Menu

what to feed 20-25 teens?

HollyDay

1 tray baked ziti and 1 tray baked chicken alfredo with fruit, salad, bar cookies

nacho/taco salad bar: crockpot of taco meat, shredded cheese, chips, shred lettuce, beans, tomatoes, green onions, etc, etc. Teens can make own nachos or taco salad. fruit, cookies.

Anything.  :D  :lol:

Seriously, though... Huge trays of lasagna.  Spaghetti with garlic bread and a salad.  Dessert if you want to.

I had this idea when I was like, a sophomore or a junior in high school to invite my friends over for dinner during one of the meal breaks in band camp (it was at the school, 8-12, 1-4, 6-8, daily for a week and a half or so) and we had around 20 or so.  It was at the house, though, so it was a little easier to maneuver.  :)  I'm pretty sure my grandparents did something like I said above. 

They were always so willing to go along with my ideas of fun - let's invite all my friends over for dinner!  :lol:  And she'd have this whole meal ready, complete with drinks and dessert.  :)  (I also talked them into chaperoning the weekend band trip when I was a junior, after begging for over a year!)

We actually did something similar the night before our rehearsal and dinner for the wedding.  All of DH's family came into town that day, as well as some of mine, so there were a lot of extra mouths to feed.  I think she did BBQ sandwiches for that one (she had a BBQ recipe for the crock pot that could feed all of us AND have leftovers!)

Anyway, have fun!  :)

Cheeseburgers. My wife can make 15 Cheeseburgers, from 2 pounds of ground beef. We are lucky, because the least expensive ground beef, where we shop, is excellent. This will take you awhile, but all you need are hamburger buns, ground beef, cheese, ketchup, tomatoes and lettuce, and you have a great Cheeseburger. This week, I think Wednesday, was National Cheeseburger Day in the USA. (Thanks to the U.S. Embassy in Bogota, Colombia, for that interesting fact).  Stuffed potatoes, but I'm not sure how you make those...  You will need a lot of Coca Cola, to wash down the Cheeseburgers.

As a college student, in a college town, who is sick of and over fed on pizza. Please, please, please don't do it.

You could fry fish and french fries (tilapia is sold in large bags of vacuum sealed and skinned fillets about $15 for 30 pieces at WalMart) and a good seasonable fish that takes on the flavor of what its seasoned with.

Chilli! You can make it in a crockpot and put the various dressings/toppings in large bowls and let people serve themselves.

Is there any place that you can order wings from in town? In my town they're expensive, but a 2 hour drive and you can get 100 fried or BBQ wings for cheap and they come with fries. My dad usually brings some when he's been traveling or visiting his best friend.

Hot dogs--if there is a Sams, Costco or Ware house grocery near you, find out their hot dog prices. You can make them easily in the oven, transport them w/o a lot of fuss and everyone can serve themselves and you just need something like chips and drinks to go with them.

There are a billion casseroles with and without meat that are fairly uninvolved to make.

Another option is pulled pork sandwiches.  Get a pork shoulder roast, figure 4 sandwiches per pound after cooking.  Season (even just salt and pepper), cook all day in crockpot.  Remove roast, remove and reserve liquid, shred pork, add bbq sauce and cooking liquid to reach desired sauciness, put back in crockpot to keep warm.  Serve with buns, coleslaw or baby carrots, chips, cookies or brownies. 

Chili and cornbread, and a salad. If you have a mix of meat-eaters and vegetarians you could even do two pots, one with meat and one with veggies (beans, onions, peppers). Or you can do one red chili and a white chicken chili.

Something chocolate-y always goes well for dessert after chili.

If cost is an issue, I'd go with pasta. It's easy and cheap. Buy a couple of disposable roasting pans and cook up a bunch of noodles (penne, rigatoni, etc) and cook them in batches, add some good bottled or canned sauces, shredded mozzarella mixed in and on top. You can add ground beef or meatballs if you find them on sale. Cover in foil and bake til hot but don't dry it out. Add a salad and rolls, done! :)

Rice and meatballs/ chicken and broccoli can also be done in big roasters with your choice of sauce.