been mentioned as well.  A good book to read the "The Fast Diet" by Dr. Michael Mosley.  Another is "The 5:2 Diet Book" by Kate Harrison.  Both are easy read books.  

JMHO