Menu

Will this taste good? Opinions needed

Chris in VA

So I've been trying to cook more and do more recipes since our time in Israel. 

Today, I put thin pork chops, a couple of chopped apples, an onion, and some cream of chicken soup (I know, I know--I'll make my own from now on, I just used what I had) in the crockpot.

Will it need more spices? Will it be gross? I was just thinking of the tastes--

Oh dear, did I ruin dinner? 

I often do pork chops with apple & onion. I've never added a cream of... to them, but then, I'm usually doing them stove-top, not crock-pot, and don't have cream of... soups here anyway. 

I think if your family likes the creamy sauces like that, it will likely be good. Taste-test; the only thing you might need to add, depending on the soup, is salt/pepper &/or cumin. I find cumin a good add-in when doing the apples, just a light dash. 

Enjoy!

So I've been trying to cook more and do more recipes since our time in Israel.

Today, I put thin pork chops, a couple of chopped apples, an onion, and some cream of chicken soup (I know, I know--I'll make my own from now on, I just used what I had) in the crockpot.

Will it need more spices? Will it be gross? I was just thinking of the tastes--

Oh dear, did I ruin dinner?

Time in Israel inspired you to cook pork chops? Oy vey! :D

Bill

Apple and pork =good.   The sweet/tart of the apples is a nice complement to pork.

Cream based sauce =good.  A cream sauce creates a nice savory meal and if you like gravy, it does double duty for rice or potatoes.

Apples and cream and pork =? not a combo I would have tried but maybe it will be good?  :confused1: Savory: Sweet/tart/creamy isn't a flavor I can recall having. Apple pie ala mode is common, but that isn't a savory dish so I still don't know. 

I also agree with another poster about cooking thin pork chops in the crockpot.  They may dry out pretty fast so keep an eye on them.  You may need to cook it until barely done and then reheat for dinner. 

I bet its good. I have a recipe for pork loin with apple cream sauce that is divine. I'm pretty sure there are onions too. Really, really good!

Curry powder would make this awesome (provided you like curry).  Pork, creamy sauce, onions and even apples are all parts of curry recipes I've made.  

I agree, Curry or another warm savory spice blend may really pull this together! 

Time in Israel inspired you to cook pork chops? Oy vey! :D

Bill

You should've seen our menu when we came home--bacon x 3, pork chops, hot dogs...lol

I even bought Bacon Duck Tape for dd's school supplies...(yes, I know it's duct tape, Duck Tape is a brand).

We got pretty sick of it and went back to healthier eating after a few days...

Well, guess what? IT WAS YUMMY!!

The cream soup just dissolved, basically, and the apples and onions were yummy. Pork wasn't overcooked at all (about 7 hours on low), basically falling apart tender.

Who knew? 

We had mashed potatoes with it--I tried the "boil whole unpeeled, put in ice water, peels slough off" method. THAT was a fail, as they didn't cook well--but they did peel super easily! 

Ah yes, I'm a culinary work in progress...