Menu

Taking Amtrak for the first time-tomorrow!

happyWImom

We're going from WI to Portland, and my mom even sprung for the family bedroom!   :hurray:  The kids are so excited.  

You should see my carry on bags, though.  One is jammed full of vitamins & meds, tea, snacks & toiletries, and the other is all books, my laptop, and their math. :huh:  We have 2 other duffels (that are getting checked) one is completely full of rain boots & water shoes, and the other are just shoes.  That doesn't include our actual suitcases with actual clothes! :scared: There are only the 3 of us (my mom obviously is packing her own stuff)

How can we be so high maintenance?  Please tell me we aren't the only ones like this!  I so envy those people who can just throw a few things in a bag & go.

It is fun! Have a great time! We had more stuff when we traveled as 3 than we do now as a family of 6 lol. Now we can take 3 suitcases and a bag of food and be good to go for a week. :)

I thought we had a lot when they were babies, but this is crazy!  Thanks for the good wishes. :001_smile:

Sounds wonderful! Have fun! We took Amtrak to Glacier Park this summer on that same line, and our daughter who worked at Glacier this summer just arrived home on it today. :) I'd recommend calling or checking the train's status online before you go, because that train is often late.

How fun! I love traveling by train. We've never taken long trips, just short ones, up to Sacramento and back for the day. Once we took the train down to Hanford (45 minute trip) for ice cream, spent the day walking around down town and came back in the afternoon. Lots of fun. Definitely the way to travel. The funniest sight I saw from the train was once coming back from Sac we were in the country and there was this open field and 3 teenage boys in it. I looked and they'd all dropped their drawers as the train went by. I guess mooning the train is a timeless stunt.

I can't wait to meet you on the train! (we're heading to Portland tomorrow, on the same train) My dd is looking forward to having "friends" on the train.   :D

Me too!   I was wondering if this post would catch your eye!

(We pm'd here & are all getting together on the train-another WTM "meetup") :001_smile:

Me too! I was wondering if this post would catch your eye!

(We pm'd here & are all getting together on the train-another WTM "meetup") :001_smile:

That is cool!

I used to take Amtrak all the time growing up. I love it...except when there is a problem. But that's life, right? Cars break down, too.

That is cool!

I used to take Amtrak all the time growing up. I love it...except when there is a problem. But that's life, right? Cars break down, too.

It's better than delays that you deal with on airplanes-at least I don't have to worry about making my connection!  And, we're going to be gone quite a while, so if we don't get there on time, no big deal.

Oh, I love train travel!!!  I've never done it in America, but we traveled all over Europe by train and it's fantastic. I want to do a cross country trip in the US with my kids when Han Solo is a bit older.  There's something romantic about the thought of train travel.  Sadly the reality does not meet those romantic expectations, but it's still fun!

We made it to Portland yesterday. The kids had so much fun together! We're going to try to meet up again once we're all back in WI. Dd has gained a new penpal and dh had a long discussion about electronics with Tammi's son. :)

We made it to Reedsport!  After much needed showers  :tongue_smilie: & sleep, we are ready for the tide pools!  

Happy to have made new friends- :hurray: for the WTM!  

We made it to Reedsport! After much needed showers :tongue_smilie: & sleep, we are ready for the tide pools!

Happy to have made new friends- :hurray: for the WTM!

Glad to hear that you made it there safely. Yay for showers! (you do have access to them in the sleeper car, you know....I've never tried it, though. I've had bathroom doors not lock/pop open, so....

We're heading to OMSI today to see the mummies. Dd saw a billboard with them on it yestday, but couldn't see the OMSI logo, so she still doesn't know. :)