Menu

9th grade plan

Would anyone be willing to share their 9th grade plan with me? 

This is all I have decide for certain:

Grammar:  Analytical Grammar

Literature:

Writing: IEW Student Writing Intensive C

Vocab: 

Math:  Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1

History:

Science: Apologia Physical Science (required in my state)

PE:  Football at Local Christian School

Thank you in advance.

This is what I'm thinking for dd's 9th grade year:

English

Literature: Ancient Great Books

Composition: Lively Art of Writing 

Grammar: Dailygrammar.com

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Classical Roots Book C

Math

Geometry: Text by Jurgenson and Brown 

Science

Still not sure 

History 

Ancient History: History of the Ancient World by SWB, supplemental books from the library, this will be tied in with literature

Foreign Language 

Spanish: Visual Link 

P.E. .25 credit

Electives are still undecided 

9th grade for DS:

Math: Geometry (AoPS)

Science: Physics (Knight College Physics)

English/History: Ancient history and Lit. (Short History of Western Civ as spine+great books+ several Teaching Company courses)

Foreign language: Italian (Prego! An Invitation to Italian)

Electives:

Astronomy (TC lectures +Chaisson Astronomy Today)

US Government

PE

We cover Art, Music and Computer skills continuously throughout high school, 0.25 credit for each subject per school year

English -- Smarr's Intro to Lit, Writing With Skill, Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Math - Teaching Textbooks Algebra I w/ Life of Fred Beginning Algebra

History - Runkle Geography

Science - Holt Biology w/ Lab

Art - Geography through Art

Music - Piano Lessons (3rd Year)

Foreign Language - Visual Link Spanish I

Elective - Teen Coder Windows & Game Programming

My first 9th grader too.

English:  MCT Level 4 grammar, vocabulary, poetry, and practice books, Trisms Discovering the Ancient World for literature and writing

Math: MUS Algebra 1

History: Trisms DAW

Science: Science Shepherd Biology, Explore Evolution, maybe Trisms (Science History 1/2 credit)

Foreign Language: Destinos

Bible: Reasons to Believe's Good Science Good Faith or Greenleaf Press Old Testament (I'm leaning more towards the former because DS needs the science-based apologetics it provides, however the latter fits in with our history studies.)

Elective: some sort of learning all of the functions of our camera course followed by Oak Meadows photography syllabus, Trisms also have several elective credit options built into the course

My 9th grader is doing:

Russian w/ a private tutor

French-- Breaking the Barrier and French in Action

Latin--quick run through of Wheelock's (she has already been studying Latin for 3 yrs using other texts) and moving on to readers

alg 2--Foerster's

chem--Spectrum + Plato

Western Civ--combo of Beyond Boundaries and TC lectures

English--LLfLOTR + a lot of other Tolkien's works

Religion

She also does kick boxing and runs.

Your list looks similar to mine.

Writing - SWI-C

Literature - Oak Meadow English 9 + several more books in a homegrown lit. course.

Grammar - Analytical Grammar Season 1

Vocabulary - Wordly Wise 3000 Book 9 + Vocabulary From Classical Roots

Science - Apologia Physical Science (finish up at home), Apologia Biology (co-op class)

History - Oak Meadow World Geography

Math - Teaching Textbooks Geometry + Algebra 1 review

Bible - The Kingdom of God (Old Testament) by Breisch

Foreign Language - Easy Spanish Step-by-Step (co-op class) + Duolingo Spanish practice at home

Electives, Fine Arts, Music, Phys. Ed. - Drama, Photography, Drum Lessons, Tang Soo Do Karate, Baseball, Swimming

Math: Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1

Science: Science Shepherd Biology w/ labs

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish 2

English: Writing Strands, Easy Grammar 9, Ancient Great books for literature

History: SWB's History of the Ancient world with extra books from the library that go with literature

P.E.: mix of aerobics and home school family fitness, etc.

I'll have a 9th grader this year doing:

Math: MUS Geometry

Science: Miller Levine Biology w/DIVE

LA: Excellence in Lit and Wordly Wise

HIstory: NROC American History 2

Electives: 

Oak Meadow Health

Sports Medicine/Athletic Training

Driver's Ed

She also does competitive gymnastics, takes drum lessons and plays drums in our youth worship band

Our 9th grade plan is:

English:  CW Herodotus, WWiW2, R&S 9/10 book 1, and a few literature selections

Math:  Jacob's Geometry 2nd edition

Ancient Literature:  Great books a la WTM

History:  combination of Foundations of Western Civilization by Noble, Western Civilization by Spielvogel, and History of the Ancient World by Bauer

Science:  BJU Biology

Latin:  finish Latin Alive 2

Spanish:  BJU Spanish 1

PE:  log exercise hours for 0.5 credit

possibly one more elective for 0.5 credit

We just finished the following:

English - 9th grade TWTM reading list, focus on essay writing with various resources

Ancient World History - The Earth and Its People (Chaps. 1-7) and TC course, History of the Ancient World

Spanish I  - local high school

Geometry - local high school

Conceptual Physics - local high school

Health I - local high school (0.5 credits)

Conditioning and Sailing - (0.5 credits)

Speech I - local high school (0.5 credits)

Web Design I - local high school (0.5 credits)

I feel like I am missing something but I believe this is our final choice for 9th. It is what we have started anyway.

English: R & S

LLFTLOTR

Math: Jacob's Algebra

Science : Biology Miller/Levine

Social Studies: AAH I & II

Gov. Amercian Gov. + Original Documents

Reading Lit list from this time period

For. Lang : Lukeion Latin I

Rolling Acres German I

Computer: KidCoder,TeenCoder,Office

Mavis Beacon

Phys. Ed: Cardio kickboxing, HHA, T25

Art: Pastel School, Intro to Oil Painting/Acrylics

Electives: Woodworking

Extra : Dog 4-H, Dog training/kennel club work/Dog showing

Karate, studying and teaching

Spanish 1 - visual link and blaine tprs

Greek - papaloizos

English - Hake for easy grammar review, essentials in writing, workbook for argument

Literature - balancing the sword 1, old western culture, divine comedy with yale lectures and some documentaries, mythology and more

history - from creation to caanan

science - finish bju biology

bible - bible and its influence, unlocking the bible videos

music - music learning community, guitar

logic- james Madison and possibly traditional logic 1

philosophy - kreeft books, historyofphilosophy.net

fitness - weights, basketball, hiking/running, swimming

saxon algebra 2

English- CW Herodotus

Math- MUS algebra1 and geometry

Science - miller-Levine dragonfly book, home scientist labs

Great books- a large variety of sources for literature, SWB history of the Ancient World

Latin- LRTEG

Human Geo- two texts I can't remember the name of at present

Dance, dance, dance, dance and still more dance

Guitar, piano and voice

Drama club

We just finished the following:

English - 9th grade TWTM reading list, focus on essay writing with various resources

Ancient World History - The Earth and Its People (Chaps. 1-7) and TC course, History of the Ancient World

Spanish I  - local high school

Geometry - local high school

Conceptual Physics - local high school

Health I - local high school (0.5 credits)

Conditioning and Sailing - (0.5 credits)

Speech I - local high school (0.5 credits)

Web Design I - local high school (0.5 credits)

I was thinking about talking to the local public school to put dd in some classes at the school. May I ask how the public school your son is attending handles students dual enrolled, doing some courses at home? I am just confused about how they would handle the credits from courses at home.

I can't speak to the school counselor or office for another two weeks, so it would help if I had an idea about how it might be handled. TIA!

We have a good Public School enrichment program here.  Dd will go all day on Fridays and will take 6 periods:

Algebra 1 - Teaching Textbooks

Musical Theater - 1 hour with drama teacher, the next hour with music teacher

Photography

P.E.

World Geography - supplemented at home with Visualize World Geography

From Home and Online:

English 9 -  A mix of Essentials in Writing and a couple of Brave Writer Classes, Spelling and Vocab.  Will be writing a photography blog for English credit as well.

Literature - Center for Lit Online Discussion

Chemistry with lab - Still in decision mode - but looking at Conceptual Chemistry.  Will be taking with her brother

Health - Oak Meadow

American Sign Language 1 - Landry Academy

Local High School:

Driver's Ed

Other:

Club Volleyball

Piano Lessons

New puppy training and agility training

I was thinking about talking to the local public school to put dd in some classes at the school. May I ask how the public school your son is attending handles students dual enrolled, doing some courses at home? I am just confused about how they would handle the credits from courses at home.

I can't speak to the school counselor or office for another two weeks, so it would help if I had an idea about how it might be handled. TIA!

I think in most cases there is no acknowledgement of courses taught at home. The transcript would show ps courses or maybe ps plus recognized programs like state online courses or dual enrollment with community college.

This is what we're doing:

Grammar: Our Mother Tongue

Writing: IEW SWI-CC B, Norton Essential Literary Terms

Literature/History/Bible: Omnibus IV with Spielvogel

Math: TT Alg. 2, and LOF Advanced Algebra

Science: Apologia Biology/lab

Foreign Language: LifePac Spanish 1

Fine Art: Photography (Oak Meadow syllabus)

P.E.: Parkour class and daily exercise

He's also picking up the guitar again, so we'll use that as well if we must. :) We have Logic also - I forgot about that.

I live in a state where homeschooling for high school is basically an all or nothing proposition. My son had homeschooled for five years, but decided to try public school for high school. He needed the social outlet. At the semester in 9th grade, he decided that there were things we did much better at home. The school issues grades and keeps a transcript like normal, but none of the work he does with me will count towards a diploma from the high school and his diploma will  come from me.  My two older children each had a year at home during high school, but I used all accredited classes for them. Ds and opted out of that route, because I wasn't happy with the quality of many of those classes which came from BYU, Keystone, K12, and Connections.

I hope this helps.

I live in a state where homeschooling for high school is basically an all or nothing proposition. My son had homeschooled for five years, but decided to try public school for high school. He needed the social outlet. At the semester in 9th grade, he decided that there were things we did much better at home. The school issues grades and keeps a transcript like normal, but none of the work he does with me will count towards a diploma from the high school and his diploma will  come from me.  My two older children each had a year at home during high school, but I used all accredited classes for them. Ds and opted out of that route, because I wasn't happy with the quality of many of those classes which came from BYU, Keystone, K12, and Connections.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for explaining. It helps a lot, now I have an idea of what the local public school will do. So if or when he applies to college he will use the transcript from you? In the course description of the classes from the public school, do you just state that he took the class at blank school? 

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious  :)

My public school permits partial enrollment.  In our state, the student is still considered a homeschooler unless he enrolls full-time in the public school.  As a homeschooler, I am responsible for maintaining the high school transcript and assigning credits for my kids.  The public school has no knowledge of any of the classes a homeschooler is taking outside of the public school system.

My public school permits partial enrollment.  In our state, the student is still considered a homeschooler unless he enrolls full-time in the public school.  As a homeschooler, I am responsible for maintaining the high school transcript and assigning credits for my kids.  The public school has no knowledge of any of the classes a homeschooler is taking outside of the public school system.

This is exactly the same for where we are. What I mean by "all or nothing" is that once you step outside of the public school framework, you are committed, which is why ds and I had a very long heart-to-heart conversation before making the final decision. If my son were to decide to go back to the high school full time at any point, he would have to make up the missing credits from the courses he took from me. From this point on, there is a lot of incentive for him to make things work. He has two advanced classes from me this fall and is doing summer work for them. While he is not exactly happy, I am getting a lot less push back than I have in previous years.

Math: AOPS Precalculus + Intermediate Counting & Probability

Science: Giancoli Physics

History: American History and Gov't.

English: American literature; They Say, I Say; TC lectures

Foreign language: Japanese (Genki)

Art and piano are outsourced. She will also be taking Stats, Python, and an Astronomy survey through Coursera for "fun." But if her interest in the subjects continue, we'll someday find a way to round out credits for them.

This is what my oldest did last year in 9th grade:

English: Windows to the World in coop, with To Kill a Mockingbird, Jane Eyre and Hamlet added (as scheduled in the Jill Pike syllabus).  The course included literary analysis and essay writing.  No specific grammar instruction, but grammar was graded in paragraphs and essays.

Math: Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Algebra book, chapters 12-22 (which covers Algebra 2 topics)

History: Modern World and US History from 1850-the Present.  This was a reading intensive course my dh designed.  Used lectures from several Teaching Company sets, fiction and non-fiction written during the period studied, secondary histories (like Battle Cry of Freedom for the Civil War), and Western Heritage by Kagan.

Science: Physics.  We started with College Physics by Knight Jones, but it was just too much for us.  We moved to Apologia Physics and are still completing that.  (I did like the College Physics book, but it was a real step up for my kids.  I didn't stay on top of it and answering questions required quite a bit of research on my part.  While I've taken physics, it was a long time ago and it's not a topic I know instinctively.)

PE:  Competitive swimming 5 days a week.

Foreign Language: German from Oklahoma State University and Latin from the Lukeion Project  (I notice you don't have a foreign language.  It would probably be good to go ahead and start one in 9th grade.  Many college require 3 years now, and waiting to start doesn't give you any room for recovering from a slow start.  Two language is certainly not necessary.  We lived in Germany when the boys were little and have tried to keep their language skills active.)

We're still working on 9th grade plans, but this is what I've got so far:

At home:

Science : Biology Miller/Levine with labs

Math: probably Lial's Precalculus, maybe with LOF trigonometry

Spanish: not sure

Health: combo of Red Cross first aid & reading stuff at home, still working on the plans

At public school:

9th grade English

AP European History

band

Extras:

swim team

debate team

maybe robotics

orchestra

jazz band

The guidance counselor at our public school told us that ds could either work towards a public school diploma, or he could just take classes "a la carte." The counselor encouraged ds to start out part time, and transition to full-time next year, since he hasn't attended public school since kindergarten. DS isn't sure if he's going to want to go full-time next year, but luckily he doesn't have to make that decision now. We'll see how this year goes first.

• 5 months later...