Menu

BPA danger

DawnM

How dangerous is BPA?

I was reading a Tupperware thing online saying that all Tupperware prior to 2010 should be thrown out or used for non food items due to BPA.

UGH.

I have $100s of Modular Mates in my cupboards that I love.

Do I really need to replace this all immediately?

This is one take on it.  http://mommymythbuster.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/myth-10-baby-bottles-with-bpa-are-dangerous/

I think this is a situation like buying organic vs. conventional foods. You have to decide how much risk you want to take and if it's worth the extra money to you.

Possibly.  I would note, though, that 2008 is an "old" article.

How dangerous is BPA?

I was reading a Tupperware thing online saying that all Tupperware prior to 2010 should be thrown out or used for non food items due to BPA.

UGH.

I have $100s of Modular Mates in my cupboards that I love.

Do I really need to replace this all immediately?

I also have the modular mates- many of them, and I am still using them.  I don't cook with them or store wet food in them- they hold my flours, grains, beans, etc.   I don't know how much exposure happens from using them that way, but for now I'm not concerned.  I've had them for about ten years.  DD just turned 13 and puberty is right where it's supposed to be for her age, and we have zero health problems in our family.

This is one take on it.  http://mommymythbuster.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/myth-10-baby-bottles-with-bpa-are-dangerous/

I think this is a situation like buying organic vs. conventional foods. You have to decide how much risk you want to take and if it's worth the extra money to you.

It must have taken a lot of googling to find that article.  In the five years since that was last updated, the FDA has banned BPA in baby bottles.

As for the Tupperware, I'd use them to store dry goods. Don't microwave, discard any that are scratched, hand wash.  But no need to trash them all, I don't think. Not a great risk in the grand scheme of things.

I have concerns about BPA.  It is an endocrine disrupter, among other things.  DS has health issues linked to high BPA exposure in utero - but those exposures were much more than the exposure that might come from food containers.  We have removed all BPA sources that we can from our home, as a result.  (That was an awkward sentence!)  We minimize his exposures now, and talk to him about limiting future exposure.  Plus, we work on helping his body detox.  

But in your case, if you don't have any health issues in the house... And you are not microwaving/freezing these containers... Maybe it's not such a risk.  I don't know.  Hopefully someone here will know.

A good book on the topic, if you have boys, is Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax.  He has a book on girls, too.  They are not the newest books, but were pivotal in our journey to understanding the impact of BPA.  You might be able to find something more recent, but I do think his books are worthwhile.  There is a section on BPA in Boys Adrift.

I only do this as well.

Rice, beans, sugars, flour, coconut, cocoa, nuts.

I also have the modular mates- many of them, and I am still using them.  I don't cook with them or store wet food in them- they hold my flours, grains, beans, etc.   I don't know how much exposure happens from using them that way, but for now I'm not concerned.  I've had them for about ten years.  DD just turned 13 and puberty is right where it's supposed to be for her age, and we have zero health problems in our family.

It must have taken a lot of googling to find that article.  In the five years since that was last updated, the FDA has banned BPA in baby bottles.

As for the Tupperware, I'd use them to store dry goods. Don't microwave, discard any that are scratched, hand wash.  But no need to trash them all, I don't think. Not a great risk in the grand scheme of things.

Quite the contrary, it was one of the first that came up.   :)  I guess the last time I searched was when I had a baby.  I did go back and find another source that is more recent.  http://www.bestfoodfacts.org/food-for-thought/bpa_foodpackaging  Again, I'm no expert and I'm not trying to push one side or the other.  

I agree with your advice, Poppy.  That is what I would do, too.  

A good book on the topic, if you have boys, is Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax.  He has a book on girls, too.  They are not the newest books, but were pivotal in our journey to understanding the impact of BPA.  You might be able to find something more recent, but I do think his books are worthwhile.  There is a section on BPA in Boys Adrift.

Great book.  Very worthwhile read (the BPA info is excellent, but the book covers so much more). 

Re: BPA, we try to avoid it.  Agreeing with those who suggested just using it for dry goods, and phasing it out over time. Definitely don't microwave it.

I have concerns about BPA. It is an endocrine disrupter, among other things. DS has health issues linked to high BPA exposure in utero - but those exposures were much more than the exposure that might come from food containers. We have removed all BPA sources that we can from our home, as a result. (That was an awkward sentence!) We minimize his exposures now, and talk to him about limiting future exposure. Plus, we work on helping his body detox.

But in your case, if you don't have any health issues in the house... And you are not microwaving/freezing these containers... Maybe it's not such a risk. I don't know. Hopefully someone here will know.

A good book on the topic, if you have boys, is Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax. He has a book on girls, too. They are not the newest books, but were pivotal in our journey to understanding the impact of BPA. You might be able to find something more recent, but I do think his books are worthwhile. There is a section on BPA in Boys Adrift.

If you don't mind sharing, how do you know he has complications from BPA exposure in the womb? I've never heard of this before.

If you don't mind sharing, how do you know he has complications from BPA exposure in the womb? I've never heard of this before.

His birthmother was exposed to high levels via a commercial paint commonly used in hospitals. Not exposed from being in the hospital near dry paint, but through being a commercial painter. Those types of paints are well documented to have higher than normal levels of BPA for paint, and effects on fetuses are now documented as well. We have also done specific testing, to measure VOCs etc in his blood. It's been a long journey with a doc very interested in pursuing the effects, she attends conferences for ideas regularly, and DS is one of her special patients, I can't remember the proper word at the moment. Feel free to ask for clarification on any of that, I am not on top of the game today. :)

As I understand it, we don't know the effects in humans. However, I'm one to err on the side of caution given what I've seen of the animal studies. My major concern is wrt pregnancy and children, so if there were only adults in the household, I probably wouldn't be as careful. OTOH, there are so many BPA-free products now it's easy to avoid them in most cases. Avoiding all but BPA-free canned foods is the only challenging area.

From an environmental perspective, I think we should do everything we can to keep endocrine disruptors out of our waters and our wildlife.

As far as the tupperware... I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be putting warm food into it or microwaving it. Ditto for storing grease or anything high in fat (BPA is fat soluble).

As I understand it, we don't know the effects in humans. However, I'm one to err on the side of caution given what I've seen of the animal studies. My major concern is wrt pregnancy and children, so if there were only adults in the household, I probably wouldn't be as careful. OTOH, there are so many BPA-free products now it's easy to avoid them in most cases. Avoiding all but BPA-free canned foods is the only challenging area.

From an environmental perspective, I think we should do everything we can to keep endocrine disruptors out of our waters and our wildlife.

As far as the tupperware... I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be putting warm food into it or microwaving it. Ditto for storing grease or anything high in fat (BPA is fat soluble).

We've started trying to buy all canned beans from Eden Organic, which is BPA free, and tomato products in glass only.

Now you have me wondering about something though. I buy the large bottles of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Costco, but they are sold in plastic bottles. I never thought about this being a concern until you mentioned the grease or fat thing above. Should I make sure I only buy EVOO in glass bottles going forward?

We buy in glass now.  Our Costco carries some, but the price isn't quite as good as the plastic bottles.  

I've seen the glass in the non-organic bottles, but not the organic/glass combo.

I might have to seek out another spot to find organic EVOO in a glass bottle. Too bad, because I love the Kirkland Organic EVOO!

We've started trying to buy all canned beans from Eden Organic, which is BPA free, and tomato products in glass only.

Now you have me wondering about something though. I buy the large bottles of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Costco, but they are sold in plastic bottles. I never thought about this being a concern until you mentioned the grease or fat thing above. Should I make sure I only buy EVOO in glass bottles going forward?

I hadn't considered olive oil and the kind I buy comes in plastic. Bleh.

I've seen the glass in the non-organic bottles, but not the organic/glass combo.

I might have to seek out another spot to find organic EVOO in a glass bottle. Too bad, because I love the Kirkland Organic EVOO!

Not at Costco (unfortunately), but I get organic evoo in glass.  I just buy the cheap jug for all other cooking.  

My understanding is that olive oil should be in as opaque a container as you can get to prevent deterioration of nutrients it contains. I buy mine in a can, but there are also very dark green glass bottles. If buying in glass, you should store it in a dark cabinet to prevent further light penetration.

With respect to BPA, I have been replacing our plastic storage. I don't put anything hot in plastic that we have left. Though we don't use a lot of canned goods, I have looked for a brand that is BPA free. Muir is one. Our local Walmart is carrying it now, so it's not as pricey as at a specialty store.

When looking at studies, remember that there have been issues with industry sponsored studies. Additionally, strains of rats (Sprague Dawley) that are more resistant to the effects of hormone disruption have been used in some industry studies. Some recent studies also indicate that diet vs. bolus exposure may influence things. As a result, some of the study designs and outcomes showing no safety risk should be viewed through that lens.

My husband is a chemist, and in our circle of friends, quite a few have gone from the "why would you worry about that?" camp to being very concerned. He also has met with several researchers who work on BPS (BPA replacement) and they are finding it to be more of a concern than BPA so far.

There is also data showing that many of these endocrine disrupting chemicals have synergy with one another. As a result, testing on a single compound may not completely reflect real life exposure.

I have PCOS, and as a result, this is something I have been looking into for the last decade, as my children certainly don't need any assistance with increased risk of heart disease, insulin resistance, etc.

The thought of replacing all my modular mates makes me ill.  I have them in EVERY cupboard in the kitchen.  Literally.  

Several for diff. kinds of nuts

hot cocoa

flour

sugar

brown sugar

coconut

quinoa

choc chips

Drink mixes

rice

pancake mix

bread

one for snacks

wheat berries

flax seeds

protein shake mixes

cereal (about 5 of them)

and more......

UGH.

I do not microwave them, they are only for storage.