Menu

Avoiding mom jeans

Night Elf

I'll admit it. I wear mom jeans. I have a tummy. It's not just a poochy tummy, it's a big tummy like looking pregnant. I feel like any jeans below my belly button will cause it to hang over and I hate that look. It's so unflattering. So I wear big tshirts that hang way down so no one can see my jeans are above my belly button. What kind of jeans do women with large stomachs wear?

I've always thought "mom jeans" was a funny name...because aren't all jeans worn by moms technically mom jeans?

To answer your question, though--I've had good luck with Not Your Daughter's Jeans (pricey but worth it!)  and Eddie Bauer.  I think a mid-rise works best--not too low, not too high.  You probably don't want anything with a very tapered leg.   Another trick is to draw focus somewhere else besides the midsection--such as a scarf or eye-catching necklace to draw the eye up. 

And then, if you find a pair of jeans you really like, consider buying more than one pair.  I have not done this and always wish I did because I can't find the exact style anymore.

Regarding blue jeans, a dark blue color is best. Boot cut is universally flattering.  Also, a long top or tunic is always stylish as long as it has a nice fit. Wearing standard tee shirts is typically not flattering after the age of 40 or so even on women who are a size 3, regardless of the type of jeans or capris or shorts one is wearing. (Now they make women's fit tee shirts which look better.) As women get older, fit becomes more important. 

Also consider maybe pants other than blue jeans in addition to a nice pair of dark, boot cut jeans.  Sometimes we get stuck wearing the same type of clothing since we're so used to it. Just an idea. 

In the other jeans thread, there is a link that helps pick out jeans; maybe it will help you! (Or maybe, like me, it will make you never want to go out in jeans again, lol.)

Well, I refuse to wear any pants that are supposed to be worn below my natural waist. That means finding anything locally is almost impossible. I buy jeans from LL Bean (they might be the LL Bean label; I keep forgetting to check, lol). When I was young and rilly, rilly thin, I could wear hip-huggers, but I refuse to do it any more. They are unattractive on most people. Just sayin'. If someone wants to accuse me of wearing mom-jeans, so be it. I'm good with that.

Try trouser style jeans in a dark wash. If you're a size 14 or above, these might work:

http://www.lanebryant.com/denim/view-all-denim/bootcut-jean-with-tighter-tummy-technology/20907c20904p188641/index.pro?selectedColor=Dark%20wash&selectedSize=None%20selected

(There are always coupons for LB!)

http://www.oldnavy.gap.com/product.html?dn=op269891002&dv=0&shopid=1&pdn=oc5668

You want the shirt to hit below your widest point. Tunic tops are good, or layering a cardi/sweater over a tank top. V-necks with a necklace to draw eyes up to your face and straight leg to boot cut (not flare) to balance the tummy. Skip skinny jeans!

Edited: you may not need the plus size. I was picking what I buy/would buy. :) I also feel more comfortable when I'm wearing a compression-type tank top. Nothing crazy like Spanx unless it's a fancy occasion. ;) They make a huge difference even with casual shirts. Less clingy, more smooth-y.

I've always been thick waisted (i.e. poochy tummy) and I love my mid-rise jeans.  They flatter my body type far more than any natural waist pants ever did.  It took me a long time to even try any on though due to all the "muffin tops" around - you do have to be sure to get the right size waist to avoid that.

When you put a lot of weight around your middle, all jeans kind of become 'mom jeans' because you have a 'mom body.' When I get back from travel next week, I am going to decide to either start running again, or to accept that I am, in fact, a mom, and that my 'mom body' is worth it to have three great kids calling me 'Mom.'

I do best, for the record, with light weight, boot cut, mid-rise jeans.

I'll admit it. I wear mom jeans. I have a tummy. It's not just a poochy tummy, it's a big tummy like looking pregnant. I feel like any jeans below my belly button will cause it to hang over and I hate that look. It's so unflattering. So I wear big tshirts that hang way down so no one can see my jeans are above my belly button. What kind of jeans do women with large stomachs wear?

I like a higher rise. I found a pair from Maurice's that goes a bit higher to avoid the muffin top but doesn't compromise style. They are inexpensive too. But you need to buy them TIGHT because they will loosen as you wear them.

Okay... I just posted this link in the other jean thread... but I'm copying it again because it is sooo amazing!  Check this out for comparisons of the same woman in different jeans.  She also has a few other blog entries on jean comparisons!

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

I have to second this!

I read through her posts about pockets, pocket placement, etc. and then went and tried on several pair of my old jeans and a few of my dd's that fit and I am a convert. Who knew that pocket size and placement would make such a huge difference?!

Thanks so much, staceyobu, for posting the link!

I wear skirts and dresses (all with a hemline that hits at or above the knee!) 5 days a week. It has helped my self esteem immeasurably. :thumbup:

When I have to wear pants, well....I'm going to try the suggestions from the blog staceyobu linked.

Meh, it's fashion. Whatever we're demonizing now will circle around again eventually. How many years until people are saying "I can't believe she wears her pants so low. It makes her waist look wide and her legs look short." I'm as guilty of staying somewhat current as the next girl, but I don't think pocket placement or the width of the leg is any sort of game changer. I think we just choose to look at different things at different times.

I also think they looked like they turned sideways a bit in a few of those after pictures.

Okay... I just posted this link in the other jean thread... but I'm copying it again because it is sooo amazing!  Check this out for comparisons of the same woman in different jeans.  She also has a few other blog entries on jean comparisons!

http://www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html

Now see, the only problem jeans I see in those pictures are the ones with the pockets that are so big that they extend down almost onto the thigh. All the other ones just look the same. And the ones she says look bad look fine to me. I haven't had jeans that hug my body in years. Mine are relaxed fit and are baggy. I figure I'm too old for jeans that hug my body from waist to knee. I guess I'm truly stuck in the mom image.

I have to second this!

I read through her posts about pockets, pocket placement, etc. and then went and tried on several pair of my old jeans and a few of my dd's that fit and I am a convert. Who knew that pocket size and placement would make such a huge difference?!

Thanks so much, staceyobu, for posting the link!

Yes, "Mom jeans" have to do with pocket placement.  With my body, Eddie Bauer are some of the worst offenders. I ditched my Levi's too.

After reading the famous blog post a year or two ago, I wrote down the suggested brands and spent more than an hour at Goodwill.  I looked both for the brands and at the pockets.  I have never had thin thighs, and my bit of muffin top is hidden under longer tops.

Two of the brands I (now) wear are American Eagle boot cut and Macy's INC (International Concepts).  While the INC jeans are $$, I watch for sales and recently bought a $70 pair for $16. I bought a Nordstrom's pair at The Rack.

I'm quickly closing in on 50, and my butt has slid halfway down my thighs, but I never want to wear Mom jeans again.

Stacey, thank you for the link!

Now see, the only problem jeans I see in those pictures are the ones with the pockets that are so big that they extend down almost onto the thigh. All the other ones just look the same. And the ones she says look bad look fine to me. I haven't had jeans that hug my body in years. Mine are relaxed fit and are baggy. I figure I'm too old for jeans that hug my body from waist to knee. I guess I'm truly stuck in the mom image.

No, you are NOT stuck in the mom image! The woman who writes the blog took her 57yo mom jean shopping and found jeans that took 10 years off of her. She didn't look as though she were "trying to be young" either! She wrote a great post all about it.

AND - I love your hair cut! You look so happy and beautiful!